PDA

View Full Version : Is it the end for E15 ?

Jeriatric
03-02-2014, 01:44 PM
For some time now controversy has been raging about the effects of E15 in fuel with some motorcyclists claiming their bikes’ engines have been damaged due to the additive.

However, the American Motorcyclist Association has welcomed news the President has signed into law a provision to stop the future distribution of E15 fuels across the U.S.

The 2014 Agricultural Act, which will run until 2018, prohibits the use of grant money by the Rural Energy for America Program (REAP) to purchase and install ethanol blender pumps to dispense E15 at retail gas stations.

Bob Denman
03-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Good; no :shocked:... GREAT news! :yes:

Larry rt
03-02-2014, 02:01 PM
I bet there is a loop hole , somewhere !!!

NancysToy
03-02-2014, 02:02 PM
It is good news, but it is not the end of E15. Keep a watch out for alternate legislation that may ressurect or even reinforce this idiotic program. There are several things milling about both Washington and various states.

rcturner
03-02-2014, 02:31 PM
The simplest way to get rid of it when and if it happens is to not buy it. It may cost us a bit more for the short hall but, it will disappear if nobody buys it.

spydaman60
03-02-2014, 02:38 PM
It is good news, but it is not the end of E15. Keep a watch out for alternate legislation that may ressurect or even reinforce this idiotic program. There are several things milling about both Washington and various states.:agree: my thoughts exactly!!!

BajaRon
03-02-2014, 02:43 PM
The simplest way to get rid of it when and if it happens is to not buy it. It may cost us a bit more for the short hall but, it will disappear if nobody buys it.

The shame is, you're already paying more for ethanol than for non-ethanol fuel in the way of taxes and subsidies. They work very hard to hide what it is actually costing and it varies somewhat. But reports I've seen say it has averaged about $0.45 per gallon of ethanol fuel going in the back door.

Here in east Tennessee we are paying about $3.15 per gallon right now. But Uncle Sam is taking another $0.45 a gallon out of our pockets on top of that so the real price is $3.60 per gallon, it's just that you don't see it.

stewartj239
03-02-2014, 02:44 PM
E10 is what they sell around here and the ethanol ruined the carb on my commercial lawn mower. Luckily, I have a few ethanol free gas stations around here and that is all I run in everything I own - cars, MX bikes, Spyder, lawn movers, snowblower, weed eater, etc. By running ethanol free gas in the cars, the MPG has increased by almost 2 MPG. They down play the reduction in fuel economy by using E10, E15 and E85.

SporterSpider
03-02-2014, 04:10 PM
There is a couple of gas stations in my area now that have E 85. I had heard that that it is good for cleaning injectors, o rings, seals and, gaskets etc.:yikes: It is cheaper than regular gas. When I had my Harley the sales person told me to never put any E 15 in the tank.

stewartj239
03-02-2014, 04:17 PM
There is a couple of gas stations in my area now that have E 85. I had heard that that it is good for cleaning injectors, o rings, seals and, gaskets etc.:yikes: It is cheaper than regular gas. When I had my Harley the sales person told me to never put any E 15 in the tank.

It is cheaper, but they fail to point out that you'll need a lot more of it to go the same distance as pure gas. There is a lot of information online about this. I have read that it takes more energy to produce than what it gives in return. Not just that but it is a multi-billion dollar subsidy that makes it happen. If ethanol fuel made any business sense, then the government wouldn't be the only one doing it. I guess that explains why nobody else is doing it :)

Guzzi
03-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Never, ever use any E85 in your Spyder or any other engine not designated for E85 use!!! E85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline!! Want to kill your fuel system quickly, try some E85.

MouthPiece
03-02-2014, 04:41 PM
There is a God.

Chris

Dan_Ashley
03-02-2014, 05:27 PM
There is a God.

Chris
...and he rydes a Spyder

Bob Denman
03-02-2014, 06:10 PM
How did we get from Ethanol, to God?? :shocked:
I must have nodded-off, during the prayer service. :D

ARtraveler
03-02-2014, 06:17 PM

That's just the way it goes sometimes. :roflblack:

I wont fire up the God subject, and as far as I know, no ethanol in AK. :dontknow:

bruiser
03-02-2014, 08:04 PM
E15 is not good for ANY fuel system. Manufacturers warranties will not cover any damage to fuel systems from E15.

4.648 billion bushels of corn went to ethanol production last year. Approximately 1.550 billion bushels was returned to the feed market as distillers grain and gluten.
There was an estimated 12.899 billion gallons of ethanol produced in 2013.
Ethanol is both exported and imported in US. 2013 exports were 567 million gallons, imports were 558 million gallons.

