PDA

View Full Version : trailer suggestions to move spyder

Paingod
08-15-2008, 07:15 PM
I will soon be in need of a trailer to haul my spyder to Fla.
Looking for safe suggestions for a light and small as possible trailer.
I am using a PT

bjt
08-15-2008, 08:31 PM
My dealer sells these trailers. (http://www.adventuresportsproducts.com/) He was just going on and on about how nice they are. I believe the one Spyder trailer that he sold was being towed by a smaller vehicle also and the owners reported that it worked great for them.

Roaddog2
08-15-2008, 08:38 PM
check out www.ironhorsetrailers.com they make some great trailers.:sour:just sold one that I used for my Roadglide in hope of getting another to fit Spyder and H-D :spyder:

Paingod
08-15-2008, 08:53 PM
BJT YOUR THE MAN!!!!!

Thats EXACTLY what I am looking for!!!!
Do you have any Idea what they cost???????

Thanks

bjt
08-15-2008, 09:05 PM
BJT YOUR THE MAN!!!!!

:opps: :opps: :opps: Awww shucks.... I only try to help if I can. :)

Sorry, no info on pricing but I'm sure they aren't cheap. For some reason, $4,000 or $5,000 is sticking in my head but I'm really not sure. I know their HUGE selling point for Spyder owners, all bikes really, is that the whole bed of the trailer lowers for loading and unloading so there are no ramps involved.

Sopher
08-15-2008, 09:12 PM
I got a brochure. It is $4000 plus more for two tone paint etc.
Nice, but too pricey.
I just bought a 6.5x12' all aluminum trailer with ramps. It's so light I can unhitch it and PICK IT UP by hand to move it next to the garage.

TJ_Spyder
08-15-2008, 09:23 PM
If you are looking for something not as fancy (and expensive) look for an aluminum trailer.

http://www.redhottrailers.com/aluminum.htm

They have a new aluminum trailer to fit the Spyder for less than $2K and it weighs around 450lbs. Of course adding the front rock guard and wheel chocks etc. adds $.

Bimjo
08-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Nice, but too pricey.
I just bought a 6.5x12' all aluminum trailer with ramps. It's so light I can unhitch it and PICK IT UP by hand to move it next to the garage.

Spill the details- where'd ya buy it?

Paingod
08-15-2008, 09:37 PM
If you are looking for something not as fancy (and expensive) look for an aluminum trailer.

http://www.redhottrailers.com/aluminum.htm

They have a new aluminum trailer to fit the Spyder for less than $2K and it weighs around 450lbs. Of course adding the front rock guard and wheel chocks etc. adds $.

Size (SMALL) and weight are the TOP priority, I am hoping to keep it in 1/2 of my 2 car garage. I have seen Aluminum trailers, but when you add the wheel wells they come in at about 8' wide. Kinda looking for something smaller.

bjt
08-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Any of the newer SpyderLovers here thinking about getting a trailer to haul their Spyder, one thing to be mindful of is the low clearance of the Spyder undercarriage. Many standard length loading ramps coupled with an average height trailer creates too acute of an angle at the back of the trailer for the Spyder and the undercarriage will hang up. People have had to come up with some kind of workaround in many instances to get a Spyder on the trailer. Longer ramps or loading from / unloading to a raised surface have worked.

Sopher
08-15-2008, 09:48 PM
The Aluminum trailer I got is made by MissionTrailers.com. 2500$ plus i bought a simple ATV ramp for the chaning the front wheel angle (ATV ramp set off halfway down trailer gate ramp.)

I could have got the 10' but they did not have them. I could have go a steel version for much less, but far too heavy to even lift by hand.

Oh, BTW, my gate is removable (pins and cotter) and my three side rails are removeable.

Oh and did I mention that the wheels are just as good looking as the aluminum alloy I rims I have on the truck! Oh and lights. It has so many lights, corners, tops of the wheel wells.

