PDA

View Full Version : MP-3 players

eagle
03-07-2014, 06:23 PM
I use my mp-3 players quite a lot while on longer trips, but find it inconvenient to have it in the rear trunk. I would like to run an audio cable from trunk up to the handle bar area, so player can be in front of me for easy operating. Has anyone done this? Have two questions= 1st how to remove passenger back rest 2nd how to remove antenna mount, hoping to rout cable in this area. Any help? Thanks.

szohar
03-07-2014, 06:35 PM
Another option you can consider is a BT dongle you can purchase and connect both through this wireless connection.

I am not sure what connector you have in the back, but this is an example:

BrightPlay - 30 Pin Bluetooth Audio Receiver/ Adapter for Iphone's and Ipod's http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/1IARJBS44CK9X/ref=topnav_lists_1

Wireless is always simpler :)

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-07-2014, 06:47 PM
I use my mp-3 players quite a lot while on longer trips, but find it inconvenient to have it in the rear trunk. I would like to run an audio cable from trunk up to the handle bar area, so player can be in front of me for easy operating. Has anyone done this? Have two questions= 1st how to remove passenger back rest 2nd how to remove antenna mount, hoping to rout cable in this area. Any help? Thanks.
You have the radio installed and you plug the mp3 into the auxiliary input in the trunk, right?

Your mp3 player is used, right? I'd suggest you look at replacing it with a used iPod Nano, 6th generation or older. BRP has done a great job of integrating iPod controls into the audio system.

There are five screws to remove the seat back, three T30 directly behind inside the trunk, and two T20s at the top between the trunk hinges. The side boxes with the antenna mounts have three T30 screws inside the trunk on the side. There's space between the box and the trunk wall to run a cable. You will need to remove the rear plastic to remove the side boxes. That's eight T30 screws, four on the trunk lip and two at each end under the saddle bag doors. Keep track of what screws come from where. They are different lengths and some have plastic washers.

I have an extra iPod cable for the aux input if anyone would like to buy it.

Bob Denman
03-07-2014, 07:09 PM
And I've got a spare MP3 player cable, if one of those is needed!
(Sounds as if we've got the market covered! :D)

finless
03-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Be careful about the MP3 player cable! Radios prior to some point in 2012 the MP3 cable had a black box on it (my 2011 does). This has voltage regulators etc. At some point in 2012 the radio changed and the cable no longer had the black box as they integrated it into the radio itself. The 2 cables are not interchangeable! So before using someone else's cable make sure you know which type you need.

Also I am with WasWinger. Find a used or old iPod. It integrates with the dash board allowing you to pick songs, albums, titles and play lists. Well worth it rather than running a cable to the dash for a standard MP3 player.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?54670-My-2nd-tip!-iPod-connection-and-some-tips-with-your-iPod

Bob

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Be careful about the MP3 player cable! Radios prior to some point in 2012 the MP3 cable had a black box on it (my 2011 does)
That was the iPod cable, not the non-iPod mp3 player cable, isn't it? They moved the voltage converter into the plug I believe, so either cable will work with an iPod. An mp3 player needs its own power as the mp3 cable is stereo audio only.

Bob Denman
03-08-2014, 12:07 PM
:agree: The original IPod cable had that black box in the middle of it... :shocked:
The MP-3 cable just hooks into the player just as a set of earbuds would... simple audio output only. ;)

scott16119
03-08-2014, 12:32 PM
Unless u are really "anti-apple" I have to agree with just getting an ipod or older iPhone. I just leave my old IPhone 3s back there all the time. Just thinking out loud here, but would a newer iPhone 5 work with just an adaptor, or is there more involved?

DaveL
03-08-2014, 05:55 PM
Unless u are really "anti-apple" I have to agree with just getting an ipod or older iPhone. I just leave my old IPhone 3s back there all the time. Just thinking out loud here, but would a newer iPhone 5 work with just an adaptor, or is there more involved?
You can purchase a firewire adapter to make any of the newer apple devices work with the old connector.

jthornton
03-08-2014, 06:02 PM
Be careful about the MP3 player cable! Radios prior to some point in 2012 the MP3 cable had a black box on it (my 2011 does). This has voltage regulators etc. At some point in 2012 the radio changed and the cable no longer had the black box as they integrated it into the radio itself. The 2 cables are not interchangeable! So before using someone else's cable make sure you know which type you need.

Also I am with WasWinger. Find a used or old iPod. It integrates with the dash board allowing you to pick songs, albums, titles and play lists. Well worth it rather than running a cable to the dash for a standard MP3 player.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?54670-My-2nd-tip!-iPod-connection-and-some-tips-with-your-iPod

Bob

+1 on the ipod

JT

finless
03-08-2014, 06:27 PM
That was the iPod cable, not the non-iPod mp3 player cable, isn't it? They moved the voltage converter into the plug I believe, so either cable will work with an iPod. An mp3 player needs its own power as the mp3 cable is stereo audio only.

No the newer radio requires the new iPod cable which doesn't have the black box. There is a videro on YouTube where a brp much explains this.

Bob

kepople
03-13-2014, 08:40 AM
I have my daughters old Iphone4 back there, smashed screen and all. Not sure why people become anti apple, but the system works well. even though I dont have service, it does connect to my home wifi. so when I buy a song, it automatically shows up on the iphone in the spyder as soon as I pull in the garage. And even better, its automatically backedup to the icloud, so if it gets stolen, I just put another in there, and give it the same id, and viola, its back.

It works as designed, by BRP. Only issue is that, the BRP interface should have a browse option so you can change the play list.

I would use the bluetooth dongle, but to me, its ridiculously over priced.

Hawk
03-13-2014, 09:07 AM
I am pretty much anti-apple, and I got an apple nano (the square one) because I can use it with the dash and controls on the Spyder. Its small and out of the way. The shuffle would be the way to go, cheap, no screen (cuz you don't need it), but it uses a different cable interface than the apple cable that comes with the Spyder. Now the new nano and ipods are lightning cables, so I am unsure if you can use the newest versions with the Spyder. See if you can find a used square nano 6th generation. You could probably even get one that has a cracked screen as long as it works.

Here is one with a few scratches and no bids:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPod-Nano-16-GB-Graphite-6th-Generation-Used-but-with-Full-Functions-/251469014175?pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item3a8cb8a49f

shelbydave
03-13-2014, 10:47 AM
I would have to agree with the iPod route. I'm certainly not pro -apple, but it is much easier than running wires up to the front, and trying to mount the MP3 player. Once you have all that, you will probably discover that you have no more direct control than you did before, as you shouldn't be trying to navigate that little screen while riding anyhow. You also have to deal with weather, sunlight, etc... This is AFTER you have performed the surgery to get it up front.

I keep my ipod in the trunk. I made a little pocket, and attached it to the side, out of the way.

If you can find an iPod touch for cheap, you MAY be able to transfer music to it without even removing it from the Spyder via WIFI...

finless
03-13-2014, 10:50 AM
Now the new nano and ipods are lightning cables, so I am unsure if you can use the newest versions with the Spyder. See if you can find a used square nano 6th generation. You could probably even get one that has a cracked screen as long as it works.

The lightning to old larger Apple plug adapter is available and works on the Spyder.

Check Ebay. Lots of old Gen3 and 4 iPods with cracked screens available for cheap!

Bob

PatGund
03-13-2014, 02:15 PM
When Apple recalled my old 1st Gen Nano and replaced it for free with a 6th Gen nano, I took the 5th Gen one I had been using and tucked it away. When I got my RT, I dug it out and used that. It's been a pretty reliable add on. Every so often I bring it to my computer to update the playlist, but that's about it.