PDA

View Full Version : Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebar

snics
02-25-2014, 07:29 PM
Does anyone have the Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebar?
Do you like them?

Trying to figure out if they bring a big improvement.
Compared to stock handlebar, how far do the handles move away from the rider ?

The dealer I'm dealing with does not have any yet.

Thanks,

Larry rt
02-25-2014, 07:39 PM
The ones from BRP only went up or down, and toward driver . I did not notice if it moved any farther forward. Other than rising 2 inches , they were not a benefit for me .

SpyderAnn01
02-25-2014, 07:49 PM
Hi, I had them installed on my 2014 and I really like them. The move back toward the rider by about 6". Remember though you can't adjust them independently or just raise them up without bringing them back toward you due to the way the mechanism operates.

3 Wheel Addict
02-25-2014, 08:39 PM
I got a new set from santa but they are still in the box, waiting for warmer weather to put them on. From what I'm seeing in the box they are really nice bars well worth the money!

Spacetrucker
02-25-2014, 09:53 PM
They are great? Just do it best for you. Love mine

rev.rr
02-25-2014, 10:09 PM
I feel better about ordering the Black tri ax handle bars for $695. for my new 2014 spyder rt ltd, I will pick up in April.
Spydrerann001 thank for the pullback measurement of 6 inches I didn't know how far they would come back to the driver for a vertically-challenge driver like me that's great news. Thank you for all of these post. Im Happy happy happy :ohyea:

scarecrow
02-26-2014, 07:47 AM
I love mine. I'm 6'2". I have mine fully out and as far foward as they will go. It gives me more room to move. I ride two up most of the time it just give me and my wife more room to move around. I ordered with when I bought the spyder and had them installed at the dealer. I did ride the spyder for about two weeks before they came in. What a differents after they were installed. I feel the bike handled better. If and when the wife ( she's about 5'4") starts to drive they change back to stock position in about 2 mins.

Bob Denman
02-26-2014, 07:48 AM
Question: Have your "Adjust-a-bars" been installed by the dealer, or did you perform the task yourself?
How tough is the installation process?
(Okay; TWO questions! :D)

warp10
02-26-2014, 08:03 AM
Question: Have your "Adjust-a-bars" been installed by the dealer, or did you perform the task yourself?

It does not matter Bob, you are not allowed to add Farkles. :roflblack:
Just trying to keep you out of the dog house, it is cold out there now. :lecturef_smilie:

Bob Denman
02-26-2014, 08:32 AM
:shocked:
Gee... thanks; I think! :D :thumbup:

snics
02-26-2014, 08:45 AM
I love mine. I'm 6'2". I have mine fully out and as far foward as they will go. It gives me more room to move. I ride two up most of the time it just give me and my wife more room to move around. I ordered with when I bought the spyder and had them installed at the dealer. I did ride the spyder for about two weeks before they came in. What a differents after they were installed. I feel the bike handled better. If and when the wife ( she's about 5'4") starts to drive they change back to stock position in about 2 mins.

Scarecrow thanks for the info.

So they do move forward compared to the stock handlebar?

Thanks,

jcthorne
02-26-2014, 09:13 AM

I installed my own. Louise set too.

I will tell you the install is long and involved. Entire upper console, frunk and glove box module must come off. Its not particularly hard but its a lot of parts off and back on. Each set took me about 6 hours. The instructions are not well written and the order of assembly is important. Both times I got well near the end of re-assembly and had to back up a long way. Both times do to vague and incomplete instructions leaving steps out that are not obvious until much later. You will also need the service manual as the instructions assume you have it. They just give a long list of items to remove.

Tango
02-26-2014, 09:21 AM
I am hoping I like them. My demo ride had them on. And I liked them. Wife said she will need them. Dealer says it is an involved job to do them. They will charge me $200 for the install. On top of $571 cost of the black handlebar. :hun: Ya, not a cheap farkle. :yikes: Tom :trike:

Spyder Smyles
02-26-2014, 09:53 AM
Love mine, I have them on my 2013 and they make all the difference. It took the stress off of my shoulders and made my ride more enjoyable. :dg2:

Bob Denman
02-26-2014, 10:06 AM

I will tell you the install is long and involved. Entire upper console, frunk and glove box module must come off. Its not particularly hard but its a lot of parts off and back on. Each set took me about 6 hours. The instructions are not well written and the order of assembly is important. Both times I got well near the end of re-assembly and had to back up a long way. Both times do to vague and incomplete instructions leaving steps out that are not obvious until much later. You will also need the service manual as the instructions assume you have it. They just give a long list of items to remove.
Lots of parts and time... Thanks! :thumbup:

Pirate looks at --
02-26-2014, 10:12 AM
I am hoping I like them. My demo ride had them on. And I liked them. Wife said she will need them. Dealer says it is an involved job to do them. They will charge me $200 for the install. On top of $571 cost of the black handlebar. :hun: Ya, not a cheap farkle. :yikes: Tom :trike:
Sounds like the $200 is a good investment. I know 6 hours of my time is worth more than$200.00!

SpyderAnn01
02-26-2014, 01:32 PM
I had the dealer install mine before I picked up the Spyder. Seemed like the easiest thing to do.

Bob Denman
02-26-2014, 01:42 PM
:agree: If it'll take even just four hours' worth of time; $200 for the installation is relatively cheap... :2thumbs:

jwulf74
02-26-2014, 01:42 PM

Yikes...is that due to the tri-axis being that much different that the stock bars?

I am going to get the stock bar powder coated black on the wifes machine. The main bolts, back covers and control bolts all look pretty easy. I haven't dug in far enough to know how to deal with the key switch yet though. Is that where all the extra hassle is focused?

jcthorne
02-26-2014, 02:57 PM
Yikes...is that due to the tri-axis being that much different that the stock bars?

I am going to get the stock bar powder coated black on the wifes machine. The main bolts, back covers and control bolts all look pretty easy. I haven't dug in far enough to know how to deal with the key switch yet though. Is that where all the extra hassle is focused?

Removing those 4 big bolts you can see will not let you remove the handle bar. The black trim that goes under the console is bolted from the underside. You also need to get to the back side of the ignition switch to unbolt it and remove the bezel on the top.

You have to remove all this stuff to get the old bars off. New ones go on about the same way except for the adjustment mechanism.

Bob Denman
02-26-2014, 03:11 PM
So... Those four big bolts, are just the "tip of the iceberg..." :yikes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLE5nKCNXZE

jwulf74
02-26-2014, 03:23 PM
Removing those 4 big bolts you can see will not let you remove the handle bar. The black trim that goes under the console is bolted from the underside. You also need to get to the back side of the ignition switch to unbolt it and remove the bezel on the top.

You have to remove all this stuff to get the old bars off. New ones go on about the same way except for the adjustment mechanism.

:banghead::banghead::banghead: thanks for the tip. They can't make it easy huh... sounds like a good time to rip out the air box and resonator too... I'm watching for your air filter...hopefully the first batch isn't all spoken for yet.

rev.rr
02-26-2014, 04:32 PM
Bob
There is a you tube video by fzrsmkr called : "installing tri-axis adjustable handlebars on RT 2014" that show the process of taking the spyder apart and putting it back together
I hoping the dealer will put them on for me when they assemble the bike! I will talk nicely to him next week about it.

DR Buck
02-26-2014, 05:20 PM
One of the top mods I've done. Makes riding much more comfortable. I can't speak for the 13 or 14 model years but on the 2012s and earlier you have to remove the front console assembly. You do not have to remove the frunk or glove box. It took me about 4 hours or so to do. Although it was a little scary taking all the stuff off the Spyder, I found the experience worth it. It gave me a chance to see how things were put together and what was where. I was less intimidated taking things off again to install my alarm system, new digital gauges, rerouting and remounting GPS and associated wires, and installing other farkles.

Purple Guy
02-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Bob
There is a you tube video by fzrsmkr called : "installing tri-axis adjustable handlebars on RT 2014" that show the process of taking the spyder apart and putting it back together
I hoping the dealer will put them on for me when they assemble the bike! I will talk nicely to him next week about it.

That's what I did.
When I made the deal for my 2014 RT Ltd. the dealer had no problem throwing in the labor to mount my Tri Axis bars & my BajaRon sway bar for me.
Putting the Tri Axis bars on is doable but quite involved.

spydajohn
03-29-2014, 06:54 PM
Thanks guys for the great info I got a set for my 2010 rt and will be fitting them soon myself because I do all servicing and repairs as well .

PW2013STL
03-29-2014, 10:11 PM
I will be installing mine sometime next week. I would have had the dealer do it when they assembled my Spyder, but was quoted $350.00 for labor. At that price I will do it myself.

Tango
03-30-2014, 10:22 AM
I will be installing mine sometime next week. I would have had the dealer do it when they assembled my Spyder, but was quoted $350.00 for labor. At that price I will do it myself.

Dealer charged $220 for the install. After it was assembled. Labor was approx. 2.5 hours.. :thumbup: Guess I was lucky. :f_spider: Tom :trike:

KyPadre
07-23-2016, 11:44 AM
Hi, I had them installed on my 2014 and I really like them. The move back toward the rider by about 6". Remember though you can't adjust them independently or just raise them up without bringing them back toward you due to the way the mechanism operates.

What is the size of the Allen Wrench Hex tip to adjust the bars?

stillriding
07-23-2016, 01:03 PM
What is the size of the Allen Wrench Hex tip to adjust the bars?
​8mm

JayD
07-23-2016, 02:02 PM
I installed a set on my RTS. My shoulders hurt prior to install. No more. Being able to re-adjust the on multi day rides is a plus.

modagwood
07-24-2016, 06:05 PM
I have the chrome one's, but wish I had got the black ones, the chrome reflect's to much sun. also show's to many finger prints. other that I like them fine, easy to adjust to your liking. I would like to find a good cup holder that work on the tri-axis bars. Do any of you have any idea's? Thank you.

bigbadbrucie
07-24-2016, 06:58 PM
I have the chrome one's, but wish I had got the black ones, the chrome reflect's to much sun. also show's to many finger prints. other that I like them fine, easy to adjust to your liking. I would like to find a good cup holder that work on the tri-axis bars. Do any of you have any idea's? Thank you.

I also have the chrome ones. When I purchased them, I was warned about the sun reflecting, but I don't find it any worse than any other street bike I've owned. I like the simplicity of adjustment, and I too would like to find a cup holder.

JayD
07-25-2016, 06:05 PM
I installed the Tri Axis on my 2014 RTS. If you can get it done for $200, go for it. I spent about about 11 hours installing the tri axis, wiring harness and gps. Most of the time involved was deciphering the instructions and you tube videos. Glad I did it. I am a lot more familiar with the RTS.