MidTNDawg
03-02-2014, 08:19 PM
E10 is what they sell around here and the ethanol ruined the carb on my commercial lawn mower. Luckily, I have a few ethanol free gas stations around here and that is all I run in everything I own - cars, MX bikes, Spyder, lawn movers, snowblower, weed eater, etc. By running ethanol free gas in the cars, the MPG has increased by almost 2 MPG. They down play the reduction in fuel economy by using E10, E15 and E85.

I run ethanol free in everything I have except our diesel F 350. The mpg improvement has been a little better than 10% in everything. In other words, our government trying to force us to use ethanol causes us to use more gasoline than we would use if we ran "pure" gasoline. At least, that is true for me.

OJ UK
03-02-2014, 08:42 PM
Here in the UK we pay almost $11 a gallon for gas!! :yikes:

Our gallons are a little larger than a US gallon but we pay through the nose!! :banghead:

rev.rr
03-02-2014, 11:06 PM

we prayed while you were out for more rest and energy for you!
I believe it worked ;)

DR Buck
03-02-2014, 11:16 PM
They need to stop all ethanol production. Taxpayer dollars are paying for the production because it is not profitable any other way. Ethanol is also the biggest destroyer of small engines, costing businesses billions of dollars.

dndfindley
03-02-2014, 11:17 PM
Ethanol was a bad idea from the very beginning. All ethanol production should be terminated. Not only does it cost more than gasoline but it takes more ethanol than gas to produce the same power. And finally if that were not bad enough ethanol production robs the country of land that would normally be used for food production - both human and animal (think cattle). It has already caused prices to go up at the supermarket.

Dan_Ashley
03-02-2014, 11:21 PM
Ethanol reduces mpg. Ethanol reduces available food supplies. Ethanol reduces engine life.

But, fear not, the government is here to help you.

bruiser
03-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Here in the UK we pay almost $11 a gallon for gas!! :yikes:

Our gallons are a little larger than a US gallon but we pay through the nose!! :banghead:

Your pints are larger too :yes:

Bob Denman
03-03-2014, 10:23 AM
I'll drink to that! :cheers:

MouthPiece
03-03-2014, 11:32 AM
Ethanol reduces mpg. Ethanol reduces available food supplies. Ethanol reduces engine life.

And ethanol contributes to more global warming when land is plowed to plant corn.

​Chris

OJ UK
03-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Your pints are larger too :yes:

To be entirely pedantic: US pint = 473ml and the Imperial pint = 568ml.
Consequently as there are still 8 pints in 1 gallon the Imp gal. is 1.2 times larger than the US gal.
Now ya know! :D
Eleven dollars a gallon is still a lot of money when it used to be two gallons for a dollar!

Jeriatric
03-03-2014, 11:42 AM

Yes they are. They even found me a new job once........went from firefighter, to being fired at.

But, they mean well:roflblack:

Dan McNally
03-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Ethanol, like the Affordable Care Act, came to us through lobbyists who stood to make lots of money if the laws were passed . . . and they bought sufficient members of Congress to get those laws passed nojoke. . . All it takes is to come up with a reasonable name for any bill, i.e., the "Save the Baby Unborn Whales Act"; put an executive summary on it - the only part of legislation members of Congress ever read, anymore, if they even do that much - that says something like: "Studies show that the American Public demand that only "green paint," manufactured using the ABC process be used on the hulls of any ships entering US ports, to save the baby whales. Other studies show that pregnant whales may lose their babies if exposed to high levels of mercury, cadmium, and dioxins, which may be contained in other hull paints."; patent a paint formula called "green paint" and copyright the name "ABC Process"; then buy a bunch of elected officials, who will place tax subsidies on the sales of "green paint"; push through the bill, and bam, you, too, can rape the taxpayers . . . :banghead:

Jeriatric
03-03-2014, 12:14 PM
Ethanol, like the Affordable Care Act, came to us through lobbyists who stood to make lots of money if the laws were passed . . . and they bought sufficient members of Congress to get those laws passed nojoke. . . All it takes is to come up with a reasonable name for any bill, i.e., the "Save the Baby Unborn Whales Act"; put an executive summary on it - the only part of legislation members of Congress ever read, anymore, if they even do that much - that says something like: "Studies show that the American Public demand that only "green paint," manufactured using the ABC process be used on the hulls of any ships entering US ports, to save the baby whales. Other studies show that pregnant whales may lose their babies if exposed to high levels of mercury, cadmium, and dioxins, which may be contained in other hull paints."; patent a paint formula called "green paint" and copyright the name "ABC Process"; then buy a bunch of elected officials, who will place tax subsidies on the sales of "green paint"; push through the bill, and bam, you, too, can rape the taxpayers . . . :banghead:

Perhaps T. Boone has some "Green Gas" lobiest working on such a thing as we speak. As the Oracle of Omaha pushes for rail shipment of oil sands from Canada, because of his billion dollar investment in rail roads a few years back. We get what the BIG BOYS give us. Sad but true.

jwulf74
03-03-2014, 12:19 PM
Ethanol is both exported and imported in US. 2013 exports were 567 million gallons, imports were 558 million gallons.[/QUOTE]

Government efficiency at its finest. Seems more efficient to only export close to the net difference...

3 Wheel Addict
03-03-2014, 06:23 PM
You should be in the boat business and fight that crap! E-10 has been the death of many outboard motors and the fuel systems in older inboard boats. A total nightmare!!

Dan_Ashley
03-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Why do we all keep voting for the people who create laws like this? Why?

otter28169
03-03-2014, 08:30 PM
I can comfortably get 150 miles to a tank of E10. Where as when I get the 91 octane ethanol free I can get at least 190 miles. Ethanol sucks.

Just sayin'............

BigLegMac
03-04-2014, 09:57 AM
When my 13 RTS was new about a month I stopped at a marathon station a few blocks from my house and gassed up from empty and drove it straight home. The next day after getting off work the bike would not start. The next day still would not start. The third day had bike towed to my dealer. Got bike back on friday and was told that I had E85 gas in my tank. They gave me a sample and I told them that I put premium in the tank and that station did not sell this gas. I still had my receipt and I caught up with owner and told him what happened and he gave me my money back the $22 for gas and the $150.00 bill from dealer for taking out the gas. Luckily because bike would not start I had not done any damage. I dont get gas at any more marathons if I can help it, especially the ones by me. The dealer filled up my tank when I picked up bike. Love this new dealer I have. Bought 2014 rts from them.

Elembytes
03-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Missouri Legislature just last week was working on a bill to allow E15 to be sold in Missouri and it appears no one is fighting it. Only 1 Republican Senator was trying to stop it.

Missouri was one of the first states to push for 10% Ethanol when all this started up a few years back.

Do NOT count on it being stopped--some states are still pushing for it and apparently have not learned yet that it's use, drops MPG's, eats away at boat engines and plastic fuel tanks, has caused grain prices for animal feed to skyrocket because farmers have been growing corn specifically for Ethanol production, it's definately has it's repercussions for sure. Guess people have not learned the old saying, "For every action there is always an opposite and equal reaction".

Ethanol is NOT the answer for America and we all should put our feet down and stop this non-sense.

jwulf74
03-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Only thing in our stable that gets anything with ethanol is the truck. It is designed for E85 but will only ever get the 10% stuff. Won't due premium due to cost. Otherwise the car requires premium and the Spyders always get it too. Now that most stations here have ethanol in everything but premium, even the lawnmower, snowblower and other small engine things get premium now.

soaring hawk
03-04-2014, 08:54 PM
What is the real cost?

it uses corn = higher food costs, higher meat costs, higher cereal costs

we we get less mpg

destroys equipment

wastes water

Where is our cheap gas prices?

My farmer friends have some benefit, but their input costs increased like land, chemicals,equipment ect

So taxpayers pay for the subsidy to keep the plants running

So $0.10 gallon savings costs a lot more

On a side note : if we can make synthetic oil how about synthetic gas at cheap price?

i'm off my soap box!!

:doorag:

Dan_Ashley
03-04-2014, 10:55 PM
?..if we can make synthetic oil how about synthetic gas at cheap price?
:doorag:
We can make refinable oil from coal, sewage sludge, algae, and even from natural gas...

Jeriatric
03-04-2014, 11:05 PM
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120820121046.htm

We can make refinable oil from coal, sewage sludge, algae, and even from natural gas...

Dan_Ashley
03-04-2014, 11:42 PM
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120820121046.htm
Some of this is real old technology. The Nazi's invented coal-to-oil, and it has been in continuous use in South Africa for decades. In 1995 I worked at as an executive at a water/sewage outfit. We researched turning sewage sludge into oil, but nixed the idea because it would not be profitable until gas got to $3.50 a gallon. We couldn't imagine that happening. Algae-to-oil technology is new though.

Why we are not pursuing this stuff is unknown to me.