PDA

View Full Version : New Air Filter

jthornton
03-02-2014, 04:37 PM
I finally found enough of my garage floor(I put away and cleaned for 4 hours this morning) to work on my Spyder today. Task #1 remove the air box... done. Task #2 get the length of the breather hose needed... done. This is the prototype in the photo. Doc Riverside's friend Don has his Spyder all apart for chroming and could not wait for the production air filters so he is getting the prototype. Doc Riverside had a lot of input into the design of the filter to make it very easy to change and other ideas he had to make it the best one you can get. I'm so excited and can't wait to get them in stock. I guess I have to park my Spyder until I get them in stock... cause I'm not putting the air box back in. I could not believe how hard it was to get the factory filter out... what were they thinking?

JT

jwulf74
03-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Did you take out the resonator too? Or just the air box? I have my wife's apart as I took the handle bars ad windshield bracket off to get black powder coated. The air box looks easy compared to the resonator...

oldgoat
03-02-2014, 05:41 PM
Do I take it that this is not the KewlMetal one, but one designed by Doc Riverside?

3 Wheel Addict
03-02-2014, 06:01 PM
I'm pretty sure he is making this one himself and Doc had a hand in the design of it. There are quite a few people on his list to get one of these units when they are available and if I got my request in fast enough I should be close to the top of that list. Waiting for them to become available.................

jthornton
03-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Did you take out the resonator too? Or just the air box? I have my wife's apart as I took the handle bars ad windshield bracket off to get black powder coated. The air box looks easy compared to the resonator...

Yes, I removed the resonator and it is easier than the air box. Cut the tie wrap that holds the air filter hose on the resonator. Take the bolts out of the left brace that goes front to back, take apart the three big wire plugs, remove the one bolt that holds it in place. Push the bar down a bit and pull the resonator out.

JT

jthornton
03-02-2014, 06:23 PM
Do I take it that this is not the KewlMetal one, but one designed by Doc Riverside?

It is JT's design with lots of input from Doc Riverside. Funny all this was hatched in Lamont's front yard at the BBQ... neither me or Doc felt good that day but made a connection and sparked some ideas and a friendship.

JT

jthornton
03-02-2014, 06:26 PM
I'm pretty sure he is making this one himself and Doc had a hand in the design of it. There are quite a few people on his list to get one of these units when they are available and if I got my request in fast enough I should be close to the top of that list. Waiting for them to become available.................

Yep, you got it correct.

I don't see your handle on the list but I added it... if you get a chance PM me your email and I'll send you an email as soon as I get my hands on the first batch. They are being produced in my friends machine shop (he has a much bigger shop than mine) as we speak and as soon as he gets the first batch done there off to get anodized.

JT

cyclelover63
03-02-2014, 09:33 PM
I have heard the Kewlmetal air cleaners caused a louder engine noise...How is this one going to be in that regard?

jthornton
03-03-2014, 06:23 AM
I have heard the Kewlmetal air cleaners caused a louder engine noise...How is this one going to be in that regard?

I've not had the opportunity to compare them side by side so I can't comment on that. I can say that removing the air box and resonator greatly improves the heat issue on the seat and glove box area due to greater air flow around the engine.

JT

Doc - Riverside
03-03-2014, 07:12 AM

During normal throttle there is a mellow sound. When you jump on the throttle you get a deep throaty sound until you get up to a steady speed then the sound returns to normal.

The biggest improvement you will see is you are no longer sitting on a Barbeque Grill.

SNOOPY
03-03-2014, 07:38 AM
What is the effect on the engine not having the resonator in place?

And what are your thoughts on not pulling in cool air but rather warm/hot air in the intake?

Dont get me wrong, I'm interested in one too. :thumbup:

jthornton
03-03-2014, 08:15 AM
What is the effect on the engine not having the resonator in place?

And what are your thoughts on not pulling in cool air but rather warm/hot air in the intake?

Dont get me wrong, I'm interested in one too. :thumbup:

My SWAG is the air box was very hot so the air going through there was heated too, how much I don't know. I feel with the open air flow after removing the air box and resonator the air temperature could be lower than the air going through the air box. This is all just my SWAG.

JT

SNOOPY
03-03-2014, 12:32 PM
I wonder if when all the extra plastic and tubing is removed, if an simple cool air intake tube can be fashioned to "help" direct fresh air toward the new filter.

Would be a nice addition to a new production air filter, just saying. Lol

Pandy
03-03-2014, 12:48 PM
How many miles on that Pyder? I'm not sure mine was that clean out of the crate!
Patrick

Jeriatric
03-03-2014, 12:54 PM
I wonder if when all the extra plastic and tubing is removed, if an simple cool air intake tube can be fashioned to "help" direct fresh air toward the new filter.

I wonder if the air going into the engine will in fact be cooler than what the temp sensor is telling the ECM it is without a intake tube? Cooler air at the intake than what the ECM is being signaled exsists. May or may not be a big thing :dontknow:

All that aside. If it aids in a cooler ride for the operator and does no harm to the spyder(which I'm convinced it will not). It's a win win to me. :thumbup:

SNOOPY
03-03-2014, 01:10 PM
My concern is pulling in hotter air will give worse engine performance, I know on a car cool air is king in an intake.

cuznjohn
03-03-2014, 01:17 PM
i really don't know what the air box looks like but if you could cut the air pipe feeding the air box and leave it in place, and than remove the rest of the box would that feed air to the new filter.

jthornton
03-03-2014, 03:10 PM
How many miles on that Pyder? I'm not sure mine was that clean out of the crate!
Patrick

Can't be asking about my Spyder I live on a dirt road so you can image the shape it's in...

JT

jthornton
03-03-2014, 03:12 PM

That might be possible, I'll have to look into it. I know WackyDan wants to do that too.

JT

SNOOPY
03-03-2014, 04:33 PM
i really don't know what the air box looks like but if you could cut the air pipe feeding the air box and leave it in place, and than remove the rest of the box would that feed air to the new filter.

I was thinking that 2, but like you, I have no idea what any of this looks like inside. lol

Jeriatric
03-03-2014, 04:45 PM
My concern is pulling in hotter air will give worse engine performance, I know on a car cool air is king in an intake.

Agree. Just not sure whether the air (with all that plastic removed) will be any warmer/cooler than what the temp sensor to the ECM is reading. That said, more air can't hurt as long as it enters and vents/escapes DOWN as opposed to out the seat cracks.

