PDA

View Full Version : 2012 RT Cat-Bypass

oldfarmerboy
02-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Has any one found a place to have this made at an affordable price ?

jthornton
02-21-2014, 01:23 PM
any muffler shop with a bender

For the RT if you don't have a fixture to build them in you will never get them to fit. Ask Doc Riverside about the two he tried and never could get them to seal or line up properly.

Here's what a fixture looks like... it holds everything in proper alignment to match the OEM Cat.

JT

Bob Denman
02-21-2014, 02:17 PM
Hi John!
Have you given any thought to building a bypass-pipe, for the new 1330 yet? :dontknow:

oldfarmerboy
02-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Hey John

Your right about the jig I've been to 2 good muffler shops and they said the same thing and would not attempt to build one. Where in you picture is that one being built? Will they build more for a reasonable price? Thanks for the info.

Chief2
02-21-2014, 02:42 PM
http://www.spyder1attitude.com/old_index.html

DR Buck
02-21-2014, 03:07 PM

:agree: Perfect fit right out of the box, including the hanger brackets.:agree:

jthornton
02-22-2014, 07:42 AM
Hi John!
Have you given any thought to building a bypass-pipe, for the new 1330 yet? :dontknow:

Doc Riverside said the 1330 would be easier to do than the 990 but I've not seen one yet.

JT

jthornton
02-22-2014, 07:47 AM
Hey John

Your right about the jig I've been to 2 good muffler shops and they said the same thing and would not attempt to build one. Where in you picture is that one being built? Will they build more for a reasonable price? Thanks for the info.

That on is the one I built and it is pictured on one of my work benches. I was wondering about the demand for a well built bypass and if it would pay for the tooling to do it right?

JT

spyder-dude
02-22-2014, 08:17 AM
I am defiantly interested in a cat bypass! :) :thumbup:

jthornton
02-22-2014, 08:19 AM
I am defiantly interested in a cat bypass! :) :thumbup:

I'll get the tooling I need and get fired up on making some then.

JT

kepople
02-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Will this help the heat problems since the Cat by my foot will be cold?

WIll the engine actually run cooler??

I understand less resistance is always good.

Dragonrider
02-22-2014, 10:57 AM
I pulled the CAT on my 2010, & it was the 2nd best mod I did on my Spyder - probably why I couldn't notice the performance difference between it & the '14s.

AgentK
02-22-2014, 11:55 AM
I'd be interested in one also.

jthornton
02-22-2014, 02:28 PM
I'd be interested in one also.

I better get cracking... seems most of the folks that called me today agree on two things, fair price and proper fit are the top most important features of a cat bypass. Dang phone rang off the hook all morning... I even had two at the same time on the phone and all this while I'm trying to port my cell number from ATT to Verzion. A busy morning for sure.

JT

klinton
02-22-2014, 03:28 PM
I would love to have one for my 2012 R/T limited. I'm sure you could sell everyone you make here on the forum.

jthornton
02-22-2014, 04:48 PM
I would love to have one for my 2012 R/T limited. I'm sure you could sell everyone you make here on the forum.

I had no idea there was this much interest!

JT

pokerpaul
02-22-2014, 06:13 PM
I would also be interested if it also fit a ST

jthornton
02-22-2014, 06:21 PM
I would also be interested if it also fit a ST

I don't know if the ST and RT have the same cat or not.

JT

spyder-dude
02-22-2014, 06:23 PM
Actually I just thought about this. My 2014 is a different cat than on the 2012. :(

jthornton
02-22-2014, 08:57 PM
Actually I just thought about this. My 2014 is a different cat than on the 2012. :(

Yes, the 2014 is a simple one compared to the 2012.

JT

Spyderdale
02-22-2014, 09:18 PM
Yes, the 2014 is a simple one compared to the 2012.

JTI would be interested in one for my 2013 RT if replacing the CAT does not require the addition of a fuel controller.

jcthorne
02-22-2014, 09:54 PM
I would be interested in one for my 2013 RT if replacing the CAT does not require the addition of a fuel controller.

If you retain the stock muffler, it does not. If you are using an aftermarket muffler with the cat delete, donno.

Spacetrucker
02-22-2014, 10:00 PM
Len at Pit Bull has the pipes. give them a call???

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-23-2014, 01:04 AM
What kind of legal issues are there with bypassing the OEM catalytic converter? Aren't you running afoul of Federal anti-pollution regulations? A dealer can get into big trouble, can't they, if they do anything to circumvent the factory cat converter?

jthornton
02-23-2014, 06:44 AM
I would be interested in one for my 2013 RT if replacing the CAT does not require the addition of a fuel controller.

Everything I've read if you retain the stock muffler you don't have to change anything else.

JT

soaring hawk
02-23-2014, 09:16 AM
Count me in, 2011 rts

Gary:doorag:

Bob Denman
02-23-2014, 09:21 AM
What kind of legal issues are there with bypassing the OEM catalytic converter? Aren't you running afoul of Federal anti-pollution regulations? A dealer can get into big trouble, can't they, if they do anything to circumvent the factory cat converter?

