PDA

View Full Version : SPYDERS IN VIRGINIA!!! And We Loved It!!

ValCruzSpyder
03-02-2014, 08:20 PM
Taking advantage of the remarkable weather here in Virginia Beach, my wife and I set out today to put a few miles on our RT. We ventured out from Virginia Beach and headed to the Virginia Diner in Windsor for a shot at their wonderful Lunch Buffet. Along the way, we passed a Black RT heading in the opposite direction. Yes, both my wife and I gave the "OMG, it's another Spyder" wave. Leaving the Diner, we headed over to Surry County to catch the ferry to Jamestown. Once our Ferry completed its transit, guess what we saw...another RT, waiting to get on the Ferry to go in the opposite direction!! But wait. It gets even better. Instead of taking the scenic route back to Virginia Beach, we decided to do a little "slab surfing" and ventured onto Interstate 64. The RT handled like a dream. Cruising along at 75 MPH, we happened upon a RS...(you guessed it)...heading in the opposite direction. Needing to make another pit stop for fuel, we jumped of the Interstate. Fully fueled and ready to go, we headed back to the Interstate. BAM!!!! A white RT right in front of us...heading the other way. Upon reaching our exit, we were greeted with our final Spyder sighting. A Black RS with a Spider wrap on the rear fender. This is the largest Spyder-sightings we have ever encountered while touring the by-ways in Virginia. This has been a remarkable two or three days for my wife and me. First, we were honored to join Mr. and Mrs. "Hayfield" for dinner on Friday. GREAT PEOPLE!!! Dan, i'm sure that we will get the opportunity for a "mulligan". A do over, of sorts. And then, the ride today....what can I say....first, we were fortunate to have the wonderful weather, and then, spotting all my fellow Spyder fanatics!!!!! All of this is fine and dandy...but I have one small concern....I DID notice that all the Spyders we saw today...were heading in the opposite direction. Do they know something I don't know??? Be that as it may, If you are reading this, and, by chance, you happened to have seen a Pure Mag RT with a "few LEDs" on the front, give me shout. I am paper-trained and I get along well with others:roflblack:. Let's go Spydering!!!!!
Enjoyed sharing our riding experience with all of you!!!!!
John and Velma

DR Buck
03-02-2014, 08:35 PM
It was 62º her in Northern VA today. Unfortunately my RT is in the shop. :sour:

ValCruzSpyder
03-02-2014, 08:57 PM

:banghead: :yikes: :shocked:

70 Degrees for Virginia Beach....But that is going to change tomorrow....Something around 25 Degrees with sleet and a little snow. I am over Winter!!!!

SNOOPY
03-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Sounds like you've seen more in one day than I've seen in 6 months. Lol

I did see an RSS in Va Beach today, of course it was after I put the Spyder up and was in my car. :banghead:

SpyderAnn01
03-02-2014, 09:03 PM
I am glad to see the words "remarkable and weather" used to indicate something good! Sounds like you had a nice ride

spyder-dude
03-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Was 63 here in Staunton VA but I had my spyder all tore apart doing some upgrades. Just finished and now we are supposed to get 8-12" of snow tonight :(

Leave for Daytona Beach Bike week Friday and can't wait!

Dan McNally
03-03-2014, 12:14 AM
We saw one, a blue RT, on Rt 17, shortly after we got off I-95, this afternoon, on the ride home from Virginia Beach . . . always great to see Spyders . . . but better to be ON one! nojoke Anna and I had a great time at dinner with you and Velma, John . . . and at lunch, the previous day, with SpyRyd! We'll be back!

bandwagon
03-03-2014, 04:17 AM

It's keeping mine company while all the goodies are being put on it. Thanks for the information about the passenger armrest. If you are at the meeting on the 22nd, we can talk about how you are going to add a metal bracket for support. I will be ordering one soon. Virginia Spyders Riders check out the club section (SRAOD) for information on our meet in Richmond. All are invited so spread the word. Man, I missed out on riding yesterday as I was planning out two trips. The Owners Event and Spyder Rally in Myrtle Beach. I also can not wait to get my hands on my 2014 RT. Well, the government
is closed today so I guess I will go back to bed. See you all soon.

Dan McNally
03-03-2014, 10:14 AM
ValCruzSpyder - this is the March 22nd meeting I mentioned in the PM last night . . . SpyRyd is going, and so am I . . . http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/group.php?discussionid=954&do=discuss you might want to join this group: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/group.php?groupid=87

Shana
03-03-2014, 10:19 AM
ValCruzSpyder - this is the March 22nd meeting I mentioned in the PM last night . . . SpyRyd is going, and so am I . . . http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/group.php?discussionid=954&do=discuss you might want to join this group: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/group.php?groupid=87

I haven't been able to ride since my Spyder is also in the shop. I plan on being at the 22 March event.

2 Stricklands
03-03-2014, 10:44 AM
We plan to come over from the Roanoke area.

SNOOPY
03-03-2014, 12:27 PM
For being in such a large seven city area here, it seems we'll never have any organized local events. Everything is 2-4 hours away just to meet. :shocked:

SpyRyd
03-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Also had a great ryde yesterday...211 miles. Took 10 out of Smithfield up almost to Hopewell; then 106/609/606, etc. (good twisty ryde) all the way to 301. Was gonna take 301 up almost to Bowling Green, then 721 to St Stephens Church, then 14 into West Point and then down to Gloucester and 17 on home...but ran into light rain and decided to take 30 to West Point to 64 and home. Saw a Spyder on the Hampton Roads Parkway...going in the opposite direction.

Highly recommend Route 14 West out of West Point up to St Stephens Church...really nice twisty ryde. Also the 106/609/606 etc route from just South of Hopewell up to where it meets 301 South of Hanover is a nice ryde...would be really pretty in the fall.

Gonna make the big run described above on the next nice day...hopefully soon.

YIRYDE
03-03-2014, 12:37 PM
For being in such a large seven city area here, it seems we'll never have any organized local events. Everything is 2-4 hours away just to meet. :shocked:

You probably didn't have your Spyder or just purchased it but there was a meet and greet in Yorktown last year. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?56109-SRAOD-Meet-Greet-and-Ride

SNOOPY
03-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I got it end of August, but had no license til first of October thanks to DMVs stupid rules. Lol

daveinva
03-03-2014, 12:43 PM
I ride to work every so often, but it's been too dang cold to fill up my tires and check the oil. So I definitely took advantage of the mid-50s weather we had up near D.C. yesterday to take care of both (and enjoy a rare warm-ish spin while I was at it :yes:).

Sadly, I'm shoveling snow today. Crazy, crazy weather this year...

Dan McNally
03-03-2014, 05:27 PM

A meet that is two hours from home means four extra hours of ryding :clap:. . . that is a good thing! nojoke

SNOOPY
03-03-2014, 05:59 PM
Thats a long way on the interstate w these crazies.

Bob Denman
03-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Was 63 here in Staunton VA but I had my spyder all tore apart doing some upgrades. Just finished and now we are supposed to get 8-12" of snow tonight :(

Did that storm land on you guys?? :shocked:

For once; it missed us! :yes:

spyder-dude
03-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Yeah we got about an inch of ice and 4 inches of snow. It is going to be a mess here for a while. Just hope that the roads are clear enough to leave Friday morning for Daytona Bike Week.

It is 18 degrees and the high in the 30's all week. Good thing for my new heated jacket lines and gloves that I just bought.

Bob Denman
03-03-2014, 06:19 PM
4" of snow ain't too bad; it's the ice, that's the deal-breaker! :shocked:
Hang in there! The Sun is getting higher in the sky every day now! :thumbup:

bruiser
03-03-2014, 06:48 PM
I like 17 from I95 to 81. I take that when we go see my sister in Hanover, Pa. Really nice ride. Have taken 2/301 out of Chamberlayne north to Delaware. Have also been to Danville and South Boston several times. My grandmother had a farm on the James River in Williamsburg many years ago. I want to make a run to Richmond and try out Station 2 in Shockoe. I also hear O'Toole's is a good place too.

Dan McNally
03-03-2014, 08:00 PM
I like 17 from I95 to 81. I take that when we go see my sister in Hanover, Pa. Really nice ride. Have taken 2/301 out of Chamberlayne north to Delaware. Have also been to Danville and South Boston several times. My grandmother had a farm on the James River in Williamsburg many years ago. I want to make a run to Richmond and try out Station 2 in Shockoe. I also hear O'Toole's is a good place too.

There is a particularly pretty stretch of Rt 17, from I-66, Exit 23 that runs north, about eight miles to where Rt 17 meets Rt 50. Really pretty ride going through that valley, and at the north end of it, where it hits Rt 50, there is a really nice restaurant, just off the main road in the very tiny town of Paris, VA, the Ashby Inn. http://www.ashbyinn.com/about/about-us.htm Coming south, as you top the hill on Rt 50, before making the right turn to take Rt 17 back toward I-66, the view is really spectacular. During the peach and apple season, there is an orchard that does "pick your own" but also sells fresh fruit on Snowden Road off of Rt 17 in that valley . . . the view from their farm is spectacular. http://www.hollinfarms.com/

bandwagon
03-03-2014, 08:14 PM

We would love to do VB and ride across the Bridge and out to C, Island. You should check out the Grand Tour Of Virginia. Please come to the meet and let's set something up. You would be one of the duty experts for the VB, Hampton, and surrounding areas.

SpyRyd
03-04-2014, 06:53 AM

You can probably get there with minimum interstate ryding...might take longer but that's a good thing when ryding your Spyder.

SNOOPY
03-04-2014, 07:38 AM
I'm just not into it as much as you all are. :dontknow:

bruiser
03-04-2014, 11:51 AM
There is a particularly pretty stretch of Rt 17, from I-66, Exit 23 that runs north, about eight miles to where Rt 17 meets Rt 50. Really pretty ride going through that valley, and at the north end of it, where it hits Rt 50, there is a really nice restaurant, just off the main road in the very tiny town of Paris, VA, the Ashby Inn. http://www.ashbyinn.com/about/about-us.htm Coming south, as you top the hill on Rt 50, before making the right turn to take Rt 17 back toward I-66, the view is really spectacular. During the peach and apple season, there is an orchard that does "pick your own" but also sells fresh fruit on Snowden Road off of Rt 17 in that valley . . . the view from their farm is spectacular. http://www.hollinfarms.com/

Yes, the views are wonderful. We'll look for the Inn the next time we go that way. If you want a really good run, take Maryland 77 through Cunningham Falls State Park to Rt. 15 at Thurmont. Great views and some real twisties. Been to Harpers Ferry too. Not on the Spyder though. I love that whole area up there. If you get over on 15 at Thurmont look up Catoctin Mountain Orchards. They have the best peach preserves, apple butter and homemade pies. We stop there whenever we're up that way and pick up a few jars of each. And, Mountain Gate Family Restaurant. Really good buffet.

Cruzr Joe
03-04-2014, 11:57 AM

Snoopy are you a wuss?? two hours one way is just the start of a good day without a leash.

Cruzr Joe

Dan McNally
03-04-2014, 04:39 PM
Yes, the views are wonderful. We'll look for the Inn the next time we go that way. If you want a really good run, take Maryland 77 through Cunningham Falls State Park to Rt. 15 at Thurmont. Great views and some real twisties. Been to Harpers Ferry too. Not on the Spyder though. I love that whole area up there. If you get over on 15 at Thurmont look up Catoctin Mountain Orchards. They have the best peach preserves, apple butter and homemade pies. We stop there whenever we're up that way and pick up a few jars of each. And, Mountain Gate Family Restaurant. Really good buffet.
Going to Hanover, you can take a right onto 340, north, before you get to I-81, and follow it up through Charles Town and past Harpers Ferry. The stay on it until it meets 194, going out of Frederick MD, and on to Hanover . . . another pretty ride and you miss I-81 and all those semi-trailers! Next time you are heading to Hanover, let me know . . . I might ride south and meet you along the route . . . you pass less than 10 miles from me, if you go I-81 or Rt 340.

SNOOPY
03-04-2014, 05:09 PM
Snoopy are you a wuss?? two hours one way is just the start of a good day without a leash.

Cruzr Joe

Yes, apparently.

SNOOPY
03-04-2014, 05:13 PM
Edit, guess I'm on ignore anyhow...

ValCruzSpyder
03-04-2014, 06:22 PM

:yes: Just waiting for my wife to get home to talk to her about making the Meet and Greet!!! Thanks for the info!!:yes:

PS: What time is the Meet and Greet?

Dan McNally
03-04-2014, 06:28 PM
:yes: Just waiting for my wife to get home to talk to her about making the Meet and Greet!!! Thanks for the info!!:yes:

PS: What time is the Meet and Greet?10 AM . . . at McLeans Restaurant 3205 W. Broad St. Richmond, Va. 23230.

SpyRyd
03-04-2014, 06:29 PM

PS: What time is the Meet and Greet?

10AM...brunch.

ValCruzSpyder
03-04-2014, 06:33 PM
10:00 Brunch it is!!!! Mapping out our route as we speak! Thanks!!!

Dan McNally
03-04-2014, 06:44 PM
10:00 Brunch it is!!!! Mapping out our route as we speak! Thanks!!!

Great . . . looking forward to seeing the two of you again!

Bob Denman
03-04-2014, 06:52 PM
The Missus and I are gonna have to take a spin down 81, and meet up with you guys... once we get some Summer under us! :thumbup:
It's only an eight-hour or so hop for us! :D

ARtraveler
03-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Great to hear of the travel adventures and :spyder2: sightings. The sightings are few and far between here in Alaska.