PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Wiring Problems

SpyderAnn01
03-06-2014, 05:42 PM
:banghead: I have a 2010 RT 622 trailer and now I have a 2014 RTS. I went to my dealer to get the wiring that I needed to change the 9 pin round connectors on the trailer to work with the new square connectors on the Spyder. He sold me over $200 worth of stuff that we got home and found out won't work. So I call the dealer and say hey you sold me the wrong stuff and he says sorry but you can't return it. :banghead:

So my husband finds the connector, a 4 pole square connector, online through Hopkins Trailer Products. He calls and orders it on Tuesday to be sent via FedEX overnight for next day delivery at an upcharge of $40. It didn't come yesterday and hadn't shown up today so I call Hopkins and they said it shipped overnight today. So sorry about the $40 but they don't want to refund that. :banghead:

We are leaving tomorrow for San Francisco and really would like to take a trailer with working lights but it doesn't look like that will happen.

Rant over. No, on second thought, why the heck did BRP have to go and change the wiring every stinking year? How dumb is that?

boomerkc
03-06-2014, 05:52 PM
I just blame it on those :cus: French Canadian Engineers at BRP. Makes me feel better.............

tigerdr
03-06-2014, 06:04 PM
I just blame it on those :cus: French Canadian Engineers at BRP. Makes me feel better.............

I hope you feel good with that dumb remark. It's inappropriate.

I am very proud of BRP. Spyder assembly plant is near my home and BRP workers gives the maximum in their jobs.

Sorry for my english.

Bob Denman
03-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Didn't the 2010 622s really have a "funky" setup? :dontknow:
Jim's right; Blame it on the LaBatt's at lunchtime! :roflblack:

EDIT: And I like it too! :thumbup:

Cal777
03-06-2014, 06:49 PM
:banghead: I have a 2010 RT 622 trailer and now I have a 2014 RTS. I went to my dealer to get the wiring that I needed to change the 9 pin round connectors on the trailer to work with the new square connectors on the Spyder. He sold me over $200 worth of stuff that we got home and found out won't work. So I call the dealer and say hey you sold me the wrong stuff and he says sorry but you can't return it. :banghead:

So my husband finds the connector, a 4 pole square connector, online through Hopkins Trailer Products. He calls and orders it on Tuesday to be sent via FedEX overnight for next day delivery at an upcharge of $40. It didn't come yesterday and hadn't shown up today so I call Hopkins and they said it shipped overnight today. So sorry about the $40 but they don't want to refund that. :banghead:

We are leaving tomorrow for San Francisco and really would like to take a trailer with working lights but it doesn't look like that will happen.

Rant over. No, on second thought, why the heck did BRP have to go and change the wiring every stinking year? How dumb is that?

Anne
I have ran into the same problem. I went to my dealer about a month ago asking for whatever I would need to hook up my 2010 trailer lights to my 2014 RTL. They ordered me a 710 003 200 Module Harness and a 710 003 227 Tongue Harness that had a plug on one end. I am always running behind and didn't open it until Mon as I was installing farkles getting ready for our trip to Daytona. I opened the packages, took a look and Ray Charles could see that that something was missing. I went back to my dealer Tue and they did further research and found that I also needed Tail Light Module 710 003 198 and Trailer Harness 710 003 272 for the RT and a Locking Wedge 278000636 to adapt the Tongue Harness to the connector on the trailer. It is supposed to be in tomorrow, so hopefully we will be able to ride down instead of pulling. If I can be of any help just let me know. Rudy

Cavman
03-06-2014, 07:22 PM
I installed a trailer module harness on my 2010 RT last Summer. It lasted all of two months before it was useless. I had a buy another at the dealer but have yet to install it. Need to find the directions. It's sad that something that expensive only lasted two months.

The trailer I have has a four prong wiring system. Doc in South GA made me an adapter harness for my set up.
I have extra yellow LEDs on the storage pipes and small red LEDs on the tail lights. There is an aux battery on the trailer that I hook up when I'm pulling the trailer. At least it has lights. No brake lights or turn signals working again on the trailer......yet.

SpyderAnn01
03-06-2014, 07:36 PM
Anne
I have ran into the same problem. I went to my dealer about a month ago asking for whatever I would need to hook up my 2010 trailer lights to my 2014 RTL. They ordered me a 710 003 200 Module Harness and a 710 003 227 Tongue Harness that had a plug on one end. I am always running behind and didn't open it until Mon as I was installing farkles getting ready for our trip to Daytona. I opened the packages, took a look and Ray Charles could see that that something was missing. I went back to my dealer Tue and they did further research and found that I also needed Tail Light Module 710 003 198 and Trailer Harness 710 003 272 for the RT and a Locking Wedge 278000636 to adapt the Tongue Harness to the connector on the trailer. It is supposed to be in tomorrow, so hopefully we will be able to ride down instead of pulling. If I can be of any help just let me know. Rudy

Thanks for that info, I'll have to look to see what the part #s are on what they sold me. How much do you have invested in these parts? The problem definitely has to do with the tail lights as they changed the wiring for those in 2011. Joe thought that the only way to connect the parts they sold me would be to replace the tail lights.

ARtraveler
03-06-2014, 07:41 PM

There sometimes seems to be a pattern. :roflblack: How about the seats requiring different backrests instead of making the fit universal?

Rando
03-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Scotty?

