PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Static in Helmet Headset

SpongeBob
03-03-2014, 02:49 PM
During the first few rides I noticed ignition static in my helmet headset. My wife did not hear it in hers. It occurred at idle and I did not notice it once underway. And, it was only on the FM radio and not the CB.

So, after pulling off all of the tupperwear, I checked the integrity of the connections on the communications harness and made certain that none of the wires were crimped or wire-tied too severely.

That done, it was time to suppress the static.

For that, good grounding is the place to begin. I ran a ground braid from the AM/FM radio to the CB radio which had previously been grounded to the chassis.

(see my earlier post CB Radio Additional Grounding)

Next, I used several of these snap-on ferrite chokes and strategically placed them along the communications harness.

Radio Shack, eBay, and certain electronic suppliers have these and they come in various shapes and flavors. Google snap-on ferrite chokes.

These were placed at: (1) the CB/AM-FM radio junction under the RH grab bar; (2) the passenger headset junction under the LH grab bar, and (3) just prior to the rider's audio cable going under the glove box.

Shazam ... that took care of the ignition static !:yes:

stevedfive
03-28-2014, 04:04 PM
Thanks Bob, I used your idea on my bike.