PDA

View Full Version : Big increase in MPG

trikester
08-14-2008, 11:02 PM
I finally got around to measuring the mileage I got on my ride with Lamonster in the Julian CA area. 39 MPG! :clap: A lot of the riding that day was twisty mountain roads, not exactly conducive to good mileage.

What makes this so amazing is that I only have about 700 miles on the Spyder. On my first tankfull I measured 26 MPG. Others have reported increasing gas mileage as the miles have accumulated. I wonder if it may be more than just break in of the engine. Maybe the engine control computer starts them out rich and goes leaner as the total break in mileage adds up.

Just a thought.

Ray R
08-14-2008, 11:05 PM
That is amazing. Are you sure the two fillups you used for measuring were to the same level? Best I'm getting these days is still less than 30.

AMTJIM
08-14-2008, 11:32 PM
I took a ride on our local curvy mountain road and bumped up the average to 37 mpg...it's just not going to happen over 50~55 mph.

Magic Man
08-15-2008, 06:54 AM
I too just noticed a big increase in MPG when in Sturgis. We took a ride through all the mountain roads on Sunday, 40-45 mph and when I checked the mpg it at the fill up point it was 41mpg!

I have not filled it back up since that point as we took the highway back at about 80 mph, but I will fill it up and see what it was at those speeds?

I think this may be a bike that gets worse mpg on the highway rather than around town?

MM

SpyderMark
08-15-2008, 07:37 AM
I finally got around to measuring the mileage I got on my ride with Lamonster in the Julian CA area. 39 MPG! :clap: A lot of the riding that day was twisty mountain roads, not exactly conducive to good mileage.

My theory is you had two phenomena contributing to increased fuel mileage in this situation: 1) lower speed = less drag effect on mileage, 2) higher elevation = leaner mixture.

Regards,

Mark

MWKE
08-15-2008, 08:15 AM
Does your Weight, Air Temp affect MPG????? Im 6'1 260LBS and usually have about 10 LBS in the Trunk....I travel at an average of 65 MPH....Average temp in the morning is 60 Degrees,,,,average temp on my way home is 100 Degrees.stock pipe I was getting anywhere from 35-39 MPG....With the New Two Brotha's,,,,Im getting about 30 MPG....However,,,,Ive been hot roddin this whole week because of the new addition:2thumbs: Oh,,,,and Ive been running 87 Octane

Any Thoughts on the MAJOR Factors in the MPG Department????

smokster
08-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Does your Weight, Air Temp affect MPG????? Im 6'1 260LBS and usually have about 10 LBS in the Trunk....I travel at an average of 65 MPH....Average temp in the morning is 60 Degrees,,,,average temp on my way home is 100 Degrees.stock pipe I was getting anywhere from 35-39 MPG....With the New Two Brotha's,,,,Im getting about 30 MPG....However,,,,Ive been hot roddin this whole week because of the new addition:2thumbs: Oh,,,,and Ive been running 87 Octane

"Junk in the Trunk" will effect MPG

SpyderMark
08-15-2008, 11:13 AM

Because the Spyder has such a large frontal area, with so many parts and bits sticking out in the wind, I'll suggest the single biggest factor affecting fuel mileage (all other things being equal) is speed. The faster you go, the more drag will affect fuel mileage.

As far as drag from the wind, the Spyder is much more like a car than a motorcycle. Consumer Reports recently tested several late model automobiles to see how much affect speed had on mileage. In most cases, mileage increased on the order of 20% when drivers slowed from ~70 mph to ~60 mph.

Regards,

Mark

IdleUp
08-15-2008, 01:11 PM

What makes this so amazing is that I only have about 700 miles on the Spyder. On my first tankfull I measured 26 MPG. Others have reported increasing gas mileage as the miles have accumulated. I wonder if it may be more than just break in of the engine. Maybe the engine control computer starts them out rich and goes leaner as the total break in mileage adds up.

Just a thought.

If you average the 39 & 26 - you'll get the true mileage everyone else is getting 32.5 mpg!

trikester
08-15-2008, 04:08 PM
That is amazing. Are you sure the two fillups you used for measuring were to the same level? Best I'm getting these days is still less than 30.