ARtraveler
03-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Scotty?

Good idea. :2thumbs:

cyclelover63
03-06-2014, 07:52 PM
I wonder if a camper/Rv dealer could make you something up in a pinch to get you by on your trip..

Cal777
03-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Thanks for that info, I'll have to look to see what the part #s are on what they sold me. How much do you have invested in these parts? The problem definitely has to do with the tail lights as they changed the wiring for those in 2011. Joe thought that the only way to connect the parts they sold me would be to replace the tail lights.

I don't have the final bill in front of me, but I think totals about $330. I'll post it when I get the final bill. If this outfit doesn't work I think I may trying something different from the BRP hook up.

finless
03-06-2014, 07:58 PM
A volt meter and some creative thinking should be able to get your working in a pinch!
Bottom line there is a ground, riding lights, break, and left/right turn. Probe the connector coming out of the Spyder by trying each light with the meter connected and find the pins. Then just rewire the connector going to the trailer.

If I was there I would help you for sure.

Bob

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-06-2014, 08:50 PM
I'm such a dummy I didn't go to dealer with my Spyder to trailer hook-up I did it myself , with a Peterson connector that cost $ 15 ( for the Spyder )and a reg 4 prong flat connector for the trailer. Took about 1 hr. to set this up..........go figure :shocked: :yikes: :clap: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.........Mike :thumbup:...................I just really try to stay away from Dealers for the reasons mentioned in the Posts above ...........and I'm sorry for your problems with them.

harrypottar
03-06-2014, 09:26 PM
A volt meter and some creative thinking should be able to get your working in a pinch!
Bottom line there is a ground, riding lights, break, and left/right turn. Probe the connector coming out of the Spyder by trying each light with the meter connected and find the pins. Then just rewire the connector going to the trailer.

If I was there I would help you for sure.

Bob

:agree:,Anne, it not a big job to wire the trailer up, I'm sure your husband could do it in no time.
I have a 2010 trailer and the 2012 RT, and on my previous Jason ion trailer I had, I had to manually wire it up as well.

worth noting the 2010 as separate turn and brake light wires, your spyder will out put brake and turn together. You can simply cut the turn wires behind the trailer light housing and splice them into the brake wire.

harry

Spacetrucker
03-06-2014, 10:35 PM
I just cut the round end off and make my own plug. Napa has them they are a boat wiring plug? Woks fine now so ck napa out ok. They have them or a boat shop to?

NancysToy
03-06-2014, 11:33 PM
I'm not sure what the dealer sold you, but most don't know their backides from the Grand Canyon as far as the trailers are concerned, so I would never ask one for either parts or advice. The square-4 connectors aren't common, but most good trailer or RV shops have them, so I'd be surprised if they were not available locally. I have even seen them at Tractor Supply. Hopkins sure as shooting should refund the exhorbitant $40 upcharge...it was there error. I'd be pissed, too!

There are two ways to do this once you have the square-4 in your hand. Either cut off the round-9 and replace it with the square-4, or splice the square-4 into the harness and retain both. The 2010 trailer has separate brakelights and turn signals. The later harnesses have combined brake/turn output. Fortunately the 2010 trailer has separate right and left brake circuits, so you just forget about the original turn signal wires and splice into the two brake light wires. I'd test the outputs and functions before making the connections permanent. Remember that the Spyder must be running for some trailer lighting functions to work.

Spyder trailer and module wiring colors have changed from time to time, too, and the wire colors change from front to back of the trailer, so I hesitate to tell you the wire colors, but here goes the best bet for the 2010 trailer tongue harness. Be sure to verify that yours are the same.

Brown = running lights
Blue = left turn
Yellow = not used (backup?)
Orange = left brake
Red = right brake
Green = right turn
Black = ground

The other ways this could have been done would have been:

1. Wire an LED compatible 5-to-4 converter into the Spyder wiring, bypassing the trailer harness) and connect a flat-4 to the trailer.

2. Wire directly from the Spyder wiring, bypassing the trailer harness, to a flat-5 tie togeter the right and left trailer brake wires and use a flat-5 on the trailer.

3. Splice in a flat-4 to the output side of the Spyder trailer module and splce the mating flat-4 to the trailer wiring as above.

Lots of ways to skin the cat, sorry in this case the one that was skinned was you.

I agree that the moving target with the Spyder trailer wiring has been maddening. 2010, 2011, 2011/2012, and 2013/2014 Spyder harnesses ere all different and 2010 trailer wiring differed from the rest of the years, too. The wiring colors do not match the same functions on the Spyder and the colors change from the front to back of the trailer, and often again at the taillight assembly. Few of the colors have been industry standards for trailers, but that is slowly changing. If it is any consolation, the trailer modules are now more reliable...and they are readily replaceable.

SeaBreeze
03-06-2014, 11:35 PM
I did my trailer. Can explain better by phone, 540-292-0806 or will try to explain with an email. mbvljv@gmail.com. Will be traveling to Daytona tomorrow so if I miss your call leave a call back # and will keep checking for call. Mark

SpyderAnn01
03-07-2014, 12:17 AM
Unfortunately we did not have time to fix the trailer tonight so when I get home next week I will read all if your suggestions and get this thing in working order. It is a pain trying to carry all if our alignment tools in the saddle bags instead of tool boxes.

Thank you you all for your suggestions

Purple Guy
03-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Have a safe trip Ann!