NancysToy
08-15-2008, 10:01 PM
I will soon be in need of a trailer to haul my spyder to Fla.
Looking for safe suggestions for a light and small as possible trailer.
I am using a PT
I don't know what the rated trailer rate is for a PT, but for my wife's HHR it is 1,000 pounds. Take a Spyder that is pushing 800 pounds, and that doesn't really enough capacity for a trailer. I would doubt you could get the whole rig to come in much under 1,500 pounds. Be careful, these little cars don't have engines, suspensions, and transmissions made for towing, especially through the mountains. Nothing worse than being broken down on the side of the road with thousands of dollars of motorcycle on an open trailer. Don't ask how I know! When you are stranded with a trailer, you are really starnded.
-Scotty

TJ_Spyder
08-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Size (SMALL) and weight are the TOP priority, I am hoping to keep it in 1/2 of my 2 car garage. I have seen Aluminum trailers, but when you add the wheel wells they come in at about 8' wide. Kinda looking for something smaller.

http://www.rocketmotorcycletrailers.com/130dt.html

Get one that flips up out of the way!

retread
08-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Check @ alumaklm.com their 7210 will handle a Spyder, weighs about 525, msrp 2200, person I talked to said dealers would probably be less.

Paingod
08-16-2008, 06:35 AM
I don't know what the rated trailer rate is for a PT, but for my wife's HHR it is 1,000 pounds. Take a Spyder that is pushing 800 pounds, and that doesn't really enough capacity for a trailer. I would doubt you could get the whole rig to come in much under 1,500 pounds. Be careful, these little cars don't have engines, suspensions, and transmissions made for towing, especially through the mountains. Nothing worse than being broken down on the side of the road with thousands of dollars of motorcycle on an open trailer. Don't ask how I know! When you are stranded with a trailer, you are really starnded.
-Scotty

The PT GT is also $1000 Lbs. was HOPING those were conservitive towing weights.

Could I get a general consensus here (I have never pulled a trailer with my vehicle) Is this a really bad Idea? Or is 1000 lbs. the limit??

Paingod
08-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Nice, but too pricey.

Dang you better grab that one for $4k, I just called the dealer in Mi and they want $5799 OUCH:sour:

NancysToy
08-16-2008, 10:58 AM
The PT GT is also $1000 Lbs. was HOPING those were conservitive towing weights.

Could I get a general consensus here (I have never pulled a trailer with my vehicle) Is this a really bad Idea? Or is 1000 lbs. the limit??
I certainly wouldn't do it. No frame on a PT, for one thing. You will be pulling with the body panels. I just went to a larger truck to tow my 3,500 GVWR trailer. My old truck had a towing capacity of 4,500 lbs, but the bigger trailer was a strain, and mechanical breakdowns became more frequent. It is considered to be unsafe to tow a trailer whose weight is more than the vehicle towing capacity. I had a bad towing accident that way years ago, so I believe them. It is also illegal in most states to tow a trailer whose GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is more than the tow vehicle's rated capacity. Unlikely to get busted for it, but in an accident, they would surely nail your hide to the wall, and a ticket would be likely. How about adding a Bushtec hitch to the Spyder, and forgetting the Cruiser altogether? :)
-Scotty

nyfdtsdemt
08-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Ok i picked up my trailer locallly in TN , It is a COVENT 6*10 with a RAMP door, the spyder will fit but.......................I will advise add a ramp flap.......spydies ass will rip of the trim if ya dont (only a 75 buck add) the spyder is 51" but due to the trailers configyou only have about 3" on each side, If you want to see how It fit i will post pics if ya like ..... and with alll the extras I added equipt rack and spare tire it only came out to 3200 bucks!

trikester
08-16-2008, 12:04 PM
I use the biggest Kendon folding trailer that is six feet x eight feet when unfolded. If I'm remembering correctly it is rated for 4000 lbs. Kendon is in Anaheim CA and a number of motorcycle dealers sell their trailers. I had a smaller one but I bought this one at the same time and place where I got my Spyder.

I like the Kendon trailers because after folding they can be stood upright and then they wheel on built in casters to sit flat against the garage wall.

jwfranklin
08-16-2008, 09:02 PM
As someone who was once in the trailer business, I wouldn't recommend anyone pull a trailer with either a PT or HHR. and if you do I would not exceed the rating of the car, in fact I always recommend staying at about 80% of the rating. One, most people underestimate the weight of their trailer and load. Two, I personally think the ratings are a lot of the time high. I have a Chevy Colorado rated at 5500 pound, I tried pulling about 4000 pound trailer, brakes on the trailer, with a brake controller in the truck. It would pull it but the truck was working hard. On my Chevy HD, it is rated at 12,500 pound and I try to stay under 10,000 pound. My 30ft toy hauler with 2 motorcycles in it is between 9500 and 10000 pounds, depending on which bikes I have in it. Boss Hoss's are heavier than Runes or V-rods. It pulls this load better and easier than the Colorado pulls the 4000 pound load. Long story short if you are going to tow, get a proper tow vehicle, Truck or SUV. Your Safety depends on it.