SNOOPY
03-03-2014, 06:05 PM
One thing I guess to keep in mind is how often the engine compartment air is "turned" over, not like the air will just be sitting there long enough to get really hot like it may be now?

Do we know what CFM the throttle bodies are on a Spyder, that figured in may help...not that we know how much it's pulling at idle or low speeds though?

jthornton
03-03-2014, 06:16 PM
I was thinking that 2, but like you, I have no idea what any of this looks like inside. lol

This is the air box, filter, and resonator that I took out of my RT.

JT

SNOOPY
03-03-2014, 07:35 PM

JT

Is that the same on an ST?

That looks like 20 lbs of plastic!!! :gaah:

ABQSpyder
03-03-2014, 08:22 PM

Haven't some guys installed fans to help pull air when stopped are moving slow in traffic as they tend to overheat if sitting to long. Gets mighty warm here in the desert.

jwulf74
03-03-2014, 08:28 PM
Yep. after all that plastic mess is out, a few have done, and I am planning on taking the "hose" portion and mating that to a 3" Attwood bilge blower to draw in cooler air from around the fender area and blow towards the new intake. CyncySpyder shows pics of that in his big thread.

SNOOPY
03-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Yep. after all that plastic mess is out, a few have done, and I am planning on taking the "hose" portion and mating that to a 3" Attwood bilge blower to draw in cooler air from around the fender area and blow towards the new intake. CyncySpyder shows pics of that in his big thread.

Are there any other lines (vacuum) or sensors attached to these plastic parts that have to be dealt with?

I wonder how a service dept would feel about this and warranty issues.

jthornton
03-04-2014, 07:16 AM
Is that the same on an ST?

That looks like 20 lbs of plastic!!! :gaah:

I've never seen a ST so I don't know. Yes it is a lot of plastic.

JT

jthornton
03-04-2014, 07:17 AM
Are there any other lines (vacuum) or sensors attached to these plastic parts that have to be dealt with?

I wonder how a service dept would feel about this and warranty issues.

The crankcase vent plugs into the breather housing and my adapter plate has a connection for that.

JT

SNOOPY
03-04-2014, 07:47 AM
Cool, thanks. :thumbup:

Jeriatric
03-04-2014, 11:44 PM
http://www.metrompg.com/zoom_image.htm?H=393&W=472&ZoomFile=wai%2Dresults%2Dchart%2Dz%2Egif&Caption=&title=WAI%20test%20results%20chart

http://www.metrompg.com/zoom_image.htm?H=504&W=735&ZoomFile=WAI%2Dhonda%2DIAT%2Dplot%2Dz%2Egif&Caption=Effect%20of%20AIT%20on%20fuel%20trim%20%2D %20less%20that%201%20is%20leaner%20than%20stoichio metric%2E%20%20Shown%20for%20a%20Honda%20B16A2%20e ngine%20%2896%2D00%20Civic%20Si%29%2E%20%20Thanks% 20%3Ca%20href%3D%22http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Egassavers%2E org%2Fforum%5Ftopic%2Fa%5Ftidbit%5Fabout%5Fiat%5Ft emps%5Fand%5Fresistance%2Ehtml%22%20target%3D%22%5 Fblank%22%20SVOboy%2C%20GasSavers%2Eorg%3C%2Fa%3E&title=Honda%20Civic%20AIT%2FFuel%20trim%20plot

Air intake temperature is used to correct fuel quantity (pulse width) since air temperature effects air density. (colder air is much more dense) Approximately 70°F is generally used for 0 correction, temperatures above will result in less fuel to compensate for the lower air density, and conversely temperatures below 70° will result in steadily richer (by volume) mixtures.

The hotter the air the leaner the mix. Things get dicier when temps are high and you're @ or below sea level.

SNOOPY
03-05-2014, 06:35 AM
By engine performance I meant power, not MPG.

Not really concerned w MPG, I have other vehicles for that. Lol

Those charts show better MPG, but w that added intake heat I'm sure you lose some power. :D

Jeriatric
03-05-2014, 06:50 AM
By engine performance I meant power, not MPG.

Not really concerned w MPG, I have other vehicles for that. Lol

Those charts show better MPG, but w that added intake heat I'm sure you lose some power. :D

But the reported warm air temps referenced in the charts are lower air temps than the real world air temps we deal with many months out of the year. Before adding under tupperware heat.

Performance or economy? May = Location

jwulf74
03-10-2014, 12:02 PM
Any ETA on when the intake will be in stock? :dontknow:

jthornton
03-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Any ETA on when the intake will be in stock? :dontknow:

I just brought the first batch home from the machine shop today. I have to prep them for anodizing then ship them to the anodizing plant. Everything else is ready for the first batch. I'm guessing I'll have them on the shelf the week of 3-24. Here is a photo of some of the parts sitting on the machinist work table.

JT

jwulf74
03-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the update. Weather is getting warmer and the wife is getting antsy. I let her borrow my Spyder yesterday so she could go out riding.;)

jthornton
03-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the update. Weather is getting warmer and the wife is getting antsy. I let her borrow my Spyder yesterday so she could go out riding.;)

Lucky you, the temperature is nice today and the sun is shining here... and snow still in some spots and the road to the highway is a mud pit!

I'm working as fast as one old fart can...

JT

Jeriatric
03-10-2014, 01:06 PM
I just brought the first batch home from the machine shop today. I have to prep them for anodizing then ship them to the anodizing plant. Everything else is ready for the first batch. I'm guessing I'll have them on the shelf the week of 3-24. Here is a photo of some of the parts sitting on the machinist work table.

JT

Looking good!

Will they be clear coat dipped or? Just curious.

OJ UK
03-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Agree. Just not sure whether the air (with all that plastic removed) will be any warmer/cooler than what the temp sensor to the ECM is reading. That said, more air can't hurt as long as it enters and vents/escapes DOWN as opposed to out the seat cracks.

It surely wouldn't be too hard to move the sensor to a more relevant location in respect of air temperature once the air box and resonator are out of the way.
Just my tuppence worth!

Jeriatric
03-10-2014, 02:06 PM
It sure wouldn't be too hard to move the sensor to a more relevant location in respect of air temperature once the air box and resonator are out of the way.
Just my tuppence worth!

The pros and cons of moving the sensor have been discussed. A lot. Not sure if anyone has actually done it?

Have no idea how much difference moving it would make. A few degrees (less than 8 or so) one way or the other may or may not matter in the grand scheme of things. One thing is for sure :dontknow:

warp10
03-10-2014, 03:03 PM
Those look great, now get busy on the new 2014 one. :yes:

jthornton
03-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Looking good!

