PDA

View Full Version : Here's my Bluetooth dongle harness

3 Wheel Addict
03-05-2014, 11:54 AM
Thanks Finless Bob for the info on how to do it!! :thumbup::thumbup:

I got the plug and the pins from Evinrude and with an old USB cord and a 3.5mm audio cable made my own. Wrapped the whole cable in nylabraid sleeve, turned out really nice! The Evinrude connector plug is slightly different as it has a locking tab on both sides but it wont matter because the radio only has one lock pin. The plug fits right into the radio and works perfect! The Evinrude parts are not as cheap as the Mouser parts but might be easier to obtain for some people by just going to your local boat dealer. A tip for sealing the unused holes in the connector without buying those little plug pins, plastic tooth picks, they work great.

Evinrude part numbers:

Connector plug 3011169 (1 required)
Connector terminal 3011171 (5 required)

Roy
03-05-2014, 01:59 PM
Can you explain to me what this will allow you to do now, that you could not do before. Thanks

billybovine
03-05-2014, 03:23 PM

I got the plug and the pins from Evinrude and with an old USB cord and a 3.5mm audio cable made my own. Wrapped the whole cable in nylabraid sleeve, turned out really nice! The Evinrude connector plug is slightly different as it has a locking tab on both sides but it wont matter because the radio only has one lock pin. The plug fits right into the radio and works perfect! The Evinrude parts are not as cheap as the Mouser parts but might be easier to obtain for some people by just going to your local boat dealer. A tip for sealing the unused holes in the connector without buying those little plug pins, plastic tooth picks, they work great.

Evinrude part numbers:

Looks good.
I will have to sit down and make mine tonight. IT will have to be a little different, because I have an ST it will have to be longer. I want mine powered up all the time so I will have a separate power cord.

bandwagon
03-05-2014, 03:28 PM

Evinrude part numbers:

This allows what exactly?

billybovine
03-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Can you explain to me what this will allow you to do now, that you could not do before. Thanks

There is a kit available from BRP that connects the onboard radio to a Sena bluetooth dongle. That will transmit the radio sound to the bluetooth helmet communicator speakers instead of the onboard speakers. To save money folks are building their own cable and buying the Sena unit to do the same thing.

billybovine
03-05-2014, 03:35 PM
This is from the 2014 Accessories Catalog for those wanting to understand what we are try to accomplish.

3 Wheel Addict
03-05-2014, 04:10 PM
Looks good.
I will have to sit down and make mine tonight. IT will have to be a little different, because I have an ST it will have to be longer. I want mine powered up all the time so I will have a separate power cord.

Mine has the separate power cord built in, look close it has a 3.5mm audio and the micro USB for power. I'm going into the rear trunk with mine and its not that far to go.

billybovine
03-05-2014, 07:28 PM
Mine has the separate power cord built in, look close it has a 3.5mm audio and the micro USB for power. I'm going into the rear trunk with mine and its not that far to go.

I guess I did not explain that well. Your cord gets the power from the radio and is switched, on and off with the radio. I want mine unswitched so I can leave it on all the time. So I have ordered a USB power cord that converts the 12V to 5V that the SM10 needs and will hardwire that into an always on circuit somewhere.

3 Wheel Addict
03-05-2014, 07:40 PM
I guess I did not explain that well. Your cord gets the power from the radio and is switched, on and off with the radio. I want mine unswitched so I can leave it on all the time. So I have ordered a USB power cord that converts the 12V to 5V that the SM10 needs and will hardwire that into an always on circuit somewhere.

I was concerned about that and PM'ed Finless Bob about this very thing, if my power wires tie into the radio with that harness I made is it supplying 12v or 5v to the SENA? I know that the cigarette lighter adaptors have voltage reducers built into them to supply 5v but what about that radio output, is it 5 volts or am I going to fry the dongle by dumping in 12 volts??

billybovine
03-05-2014, 08:04 PM
I was concerned about that and PM'ed Finless Bob about this very thing, if my power wires tie into the radio with that harness I made is it supplying 12v or 5v to the SENA? I know that the cigarette lighter adaptors have voltage reducers built into them to supply 5v but what about that radio output, is it 5 volts or am I going to fry the dongle by dumping in 12 volts??

Good question I just assumed the radio was outputting 5V.

3 Wheel Addict
03-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Good question I just assumed the radio was outputting 5V.

Could be if the factory harness supplies power the exact same way. We'll see what Bob has to say. I went back and watched the original video he posted and there is no mention of anything reducing the voltage. But he does mention 12 volts in the video at 4:10 into it.

finless
03-05-2014, 10:08 PM
I will look it up but pretty sure it's 12V input.
The Sena SM10 comes with a cig lighter adapter so it may have a 12 to 5 regulator in it. So until I look it up use that to power it if you don't hook it to your radio. That is what the RT guys are doing I made cables for.

