PDA

View Full Version : Battery charging

One Legged Willie
03-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Hi,

I had a new battery installed in January and left for a month and the battery was dead. I put the trickle charger on it for a couple of days with no effect. Tried to jump start it with my truck and it wouldn't spin at all. Question is whether I can charge it off the posts under the seat with a 10 amp charger or do I need to pull the battery, it could be possible that the dealer never reconnected the battery tender with the installation of the new battery.

Thanks

jeffblackmore1
03-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Hi,

I had a new battery installed in January and left for a month and the battery was dead. I put the trickle charger on it for a couple of days with no effect. Tried to jump start it with my truck and it wouldn't spin at all. Question is whether I can charge it off the posts under the seat with a 10 amp charger or do I need to pull the battery, it could be possible that the dealer never reconnected the battery tender with the installation of the new battery.

Thanks

That is what it sounds like to me. I would call the dealer. See what they say. They should fix it.

NancysToy
03-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Lots of possibilities, including a battery that is toast. After checking the connections you should charge the battery a bit with a conventional charger. Battery Tenders will not charge a completely dead or badly depleted battery. Ten amps is too much for a small AGM battery, however. You should not charge at more than two amps or battery damage is likely...and they can actually explode. Charge it with a conventional trickle charger then finish off with a tender. A completely dead battery sometimes cannot be jump started until the other vehicle charges the battery for a while. The fact that it cannot may indicate loose battery connections or a loose frame ground, however. Loose or corroded connections will inhibit both charging and starting. One final thing, just in case it was overlooked...be sure the kill switch is in the run position.

One Legged Willie
03-07-2014, 05:49 PM
After reading a few other threads I realized that the tender will not charge a dead battery so I charged it at 10 amps for a while then switched over to 2 amps overnight. It started fine and I even washed it for good behavior. It was down for 2 weeks before I left for Minnesota for a month and felt really good getting out for a bit.

Thanks for the input, and I put the tender back on and it seems to be functioning correctly too.

Bob Denman
03-07-2014, 06:15 PM
:2thumbs: :congrats: Glad to hear that the battery just needed a little bit of the right kind of attention... :D