Will they be clear coat dipped or? Just curious.

I'm having the anodized blue.

JT

jthornton
03-10-2014, 03:21 PM
Those look great, now get busy on the new 2014 one. :yes:

Ok, I just need to borrow your 2014 for a few days...

JT

Jeriatric
03-10-2014, 03:29 PM

JT

Blue works! :doorag: and, it will help cool the air ;) :joke:

OJ UK
03-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Blue works! :doorag: and, it will help cool the air ;) :joke:

I'll have two of whatever he's smokin'!! :roflblack:

jwulf74
03-10-2014, 03:33 PM

JT

Blue will work great since her Spyder is Blue and she is getting the intake first. :thumbup::shemademe_smilie:

My Spyder is Red...and will be getting one later on...:p

warp10
03-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Ok, I just need to borrow your 2014 for a few days...

JT

Still waiting to get it, :gaah:

jthornton
03-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Blue will work great since her Spyder is Blue and she is getting the intake first. :thumbup::shemademe_smilie:

My Spyder is Red...and will be getting one later on...:p

Oh no do I have to stock Red ones too? I mean you can't see it once the cover is on...

JT

jwulf74
03-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Oh no do I have to stock Red ones too? I mean you can't see it once the cover is on...

JT

Lol. Only for really OCD people. :roflblack:

Good news is that it looks like you have a lot of demand. :)

jthornton
03-10-2014, 05:37 PM
Lol. Only for really OCD people. :roflblack:

Good news is that it looks like you have a lot of demand. :)

Yes, I was suprised at the response to this product.

Most of you PM'ed me your email but a few didn't. If I could get them to PM me their email that will make notifying easier. I plan on sending out emails to everyone on the list before letting the cat out of the bag on here :chat:.

If yamahog, spacetiger, SpydermanCT, 3 Wheel Addict and Pandy would PM me your email it would be a big help.

Thanks
JT

SNOOPY
03-10-2014, 07:55 PM

Most of you PM'ed me your email but a few didn't. If I could get them to PM me their email that will make notifying easier. I plan on sending out emails to everyone on the list before letting the cat out of the bag on here :chat:.

If yamahog, spacetiger, SpydermanCT, 3 Wheel Addict and Pandy would PM me your email it would be a big help.

Thanks
JT

I don't see my name in there? :banghead:

Actually, I'm interested, but want to get a feeling from my dealer about this since my bike is new and still under warranty. :(

Wwulf76
03-10-2014, 07:56 PM

Yes, your wife really wants her bike back too. Sixty degrees and my baby blue is in pieces in the garage. :helpsmilie:

SNOOPY
03-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Yes, your wife really wants her bike back too. Sixty degrees and my baby blue is in pieces in the garage. :helpsmilie:

Ohsnap, someone is in trouble. :yikes:

SNOOPY
03-10-2014, 07:59 PM
I'll have two of whatever he's smokin'!! :roflblack:

roflmao

yamahog
03-10-2014, 08:37 PM

Thanks
JT

PM sent thanks for the nudge I am so forgetful these days. :D :chat:

SNOOPY
03-10-2014, 08:52 PM
PM sent thanks for the nudge I am so forgetful these days. :D :chat:

You PM'd me :roflblack:

Might want to PM jthornton :shocked:

Ramjet
03-10-2014, 09:07 PM
one question; Why do you have to take out the resonator? just to make more room?

Also I added the Virtka Trike air intake body panels so the top of the engine will be getting blasted by cool air all the time in pretty high volumes. I think most are over thinking the hot air thing as the air dam is removed the movement in terms of CFM will be quadrupled at least. thus not having superheated stale air. in addition I wrapped my headers with Heatshield Products high temp 1/4" insulation. I just needed few more stainless ties then will give some before and after temp readings with the IR heat gun right at the header after 10 minutes of idle.

GeoffCee
03-10-2014, 09:10 PM
Have you worked out a retail price for this, JT, or have I missed seeing it?

Wwulf76
03-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Ohsnap, someone is in trouble. :yikes:

He is making up for it by letting me ride his. He spent several hours getting it apart so I could have black handlebars. I just wish BRP would have figured that part out a little sooner. They grey is too bright and his chrome reflects too much. He even let me take it out yesterday while he stayed home and washed my truck. Bonus points for him. :)

jwulf74
03-10-2014, 09:39 PM
one question; Why do you have to take out the resonator? just to make more room?

Also I added the Virtka Trike air intake body panels so the top of the engine will be getting blasted by cool air all the time in pretty high volumes. I think most are over thinking the hot air thing as the air dam is removed the movement in terms of CFM will be quadrupled at least. thus not having superheated stale air. in addition I wrapped my headers with Heatshield Products high temp 1/4" insulation. I just needed few more stainless ties then will give some before and after temp readings with the IR heat gun right at the header after 10 minutes of idle.

Basically, the resonator does nothing but take up room after you take the stock airbox out (as far as I know). I need the extra room for mounting some of the add-on electronic bits that we have planned.

Ramjet
03-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Basically, the resonator does nothing but take up room after you take the stock airbox out (as far as I know). I need the extra room for mounting some of the add-on electronic bits that we have planned.

OK thanks that was I thinking but wanted to ask.

jthornton
03-11-2014, 08:31 AM

You take out the resonator to get better air flow and it does nothing after you remove the air box.

JT

jthornton
03-11-2014, 08:33 AM
Have you worked out a retail price for this, JT, or have I missed seeing it?

I have a price in mind but I need to get the final price to and from the anodizer as well as the actual anodizer cost. I will price them as cost effective as I can. I don't make much profit on my products, I enjoy making them.

JT

metman
03-11-2014, 09:58 PM
You take out the resonator to get better air flow and it does nothing after you remove the air box.

JT

I just finished wrapping my exhaust pipes and gutting the Cat. Put in a K&N filter from Ron and then proceeded to cut the resonator off the intake pipe. Patched the roughly 2" square hole in the intake pipe and then wire tied it to the bracket with the two rubber grommets that position the resonator/intake pipe.

I took the left side lateral support off to wrap the front exhaust pipe, and despite what someone on the forum said and IMHO, there ain't no way to get the air box out the left side, at least on my 2012 RT-S.

But now I got all kinds or room up front to mount the Stebel and maybe other stuff where the resonator used to be.

