PDA

View Full Version : low gas light

ssmcclub
03-07-2014, 10:22 PM
About how much gas do you have left in the tank when the low gas light comes on ?:pray:

NancysToy
03-07-2014, 10:40 PM
About 1.4 to 1.5 gallons. The tank volume is 6.6 gallons for yours, but the usable capacity is 6.0 gallons. Most riders go by mileage, and just use the tripo meter, resetting it at each fuel stop.

Dan_Ashley
03-07-2014, 10:42 PM
About 1.4 to 1.5 gallons. The tank volume is 6.6 gallons for yours, but the usable capacity is 6.0 gallons. Most riders go by mileage, and just use the tripo meter, resetting it at each fuel stop.
That's what I do. And I check how full the tank is after each fill up by sticking my finger into it. I don't trust the gage.

Blue Star
03-07-2014, 11:45 PM
About how much gas do you have left in the tank when the low gas light comes on ?:pray:

I don't know for the 2014 RS, but for the 2014 RT my fuel light came on at 171.5 miles, I ran out of gas at 208.5 miles, and averaged 32.15 mpg on that tank.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-07-2014, 11:58 PM
Most riders go by mileage, and just use the tripo meter, resetting it at each fuel stop.
I found out the hard way that's not always a trustworthy method. I got stranded on a busy divided highway in TX last September. I saw the trip odo on my Goldwing was at 190 miles as I was passing thru Decatur just after dark. "Better get gas in the next 20 miles or so," I thought. Miles to empty was generally about 250. Just as I passed the last exit I saw the gas light was on. Ran out of gas 10 miles down the road, 2 miles short of the next station. Headwind had sucked up 50 miles out of that tank of gas!

NancysToy
03-08-2014, 07:08 AM
I found out the hard way that's not always a trustworthy method. I got stranded on a busy divided highway in TX last September. I saw the trip odo on my Goldwing was at 190 miles as I was passing thru Decatur just after dark. "Better get gas in the next 20 miles or so," I thought. Miles to empty was generally about 250. Just as I passed the last exit I saw the gas light was on. Ran out of gas 10 miles down the road, 2 miles short of the next station. Headwind had sucked up 50 miles out of that tank of gas!
The trick with the trip meter is to get gas before the light comes on! In headwinds or other conditions your mileage may vary significatly from average, so you may not make it to your planned stopping point. That can leave you out of luck if you cut it too close. In these cases I always remember what my dad told me when I was a pup. He said that you don't need to wait until the tank is empty...it costs the same to travel 500 miles whether you fill up when you are on fumes or you filll up at half a tank. There is really no need to cut things too close. Out West it pays to start searching at half a tank or so...there may not be a gas station within 40 miles if you wait for the light.

Cleg
03-08-2014, 07:25 AM

:gaah:NOT enough...especially when driving at highway speeds into the wind:opps::opps: Best to start looking for the place to stop soon. Been there done that and my '12 RT left me once:banghead: at 1 mile short of the planed stop. The post earlier that says it cost the sam to run 500 miles whether filled at ½ tank or fumes is so true:bowdown:. Be safe and fill it when the light shows...sucks to have to walk:). Ryde safely....

ssmcclub
03-08-2014, 07:33 AM
ok thank you guys

jcthorne
03-08-2014, 07:45 AM
Follow up question on reading the digital gauge on the center lcd panel.

The fuel light comes on when the second to last bar goes off, leaving one bar. Does that last bar go off before its actually empty?

Reason I ask is when my light comes on, if I fill then, I can never put more than about 4.2 to 4.3 gallons in. I have gone as far as 25 miles past the light coming on but the last bar never went out. Just wondering how the gauge works in the last few miles of fuel.

Bob Denman
03-08-2014, 09:03 AM
You're Downstate from me...
What sort of rding and traffic conditions, will be encountering?
Up here in the Boondocks; I can get the bike opened-up, and my fuel mileage is pretty good. I can comfortably travel at least 135 miles before a fuel stop.
I would suggest that you limit your initial "trips" between stops to maybe 100, to 110 miles. That'll then give you a good idea as to what your safe travelling range will be.
Everybody has their own methodology; I NEVER trust the gauge... I trust the trip odometer! :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-08-2014, 11:56 AM
I have ridden my Spyders long enough to know what I can usually expect in mileage accounting for conditions. That being said I also carry two small aluminum containers ( orig.for water ) that I bought at the Dollar Store that hold 25 oz each.......True this is not much but where I normally ride I'm not far from a gas station......So I'll go 175 miles and then get gas......So far I've not run out and had to use my spare. However at Spyderquest 2014 I did give one to a couple on a Silver RT near the Balloon launch because He did run out .........Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
03-08-2014, 02:05 PM
We are finding that no two :ani29:'s are exactly alike. I always zero the A meter when filling up. I know that my refill lights are going to go on at about 140 to 150 miles. I usually refill at about a hundred because I have to get off the :spyder2: and stretch. This also gives me the secure feeling that I am not likely to run out of gas. I have pushed it to where the needle was below empty on the analog gauge and to where the final bar disappeared on the digital gauge. Both instances required 5+ gallons to refill. 5.8 gallons and 185 miles is my record--0ne time. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-08-2014, 02:17 PM
...But since it's so much fun :shocked:; walking home, and trying to find a fuel container :gaah:, it's best to find that "comfortable zone", for both you AND your bike! :D
Records, are for folks who need to be heroes...

ARtraveler
03-08-2014, 02:20 PM
...But since it's so much fun :shocked:; walking home, and trying to find a fuel container :gaah:, it's best to find that "comfortable zone", for both you AND your bike! :D
Records, are for folks who need to be heroes...

My "record" was very unintentional and both times were caused when I chose to blow by a gas station. The second time was on the Alcan Highway and that one did scare me a bit. I am more wise these days. :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
03-08-2014, 02:24 PM
I was hoping you wouldn't think that I was discussing your maximum distance travelled... :shocked:
I was just trying to bring home the point, that it's better to NOT run out of fuel! :D

ARtraveler
03-08-2014, 02:31 PM
I was hoping you wouldn't think that I was discussing your maximum distance travelled... :shocked:
I was just trying to bring home the point, that it's better to NOT run out of fuel! :D

No, I did not take it that way. I totally agree, not a good idea to put yourself in a place where it is possible to run out of fuel. For me, if that happens, I cannot go hiking on my own. Not a good place to be in.

Bob Denman
03-08-2014, 02:35 PM
:agree: :shocked:
You're far too remote up there...

tbhlaw
03-08-2014, 05:21 PM
I have one of the Garmin's that BRP sold with the RT. I use Trip Meter A to track mileage. But the Garmin has a great feature in that if I tap the gas pump icon, it will display gas stations in the next 100 miles or so. When I reach about 1/2 a tank of gas, I tap the icon to see what my gas options are so I can plan my gas stops.

Spyder ri
03-09-2014, 08:33 AM
I have ridden my Spyders long enough to know what I can usually expect in mileage accounting for conditions. That being said I also carry two small aluminum containers ( orig.for water ) that I bought at the Dollar Store that hold 25 oz each.......True this is not much but where I normally ride I'm not far from a gas station......So I'll go 175 miles and then get gas......So far I've not run out and had to use my spare. However at Spyderquest 2014 I did give one to a couple on a Silver RT near the Balloon launch because He did run out .........Mike :thumbup:

You're a nice guy, always helping out those in need.... See you at Spyderquest in Sept.

-Steve G
(The guy you helped load on the trailer last year)

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-09-2014, 04:15 PM
You're a nice guy, always helping out those in need.... See you at Spyderquest in Sept. Thanks for the compliment .......I hope Bob reads this :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:..............I need all the help I can get today

-Steve G
(The guy you helped load on the trailer last year).......Your very welcome, I'm sure you would do it for some other guy/girl in a jamb.................and I hope to see you at Spyderquest also........Mike :thumbup:

900Dave
03-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Follow up question on reading the digital gauge on the center lcd panel.

The fuel light comes on when the second to last bar goes off, leaving one bar. Does that last bar go off before its actually empty?

Reason I ask is when my light comes on, if I fill then, I can never put more than about 4.2 to 4.3 gallons in. I have gone as far as 25 miles past the light coming on but the last bar never went out. Just wondering how the gauge works in the last few miles of fuel.

My last bar went off today just before I filled up. I put in 4.9 gallons. I dont stick the fuel pump nozzle all the way in. I put it in about an inch and then stop when it clicks off.

SPYDERGUY1
03-11-2014, 10:18 PM
Sir. I have ridden the Montanna region, and when the gas light comes on YOU BETTER FIND A STATION. I went on a road trip from St mary's ( road to the rising sun ) to Great fall's on a Sunday. Left early in the day with full fuel. Never thought about being an issue. Coming back was FREAKING OUT, all the gas stations CLOSED, on a SUNDAY afternoon, Did fuel up in Great Falls. None the less kinda scary. If the light comes on , PLAY THE BLACKJACK or GET SOME FUEL. Just my OPINION.