PDA

View Full Version : Request for observations re. heat isssues

rgscms
03-01-2014, 08:40 PM
Wife is contemplating buying a 2014 RT so she doesn't have to keep looking at the back of my helmet when riding two up on our 2012 RTL. She does have a concern about the 'hot right foot' issue on previous model years and especially on the 2013s.
So we are asking for observations from owners of 2014 RTs as to how well the new tunnel design and positioning of the twin radiators has reduced or eliminated the extreme heat that some owners have experienced.
Of course it would be great to hear from those who have had both the heat issue on previous model years and now have a 2014 RT.
Thanks in advance for your responses.

bodymanpainter
03-01-2014, 09:23 PM
The 14 is my first but I have no heat issues on the feet at all

I had a 2010 RTS and now have the 2014 RTS and no heat issues at all, major difference between the two!
They are great bikes!

Blue Star
03-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Wife is contemplating buying a 2014 RT so she doesn't have to keep looking at the back of my helmet when riding two up on our 2012 RTL. She does have a concern about the 'hot right foot' issue on previous model years and especially on the 2013s.
So we are asking for observations from owners of 2014 RTs as to how well the new tunnel design and positioning of the twin radiators has reduced or eliminated the extreme heat that some owners have experienced.
Of course it would be great to hear from those who have had both the heat issue on previous model years and now have a 2014 RT.

I had a 2010 RS, and while the heat was not unbearable; it was there. One time while stuck in stop and go traffic due to an accident my right foot got really hot in my boot. When I got home my big toe nail was grey from being cooked. Mind you, this was the first, and last time my right foot got that hot on the RS. I Took off the bottom shields to allow more ventilation for the bike, and might have been the fix.

Next I had a 2012 RT, one of my first mods was to install a SpyderPops heat shield, and never had a heat issue when the summer came.

I am currentyl testing a 2014 RT, and several times have ridden in 80+ degrees (highest being 94), and have to honestly say that my head in my full face helmet got hotter than my right (or left) foot. Not saying that I did not notice the heat, but not anymore than the jacket I was wearing at the time.

SDM
03-02-2014, 01:07 AM
I just finished a 6 week demo of a 2014 RT. I noticed no heat issues at all - would have almost welcomed heat, it was pretty cool and downright cold when we (hubby ( Tobor 9) and I) were testing! The fans reversed only once in the 6 weeks and that was when I was in drive thru waiting on my mud of life (a.k.a. coffee!!). :clap:

spyderyderjim
03-02-2014, 01:11 AM

My 2014 Spyder RT-S SE6 Update: March 1st
, First month:
With 2100+ miles, awesome torque, motor broke in, runs strong, quiet, smooth power, a real pleasure to ryde!!!
Gas mileage 32-37 mpg; 175+ miles per tank. No heat problems!!

Awesome motor-quiet, smooth, powerful torque from idle on up rpms; motor sweet spot 2500-4000 rpm; 5,000-6,500 rpm very powerful; 3900 rpm is 75 mph!!!
Awesome SE6 trans smooth shifting, seamless!!!
Very good stock suspension-shock springs stiffer/firm dampening; (a 30 mph posted corner taken at 65 mph-no nanny
!!
Very stable on freeway-feels planted, no moving around passing trucks.

(Note: this 2014 Pearl White RT-S SE6 ryde was in comparison of 32,000 miles on 2011 RT-S SE5 & 2013 RT-S SE5 with Elka shocks)!
So, what are you waiting for?
Run-don't walk to buy 2014 Spyder RT-S/L SE6 or SM6; they are that big of improvement over previous RT's
(Len at Pitbull Powersport is waiting your call for order)!!!!
I can see how Doc in Florida has 6000 miles + already, you just don't want to get off!!!!
We can all thank Lamont, Fred and others for their honest accurate input to BRP to build the 2014 RT in-line Triple 1330 awesome motor-SE6 trans, longer fuel range!!!!
Thanks BRP company-you have built a winner
in my humble opinion!!!!
Note: I solved all the heat problems of my 2013 Spyder RT-S SE5!!! But traded it in on 2014 RT-S SE6; the new 2014 RT is so much better.
(PM me if you need photo showing how I added an extenstion out right side fan area moving heat from radiator out farther away from right foot on my 2013 RT-S).
You can see from above photo the 2014 RT exhaust pipe is underneath Spyder now, so no heat problems.
Hope this helps everyone with my hands on info in first month.
Enjoy your rydes.
Jim

chuck gross
03-02-2014, 02:09 AM
Im'e convinced Can Am has built one nice machine. :bowdown:

I may have to take the hit and trade in my 2013 STL. :banghead: This could be painful at first but might just be worth the money

cuznjohn
03-02-2014, 05:20 AM
my bike has a very bad heat problem, MY FEELINGS, so i have been trying not to post on this subject. but if i was you and i could afford to buy a 14 than that would be the way i would go. JMO

Bob Denman
03-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Over the past several years; we've had COUNTLESS polls and even more "Gripe Sessions" about the design of the Spyders in here :shocked:...
For 2014; it's as if BRP took the list of complaints, and addressed EVERY issue contained! :clap: :2thumbs:nojoke
Your Wife can buy a 2014 with assurances that the "Hot Right Foot" issue, is gone!

bodymanpainter
03-02-2014, 10:09 AM
Over the past several years; we've had COUNTLESS polls and even more "Gripe Sessions" about the design of the Spyders in here :shocked:...
For 2014; it's as if BRP took the list of complaints, and addressed EVERY issue contained! :clap: :2thumbs:nojoke
Your Wife can buy a 2014 with assurances that the "Hot Right Foot" issue, is gone!

:agree: We are completely satisfied with our 2014 RTS, now the only problem I have is I don't get to ride it as much as I want to,
the wife takes it away from me!
Maybe next year I will trade my VTX 1800N for a new Spyder!
Toby

Oklahoma Spyder
03-02-2014, 02:17 PM

I had a 08 RSI and a 2011 and 2013 Rt and now have the 2014. I fixed the 13 from blowing on my foot but it was still so hot in other areas. On the 2014 they blocked off the bottom hole on each side to keep feet cool and the radiator and exhaust placement has solved the other heat problems totally.

rgscms
03-02-2014, 03:23 PM
The Spyderlovers community strikes again: ask a question and get multiple on-point detailed responses!
Net result: there will likely be a 2014 RTS Se6 in yellow sharing space in our garage with our 2012 RTL. That is for when we are not out on the road.
Thanks for all your input.
Bob and Chris

Bob Denman
03-02-2014, 06:15 PM
:shocked: So; are you blaming us, for the purchase?? :D:roflblack: :2thumbs:

ARtraveler
03-02-2014, 06:28 PM
:congrats: on your pending purchase. Another vote for yellow. :thumbup:

lookerjdc
03-02-2014, 06:32 PM
I could cook a meal on my right foot when I had my 2012 RTS

now with the 2014, I find myself missing the heat coming up from the glovebox or on my foot on those cold, brisk mornings, but trust me..... I can live without it

they completely fixed those problems

Ronbo
03-02-2014, 10:34 PM

Had 2013 RT. Noticed warm/hot right foot during hot weather. Didn't keep me from loving bike. I traded it for 2014. I can't feel ANY heat (anywhere). Warmest temp I've ridden in is 65 to 70 degrees. The bike is an awesome touring machine. Got 1100 miles on it.

Ron

Ronbo
03-07-2014, 11:35 PM
Im'e convinced Can Am has built one nice machine. :bowdown:

I may have to take the hit and trade in my 2013 STL. :banghead: This could be painful at first but might just be worth the money

I did-traded my2013 RT for 2014.....ABSOLUTELY worth IT ,!

Ron

lookerjdc
03-09-2014, 04:53 PM
there is no denying the 2014 is a thing of beauty.......