Mike in KY

jthornton
03-12-2014, 06:06 AM
I just finished wrapping my exhaust pipes and gutting the Cat. Put in a K&N filter from Ron and then proceeded to cut the resonator off the intake pipe. Patched the roughly 2" square hole in the intake pipe and then wire tied it to the bracket with the two rubber grommets that position the resonator/intake pipe.

I took the left side lateral support off to wrap the front exhaust pipe, and despite what someone on the forum said and IMHO, there ain't no way to get the air box out the left side, at least on my 2012 RT-S.

But now I got all kinds or room up front to mount the Stebel and maybe other stuff where the resonator used to be.

Mike in KY

I don't think it is possible to get the air box out the left side as well.

JT

jthornton
03-14-2014, 06:04 AM
Just an update, I'm shipping the first batch to the anodizer today. Hopefully they are done and back soon. Just a reminder I won't be able to ship anything Monday - Wednesday of next week.

Thanks
JT

SNOOPY
03-14-2014, 07:17 AM
Thursday is good for me. :thumbup:

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

jthornton
03-22-2014, 05:45 AM
I got some info from the anodizer and they should be done with my parts Tuesday... getting close.

JT

Jeriatric
03-22-2014, 09:04 AM
I got some info from the anodizer and they should be done with my parts Tuesday... getting close.

JT

The sooner the better. It's warming up here :roflblack:

jthornton
03-22-2014, 11:49 AM
The sooner the better. It's warming up here :roflblack:

I'm hurrying as fast as I can, it is out of my hands at this point. The shipment from Wix is supposed to be in next week as well. As soon as I get my hands on the anodized parts and filters I can start assembling the kits. I'm stoked and can't wait to put my Spyder back together with the new air filter.

JT

Jeriatric
03-22-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm hurrying as fast as I can, it is out of my hands at this point. The shipment from Wix is supposed to be in next week as well. As soon as I get my hands on the anodized parts and filters I can start assembling the kits. I'm stoked and can't wait to put my Spyder back together with the new air filter.

JT

Reminds me of the little kid that exclaimed. Mommy, mommy! How come I keep running in circles?

Mommy replied. Shut up kid. Or I' ll nail the other foot down.

We know you're going as fast as your suppliers/subs will allow. But hurry all you can :roflblack:

SNOOPY
03-22-2014, 09:15 PM
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff473/texaslady1960/waiting.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/texaslady1960/media/waiting.gif.html)

jthornton
03-23-2014, 08:06 AM
Reminds me of the little kid that exclaimed. Mommy, mommy! How come I keep running in circles?

Mommy replied. Shut up kid. Or I' ll nail the other foot down.

We know you're going as fast as your suppliers/subs will allow. But hurry all you can :roflblack:

LOL

JT

Ramjet
03-23-2014, 09:37 AM

JT

WHY WIX as opposed to K&N? So this is a paper element?

jthornton
03-23-2014, 09:49 AM
WHY WIX as opposed to K&N? So this is a paper element?

Yes I chose a paper element because the paper element has much better filtration than a K&N. If your a believer in K&N they have one that crosses over to the Wix. In fact there are about 40 filters that cross over to the one I chose.

JT

DrewNJ
03-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Any concerns with an open paper element riding in the rain?

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Doc - Riverside
03-23-2014, 01:52 PM
Any concerns with an open paper element riding in the rain?

It stays high and dry under all the plastic and the top of the frame.

Mike on a Trike
03-23-2014, 02:29 PM
During normal throttle there is a mellow sound. When you jump on the throttle you get a deep throaty sound until you get up to a steady speed then the sound returns to normal.

The biggest improvement you will see is you are no longer sitting on a Barbeque Grill.

So what you are saying is that my chestnuts won't be roasted on every ride?? :ohyea:

jthornton
03-23-2014, 03:34 PM
So what you are saying is that my chestnuts won't be roasted on every ride?? :ohyea:

You do have to make some concessions when you get a cooler ride...

JT

jwulf74
03-24-2014, 06:12 PM
So... I saw a dollar amount pop in on the website... are we clear to order? :dontknow:

If so... :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

jthornton
03-24-2014, 06:18 PM
So... I saw a dollar amount pop in on the website... are we clear to order? :dontknow:

If so... :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Not quite yet... I just got the bill from the anodizer and could compute my final costs. But we are real close. I'm excited!

JT

SNOOPY
03-24-2014, 08:38 PM
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab187/rocker_4u/Unnamedsdfsfsdfsd.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/rocker_4u/media/Unnamedsdfsfsdfsd.gif.html)

lol

jcthorne
04-01-2014, 07:58 AM
Any updates on these? Cost and availability? Some pics of the completed product?

Thanks,

jthornton
04-01-2014, 08:17 AM
Any updates on these? Cost and availability? Some pics of the completed product?

Thanks,

Ok, here is a sneak peek at the filters...

The price is $195 including Priority USPS shipping.

I guess the cat is out of the bag now and you can order the AF-1 (http://gnipsel.com/spyderstore/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=65) anytime. Most of the folks on the list have purchased theirs so it is ok to say...

THE AIR FILTERS ARE IN STOCK!

I'll start shipping Wednesday.

Thanks for your patience on this project.
JT

Now I need to get back to work...

3 Wheel Addict
04-01-2014, 11:36 AM
I have ordered mine and the payment has been sent, can't wait to see it for real! :ohyea::ohyea:

Now we all need that cat bypass.....

jthornton
04-01-2014, 12:58 PM
I have ordered mine and the payment has been sent, can't wait to see it for real! :ohyea::ohyea:

Now we all need that cat bypass.....

I'm actually ahead of myself today and just now headed to the post office to mail out a stack of air filters and other products... gonna take my hand truck!

Thanks
JT

jthornton
04-03-2014, 05:47 AM
Just an update, thanks to the persistence of JRWW I've shipped my first order to Australia. It was quite a challenge to design an over pack box for the air filter and stay under 4 lbs.

JT

jwulf74
04-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Guess what showed up in the mail today. :yes::yes::yes:

Ok, it's not really installed as I need to run to get some RTV and Loctite, but it is "in" :)

3 Wheel Addict
04-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Yup got mine today as well, nice piece but don't really care for the blue color but I can live with it.

SNOOPY
04-04-2014, 09:11 PM
Mine came in today too.

