PDA

View Full Version : Bump skid scratches?

Dat Guy
02-27-2014, 10:47 PM
I have some scratches on the Spyderpops bump skid. Not on the bottom, but on the top where the dealership scratched it up a bit by trying to put it back on upside down. I didn't notice until several days later so I can't really expect them to do anything about it. Anyway, it's deep enough to catch your fingernail when you drag it across it. Given the nature of the material used, is there any good way to removed the scratches?

Cruzr Joe
02-27-2014, 11:19 PM
PM harvey(spyderpops). He would know better than anyone

cruzr joe

SteveMac
02-27-2014, 11:27 PM
Perhaps a scuffing with sandpaper, finishing with fine grit. Then a very quick swipe with a lint free towel wet with acetone to restore the shine.

Works on Golf club ferrules to restore...

reggystan
02-28-2014, 12:51 AM
I've always wrapped mine in carbon fiber, gives it a nice finish and hides all your scratches. But you can wrap it with just about any decal sheet and it doesn't take that much material since your only seeing part of the outer edge. Good luck!

I have some scratches on the Spyderpops bump skid. Not on the bottom, but on the top where the dealership scratched it up a bit by trying to put it back on upside down. I didn't notice until several days later so I can't really expect them to do anything about it. Anyway, it's deep enough to catch your fingernail when you drag it across it. Given the nature of the material used, is there any good way to removed the scratches?

Bob Denman
02-28-2014, 07:59 AM
Perhaps a scuffing with sandpaper, finishing with fine grit. Then a very quick swipe with a lint free towel wet with acetone to restore the shine.

Works on Golf club ferrules to restore...
I think that Steve's got the right idea... :thumbup:
It'll take you some time and elbow grease; but the results will be yours for the bragging! :D

3 Wheel Addict
02-28-2014, 08:14 AM
Why did your dealer have it off? Don't tell me it was for the 2013-9 recall, I told my dealer what 2 screws needed to be removed to get the frunk off. The whole skid plate does not need to be removed for that.

viperryder
02-28-2014, 09:06 AM
UHMW is a plastic that can be fixed, but it will still leave fine scratches no matter what you do. The only way I know of is to sand down the whole area and then fine sand the area again. Again this will leave the scratch makes form the fine sandpaper. Maybe trying to turn the things over maybe the best idea. Hope this helps.:thumbup:

NancysToy
02-28-2014, 02:20 PM
I'd learn to live with it. Each one is a badge of honor...a testimony that the bump skid does what it is supposed to do.

donec
02-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Sand it down and then coat it with pickup bed sealer.

Cruzr Joe
02-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Paint it pink and proudly show it off. :roflblack::roflblack:

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
02-28-2014, 03:26 PM
What's the name of that stuff that they mrket for polishing scratches out of windshields? :dontknow:
That would certainly take it down to a fine-enough finish! :thumbup:

bluestratos
02-28-2014, 03:45 PM
UHMW resists coatings like bed liner. I found that I can get limited success gluing it together by cleaning with acetone then running a torch over the surface, not to heat it but to restructure the surface molecules. That being said, it may also work to allow a good primer to have some adhesion. I read a lot about it recently, FYI. I used it to make a cup holder bracket that clamps around my handle bars recently and I had to clean up the cut marks left by the band saw. It does not sand easily either, I started with my belt sander than progressed back to hand sanding with fine sand paper. You can power polish it further but make sure you go slow, UHMW will soften and then it sort of smears. It will be a labor of love but it will polish back to a factory finish with time.

Cruzr Joe
02-28-2014, 05:02 PM
nobody but you will notice it, and if you need to, buy a new one, you already have all the holes set up. But i bet you already knew that.

cruzr joe

Dan McNally
02-28-2014, 05:18 PM
:hun:? ? Wasn't it made to get scratched and beat up, rather that letting that happen to the tupperware? :dontknow:

SNOOPY
02-28-2014, 05:27 PM
I wonder if someone here works on plastics? :popcorn:

Bob Denman
02-28-2014, 05:38 PM
:hun:? ? Wasn't it made to get scratched and beat up, rather that letting that happen to the tupperware? :dontknow:

He mentioned that it took a few dings up on the top, while being mis-handled by the dealer... :shocked: