PDA

View Full Version : My Story

Roy
03-02-2014, 11:14 AM
Hi Spyder Lovers
I've been reading over the posts on this site and I have learned a lot over the last several weeks so I have finally registered and this is my first post. Here is my Spyder story. Last year my wife and I went to Daytona for Bike Week. I've been curious about the Spyder since the first time that I saw one, so my wife and I signed up for a demo ride at the Can-Am tent. As soon as I was past the video's and the paperwork I was able to take my first Spyder test ride. Immediately I felt comfortable on it. I have rode motorcycles and ATV's for years and have spent several years racing ATV's. It seemed similar to riding an ATV to me. I have wanted to buy a new Honda Goldwing for years and now I was having second thoughts about a Goldwing. When the news came out about the new changes for the 2014 RTL's that was enough incentive for me to buy a Spyder. I was in the same boat as many of you. My brother and I each ordered one and then the waiting began. We went to the same dealer together and were able to get a good deal. We both got the 2014 RTL Pearl White Models with the matching RT 622 Trailers. We are looking forward to many miles of enjoyment on our new rides. I have a couple of questions for the experienced Spyder riders. I'm looking for suggestions on accessories.
1. Accessories that make the machine better. Looks, Safety and handling.
2. Accessories that make the ride more enjoyable for the rider.
3. Accessories that make the ride more enjoyable for the passenger.
I know that everyone does not like the same Farkles, but I'm open to all suggestions.
I have yet to pick up my new ride at the dealership. It is in and we are currently having what seems like the longest winter ever.

Can-Am Spyder 1
Honda Goldwing 0

Thanks for all those that support this website. This is a great tool for those of us new to the Spyders.

spyderbirds
03-02-2014, 11:22 AM
:welcome: and Congrats on the 2014.

Ill start off by recommending the additional rear brake light, be seen for safety, several vendors have versions of these now. I used the one from Tricled...

Motorcycledave
03-02-2014, 11:23 AM
BOY WHEN YOU JUMP IN YOU DON'T MESS AROUND !!!!
I must say you were much braver than I was, RT Trailer and all WOW...
I don't own an RT but have ridden several and it is hard to think of stuff
you could want to make it better, they are already great right off the showroom floor.
I know you will get bombarded with many people here who have added stuff to their
Spyders and give you the best info.
AGAIN Welcome and enjoy
Dave

Hi Spyder Lovers
I've been reading over the posts on this site and I have learned a lot over the last several weeks so I have finally registered and this is my first post. Here is my Spyder story. Last year my wife and I went to Daytona for Bike Week. I've been curious about the Spyder since the first time that I saw one, so my wife and I signed up for a demo ride at the Can-Am tent. As soon as I was past the video's and the paperwork I was able to take my first Spyder test ride. Immediately I felt comfortable on it. I have rode motorcycles and ATV's for years and have spent several years racing ATV's. It seemed similar to riding an ATV to me. I have wanted to buy a new Honda Goldwing for years and now I was having second thoughts about a Goldwing. When the news came out about the new changes for the 2014 RTL's that was enough incentive for me to buy a Spyder. I was in the same boat as many of you. My brother and I each ordered one and then the waiting began. We went to the same dealer together and were able to get a good deal. We both got the 2014 RTL Pearl White Models with the matching RT 622 Trailers. We are looking forward to many miles of enjoyment on our new rides. I have a couple of questions for the experienced Spyder riders. I'm looking for suggestions on accessories.
I know that everyone does not like the same Farkles, but I'm open to all suggestions.
I have yet to pick up my new ride at the dealership. It is in and we are currently having what seems like the longest winter ever.

Can-Am Spyder 1
Honda Goldwing 0

Thanks for all those that support this website. This is a great tool for those of us new to the Spyders.

SPYD1
03-02-2014, 11:40 AM
:welcome:

NancysToy
03-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Accessories are pretty much up to the individual owner. The 2014 RT is already pretty well equipped, so you might want to ride it a while before you decide on the mods you might like. High on my list would be the functional accessories...a travel cover, Custom Dynamics/ESI HMT and Mudflap Lights (or similar lights from TricLED), an auxiliary fuse block and Powerlet outlets if you use heated gear or other plug-ins, Spyderpops Bumpskid, BajRon's swaybar, and a wired or wireless intercom system to add to rider and passenger enjoyment. Your wishes may be totally different, however.

Purple Guy
03-02-2014, 11:55 AM
:welcome:
:congrats: on your new Spyder!

I would have to say the #1 addition for better handling would be BajaRon's Sway Bar.
I'm sure if there was a poll on this site that would be at the top of the list.

SpyderPops Bumpskid is also a good investment to protect the front of your Spyder.
I believe they now make them for the trailer as well.

You can't go wrong adding a set of Lamontster's NBV highway pegs...

samewok
03-02-2014, 12:08 PM
I would get swap bar and laser alinement for handling.

Don in E Texas
03-02-2014, 12:20 PM
I'd recommend not doing anything until you have some 'seat' time on your new bike. 2014's are brand new - many changes over past Spyders. Enjoy your new ride - listen to your Spouse - best source of input (meaning: if wife is happy; everyone is happy).

Maybe Spyderfest is in your near future? Great source of ideas for your new Spyder as well as a chance to meet other Spyder owners.

Now all we all need is some nice weather to ride. Was 80 degrees here in E Texas yesterday and a great day to ride. Today, well let's just say it is a bummer.

Don

Bob Denman
03-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Hi Roy! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_12_170.gif
First off.... :welcome: and :congrats: on having such great taste in recreational vehicles! :thumbup:
Here's to lots of miles and smiles for you guys! :cheers:
Accessories... (or if you prefer; Farkles)
Since you've purchased a Limited (:clap:), that'll take some of the opportunities out of your hands; they come very nicely equipped!
But there are still avenues to explore...
the handling...
A new Anti-SwayBar from BajaRon might make your bike more comfortable in the "twisties"
Likewise; Elka Shocks from "Trooper" can be a welcome addition...
the comfort...
If your bottom's not happy; you ain't happy!
Log some miles,and keep in mind that Utopia seats are just about the next-best thing to sliced-bread, and mother's milk combined!
Appearance...
Pete at www.powersportswraps.com (http://www.powersportswraps.com) can personalize your bike in AMAZING ways!

spyderyderjim
03-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Hi Spyder Lovers

Can-Am Spyder 1
Honda Goldwing 0

1. Buy a custom built Russell dual seat with back rest, in leather. (the stock seat foam rises up at rear causing pain on tailbone after even short 100 mile rides).
2. Add 3rd brake/tail light
3. Add Lamont's NBV highway Widow flat pegs
3. SpyderPop's bump skid
4. Cramp Buster throttle assist
5. Grip Puppies (black foam grips that slip over top of stock grips).
6. Elka stage 1+ shocks. I recommend buying from Len at Pitbull Powersports as he is really good at setting up Elka's spot on for your RT, 417-863-1418.
7. Adjustable side vents
8. Adjustable vent windshield from BRP
9. Your option: I disconnected both fuel gauge & water temp analog gauges; using the more accurate vertical yellow water temp bars in cluster & orange gas level right side.
(my analog temp gauge failed on my 2014 Spyder RT-S SE6 at 1800 miles). I replace fuel guage with a voltmeter; and a temporary smiley face for water temp.
Note: I have 2,100+ miles on 2014 Spyder RT-S SE6. It has an awesome 1330cc motor, strong torque off idle on up rpms, powerful, quiet, smooth shifting seamless SE6 trans, gas tank range 175+ miles, 32-37 mpg; I love it!!! I am sure you will too. BRP hit a home run with building this new 2014 RT!!!
Enjoy.
Jim

spydaman60
03-02-2014, 01:12 PM
congrats on your new ride to be!!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

Showie
03-02-2014, 01:16 PM
BIG GRATZ !! on new ride :yes:

PW2013STL
03-02-2014, 01:19 PM
Welcome Roy to the best site for all things :f_spider:

You purchased the same set up that I did, although mine has not arrived yet. As others have said get some miles on it and then decide what to add,change.
for me I added the heated comfort seat with backrest, adjustable handle bars, adjustable vents from BRP. Third brake light from Custom Dynamics. Powered outlets from Powerlet. Cargo net system for the trailer from BRP.
I want to get some miles on it before I decide on the Ronbar.

Congrats on buying the best color:yes::yes::yes:

ARtraveler
03-02-2014, 01:49 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on the new ryde.

I am also in the camp that recommends putting a few miles on the new :spyder2:'s before farkleing up to much. The trunk lights are a good accessory from the get go. Diifferent seats or other comfort items--I would wait a little on them. I would also wait on items to improve the handling on the :spyder2:. Some feel they are necessary from the start--others not.

Farkleing does make the :ani29: yours though. :thumbup:

Jester
03-02-2014, 04:22 PM
We are all going to meet somewhere on all of our white RTLs!:yes:
All the same yet all different. Had hoped to get mine next week but business intervenes. No tellin when I will get up to Len's place but it will be sitting there. Ya'll come riding down the Natchez Trace one day. I won't be too far away very long!

spyder-dude
03-02-2014, 04:30 PM
:welcome: :congrats:

For me it is comfort and lighting for mods. I bought my 2014 RTS January 31st which is my 4th spyder. I also will be attending Datyona Bike week for my 3rd time this year and looking forward to the warmer weather and 2000+ miles trip over the next week and half.

My mods.

Ultimate Seat with Backrest which I have over 750 miles on it and love it.

Custom Dynamics third brake light with Magic brake light strobe/flasher along with dual converter that turns it into a running light.

Tricled front fender amber/red LED's which also bought the turn signal conversion kit.

Lamonsters highway pegs are also a great add-on which I highly recommend.

There is some great vendors here on spyderlovers making the best mods/upgrades for spyders!

jthornton
03-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Welcome to the fun!