But still willing to bet it is 12v input.

Be back after I read the manual.

Bob

finless
03-05-2014, 10:38 PM
OK so it's not 5V but it's also not just straight 12V. Also I looked at my notes when I was probing the radio RD02 port and the power wires coming out of the radio are 12V.

The Sena documentation does not state anything about voltage. But it doesn't give any warning about using ONLY their 12V cig cord either... etc.

So I looked on the Sena support forums and found this interesting post.

http://support.senabluetooth.com/entries/23828498-12v-Power-adapter-capabilities-

Still no answer but he says his other charges work fine on the Sena but the Sena 12 cord wont charge his phones.
So this made me think there was something inside the 12V adapter. So I took it apart.

There are 4 diodes inside. They look like doubled up voltage blocking diodes. What I think they are for is to limit high voltage conditions and noise to the Sena. e.g. a motorcycle magneto the charge voltage to the battery can get pretty high like close to 15V and also can produce a lot of noise (whine in the audio). So I think they are for that.

I hooked a volt meter to the output and it is 1 volt less than the input. This is why it probably wont charge phones.

Now is it a must to use their cord only? Probably not unless your having noise in the audio but I leave that up to you.

If your wiring this to power on a ST and dont have a cig lighter? you could take this board out of the adapter (super easy 1 screw and a cap) and hook it's inputs to your 12V on the spyder and thus you have the board in place. That is if your worried about it. I would think if Sena wanted to have you use their cord specifically they would have said so!

Attached is a picture of the little board in the cig adapter.

Bob

3 Wheel Addict
03-05-2014, 11:32 PM
Ok now that makes me wonder what the factory dongle harness has in it? Does it have a power supply cord, is it power reduced?

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-06-2014, 12:11 AM
Ok now that makes me wonder what the factory dongle harness has in it? Does it have a power supply cord, is it power reduced?
The power output from the radio for the GPS harness is 12 volts. The BRP Garmin power input is 12 volts. I believe it would be safe to assume the power output for the BT dongle is also 12 volts. That is probably one big difference between the factory Sena dongle and the after market SM10. The factory one is probably made for 12 volt input, the after market is 5 volt.

I'd be willing to bet if you connect the after market Sena dongle to the radio output directly, you will fry it for sure. Use a USB adapter like the one I used for the GPS. I link to it in my non-BRP GPS topic.

USB adapter power outputs vary from less than 300 ma to over 2000 ma output. Many devices, like my Samsung tablet, will not charge on an adapter that outputs less than 1 amp. And I discovered a 1 amp USB adapter would not power my tablet plus an iPod. So make sure you get an adapter with adequate power capacity be it an accessory plug type or direct wire type.

finless
03-06-2014, 01:26 AM
Incorrect. The BRP SM10 is the same as the stock Sena SM10. If you have not seen my DIY cable check it out. The BRP dongle cable is nothing more than a connector with 5 wires. +12, gnd, audio left, audio right, and audio ground (common). No magic. And as I said the radio outputs 12v to the SM10.
BRP would not release this info forcing people that want BT to buy their kit. With the help of others I figured out how it hooks to the radio then made my own cable and saved over $100 by buying the SM10 off the shelf. So no worry about frying it as it works for me and 5 others I have made cables for.

See these posts for more info:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?47593-Adding-BRP-Bluetooth-Dongle-Questions-Answered

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?54867-Sena-quot-stock-quot-SM10-wiring-to-the-BRP-radio-Make-your-own-Dongle!

My bet is the 12v out from the radio is filtered from noise like the diodes Sena puts in their CIG lighter adapter. That's about it. No rocket science.

Bob

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-06-2014, 03:05 AM
Incorrect. The BRP SM10 is the same as the stock Sena SM10. If you have not seen my DIY cable check it out. The BRP dongle cable is nothing more than a connector with 5 wires. +12, gnd, audio left, audio right, and audio ground (common). No magic. And as I said the radio outputs 12v to the SM10.
BRP would not release this info forcing people that want BT to buy their kit. With the help of others I figured out how it hooks to the radio then made my own cable and saved over $100 by buying the SM10 off the shelf. So no worry about frying it as it works for me and 5 others I have made cables for.

See these posts for more info:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?47593-Adding-BRP-Bluetooth-Dongle-Questions-Answered

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?54867-Sena-quot-stock-quot-SM10-wiring-to-the-BRP-radio-Make-your-own-Dongle!

My bet is the 12v out from the radio is filtered from noise like the diodes Sena puts in their CIG lighter adapter. That's about it. No rocket science.

