PDA

View Full Version : I want one SO BAD, but ...

brightsoftstrong
08-13-2008, 05:10 PM
I've run into a few issues with getting a Spyder. I'm considering getting rid of my newer Toyota Corolla and riding a Spyder full time (that's how much I want to ride one of these things!), but here's what's been stopping me:
1. The nonrefundable deposit. There are just too many "what ifs" tied to this one. And if the Spyder is so in demand, why the nonrefundable deposit? If someone decides they don't want it upon delivery, selling it off the showroom should be no problem.
2. The lack of a definite delivery date if I do plop down the $1,000. I've read stories on this board from people who waited a year for one!
3. The lack of available test rides. Is this specifically a West Coast problem? I need to experience a ride before I buy, especially if the Spyder is going to be my main source of transportation!
4. The two sales reps I've dealt with in California and Arizona both completely turned me off with their lousy attitudes and surprising lack of knowledge about the product. One of them even claimed the Spyder will get 50 mpg; long way off the 25 mpg a lot of people are actually getting.
5. The cost. After taxes, delivery and set-up fees, I'm looking at $20,000.
6. The factory warranty: It's only 2 years.
7. I'm not seeing any Spyders on the road! I drive regularly between SoCalifornia and Phoenix, and I've seen ONE Spyder since January 2008.
- - -
Are there any plans to start mass-producing the Spyder in the future so there can be available models in the showroom? I hate to think about how many "impulse buys" have been lost because of the lack of ready-to-go inventory.
Sorry to sound so negative, but I'm extremely frustrated and getting closer every day to just buying a new trike.

sleepman
08-13-2008, 06:52 PM
When I first started looking at the beginning of this year the only way I could get a test ride was at a demo days, now I can walk into my dealer and take one out.

You're not going to get 50 mpg, best I get is 35 mpg. But the fun factor makes up for it.

Can't say anything about waiting lists, I bought mine off the floor and rode it home the same day.

AMTJIM
08-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Check the Can-Am/BRP website for dealer locations in your area...many locations have them sitting on the floor...getting really bored...wanting a new home...sniff sniff...tired of all the strange people wanting to sit but not commit sniff tear sniff....it's horrible

bjt
08-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Like sleepman and AMTJIM said, many dealers have them sitting on the showroom floor now. I would think that somewhere along your route, you would be near a dealer who has at least one in stock. I think the days of the deposit and long wait mostly died down in the past month or two. The latest reports on the forums have the wait time at about three weeks if the dealer has to order you a Spyder. Maybe there is a SpyderLovers member who lives near you or near your SoCalifornia to Phoenix route who could meet you for a looksee if you can't find any dealers with a Spyder.

Zerocool
08-13-2008, 08:18 PM
I plopped down $1000 sight-unseen and waited a year to get it; took delivery April 9, 2008... and, had to buy through a Massachusetts dealer - I live in CT - because only 11 U.S. States were authorized to sell them the first year.

Mine is Premier Edition #2475. There are now over 4000 worldwide.

Today, there are 5 dealerships in CT who sell and service the Spyder. So, I'm not interested in how many I see on the road, as I am about having a certified technician to keep me running :-D

My point is, looking from where I started last year, the Spyder market is growing at a very healthy rate... and you can't line your coffin with the $1000.

I'm glad I purchased mine. I'm living large.

My 2 cents.

mrfilovirus
08-14-2008, 10:46 AM
I've run into a few issues with getting a Spyder. I'm considering getting rid of my newer Toyota Corolla and riding a Spyder full time (that's how much I want to ride one of these things!), but here's what's been stopping me:
1. The nonrefundable deposit. There are just too many "what ifs" tied to this one. And if the Spyder is so in demand, why the nonrefundable deposit? If someone decides they don't want it upon delivery, selling it off the showroom should be no problem.
2. The lack of a definite delivery date if I do plop down the $1,000. I've read stories on this board from people who waited a year for one!
3. The lack of available test rides. Is this specifically a West Coast problem? I need to experience a ride before I buy, especially if the Spyder is going to be my main source of transportation!
4. The two sales reps I've dealt with in California and Arizona both completely turned me off with their lousy attitudes and surprising lack of knowledge about the product. One of them even claimed the Spyder will get 50 mpg; long way off the 25 mpg a lot of people are actually getting.
7. I'm not seeing any Spyders on the road! I drive regularly between SoCalifornia and Phoenix, and I've seen ONE Spyder since January 2008.
- - -
Are there any plans to start mass-producing the Spyder in the future so there can be available models in the showroom? I hate to think about how many "impulse buys" have been lost because of the lack of ready-to-go inventory.
Sorry to sound so negative, but I'm extremely frustrated and getting closer every day to just buying a new trike.

I'll see if I can hit each of your points:

1. The deposit is so that the dealership and Can-AM do not have a lot of inventory out there hurting their bottom line. This is the first year for the Spyder so they weren't sure how many they would sell. The reality is, that the non-refundable part is up to the dealership - I actually haven't heard a story where they kept the deposit money. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I have heard plenty of stories where the deposit money came back because they sold the spyder the next day and the dealership wasn't out anything.

