PDA

View Full Version : Route info, Rt 2 from Duluth east

Stuart49
08-14-2008, 11:31 AM
I am riding my Spyder from Pittsburgh to New Prague, MN next week for a meeting, then north to Duluth for the Aerostich Very Boring Rally. For the return route I am considering Rt 2 east across the top of WI and MI to the Mackinac Bridge, connecting to I75, then south to Toldeo, etc.

I'd like info about this Rt 2 and the bridge - any glitches, certain times to cross the bridge, etc. I will likely depart Duluth Saturday afternoon, try to make some good distance before stopping for the night. Expect to ride the balance of the 1000 miles home on Sunday.

Appreciate any comments. Thanks,

Stuart Spyder#445
Iron Butt Assoc #11000

dltang
08-14-2008, 11:58 AM
I am riding my Spyder from Pittsburgh to New Prague, MN next week for a meeting, then north to Duluth for the Aerostich Very Boring Rally. For the return route I am considering Rt 2 east across the top of WI and MI to the Mackinac Bridge, connecting to I75, then south to Toldeo, etc.

I'd like info about this Rt 2 and the bridge - any glitches, certain times to cross the bridge, etc. I will likely depart Duluth Saturday afternoon, try to make some good distance before stopping for the night. Expect to ride the balance of the 1000 miles home on Sunday.

Stuart Spyder#445
Iron Butt Assoc #11000

Stuart, I don't think you will be disappointed with route 2. We were in the UP the first weekend in August and part of our ride was on 2. As a matter of fact there is a small 5 mile detour not too far west of St. Ignace that is the nicest detour I have ever been on. It is curvy and lined with trees and is brand new paved road. It was great fun on the spyder. As for crossing the Mighty Mac, if it is wet try to stay on the paved side of the bridge. The outside lane is paved and the inside lane is metal grooved. One lane (the paved one) was closed going southbound and it was raining. The spyder felt like rolling on marbles riding on the wet grooves. It wasn't too scary but a bit unnerving. I can't help you with construction zones on I-75 south as we stayed on side roads for this trip. If I hear anything I will let you know. Have a safe trip and a really good time.

bjt
08-14-2008, 03:13 PM

Stuart Spyder#445
Iron Butt Assoc #11000

If you have any time for a scenic ride on your way back home, I would recommend heading over to M119, The Tunnel of Trees, southwest of Mackinaw City. I think it would add about 2 hours max to your ride home but this has to be one of the nicest scenic roads in Michigan and definate fun on a bike or Spyder. This is a Goldwing rider's blog about his trip to M119 (http://sidmostuff.blogspot.com/2005/08/michigans-tunnel-of-trees-rte-119.html). Just hit the Cross Village to Harbor Springs portion of the ride as it is the best part of it. Continuing south to Petosky has a lot more traffic and takes you farther out of your way.

This link shows a map route of the ride circling back up to Mackinaw City. (http://www.motowhere.com/maps/route/Tunnel-of-Trees-to-Cheboygan-back) Once you left Harbor Springs and hit I75 again, you could just jump on it and continue on home. When we did our U.P. trip, we hit both routes and the Cross Village to Harbor Springs ride was by far the best and most fun of all the scenic rides.

MSGTDOC
08-14-2008, 03:16 PM

Stuart Spyder#445
Iron Butt Assoc #11000

GOOD LUCK ON THE TRIP AND DRIVE SAFE