Yes, Both times I filled it until it was up to the fill tube, about 1" below the top.

trikester
08-15-2008, 04:17 PM
I too just noticed a big increase in MPG when in Sturgis. We took a ride through all the mountain roads on Sunday, 40-45 mph and when I checked the mpg it at the fill up point it was 41mpg!

I have not filled it back up since that point as we took the highway back at about 80 mph, but I will fill it up and see what it was at those speeds?

I think this may be a bike that gets worse mpg on the highway rather than around town?

MM

On my return from Julian to my desert cabin I had to be sure I made it on the gas I had, because in that 44 miles there are no stations. The gas station that used to be in Julian had gone out of business, so I couldn't top off there. lamonster looked at my gauge and said I'd make it easily - he was right.

I wasn't too worried because there is a net altitude drop going back to the cabin. However, just to make sure, I also held the speed to around 50 mph on the ride back. But, working against me was a strong wind that was toward me a lot of the way, so I don't know what my average wind speed was on that final 44 mile leg.

DaddySniper
03-19-2013, 08:43 PM
I had mt tires filled with nitrogen today. It was explained to me that it does not expand like regular air does with temp changes. With this being true, it will make your gas mileage more consistant. Anyone tried this before or seen improvements with gas milage?

NancysToy
03-19-2013, 08:50 PM
I had mt tires filled with nitrogen today. It was explained to me that it does not expand like regular air does with temp changes. With this being true, it will make your gas mileage more consistant. Anyone tried this before or seen improvements with gas milage?
The air is already 78% nitrogen. The differences they are hyping are negligible...you will not notice the differnce if there is one. I wouldn't do it if it were mine. Just another way to get into your pocket. JMHO

Spyder601
03-19-2013, 08:59 PM
I average 29.5 and am totally ok with it. Fun always cost lol :yes: Ryde on my friends

my3gs
03-19-2013, 09:00 PM
:agree::agree::agree:Wish i got better then 26

thehawk
03-19-2013, 09:20 PM
i'm gonna fill up in the morning but with 13,603 on the clock, i've got a 27.1 mpg lifetime average. totally stock, except for led turn signal lamps on the mirrors. i don't think they do much one way or the other:roflblack:. i run 87 octane about half the time and 93 the other half.

i'm satisfied with that.

thehawk

Chupaca
03-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Just a thought but when you ryde the twisting roads in the Julian (thats our turf) area you run at a much higher rpm. These engines prefer to run a higher rpm's than most twins vertical or otherwise. We get better mileage going up and back than ryding the coastal runs..maybe just me..:ohyea:

NancysToy
03-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Yes, Both times I filled it until it was up to the fill tube, about 1" below the top.

I'd like to caution you against doing this. If you fill right up to the baffle (fill ring), you are very likely to force fuel out of the vent and into the emissions canister...where it will cause fuel odors, and will not be burned (reducing your fuel mileage). When filling a Spyder insert the nozzle as little as possible through the baffle, then fill slowly just until gas just begins to spurt out the vent slots in the baffle. You can click it again to be sure, but be certain to stop by the second time gas spurts through the vents. You will find the level to be about 1/2" or so below the baffle opening, allowing sufficient head space for venting and expansion. You will also get more repeatable filling, so your mileage calculations won't likely be all over the map.

scooterexpress
03-20-2013, 08:02 AM
someone quoted that ev1 is avg 32.5mpg..not true i've got 12k on my rts and i only get 26.and i only use 92-93oct.running at 60-70. but i did do a weeks worth of 45mph or less and got the same milage.go figure.

Bob Denman
03-20-2013, 08:29 AM
My theory is you had two phenomena contributing to increased fuel mileage in this situation: 1) lower speed = less drag effect on mileage, 2) higher elevation = leaner mixture.

:agree: :thumbup:

ARtraveler
03-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh another mileage thread.

Your 37 sounds high, but you are doing the filling and calculating.

My very best has been 34 and that included lots of hills and curves--riding up to third gear at 40 mph or less. Higher speeds and gears most of the time, eat into that magic number.

Take heed about overfilling--you can get spill into your evap cannister. Best is to fill below the ring. If you are calculating mileage on a continuous basis--just stop at the same fill level each time and it will average out from tank to tank.