Bob
Thanks for setting me straight. I'm not familiar with the SM10 and took it from the discussion it can be charged with a USB cord, but I guess not. The guy who tried to charge his phone with the Sena cord is lucky then that he didn't fry his phone, right? So I'm wondering why USB got tangled up in the Sena SM10 discussion anyway, or am I doing a bad job of reading and interpreting? But that's right, in your video you do show and discuss wiring the Sena power cable directly to the radio power supply. I didn't think about that.

I guess some folks don't pay close enough attention to what the specified power requirement is for an electronic device. Just because a cord may fit doesn't mean it'll charge properly. I accidentally plugged a 9 volt adapter into my 12 volt handheld CB unit. No surprise, it wouldn't work.

AbNormy
03-06-2014, 04:30 AM
I got a good deal on the BRP dongle with harness but found like you said their lighter adaptor wouldn't charge my phone gave a message about volts being incorrect. The USB dialogue is because the dongle powers from micro or is it mini USB?
Since their harness plugs in the main harness by the radio didn't need the lighter adaptor. But I get considerable noise even before starting it up, mines mounted in the Frunk like the instructions suggest, so I think noise is from elects around the engine, but not certain. Anyone figured out how to reduce the noise on a BRP dongle?

Living the dream while I still can!

billybovine
03-06-2014, 09:06 AM
I am being to think that the SM10 will run on 5V or 12V. Modern devices are able to cope with different input voltages. For example the power cord I ordered converts 8V - 22V to 5V 3 amp. That way it should be good to charge anything if needed.

I have first hand experience with the Sena charger cord not charging a phone with my headset charger. The charger does not meet the standard for dumb charging devices that requires the data lines to be shorted out. Now I am thinking this is on purpose because of the voltage. If the phone does not see an intelligent device on the other end of the data lines or the data lines are not shorted out the phone will refuse to charge.

finless
03-06-2014, 09:33 AM
iPhones require an intelligent charger. I do not think Android phones do but I could be wrong. My Android tablets can use straight 12V non-smart charger.

But that is the point. They are using a micro USB connector yet 12V is coming out of it so you have to be careful trying to use it on something else. USB spec is 5V!

Yes many recent devices can handle both. My helmet cam for instance will run (record and work) off 12V but not charge. It requires 5V to charge which seems reversed to me but that's what the manual also says.

The diodes in the 12V Sena plug are for noise but in the process they drop the voltage 1V to 11V instead of 12V (Actually 11.7 from 12.7). I am not getting any noise in my SM10 but it is hooked to the radio and in the trunk not the frunk. However I have tried it power by the trunk cig lighter using the Sena supplied cord and got no noise.
Many have complained of disconnect issues and noise issues when mounted in the frunk. I would move it to the trunk myself.

Bob

3 Wheel Addict
03-06-2014, 11:02 AM
iPhones require an intelligent charger. I do not think Android phones do but I could be wrong. My Android tablets can use straight 12V non-smart charger.

But that is the point. They are using a micro USB connector yet 12V is coming out of it so you have to be careful trying to use it on something else. USB spec is 5V!

Yes many recent devices can handle both. My helmet cam for instance will run (record and work) off 12V but not charge. It requires 5V to charge which seems reversed to me but that's what the manual also says.

The diodes in the 12V Sena plug are for noise but in the process they drop the voltage 1V to 11V instead of 12V (Actually 11.7 from 12.7). I am not getting any noise in my SM10 but it is hooked to the radio and in the trunk not the frunk. However I have tried it power by the trunk cig lighter using the Sena supplied cord and got no noise.
Many have complained of disconnect issues and noise issues when mounted in the frunk. I would move it to the trunk myself.

Bob

I took my cigarette charger apart and found the same thing as you inside of it. It would not take much to install that little circuit board with the "filters" on it inline on the pos (+) wire to be safe and keep out unwanted electrical noise. The only down side is you will loose a charger but you should still have one with your headset anyway. I would like to know if the BRP harness has some type of circuitry built into their harness somehow? I might give this a shot....

billybovine
03-06-2014, 11:13 AM
I took my cigarette charger apart and found the same thing as you inside of it. It would not take much to install that little circuit board with the "filters" on it inline on the pos (+) wire to be safe and keep out unwanted electrical noise. The only down side is you will loose a charger but you should still have one with your headset anyway. I would like to know if the BRP harness has some type of circuitry built into their harness somehow? I might give this a shot....

I was doing a search on the Sena Site and I found a reference to charging voltage for the Sena SMH10 headset. I think the same would apply because they use the same chargers. In summary input voltage is 5V to 14V.

http://support.senabluetooth.com/entries/20454271-How-to-charge-SMH10-

finless
03-06-2014, 11:57 AM

There is nothing in the BRP BT harness but wires. Again this was heavily discussed with pictures supplied in this thread:

So no worries about that. Again my bet is there are noise filters in the radio that do pretty much the same thing that is in the Sena 12 cig plug! Thus no noise when hooked to the radio for power.

