PDA

View Full Version : Drive belt just came off!!!

thecoast
03-06-2014, 02:36 AM
Well, it's been a while since I've posted. But I've had a lot of fun since I've posted on either forum I'm on. Then it happened.

I was on my way to my brand-spanking new job--second day of orientation, no less--when the Spyder (2008) decided to drop its drive belt. Fortunately, this happened probably less than a mile from home and I was only on a main street, not going faster then 40 mph. I suddenly felt this tap on my left boot and I thought something had fallen off. I get off the Spyder after pulling it over to the side of the street (no shoulder) and cars are going around me while I look around. (Yeah, sounds crazy:(). Then I look back at the Spyder and see that the belt had fallen off!!!:gaah: I was, like, what!!!??? :yikes: So I have a look at it while oncoming cars are avoiding me. I thought the belt had snapped in two or something, but it was in one piece. I decide to move it onto a perpendicular street 30 or 40 feet behind me. So I'm pushing/pulling the Spyder backwards and manage to not get run over or hit while finding a place to park it safely. Called my employer, called AAA (fortunately had the Spyder on it), called my father-in-law, and called Chaparral Motorsports in San Bernardino, CA. I would rather have taken it to Malcolm Smith, but it would be too far away for this.

AAA came in 10 minutes. Amazing! 5 stars for AAA:thumbup:. Anyway, Woody picked me up and I got into my (daughter's) Camry and got to work 45 minutes late.

Has anybody had their drive belt just fall off for no reason? If so, what'd the tech say?

I'm waiting on the tech to call me with what they think happened. Fortunately, I still have a few months left on my extended warranty. Hopefully, should be covered.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-06-2014, 02:49 AM
Then I look back at the Spyder and see that the belt had fallen off!!!
You mean fallen off as in coming off the pulleys (sprockets?) but still on the bike, right? Must have stretched over time, and/or the rear wheel axle has loosened so that the wheel cocked to one side. That would let the belt ride off the rear pulley.

Flanker
03-06-2014, 05:37 AM
Cripes! Glad to hear you weren't hit by any of the other traffic! Sounds like it was really busy where you conked out.

SNOOPY
03-06-2014, 06:11 AM
Wondering about some more info, mileage on bike? Original belt? How long these belts are supposed to last?

NancysToy
03-06-2014, 07:57 AM
They don't just come off for no reason. I'd check your drive sprocket real carefully...sounds like it may be history, and possibly the drive shaft slines, too. This was a serious problem for the 2008-2010 Spyders, and the drive belt tension was reduced to combat the problem. If yours was at the original tension, or even the first revised tension, it probably killed your sprocket...and possibly the drive shaft and drive shaft bearing. Beyond that an axle bolt that is inadequately torqued could allow the wheel to cock, throwing a belt. A bad rear wheel or sprocket bearing could, too. Sounds like there may be some serious mechanical repair ahead of you. So sorry...

Bob Denman
03-06-2014, 08:25 AM
Besides; there's an inner flange on the rear pulley... Isn't there a corresponding OUTER flange up front?
It shouldn't have happened... not without a whole lot of other things going wrong too...
Please keep us posted; good luck! :thumbup:

BajaRon
03-06-2014, 08:50 AM
Hopefully, it is the rear axle adjustment locks that were either left loose or got loose allowing the rear axle to move forward, dumping the drive belt. Simple fix. Otherwise, you may have serious issues as described by others.

I always glance at how my drive belt is sitting on the rear sprocket as I get on my Spyder. Easy to do and a great habit to get into.

DrewNJ
03-06-2014, 09:45 AM
They don't just come off for no reason. I'd check your drive sprocket real carefully...sounds like it may be history, and possibly the drive shaft slines, too. This was a serious problem for the 2008-2010 Spyders, and the drive belt tension was reduced to combat the problem. If yours was at the original tension, or even the first revised tension, it probably killed your sprocket...and possibly the drive shaft and drive shaft bearing. Beyond that an axle bolt that is inadequately torqued could allow the wheel to cock, throwing a belt. A bad rear wheel or sprocket bearing could, too. Sounds like there may be some serious mechanical repair ahead of you. So sorry...