Hopefully the cool blue color will make the other engine components feel cooler. :brrr:

LOL

Mine may be a little while before install. Trying to figure out if adding the cat delete and the filter will require a tuner box? :(

jwulf74
04-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Just got mine all installed (well, it's on her :spyder2:). Probably test it out tomorrow.:yes:

jthornton
04-05-2014, 05:54 AM
Guess what showed up in the mail today. :yes::yes::yes:

Ok, it's not really installed as I need to run to get some RTV and Loctite, but it is "in" :)

Looking good, I hope to get mine installed today if I can catch up with making parts.

JT

SNOOPY
04-05-2014, 05:58 AM
Does it help at all getting all the factory intake pieces out by removing the frunk, or can every thing be taken out w it in place?

Doc - Riverside
04-05-2014, 07:46 AM
Does it help at all getting all the factory intake pieces out by removing the frunk, or can every thing be taken out w it in place?

Removing the Frunk makes the job a whole lot easier. It allows you to remove the two front bolts on the right and left hand lateral supports, then remove the the bolt on the corner of the gas tank and the two bolt above the driver foot peg. By having the lateral supports loose it allows the air box and resonator to be removed easier. lest side you have to disconnect the three large connectors for the resonator removal.

SNOOPY
04-05-2014, 09:51 AM
Thank you :thumbup:

I take it this is all similar on an STS. :)

msj4848
04-05-2014, 02:19 PM
Will this fit on an rs?

Doc - Riverside
04-05-2014, 02:38 PM
Will this fit on an rs?

Yes. WackyDan did a test fit to make sure.

SNOOPY
04-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Funny thing is that my box is marked to fit RT's, RS's and GS's...not a mention of ST's....and I don't even know what a GS is? :opps:

3 Wheel Addict
04-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Well I tore down the bike today and got mine installed. It's not gonna work out for me so I tore it back down and removed it and put the stock air box back on. I don't care for the extra engine noise that the bike has with the factory box gone other than that it was a simple install and everything fit nice and WOW do you have a lot of room in there with the air box gone! I'm going to list mine in the for sale area and put the money back for his cat bypass when he gets that done.

SNOOPY
04-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Well I tore down the bike today and got mine installed. It's not gonna work out for me so I tore it back down and removed it and put the stock air box back on. I don't care for the extra engine noise that the bike has with the factory box gone other than that it was a simple install and everything fit nice and WOW do you have a lot of room in there with the air box gone! I'm going to list mine in the for sale area and put the money back for his cat bypass when he gets that done.

So you were able to remove the factory parts and reinstall / no problem?

3 Wheel Addict
04-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Yes but it's no picnic to get the main airbox housing out and then back in but I was able to do it with out any damage or cutting anything. I will tell you this though, if you don't mine the extra noise the bike has way better acceleration with the air filter on it. I had some people tell me about the noise before I bought it but wanted to try it for myself.

SNOOPY
04-05-2014, 09:30 PM
Yes but it's no picnic to get the main airbox housing out and then back in but I was able to do it with out any damage or cutting anything. I will tell you this though, if you don't mine the extra noise the bike has way better acceleration with the air filter on it. I had some people tell me about the noise before I bought it but wanted to try it for myself.

I appreciate your honest input.

Sorry you had to go through all the trouble of install/uninstall.:(

jthornton
04-06-2014, 07:16 AM

I sent you a PM.

JT

Jeriatric
04-06-2014, 09:04 AM
Nice work JT :thumbup: :doorag:

jthornton
04-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Nice work JT :thumbup: :doorag:

Thanks, I couldn't have done it without the help of Doc Riverside and WackyDan! A big thanks to them :thumbup:for helping on this project and others.

JT

gnirtsnod
04-06-2014, 08:22 PM
I finally found enough of my garage floor(I put away and cleaned for 4 hours this morning) to work on my Spyder today. Task #1 remove the air box... done. Task #2 get the length of the breather hose needed... done. This is the prototype in the photo. Doc Riverside's friend Don has his Spyder all apart for chroming and could not wait for the production air filters so he is getting the prototype. Doc Riverside had a lot of input into the design of the filter to make it very easy to change and other ideas he had to make it the best one you can get. I'm so excited and can't wait to get them in stock. I guess I have to park my Spyder until I get them in stock... cause I'm not putting the air box back in. I could not believe how hard it was to get the factory filter out... what were they thinking?

JT

Being the "Don" referenced above, I'm excited about having J.T.'s new air filter. I'm embarrassed to say that it's not installed yet but that will probably change by next weekend. Some family issues have taken precedence over working on the Spyder.

As for the air filter assembly, it's really impressive coming out of the box. I just stood there admiring the machining that went into making it, and everything I needed was included. I'm sure that between J.T. and Doc I'm going to have exactly what I need to get my scooter breathing just right.

Now, someone tell me again how easy it is getting that resonator out. :yikes:

jwulf74
04-06-2014, 08:34 PM
The resonator is way easier than the air box. I loosened the upper console to get it out. Made it a lot eaiesr.

We got in a good ride today. I can't say that it is really any louder than before. Just a little extra noise on hard accel. We do wear earplugs when riding now though. Way more comfortable as it cuts down the wind noise (we wear full face helmets too).

jthornton
04-07-2014, 07:07 AM
Being the "Don" referenced above, I'm excited about having J.T.'s new air filter. I'm embarrassed to say that it's not installed yet but that will probably change by next weekend. Some family issues have taken precedence over working on the Spyder.

As for the air filter assembly, it's really impressive coming out of the box. I just stood there admiring the machining that went into making it, and everything I needed was included. I'm sure that between J.T. and Doc I'm going to have exactly what I need to get my scooter breathing just right.

Now, someone tell me again how easy it is getting that resonator out. :yikes:

Hi Don,

The resonator was the easy part for me, I removed the frunk for both parts so I could remove the bolts that hold the left brace and lower it down.

JT

Wwulf76
04-07-2014, 08:38 PM
I can't believe the difference with mine. We took our bikes out yesterday for a few hours tooling around on the highways and the bike performed great. After we were almost ready to come home, I realized I hadn't let my husband ride it yet. ;) He put in so much work with my handlebars, alarm and this mod. When I got on his bike it was hot (what mine used to be). I didn't even realize how much difference until I got on his, also a 2011 RTS. It was great.

As far as noise, I can still hear my radio at 70+ with my helmet and ear plugs, so it is nothing.

SNOOPY
04-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Cool :thumbup:

jthornton
04-10-2014, 02:01 PM
I just started another batch of air filters... my plan is to never be out of stock and return all emails ASAP.

Thanks for your support.

JT

yamahog
04-10-2014, 02:55 PM
I just started another batch of air filters... my plan is to never be out of stock and return all emails ASAP.