Dealers aren't supposed to get caught pulling catalytic converters off of anything! :shocked:

The good news: it's pretty easy to pull them yourself; just keep all of the oem stuff for when you sell the bike... :thumbup:

jcthorne
03-15-2014, 03:12 PM

Don't buy that pile of .... well... just don't buy it. Very poor quality product. Wait for Jthornton to have his available or I hear Lamonster may start making these. One of them NEEDS to.

spyder-dude
03-15-2014, 03:55 PM
I saw and heard Lamonts this past week in Daytona! It sounds and looks great! Looking forward to getting mine soon! :thumbup:

crazyspyder
03-15-2014, 04:49 PM
Don't buy that pile of .... well... just don't buy it. Very poor quality product. Wait for Jthornton to have his available or I hear Lamonster may start making these. One of them NEEDS to.

:agree: and :popcorn:

DR Buck
03-15-2014, 09:19 PM

First of all Spyder Attitude is and has been a good Spyder Lovers sponsor. Second, I was one of the early purchasers of their CAT bypass. It was delivered quickly, well packaged, built like a battleship and fit like a glove. And as of today it is still working perfectly.

You may have had problems but others haven't. It's great there are more vendors making them. Competition is always good but statements like yours will drive sponsors away.

jcthorne
03-15-2014, 10:12 PM
First of all Spyder Attitude is and has been a good Spyder Lovers sponsor. Second, I was one of the early purchasers of their CAT bypass. It was delivered quickly, well packaged, built like a battleship and fit like a glove. And as of today it is still working perfectly.

You may have had problems but others haven't. It's great there are more vendors making them. Competition is always good but statements like yours will drive sponsors away.

I gave the mild version the first one I purchased. Two in a row shows a vendor that does not care about the customers they sell to. Both were poor quality, thin cheap carbon steel material and fit very poorly (first one) or not at all (second one). If they cannot do better, I would just as soon they did go away and feel others on this forum need to know what they sell before making the decision. I would much rather they correct the mistakes and produce a good product that fits and will last, especially for the price they charge. Others have had similar difficulties, they just were not as vocal about it. I let it slide after the first one but no more. I did not get the products I paid for.

Oh and your large cartoon fonts don't make the statements any more valid.

InspectorGadget
03-19-2014, 07:42 PM
After reading Lamonts post about fabricating a cat bypass and after seeing and hearing his on his 2014 triple at Daytona, I decided to fabricate one for my 2010 998 twin. I found a muffler shop that will take on the task, but I had to locate the proper size SS tubing as he only handles automotive heavy GA material. I found an online supplier for the tubing and I have made a jig.
As soon as I have one fabricated I will post more information.

InspectorGadget
03-20-2014, 12:27 PM
OK appearently I missed the post somehow, because I didn't realize that Lamont was planning on producing a cat bypass for the 998 twin since he now has a 1330. I just received word from him, but the pricing is not set yet---stay tuned.
Had I known I might have waited, but now I have already ordered materials so I will have to wait to see how much my total will be.

SNOOPY
03-20-2014, 04:07 PM
I don't know if the ST and RT have the same cat or not.

JT

On the SpyderAttitudes site the one they sell fits all 2013 RT ST and RS.

Bob Denman
03-20-2014, 04:44 PM
They do have the same system...
Same frames, engines, and transmissions... :thumbup:

InspectorGadget
05-19-2014, 07:47 PM
I finally completed my cat bypass after working on it for 3 weeks.
The sound is great. Just about 20 decibels more and after 3 tanks of fuel perhaps 2 more miles per gallon.
the unit that Lamont is producing is worth every dollar he is asking for these.
I love my cat bypass

SNOOPY
05-19-2014, 07:58 PM
I finally completed my cat bypass after working on it for 3 weeks.
The sound is great. Just about 20 decibels more and after 3 tanks of fuel perhaps 2 more miles per gallon.
the unit that Lamont is producing is worth every dollar he is asking for these.
I love my cat bypass

So where did you get it?

Haven't seen them actually for sale?

Some were saying Pitbull, but the last few times I looked on their site they weren't available? :dontknow:

Woodsrider
06-10-2014, 06:53 AM
Resurrecting old thread....has anyone started selling 990 RT Bypass kits?

Shana
06-10-2014, 11:10 AM
I called them and they sent it to me in the mail this week.

So where did you get it?

Haven't seen them actually for sale?

Some were saying Pitbull, but the last few times I looked on their site they weren't available? :dontknow:

Spyder in La.
06-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Just curious..... Has anyone ever verified that catalyst is actually in the unit that's being removed? Does anyone have pics?

jthornton
06-10-2014, 12:48 PM
Just curious..... Has anyone ever verified that catalyst is actually in the unit that's being removed? Does anyone have pics?

Search the forum and you can find photos of people that did the can opener type of cat removal.

JT

Woodsrider
06-10-2014, 05:17 PM
I haven't figured out yet if anyone sells 'em or if it's get your own made up. I might have to renew acquaintance with the custom trike shop and see what they can build.

SNOOPY
06-10-2014, 09:34 PM
:popcorn:

RidersInChrist
06-10-2014, 11:44 PM
I saw and heard Lamonts this past week in Daytona! It sounds and looks great! Looking forward to getting mine soon! :thumbup:

Can u by chance give me a link or tell me where to go to see how much Lamonts cat Bypass are for a 2012 RT.
thanks
chuck

ornerydog7
06-11-2014, 12:24 AM
Can u by chance give me a link or tell me where to go to see how much Lamonts cat Bypass are for a 2012 RT.
thanks
chuck

This may help answer your question

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?65203-Lamonster-Garage-Product-update