Totally agree. Hopefully its rear wheel bearings or the adjusters but I'm doubtful...

How many miles?

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

finless
03-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Having just adjusted my belt, yes the front pulley has flanges on both sides.

When was the last time you had it in for service and the belt adjusted? Mine after 5K miles was too far away from the flange on the rear pulley and when I would go in reverse, it was damn close to coming off! Adjustment fixed that.

I ride with a lot of SRA-LA people out here and I have to say when I walk around and look at all the Spyders, most of them the belt is out of spec actually riding on the flange on the rear pulley. A few are wee out on the pulley and in my opinion just asking to come off.

Bob

NancysToy
03-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Having just adjusted my belt, yes the front pulley has flanges on both sides.

When was the last time you had it in for service and the belt adjusted? Mine after 5K miles was too far away from the flange on the rear pulley and when I would go in reverse, it was damn close to coming off! Adjustment fixed that.

I ride with a lot of SRA-LA people out here and I have to say when I walk around and look at all the Spyders, most of them the belt is out of spec actually riding on the flange on the rear pulley. A few are wee out on the pulley and in my opinion just asking to come off.

Bob

The 2008/2009 Spyders do not have flanges on both sides of the drive pulley, only the outside.

Bob Denman
03-06-2014, 10:01 AM
If it just "fell off", to the inside; I would think that it would have been a far more "interesting" event... :shocked:

finless
03-06-2014, 12:10 PM
The 2008/2009 Spyders do not have flanges on both sides of the drive pulley, only the outside.

I did not know that but that makes sense this was a problem on those models then...

Bob

BajaRon
03-06-2014, 12:13 PM
I did not know that but that makes sense this was a problem on those models then...

Bob

It's not a problem to have just 1 flange if the system is working properly. It's only when something goes wrong that you'd need an inside flange. And that will only mask the problem for a short time before things get bad enough to overcome the flange anyway.

NancysToy
03-06-2014, 12:52 PM
It's not a problem to have just 1 flange if the system is working properly. It's only when something goes wrong that you'd need an inside flange. And that will only mask the problem for a short time before things get bad enough to overcome the flange anyway.

:agree: Having one sprocket with the flange inside and the other outside is sound engineering practice. The inside flange on the front sprocket would be more likely to prevent damage to the crankcase in case the belt wandered to far inward, than anything else. Normally there is no reason to flange a pulley on both edges, with the exception of some idler pulleys.

dvmdf
03-07-2014, 12:57 PM
I just had my 2008 GS SE5 in for an oil change and the dealer recommended drive belt adjustment. It was done by them in 07/2010 at 5705 miles and 08/2010 at 6089 miles I have 15000 miles on it now. Should I have it done or they are BSing me?

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-07-2014, 02:54 PM
I just had my 2008 GS SE5 in for an oil change and the dealer recommended drive belt adjustment. It was done by them in 07/2010 at 5705 miles and 08/2010 at 6089 miles I have 15000 miles on it now. Should I have it done or they are BSing me?

First off, if want more than a SWAG you will at least have to tell us what the DEALER/STEALER is saying the adjustment is for or going to correct etc.....I'm very surprised that it was done at 5705 and then 384 miles later ( at 6089 ) this makes me think THEY DID IT WRONG and had to correct their mis-take ....and this alone would make me cautious .......because my STEALER is a HORROR story I am not trust-ful of them in general ....Cowtown and Pitbull I would take on faith alone ..........We need more info.....Mike :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Maintenance schedule, for 2013 RT anyway, says check every 4600 miles, or annually, and adjust if needed. I say have them check it, or did they already? I'd be inclined to say they're not BSing you.