2. This does suck. The delivery time seems to be getting quicker now depending on the color/model you get. If you want a silver SM5, I bet you can find one right now. Just as a heads up, I ordered a silver SE5 in May and got it in early August. A lot depends on where you buy from (which state).

3. Look for a BRP event or swing by a dealership that has one. Because of your route, take a detour to Vegas. Both the dealerships here have demo models (and there is a BRP event in Reno next month you can sign up for if you want).

4. A good dealer is the key. If you decide you want to buy in Vegas, I have a good referral for you (and last week they had a SM5 sitting on the floor to be bought where someone had backed out - and they gave him a refund).

5. Yep. Nothing more I can say about that one.

6. I bought the B.E.S.T. extendend warranty that brings the warranty up to a total of 5 years (plus roadside assistance) for an additional $850.

7. Be glad. This bike gains LOTS of attention - sometimes thats part of the fun (and sometimes it is annoying). Not being like every other generic harley or ninja on the road is a good thing. :2thumbs:

beemerboy
08-18-2008, 08:01 PM
1stAbout the deposit, It is stated on your order sheet that a full refund will be granted with a writen request, how ever when I ordered my yellow one and my wife ordered her red one we asked the dealer (in case of emergency, could we get our deposit back)and was told he would return or deposit once our bike was sold. Talk to them.
2nd, don't order red! you should be able to get silver the quikest and save $400.00.
3rd, I truly enjoy my SRYDER. But after 1300 miles I would not give up a car or my BMW K1200LT touring machine. The Spyder doesn't give much protection from the elements unless you have $$$ to spend.
4th, The SPYDER (to me) makes a great around town/day trip machine.

bjt
08-18-2008, 09:12 PM
3rd, I truly enjoy my SPYDER. But after 1300 miles I would not give up a car or my BMW K1200LT touring machine. The Spyder doesn't give much protection from the elements unless you have $$$ to spend.

Everyone has their own preference. I have ridden my Spyder exclusively since I picked it up in March. I can count on one hand how many times I took a car somewhere and left the Spyder at home and those times involved getting dressed up to go out (once) and having to buy or haul something larger than what the Spyder could carry (three times). With my GIVI bags , the trunk and a rear seat bag, I can get my Sunday grocery shopping done, no problem. The weather here in Michigan has been tremendous this year so I haven't had any bad storms come through that might have detoured me from riding the Spyder. I have ridden it knowing that I was going to be caught in the rain at some point in the day and its been no problem.

IdleUp
08-20-2008, 07:19 AM
- - -

Regarding the deposit and wait - why not look at a few that are listed on this forum one only has 500 miles on it and you save thousands

Regarding the techs - don't worry, 80% of the dealers for any bike are nothing but idiots - you're on you own regardless of what you buy.

Regarding the cost forget it - The spyder is the most cost effective trike on the road. A Goldwing trike will run you 30-40K so 18-20 is a bargain!

Warranty is good, some bikes only offer 1 year - in most cases, you'll end up with another bike in two years so that's plenty of time to get the bugs out and decide if you're going to keep it.

The fact you only see a few other Spyders is great - it makes yours just that much more special!

jwfranklin
08-20-2008, 10:00 AM
I talked to 3 different dealers, all within 20 miles of me, only one told me the deposit was non refundable. all had demo's for test rides. was told by all 3 that BRP would not let them order one for stock except there demo. They had to have a name the bike was sold to, to be a valid order. The only way they could have one on the floor. was if someone backed out. The dealer I ordered from told me if something happened and I couldn't go thru with the purchase he would refund the money, and he would have one on the floor to sale. He was also over $200 cheaper than the other 2, my red SM5 with 6% tax and all fees was less than $17,400. I was there when he entered the order on his computer. And it came back expected delivery second week of September.
I know some one posted here the red's were $400 extra all 3 dealers told me the yellow's were $400 extra.

Wayne

BRPjunkie
08-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Some dealers are using employees names and putting up $1,000 deposit to get "floor models" to sell. Both yellow and red are $400 extra.

BAZMAN
08-20-2008, 12:11 PM
MY DEALER IN DENVER TOLD ME I WOULD GET MY DEPOSIT BACK WHEN THEY SOLD MY SPYDER IF I DID NOT BUY IT. I PURCHASED MY SPYDER AND LOVE IT. LOOK FOR ANOTHER DEALER. SOME OF THESE DEALERS FIGURE THAT IF THE DEAL FALLS THROUGH, THEY CAN POCKET THE MONEY FOR DOING NOTHING, BECAUSE THEY WILL SELL THE SPYDER ANYWAY.

SSL4X4
08-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Just a side comment that is somewhat relevent. I was on the list for Red but when informed the wait was pushed back a few months I was frustrated. My dealer had a guy back out on his yellow one and so they equipped that bike with all the options I had ordered and I have been riding all summer instead of waiting until October to get the Red. With a waiting list system my dealer always refunds the deposits simply because they just go to the next guy in line with good news. It made my day for sure and I can always paint my bike or order a second set of plastic for it.