PDA

View Full Version : Running Rough

Laz
08-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Rng unnung rough. Plugs are very light tan. Running 87 octane fuel. A frind of mine said seems to be running uneven. Any input? :dontknow:

NancysToy
08-15-2008, 08:10 AM
It is the nature of a V-twin to run unevenly. The firing order and crank throw angles dictate that. On the other hand, any changes can indicate a problem. Bad fuel, sensor issues, ECU malfunction, ignition problems, etc. Unfortunately, wiith an engine controlled by an ECU, which in this case has a program which can't even be modified by a BRP technician, it is difficult to adjust the tuning in any way. If the probem is significant, I would talk to your dealer. Maybe he can call BRP to see if any others have had the same problem.
-Scotty

tatt2r
08-15-2008, 01:15 PM
not being a motorcycle mechanic .... i was told by dealer not to start and shut down like to let people hear sound of pipes .... things like that, it could cause plug foul ....again this was only hear say ....

retread
08-15-2008, 03:52 PM
I had something close happen, I had stopped at a slider joint after about 40 miles, after about 20 minutes, moved Spydee about 200 yards & parked again, for less than 5 minutes; when I restarted it, it ran like my old HD 45 (on 1 cylinder) for about a minute. Let it sit at about 2k rpm and it cleared up. First time for that.

Laz
08-15-2008, 08:22 PM
I have a Stratoliner, and this runs like a piece of crap compared to the Strat.
The thing ran ok this morning and this after noon it ran rough again after sitting all day at work. The only thing running wise is I have added is the Hindle exhaust. Running 87oct might try Prem. to see if it change any thing.

NancysToy
08-15-2008, 10:07 PM
I have a Stratoliner, and this runs like a piece of crap compared to the Strat.
The thing ran ok this morning and this after noon it ran rough again after sitting all day at work. The only thing running wise is I have added is the Hindle exhaust. Running 87oct might try Prem. to see if it change any thing.
Did you have it sitting in the sun? When mine was in the sun, with the sun shining through the vent onto the temp sensor, the temp went whacko, and the Spyder ran like crap. Took 20 minutes of highway speeds to cool the sensor and get it to run right.
-Scotty

Smylinacha
08-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Mine runs much better w/ Premium in it. I have no idea why but HDX put premium in it when he was out riding it and I've been doing it ever since.

It used to "hiccup" when I'd first get going somewhere. Now I start it, let it warm up for a minute while I have a cigarette and by the time I'm done, it's good to go and not one hiccup at all. It used to hiccup when I'd first get going or when I was in 3rd gear it would sometimes "cough".

All good now.

bjt
08-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Mine runs much better w/ Premium in it. I have no idea why but HDX put premium in it when he was out riding it and I've been doing it ever since.

It used to "hiccup" when I'd first get going somewhere. Now I start it, let it warm up for a minute while I have a cigarette and by the time I'm done, it's good to go and not one hiccup at all. It used to hiccup when I'd first get going or when I was in 3rd gear it would sometimes "cough".

All good now.

That coughing must be from all the second - hand smoke its been getting. ;) :D :D