Thanks for your support.

JT

I am really impressed with the quick e-mail responce I have gotten and I havent even baught from you yet, but soon, probably july, I cant wait.:2thumbs::2thumbs:

5PYD3R
04-10-2014, 03:08 PM
So this mythical creature that you guys keep calling "the resonator" where is it on the GS/RS? Should have my kit Saturday and have every intention of being dead to the world and installing it. Want to make sure I have everything done properly.

coz
04-10-2014, 03:17 PM
that's an r t thing, so the old folks don't hurt their ears.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::rolleyes:

5PYD3R
04-10-2014, 03:39 PM
that's an r t thing, so the old folks don't hurt their ears.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::rolleyes:

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: cool, one less thing for me to worry about

Chupaca
04-10-2014, 03:53 PM
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: cool, one less thing for me to worry about

Yours should just fall out the right side..pop the lid, remove the six torx holding it to the throttle body, pull off the oil vent line and the idle air sensor hose clip a few ties and bam..!! 15 minutes, if not pop by....:thumbup:

5PYD3R
04-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Yours should just fall out the right side..pop the lid, remove the six torx holding it to the throttle body, pull off the oil vent line and the idle air sensor hose clip a few ties and bam..!! 15 minutes, if not pop by....:thumbup:

Yeah I have had it off a few times just wasnt sure about the resonator. Thanks though. So looking forward to the extra room and no oil mess anymore

revjvegas
04-10-2014, 04:08 PM
...As far as noise, I can still hear my radio at 70+ with my helmet and ear plugs, so it is nothing.

That's good news as I ride the same way.
70+ with ear plugs in all the time.

Mine is to arrive this Saturday :clap:, but I won't be able to get to it till the following weekend. :sour:

NancysToy
04-10-2014, 05:29 PM

:lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie :

You're gonna get a detention if you keep this up. ;)

SNOOPY
04-10-2014, 05:42 PM
That's good news as I ride the same way.
70+ with ear plugs in all the time.

Mine is to arrive this Saturday :clap:, but I won't be able to get to it till the following weekend. :sour:

I try to ride 70+ all the time too as long as my detector isn't flashing. Lol

I don't think I'd hear a different noise anyhow w my Bluetooth music playin'

SNOOPY
04-10-2014, 05:44 PM
I am really impressed with the quick e-mail responce I have gotten and I havent even baught from you yet, but soon, probably july, I cant wait.:2thumbs::2thumbs:

I agree, John seems to be right on top of things. Great product and great service!

I think he's in the same boat as Lamont and BajaRon....we have great vendors here !!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thats 3 thumps up :)

SNOOPY
04-11-2014, 10:18 AM
So what are people doing w the crankcase hose?

Does it require a catch can on a 2013 ?

jthornton
04-11-2014, 10:47 AM
So what are people doing w the crankcase hose?

Does it require a catch can on a 2013 ?

The new crankcase vent hose supplied with the kit is connected to the throttle body adapter with the supplied worm clamps.

JT

SNOOPY
04-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Guess I should have opened it up and looked at it better! :roflblack::roflblack:

Dat Guy
05-19-2014, 11:02 PM
Now that people have had a chance to use these for a while, can we get an update? Performance, gas mileage, noise...any noticeable difference over time? Also, I noticed on JT's website that they are out of stock... is this accurate?

SNOOPY
05-20-2014, 05:07 AM
I like mine mainly for all the extra airspace around the engine.

Ive never checked or cared about gas mileage on my bike.

It makes a little bit of a cool noise when on the throttle, love it. :thumbup:

Having that I put on the JT about the same time as the Akrapovic, I'm sure the bike has better performance, but without a dyno run I can't prove it. :)

jwulf74
05-20-2014, 09:06 AM
Engine bay and tupperware stay cooler, a little louder on acceleration but not bad. We don't track gas mileage either... butt dyno says a little better performance with stock cat and exhaust but no break way to prove it.

900Dave
05-20-2014, 04:59 PM
No noticable performance improvements for me. But that is not why I installed it. It is louder under excelleration, I also wear earplugs. I now have bluetooth and play music so it is not nearly as noticable. I installed it for the heat and the now improved airflow around the engine & sidepanels. On the highway it works perfectly. In stop in go traffic I start to get the left side heat to an extent, but not too bad, as there is not enough continuous air flow in those conditions. My engine temp is usually down 1 bar also. I was always at 5 bars and now a lot of the time I am at 4 on the temp gauge when cruising at a fairly constant speed.

SNOOPY
05-20-2014, 06:50 PM
No noticable performance improvements for me. But that is not why I installed it. It is louder under excelleration, I also wear earplugs. I now have bluetooth and play music so it is not nearly as noticable. I installed it for the heat and the now improved airflow around the engine & sidepanels. On the highway it works perfectly. In stop in go traffic I start to get the left side heat to an extent, but not too bad, as there is not enough continuous air flow in those conditions. My engine temp is usually down 1 bar also. I was always at 5 bars and now a lot of the time I am at 4 on the temp gauge when cruising at a fairly constant speed.

I thought I noticed that my bars were also down to 4 bars now, but thought maybe I was mistaken...but now that you mention this, I will have to check again. :)

SPYD3R
05-20-2014, 07:09 PM

JT

VERY much different design than the GS/RS models...
i'll wait for the GS to get the 3 banger b4 i purchase a new air-intake unit...
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R

JKMSPYDER
05-20-2014, 08:08 PM
I installed JT's air filter kit several weeks ago. I have noticed better acceleration, engine heat has decreased, and I got 36.1 mpg after using a full tank of gas with the new air filter. Best mileage I have ever gotten on my ST-S. This may be a fluke, but I'll keep checking.

SNOOPY
05-20-2014, 08:30 PM
VERY much different design than the GS/RS models...
i'll wait for the GS to get the 3 banger b4 i purchase a new air-intake unit...
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R

Wondering what year RS you have?

gnirtsnod
05-20-2014, 09:19 PM
The air filter kit has been sitting on the throttle body for some time waiting for the Spyder to be put back together and Saturday was its chance to impress me...and it did, and looked good in the process. I first noticed the increased noise on acceleration and a definite tug in the seat with the increased acceleration.

Last night I drove it from my son-in-law's house (daughter's house, too) to its home garage after being gone for four months. I first went out on the interstate where I cranked it up on the entrance ramp. The noise was louder than expected but settled down when I did. At cruising speed I was right at home in the saddle. I will say that being an old Harley rider, the occasional roar was appealing. I also didn't notice any heat until I stopped to see a friend a sat on the Spyder with it running. What should I expect, huh?

Great job, J.T. and all who helped get the kit from prototype to production. ...Don

P.S. I'm leaving Saturday for a week long trip on the Spyder. I'll get a real feel for mileage, heat and noise. News at eleven!

jthornton
05-21-2014, 05:33 AM
Keep us posted on your trip.

JT
From a pier in key west at dawn

SNOOPY
05-21-2014, 08:20 PM
JT
From a pier in key west at dawn

Awesome! :thumbup:

WackyDan
05-21-2014, 09:53 PM

I've been running the kewl metal in my GS for 20k miles and it hasn't bothered it at all. I notice a bit of crappy running on very hot humid days when caught at lights, but I had that with the airbox too. Main reason I went with the intake was to make getting in and doing maintenance easier and that meant being able to get at the plugs.

WackyDan
05-21-2014, 09:54 PM
That might be possible, I'll have to look into it. I know WackyDan wants to do that too.

JT

YES>.. I do. :) Problem in the short term is whether I want to do that on my ol'GS or wait and do it on a new ST with the 1330 in it.

WackyDan
05-21-2014, 10:00 PM
I don't see my name in there? :banghead:

Actually, I'm interested, but want to get a feeling from my dealer about this since my bike is new and still under warranty. :(

Valid concern... But... My dealer, nor has any other dealer I've had any service done cared about my intake or other mods.

jthornton
05-30-2014, 09:05 AM
For those of you waiting on me to get the Air Filter Kit's back in stock I got an email that UPS has picked up the parts from the anodizer and they are on the way to me. I wonder how long it takes to get from one corner of Missouri to the other?

Thanks for your patience
JT

SNOOPY
05-30-2014, 09:04 PM
Worth the wait :thumbup:

jthornton
06-02-2014, 04:22 PM
Worth the wait :thumbup:

The wait is over with, I have them in my hands now... I'll start shipping them Wednesday.

JT

jcthorne
06-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Thanks JT. Order IN. :2thumbs:

jthornton
06-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Got it!

JT

Topshotta
06-12-2014, 08:34 AM
I am looking to do the next mod on my RSS.....JT's air filter. Few question for those who have installed it on a RS/RSS:

how easy/difficult was it to install?
there is a hose on the left side that connects to the engine and air box. Does JT filter have an attachment for that? I could not see it in the pictures on his website
what was the advantage/gains from installing JT filter?

Thanks

jthornton
06-12-2014, 01:04 PM
I am looking to do the next mod on my RSS.....JT's air filter. Few question for those who have installed it on a RS/RSS:

how easy/difficult was it to install?
there is a hose on the left side that connects to the engine and air box. Does JT filter have an attachment for that? I could not see it in the pictures on his website
what was the advantage/gains from installing JT filter?

Thanks

1. I'll let some RS owners chime in on that.
2. The GS/RS option provides a filter to fit that hose.
3. I'll let the RS owners answer that.

JT

gnirtsnod
06-12-2014, 01:32 PM

JT

As Topshotta's question #3 ===> http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?67920-Thank-You-J-T&p=816854#post816854

Topshotta
06-12-2014, 03:35 PM

JT

I was was referring to the other side.

jthornton
06-12-2014, 04:44 PM
I was was referring to the other side.

The Air Filter Kit comes with a new hose and clamps for the crankcase breather.

JT

SNOOPY
06-12-2014, 05:11 PM
What is this mysterious "different" hose that is on the RS and not on the ST? :dontknow:

Topshotta
06-12-2014, 07:03 PM
What is this mysterious "different" hose that is on the RS and not on the ST? :dontknow:

There is a hose that run from the engine (crankcase) to the air box on the left side (if you are sitting on the spyder)

SNOOPY
06-12-2014, 07:15 PM
There is a hose that run from the engine (crankcase) to the air box on the left side (if you are sitting on the spyder)

As far as I remember I had a hose on the left side that JT made a connection for at the bottom of the air filter for the ST...is that not the crankcase vent hose you speak of?

Topshotta
06-12-2014, 07:38 PM
As far as I remember I had a hose on the left side that JT made a connection for at the bottom of the air filter for the ST...is that not the crankcase vent hose you speak of?

Yes my friend it is the same one I speak of.

SNOOPY
06-12-2014, 08:29 PM
Yes my friend it is the same one I speak of.

So I wonder why RS owners are putting a filter on it?

Why not connect it to he intake like JTs filter has...or are these pics not w a JT filter?

Topshotta
06-12-2014, 09:16 PM
So I wonder why RS owners are putting a filter on it?

Why not connect it to he intake like JTs filter has...or are these pics not w a JT filter?

Dog,
The hose you are talking about was connected to the original filter box. I am not sure what is its purpose (someone smarter than me will chime in). This one is one the right side.

the crankcase hose is on the left which connects to JT filter.

DrewNJ
06-12-2014, 09:23 PM
The right side is for the IAC valve for the 08'-12' RS.
Drive by wire system doesn't have that.

SNOOPY
06-12-2014, 09:26 PM
The right side is for the IAC valve.

So is this a hose only on the RS and why?

Just trying to figure why if we have the same motor there are different hose connections?

SNOOPY
06-12-2014, 09:27 PM
The right side is for the IAC valve for the 08'-12' RS.
Drive by wire system doesn't have that.

You corrected as I posted...lol

DrewNJ
06-12-2014, 09:28 PM
I knew it was coming... :D

jthornton
06-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Just an update for those that like the cooler ride from my Air Filter kit but want less throttle sound I've just finished testing my Extra Quiet Pre-Filter (http://gnipsel.com/spyderstore/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=69) and will be offering a Quiet version as well next week. I'll be uploading some videos after while to show you how it sounds now. Not being able to find a commercial one I had to develop a way to make them in house. Quite fun but the learning curve is over now and I'm real happy with the results. Took me about 2 weeks to install the pre-filter :banghead: 10 minutes last week and 10 minutes today.

JT

jthornton
06-20-2014, 08:10 AM
Just an update on this, I found some better material worked out a better way to glue them together and should have the new style in the store Monday or today...

JT

SNOOPY
06-26-2014, 04:19 PM
I added a prefilter. I don't think it will do anything for the sound, but it will do 2 things.

Keep the filter cleaner a bit longer, and cover up the slow blue color. :roflblack:

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv61/fastestshelby2/2013%20Can%20Am/DSC01273_zpsddc2471e.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/fastestshelby2/media/2013%20Can%20Am/DSC01273_zpsddc2471e.jpg.html)

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv61/fastestshelby2/2013%20Can%20Am/DSC01271_zpsfee130d5.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/fastestshelby2/media/2013%20Can%20Am/DSC01271_zpsfee130d5.jpg.html)

ahh-cool
07-05-2014, 07:11 PM
As far as noise, I can still hear my radio at 70+ with my helmet and ear plugs, so it is nothing.

I don't understand, did you wear earplugs before the mod, or do you need them after the mod?
If you always sore them, why?

900Dave
07-05-2014, 08:12 PM
I don't understand, did you wear earplugs before the mod, or do you need them after the mod?

I wore the ear plugs before the new air filter & after. There is increased air intake noise from the new air filter. The reason for ear plugs is hours & hours of noise regardless of where it comes from can cause hearing loss. I mean exaust noise or intake noise, wind buffeting, tractor trailers right next to you, ect, ect. To tell the truth after they are in a couple of minutes I do not even notice that they are there.

jwulf74
07-05-2014, 10:25 PM

We wear earplugs on the highway mainly due to the wind noise and wore them before the mod and still do after the mod. The wind noise is way harsher than the engine with the mod.

SNOOPY
07-06-2014, 07:06 AM
We wear earplugs on the highway mainly due to the wind noise and wore them before the mod and still do after the mod. The wind noise is way harsher than the engine with the mod.

Do you not listen to any music while riding?

robmorg
07-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Just an update on this, I found some better material worked out a better way to glue them together and should have the new style in the store Monday or today...

JT

JT...

The quieter sound would really appeal to me. But I'm wondering about air flow. While far from an expert in these matters, it seems to me that the thickness of that foam may reduce airflow, resulting in a richer mixture. I suspect that wouldn't effect power all that much, but may reduce some of the increased fuel economy enjoyed by the mod. This all may well be a non-issue. Just wondering...

Any thoughts in these areas, JT?

Also, given your comments earlier about the K&M filter, do you think the extra filtration of the pre-filter make the K&M filter a more viable option than before? (I'm thinking the K&N filter may increase air flow slightly, and would also reduce maintenance.)

jthornton
07-06-2014, 11:07 AM
JT...

The quieter sound would really appeal to me. But I'm wondering about air flow. While far from an expert in these matters, it seems to me that the thickness of that foam may reduce airflow, resulting in a richer mixture. I suspect that wouldn't effect power all that much, but may reduce some of the increased fuel economy enjoyed by the mod. This all may well be a non-issue. Just wondering...

Any thoughts in these areas, JT?

Also, given your comments earlier about the K&M filter, do you think the extra filtration of the pre-filter make the K&M filter a more viable option than before? (I'm thinking the K&N filter may increase air flow slightly, and would also reduce maintenance.)

I've not noticed any difference in air flow and I've put about 1k miles on the green pre-filter with a paper filter. The green material is a filter material and is designed to flow air. The pore size is much bigger than the paper filter so the flow rate should be higher. As for the sound it is very pleasant to me now and I can hear the radio great while riding and the ride is much cooler. I don't check mileage any more so I don't know what I get, I do know I go a bit farther between fill ups now.

As for the K&N filter if you use that then your maintenance is increased due to the fact that you have to oil your filter at some intervals. IMHO I see no reason to use a K&N unless your flat our racing and your air path is tuned for very high flow rates.

Just my $0.02
JT

ahh-cool
07-06-2014, 12:54 PM
OK you got me I'm ordering the filter & foam today
Stefan

jwulf74
07-06-2014, 12:59 PM
Do you not listen to any music while riding?

Yep... radio cranked about 3/4 is loud enough to hear on the highway with plugs and a helmet.

SNOOPY
07-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Gotcha. :thumbup:

robmorg
07-06-2014, 04:14 PM
I've not noticed any difference in air flow and I've put about 1k miles on the green pre-filter with a paper filter... As for the sound it is very pleasant to me now and I can hear the radio great while riding and the ride is much cooler. I don't check mileage any more so I don't know what I get, I do know I go a bit farther between fill ups now.
JT
All that from the addition of the green pre-filter??? Wow, that sounds great! Thanks.

900Dave
07-06-2014, 05:05 PM
Just installed my pre filter & did a short 70 mile ride today. Sound does seem to be slightly lower. As for fuel mileage it just keep going up.:2thumbs: I do not know if it is the air filter or is it that 998 is now only now truly broken in. AT about 3500 miles my mileage started to get better, mid 20's to upper 20,s. Yesterday we did a 320 mile ride and I got between 32 & 33 the entire day. Low fuel light came on at 158 miles. I could have probably stretched it to 200 miles on that tank if I wanted to. That was riding 2 up through the mountains. I am now at 5200 miles.

Almost forgot, very little left side heat since installing the air filter. I may choose to install the 2014 side panels at a later date for some extra cooling.

jthornton
07-07-2014, 07:32 AM
All that from the addition of the green pre-filter??? Wow, that sounds great! Thanks.

The green pre-filter reduces the throttle body sound... the cooler ride and mileage comes from removing the air box and resonator and replacing it with my air filter kit.

JT

ahh-cool
07-07-2014, 10:49 PM
Almost forgot, very little left side heat since installing the air filter. I may choose to install the 2014 side panels at a later date for some extra cooling.

left side heat?
my problem is more on the right side

robmorg
07-08-2014, 02:04 PM
left side heat?
my problem is more on the right side

My biggest problem with heat is on the left side as well - far more objectionable than the dragon's cave down by the right foot. The exhaust header from the front cylinder runs laterally along the entire left side of the engine. On hot days, the heat just soaks the left side of the engine compartment making the LH top and middle side panels extremely hot, and then pours out around the left side of the seat, near the glove box, burning the heck out of my upper leg.

Next week, in order to attempt to lessen this problem, I am wrapping both exhaust headers and cat intakes, and adding additional reflective insulation to the nearby body panels - especially at the tops of the panels under the seat. It that doesn't help, my next step is to follow the rest of the "dragon slayer's" mods in this thread (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?66883-The-quot-Dragon-quot-is-dead), including JT's airbox mod (now that he's got the pre-filter out).

ahh-cool
07-09-2014, 04:34 PM
I received JT'S filter today. I have to say the blue in person doesn't look as bad as it does on the screen.
Hoping to install it this weekend