For me it was handling mods first, BajaRon sway bar, Pit Bull shock relocation kit, Elka Stage 1+. The ride was super after adding these and using my Dual Fill (http://gnipsel.com/spyderstore/index.php?route=product/category&path=25) to get the tire pressure between the front tires to factory specs of ± 0.25 psig. I found it impossible to try and use a tire gauge that had at the best ± 2.0 psig to get the tires even.

JT

Don in E Texas
03-02-2014, 06:02 PM
..forgot to mention Guardian Bells!! Need to give each other one for your new rides!!

http://www.guardianbell.com/bells.php

bodymanpainter
03-02-2014, 06:06 PM
:congrats: :welcome: You will love the new RT, it is a major improvement from the earlier RT's.
Pearl White is my favorite color also!
Enjoy and ride safe!
Toby

Highwayman2013
03-02-2014, 06:29 PM
Welcome, we have added the Bumpskid and sway bar first but we did that after a few thousand miles. Biggest improvement was a laser alignment from the ROLO/Outlaw guys. We use Sena bluetooth headsets to communicate while we are riding on one or separate bikes and to stream our own music from our smartphones. Next up I will be installing a belt stabilizer and adjustable wind deflectors. Give it some miles and you will know what bothers you and what doesn't. Enjoy Enjoy and think about SpyderQuest in September.:)

chuck gross
03-02-2014, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't add anything to start with as you have purchased an amazing fully loaded machine that you will love for miles and miles just be ready to answer lots of Questions everywhere you go as people are fascinated by the Spyder.
As you put more and more miles on it you will figure out what you need such as cup/beverage holders or suspension upgrades there seems to be tons of accessories available.

you are gonna have so much fun :yes::yes:

Tango
03-02-2014, 09:19 PM
:congrats::2thumbs:

Cruzr Joe
03-02-2014, 09:19 PM
I would rank the staples in this order

1 - Bumpskid from Spyderpops (protect the front end of your Spyder)

2 - Extra rear brake light ( i use Tricled's 3rd & 4th Brakelight/running light) Be seen better by vehicles behind you

3 - i ordered some cushion hand grips from Spyderpops, very inexpensive and keeps my hands from sweating or aching

4- NBV Highway pegs from Lamonster, allows you to stretch your legs to prevent cramping

5 - Bajarons sway bar to help keep you on the road properly

6 - Lazer Alignment to keep you going straight and not have to fight the steering controls

7 - a whole bunch of other stuff that fits your riding style or desires.

Cruzr Joe

GloryRyders
03-03-2014, 05:54 AM
:welcome: and :congrats: on your two new :spyder:'s...........you have already gotten plenty of suggestions for farkles but I would say that you make it to Spyderfest :firstplace: the end of April and check out all the vendors first hand to see what they offer, look at all the :spyder: that will be there and get some ideas what you want first hand!:yes: Hope you can make it to the party!:2thumbs:

scooterexpress
03-03-2014, 07:48 AM
:congrats: ..now that you're farkling the spyder with lots of nice accessories don't forget the misses checkout our great line of spyder jewelry she will love wearing while riding.

finless
03-03-2014, 11:33 AM
For my farkling I went with safety adds first:
DIY mirror turn signal lights.
DIY top trunk break light.
These were a minimum needed add in my opinion.

Later I then added the Sena SM10 Bluetooth setup for radio and passenger communications. Again I did it DIY.

Then I added an old iPod to the stock trunk MP3 connector. This works GREAT as your play lists etc show up on the dash and you can fully control it.

I am 6'4" so I got the BRP comfort seat which moved me 2" back in the saddle. Made a world of difference for me for riding comfort. After that I got the Utopia driver backrest.

I then went with the Baja Ron sway bar. I did not really need it I thought. I road for 5 months before deciding I had the cash to add it. Now that I added it, it is worth every penny!

Then I added the side rear and front fender riding / turn lights from Show Chrome. These replace the existing reflectors. I got them at a great price from a sponsor here Value Accessories. Your 14 will be different for the front fender lights. The rear side saddle bag side lights will be the same on your 14. I prefer the Show Chrome stuff as they are DOT certified unlike the tricled stuff.

Then I added the Show Chrome 3rd and 4th break/riding lights. Again Value Accessories.

Oh and a guardian bell supplied by a Spyder Lover as a gift! :)

I also added an alarm system with a "body" sensor. Too many times I walked out of some place to see people sitting on it :( This was a $100 alarm, easy to install, and works well.

I now have the belt idler add-on in hand and just need to install it. I will also do a video on that.

If you want to see videos of all of the above, I have posted installation videos of these in the DIY forum.

Bob

OJ UK
03-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Welcome Roy! :congrats:
You've had the word from the master farkling king, Bob Denman!! :bowdown: :firstplace:
However I think I'd get used to the standard Spyder before I changed anything.
Pay attention to any niggles that you could live without and see if they can be improved.

I have a white 2010 RS-S so I can't really recommend anything from experience as the 2014
is an almost entirely different machine.....I might consider a BajaRon swaybar though.

White's a cool colour too! Probably a little faster than those cognac machines!! :roflblack:

03hdjill
03-03-2014, 03:25 PM
Congratulations on your new Spyder. I am sure you will love it!