PDA

View Full Version : Stock Exhaust Mod

chief1949
02-21-2014, 05:23 PM
What could/would be the consequences if I were to remove the exhaust tip (stock ST exhaust) and drill 1/4 inch holes in the muffler to allow for a bit more flow. I've doe this on previous bikes I've owned and had great results with improved flow and a nice rumble without having to re map. Any and all responses are greatly apreciated.

NautiBrit
02-21-2014, 07:23 PM
I did that on my Valkyrie many years ago. Nice sound, but no affect on performace. Not really sure what the results would be on a Spyder, but if it sounds good, it must be good.

SPYD3R
02-21-2014, 07:46 PM
WHICH MUFFLER...?
RT, RS, etc....
i'll send you pix of the insides if you let me know which 1 u have.... :thumbup:

Oops, sorry, just notice you have an ST....
here are some pix...
83594 83596 83597 83598 83599
these things are built to resist earthquakes and tornadoes.... absolutely BULLET-PROOF....
drilling 1/8" holes will get you nowhere... there are 3 180 degree reverses... gut the thing, and install a glass pack like i did...

chief1949
02-23-2014, 01:20 PM
ST exhaust looks like the one in the pics. Like your idea with the glass pack. If you have more pics to completion it would be greatly appreciated. The drilling I could do myself, the glass pack mod I'd have to go to a muffler shop and would want to have as detailed instructions as possible.

Thanks a million this is exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Colin
02-23-2014, 02:43 PM
With the Cat Converter before the Muffler, not in the Muffler like RS/RSS I believe you may get a better sound but not too much improvement in airflow. Perfoming Surgery or eliminating the Cat Converter all together may be your best option.

chief1949
03-30-2014, 10:00 PM
With the Cat Converter before the Muffler, not in the Muffler like RS/RSS I believe you may get a better sound but not too much improvement in airflow. Perfoming Surgery or eliminating the Cat Converter all together may be your best option.

I removed the stock exhaust tip and drilled 5/8 inch holes completely thru into the muffler. There are two (2) plates to drill thru the outer one you can see and another one a couple of inches after you drill thru the first.

Just the improvement in sound I was looking for. No impact on performance that I can tell. I did notice some improvement in gas mileage but I'm guessing that's just a result of break in, as I have less than 2500 total miles.

djrhew
12-05-2019, 04:31 PM
What could/would be the consequences if I were to remove the exhaust tip (stock ST exhaust) and drill 1/4 inch holes in the muffler to allow for a bit more flow. I've doe this on previous bikes I've owned and had great results with improved flow and a nice rumble without having to re map. Any and all responses are greatly apreciated.

Hey folks. I actually did this today on a '15 RT LTD. There are actually 3 layers to drill through. I did q4 1/2 inch holes. I put them at about the 12, 2, 6 and 9 positions. The short of it is, now I have a muffler that sounds like it has a hole in it. Just without the rattle that goes along with a burnt or rusted out muffler. As for the 90 degree tips, with them pointed down you get echo off the ground or garage floor. If you remove them, all of the noise goes straight back instead of bouncing off the ground.

The holes do offer a slight drone at idle and low RPM. At speed, I couldn't tell a difference.
Now for me, I came across this video of a Spyder with a glass pack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBUY7Q8XZAo.
Personally, I like the sound. More of the Harley / Indian tone to it. The glass pack is about $35 at Advanced Auto. Since I ride solo 80% of the time, I will probably go this route.

Thanks for ALL of the tips and info. Lots of great info here.

DJ