Wayne

Paingod
08-16-2008, 10:17 PM
As someone who was once in the trailer business, I wouldn't recommend anyone pull a trailer with either a PT or HHR. and if you do I would not exceed the rating of the car, in fact I always recommend staying at about 80% of the rating. One, most people underestimate the weight of their trailer and load. Two, I personally think the ratings are a lot of the time high. I have a Chevy Colorado rated at 5500 pound, I tried pulling about 4000 pound trailer, brakes on the trailer, with a brake controller in the truck. It would pull it but the truck was working hard. On my Chevy HD, it is rated at 12,500 pound and I try to stay under 10,000 pound. My 30ft toy hauler with 2 motorcycles in it is between 9500 and 10000 pounds, depending on which bikes I have in it. Boss Hoss's are heavier than Runes or V-rods. It pulls this load better and easier than the Colorado pulls the 4000 pound load. Long story short if you are going to tow, get a proper tow vehicle, Truck or SUV. Your Safety depends on it.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, I think I wil take your advise!
I will be looking for a bigger car

Paingod
08-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Well I just traded the PT on a more suitible trailering vehicle.
(Also bought 2 helmets and a jacket)
and I dont even have a :spyder:yet!!!! Good Grief

V8, off Road, and Trailer Pkg......
I hope im good to go now!!!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a152/paingod1/Rhonnie005.jpg

NancysToy
08-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Well I just traded the PT on a more suitible trailering vehicle.
(Also bought 2 helmets and a jacket)
and I dont even have a :spyder:yet!!!! Good Grief

V8, off Road, and Trailer Pkg......
I hope im good to go now!!!

I think you made the right decision. A vehicle has to fit its intended use. What's the sense in getting great mialeage if you can't use it to drive (or tow) where you want to go. Sort of like owning a convertible in the middle of a rainforest.
-Scotty

Extracool
08-30-2008, 09:47 PM
The Rocket Double Motorcycle all aluminum trailer with aluminum mags with 6 ply radials and torsion ride handles like a dream with the Spyder,with room to spare. The deck ia aluminum plate 6ftx9ft with a ramp that gives plenty of clearance for the front end of the Spyder. Trailer weight is 450lbs with capacity for about 1800 lbs, sell for about $3200 with alum spare and mounting bracket. The only way you know its behind you is to look in your rear view mirror.

Sopher
08-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Make sure your vehicle has a class III hitch. That's the one with the 2" square (roughly) receiver.

Paingod
08-31-2008, 07:08 AM
Scotty you had me scared

Make sure your vehicle has a class III hitch. That's the one with the 2" square (roughly) receiver.

Yep :D its ratrd to tow 6500 lbs. it also guarenteed to suck gas :2thumbs:

Paingod
08-31-2008, 07:18 AM
The Rocket Double Motorcycle all aluminum trailer with aluminum mags with 6 ply radials and torsion ride handles like a dream with the Spyder,with room to spare. The deck ia aluminum plate 6ftx9ft with a ramp that gives plenty of clearance for the front end of the Spyder. Trailer weight is 450lbs with capacity for about 1800 lbs, sell for about $3200 with alum spare and mounting bracket. The only way you know its behind you is to look in your rear view mirror.

Cool trailer, it would be my 1st choice however there are no dealers in Michigan.

one2doo
08-31-2008, 07:51 PM
I bought the one TJ posted Rocket Motorcycle trailer.com 465lbs the Spyder fits perfect. I can pull it easly with 4cyl Nissan Truck.I have looked at them all best bang for the buck.I live in the moutains.:2thumbs:

Paingod
08-31-2008, 08:43 PM
I bought the one TJ posted Rocket Motorcycle trailer.com 465lbs the Spyder fits perfect. I can pull it easly with 4cyl Nissan Truck.I have looked at them all best bang for the buck.I live in the moutains.:2thumbs:

Any Pics???

one2doo
08-31-2008, 09:00 PM
I will take some this week for you and post them.:doorag:"click:

TJ_Spyder
09-01-2008, 01:29 AM
I bought the one TJ posted Rocket Motorcycle trailer.com 465lbs the Spyder fits perfect. ...:2thumbs:

Thanks for the credit! Now I know which one I'm getting! :2thumbs: