PDA

View Full Version : A VERY Expensive New Part* (or I can't believe what my wife let me do.)

MRH
03-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Strangely enough, as the result of a failure in the throttle body on my 2010 RT, after the repair it seems to have picked up a bit of power, I've discovered and extra gear, and the color is a whole lot brighter and louder. Who would have known?

My wife, Jennifer, and I took the Spyder to Vegas from LA, which is actually it's first trip across state lines, and it decided that was the perfect time to turn an intermittent, and almost impossible to repeat, set of error codes and turn it into a constant issue. Almost an hour out of Vegas on our way home, and just over the CA state line, it apparently decided that it liked the slots just a little bit too much and died on the road.

It's good to have AAA towing with the 100 mile allowance.

With the help of the people here (and anticipating a possible issue a day or so before), I'd located a great BRP focused dealer in Vegas/Henderson, Pro Shops. One has to understand that every 3000 or so miles my used RT seems to have had one issue or another, and that now that my wife was finally on the bike with me she saw things a little bit differently. I have a great wife (who also really doesn't want to imagine me on a troubled bike somewhere alone in the mountains, or be on one herself with me). I loved my Spyder, but she clearly preferred to stay in the desert.

I want to thank Lou Gotowski for again offering his great advice, this time by phone.

We looked at our options, and I was very certain that I wanted to keep my vented windshield. So we just swapped the 1 ton part where the windshield attaches to, and it seems to have come with all sorts of upgrades (and a far better ride, especially for two). The repair was done while we waited (most of the day, but the new "part" apparently required some assembly out of the crate). Regrettably, it wasn't quite covered under warranty, but did come with a warranty of it's own. And it's yellow, and has nice shiny parts, and boy does it go fast!

The dealer made what I thought was a very good deal for us on the new part, and credited us nicely on the older, more experienced, part we left behind (thank you, Pro Shops in Henderson, NV).

And, best of all, I let my wife make the call for us, and while I bought the first Spyder on my own, she considers the back seat on this one to be her personal space. I'm more than happy to oblige. Today is her birthday, and it was exactly seven years ago that she said "yes" to me the first time.

This comes in as a very close second.

Bob Denman
03-07-2014, 10:35 AM
:congrats: :nopic: :2thumbs:

Pennyrick
03-07-2014, 10:46 AM
Strangely enough, as the result of a failure in the throttle body on my 2010 RT, after the repair it seems to have picked up a bit of power, I've discovered and extra gear, and the color is a whole lot brighter and louder. Who would have known?

My wife, Jennifer, and I took the Spyder to Vegas from LA, which is actually it's first trip across state lines, and it decided that was the perfect time to turn an intermittent, and almost impossible to repeat, set of error codes and turn it into a constant issue. Almost an hour out of Vegas on our way home, and just over the CA state line, it apparently decided that it liked the slots just a little bit too much and died on the road.

With the help of the people here (and anticipating a possible issue a day or so before), I'd located a great BRP focused dealer in Vegas/Henderson, Pro Shops. One has to understand that every 3000 or so miles my used RT seems to have had one issue or another, and that now that my wife was finally on the bike with me she saw things a little bit differently. I have a great wife (who also really doesn't want to imagine me on a troubled bike somewhere alone in the mountains, or be on one herself with me). I loved my Spyder, but she clearly preferred to stay in the desert.

I want to thank Lou Gotowski for again offering his great advice, this time by phone.

We looked at our options, and I was very certain that I wanted to keep my vented windshield. So we just swapped the 1 ton part where the windshield attaches to, and it seems to have come with all sorts of upgrades (and a far better ride, especially for two). The repair was done while we waited (most of the day, but the new "part" apparently required some assembly out of the crate). Regrettably, it wasn't quite covered under warranty, but did come with a warranty of it's own. And it's yellow, and has nice shiny parts, and boy does it go fast!

The dealer made what I thought was a very good deal for us on the new part, and credited us nicely on the older, more experienced, part we left behind (thank you, Pro Shops in Henderson, NV).

And, best of all, I let my wife make the call for us, and while I bought the first Spyder on my own, she considers the back seat on this one to be her personal space. I'm more than happy to oblige. Today is her birthday, and it was exactly seven years ago that she said "yes" to me the first time.

Very neat story.

Congratulations on your new 'part'.

Lamonster
03-07-2014, 10:52 AM
:congrats::yes:

oldgoat
03-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Great story. Read it to my wife who would have traded the windshield& kept the bike.

Motorcycledave
03-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Your WIFE and my WIFE must be related that is the way mine thinks also.
lucky us.
Congrats on the new ride, ENJOY
Ride Safe
Dave

Cavman
03-07-2014, 12:08 PM
It's good to you pick the correct color of the new part too.

Lin
03-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Congratulations! I hope everyone has a great ride home.

DR Buck
03-07-2014, 12:28 PM
:congrats::yes:

:agree:

DJFaninTN
03-07-2014, 12:37 PM
luv happy endings

ARtraveler
03-07-2014, 12:42 PM
:congrats: on your new ryde. :cheers: to many miles and smiles. Another vote for yellow. :thumbup:

mindman
03-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Congratulations! Gotta Love when things "just work out"
:yes::thumbup:

bruiser
03-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Hope the new part lasts longer than the old one.

dadof4
03-07-2014, 02:49 PM
That's a great story! It made me smile.

Tango
03-07-2014, 06:46 PM
:congrats::ohyea:

Spyder in La.
03-07-2014, 09:36 PM
:congrats::ohyea:

.... Awesome Story!!!...:yes::clap:

GloryRyders
03-08-2014, 07:21 AM
:congrats: on your new :spyder:part!:yes:

Cleg
03-08-2014, 07:33 AM
:cus: sometimes those "new parts" just need to be purchased without :chat:ing about it. My wife wondered what kind of new parts would be that expensive, but certainly agreed the rear seat was her personal space for sure. :congrats: and ride on safely.