So if you have an RT and want power from your trunk cig plug instead of from the radio to the Sena, use the Sena 12V plug there. Otherwise wire power from the radio as my DIY cable shows. You will be all good then! 3 wheel addict, your cable has power from the radio so your done buddy... Hook it up and enjoy! This is 100% like the BRP cable!

For people with a RS or ST, you probably should take the board out of the Sena plug and use it to wire to 12V. That is if you have a noise issue. If you don't have a noise issue then your done.

Finally as I said. Keep the harness away from the engine and cluster! Even the BRP harness does not appear to be shielded so runing it forward "may" give you engine noise. A lot of people have complained of noise even when the BRP cable is run to the Frunk.

Bob

finless
03-06-2014, 12:04 PM
FYI, if you are getting engine noise no matter where you have the unit mounted and cable run, remember bad spark plug wires can easily be the cause! As we have all seen reported the stock spark plug wires "can" have issues.

Bob

lyonsden
03-06-2014, 12:15 PM
I got a good deal on the BRP dongle with harness but found like you said their lighter adaptor wouldn't charge my phone gave a message about volts being incorrect. The USB dialogue is because the dongle powers from micro or is it mini USB?
Since their harness plugs in the main harness by the radio didn't need the lighter adaptor. But I get considerable noise even before starting it up, mines mounted in the Frunk like the instructions suggest, so I think noise is from elects around the engine, but not certain. Anyone figured out how to reduce the noise on a BRP dongle?

Living the dream while I still can!I have the factory BRP Dongle setup and it is installed in the trunk, not the frunk and I have never had any electrical noise. Don't know if it makes a difference where I installed it. Didn't make since to put it in the frunk. The rest of my electronics were in the trunk.

DR Buck
03-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Looks good.

Be careful with this option. Forget to turn it off and you will end up with a dead battery. I install a USB power outlet and hooked to always on 12volt and it will take my battery down in about 2 to 3 days to where the bike won't start. I'm adding a relay circuit that shuts it down when the Spyder is turned off.

billybovine
03-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Be careful with this option. Forget to turn it off and you will end up with a dead battery. I install a USB power outlet and hooked to always on 12volt and it will take my battery down in about 2 to 3 days to where the bike won't start. I'm adding a relay circuit that shuts it down when the Spyder is turned off.

There is something wrong with yours. My intent is to never to turn the unit off. My helmet headset is plugged into my always on usb outlet when it is at home and the battery will last 3 weeks before it is touch and go to start. So with two devices drawing power I would expect the battery to last at least a week.

jcthorne
03-06-2014, 12:59 PM

Yes. Toss the BRP harness in the trash. Power the dongle from the always on 12v accessory port using the power cable SENA provides. Tie the sound input to the rear speaker leads using a passive type power reduction adaptor. The dongle links with the head set every time it is turned on and the sound is great, the noise is gone. The BRP harness and radio output combo is junk. Just a very poor implementation.

finless
03-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Yes. Toss the BRP harness in the trash. Power the dongle from the always on 12v accessory port using the power cable SENA provides. Tie the sound input to the rear speaker leads using a passive type power reduction adaptor. The dongle links with the head set every time it is turned on and the sound is great, the noise is gone. The BRP harness and radio output combo is junk. Just a very poor implementation.

Well not sure I fully agree with it being junk. I just agree mounting it in the Frunk is the problem. I am having no issues with mine mounted in the trunk.

The problem with hooking it to the speakers is the speakers have to be on and BT has a delay so you wind up hearing an echo / delay.

Bob

3 Wheel Addict
03-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Passing that wiring from the radio to the front trunk (frunk) is causing the problems, routing wires past the engine with spark ignition and a whole bunch of other electrical goodies. BRP mounts the dongle right next to the fuse block and right behind that is a big electric motor for the DPS.

jcthorne
03-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Well not sure I fully agree with it being junk. I just agree mounting it in the Frunk is the problem. I am having no issues with mine mounted in the trunk.

The problem with hooking it to the speakers is the speakers have to be on and BT has a delay so you wind up hearing an echo / delay.

Bob

Use the fader to control speakers vs Bluetooth. No echo.

I tried moving the dongle to the trunk (where it still is) and while the noise was less, it was still very much there. Tried swapping radios from my wife's spyder and same problem. Its something in the way the radio or BRP harness is implemented that picks up the noise on the very low level signal going to the dongle. Finally gave up on the BRP harness and returned it and bought a straight SM-10 module connected as stated above and it works perfectly. This problem has come up here on SL several times so its not just something wrong with my bike. Its a design issue. There may be a better way to solve it, have not found it.

AbNormy
03-07-2014, 03:35 AM
Thanks for sharing. Good to know what to expect!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk