PDA

View Full Version : that plastic ring on the bars

frleo
08-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Hello all,

I am seldom a tinkerer and what seems simple to some usually means less than simple for me.

I want to install a GPS mount in the location of the small ring on the right bar. I have read two ways to remove that ring.
1. cut it and remove it. (box cutter, etc.)
2. remove 2 screws, slide the throttle and controls off, slide the ring off and then reinstall the controls. [I read Lamont's post about spraying with windex]

It makes sense to me to NOT destroy that black ring, in case I want to reinstall it at some point.
So, is there any secret to removing the throttle grip and control and then reinstalling them?

Thanks for any/all suggestions and advice.

---leo---

Stuart49
08-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Cut that ring right off with a box cutter and drop it into your "Spyder box". Then you've got a nice area for a RAM mount.

Stuart in PGH

ataDude
08-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Hello all,

I am seldom a tinkerer and what seems simple to some usually means less than simple for me.

I want to install a GPS mount in the location of the small ring on the right bar. I have read two ways to remove that ring.
2. remove 2 screws, slide the throttle and controls off, slide the ring off and then reinstall the controls. [I read Lamont's post about spraying with windex]

It makes sense to me to NOT destroy that black ring, in case I want to reinstall it at some point.
So, is there any secret to removing the throttle grip and control and then reinstalling them?

---leo---

Maybe. Depends if you have enough cable/wire slop to slide the entire throttle assembly off of the right side. In my case, I was always working on another project that needed both bar-end assemblies off. In that case, I had to loosen the handlebar clamps... which required removing the handlebar cover assemblies... which... you get my drift. It can get ugly.

However, you have absolutely nothing to lose by loosening the two bolts mentioned to see if you actually can slide the assembly off. Worse case, you can't and you have to cut a $3 part off.

Director
08-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Hello all,

---leo---

May I suggest an alternative that does not involve any cutting? You would have to mount the GPS on the left rather than the right if you do this, but the RAM clutch reservoir cover would do the trick without any modifications to the Spyder at all:

http://products.ram-mount.com/rammount/productdetail.aspx?partnumber=RAM-B-346U

Just a thought.

Bruce

spyderrider44
08-11-2008, 07:01 PM
May I suggest an alternative that does not involve any cutting? You would have to mount the GPS on the left rather than the right if you do this, but the RAM clutch reservoir cover would do the trick without any modifications to the Spyder at all:

http://products.ram-mount.com/rammount/productdetail.aspx?partnumber=RAM-B-346U

Just a thought.

Bruce
Thanks for info i saw this on a site selling ram mounts but wasn't sure if it would work on the Spyder reservior.

bjt
08-11-2008, 07:06 PM
I also did a left hand mount on my GPS. I used the RAM hardware that came with the GPS.

Here's the thread. (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4944)

frleo
08-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Brian, I had read the thread of your install. You are much more clever that I am. Dremel work is beyond my abilities.
Bruce, does that clutch res. cover replace the spYder cover or fit over it?
Mounting on the left certainly has advantages.
thanks, ---leo---

Director
08-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Brian, I had read the thread of your install. You are much more clever that I am. Dremel work is beyond my abilities.
Bruce, does that clutch res. cover replace the spYder cover or fit over it?
Mounting on the left certainly has advantages.
thanks, ---leo---

Fr. Leo, the RAM clutch reservoir cover goes over the existing cover. It comes with a bunch of screws with varying lengths. You simply remove the two screws that come with the reservoir, leaving the stock cover in place, put the RAM plate on top and then replace the stock screws with the matching RAM screws, which are slightly longer than the stock ones. Thus, both the new RAM cover and the existing cover are snugly in place, with the RAM piggybacking on the stock cover. Looks like a nice clean way to go.:thumbup:

Bruce

frleo
08-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Now, that seems like something I could do. I have the URL of RAM so am off to see about ordering.
Thanks, Bruce.
---leo---

sabunim5
08-12-2008, 09:43 AM
The throttle assembly slides right off the end of the bar after loosening the screws for easy removal of the black plastic ring. Goes back on just as easy. Good luck on whatever installation you choose.:thumbup:
sabunim5:spyder:

bjt
08-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Fr. Leo, the RAM clutch reservoir cover goes over the existing cover. It comes with a bunch of screws with varying lengths. You simply remove the two screws that come with the reservoir, leaving the stock cover in place, put the RAM plate on top and then replace the stock screws with the matching RAM screws, which are slightly longer than the stock ones. Thus, both the new RAM cover and the existing cover are snugly in place, with the RAM piggybacking on the stock cover. Looks like a nice clean way to go.:thumbup:

Bruce

I probably would have gone this way (RAM clutch cover mount) too if I wasn't able to make the included bracket work for me. The left hand mount is so much more convenient and safe for using the GPS while riding. Right hand mount would require you to remove your hand from the throttle or reach your left hand across your body to do anything with the GPS. The center mount would require you to lean forward to do anything with the GPS. With the left hand mount, it's 'right there', in easy reach.

Director
08-12-2008, 07:54 PM
I probably would have gone this way (RAM clutch cover mount) too if I wasn't able to make the included bracket work for me. The left hand mount is so much more convenient and safe for using the GPS while riding. Right hand mount would require you to remove your hand from the throttle or reach your left hand across your body to do anything with the GPS. The center mount would require you to lean forward to do anything with the GPS. With the left hand mount, it's 'right there', in easy reach.

:agree: I have had the Ram mount on my Concours on the left hand side for years and I like it there. I don't think the mount I have on the Connie would work on the Spyder, but it is really handy, as it has two Ram balls on it, one on the top and one facing the rider, so I can hook up both my GPS and two-way radio close to one another.

Bruce

frleo
08-12-2008, 09:16 PM
I MADE THE ORDER. Now the wait for the parts to arrive.
Thanks for all the good help. Again shows just how good this forum is for spYderiders.

---leo---

frleo
08-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Parts arrived quickly - install went mostly OK. Screws from RAM were wrong thread pitch, quickly remedied with trek to hardware store.
Here's what it looks like and works very well for me.
http://users.zoominternet.net/~langevine/gps-install.JPG

Thanks again fellow spYder Riders.

---leo---

NancysToy
08-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Parts arrived quickly - install went mostly OK. Screws from RAM were wrong thread pitch, quickly remedied with trek to hardware store.

See how easy that was, Father. And you said you weren't mechanically inclined... :D
-Scotty

bjt
08-18-2008, 07:48 AM
Are your new screws stainless steel frleo? I had bought some hardware store screws for my GPS mount at first and they started rusting once they got rained on. I replaced them with stainless steel screws. Just an FYI.

Director
08-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Here's what it looks like and works very well for me.
http://users.zoominternet.net/~langevine/gps-install.JPG

Thanks again fellow spYder Riders.

---leo---

That looks great, Father Leo. I'm glad it worked out well for you. :thumbup:

Bruce

frleo
08-18-2008, 01:47 PM
The bin said stainless steel, but they are black, so hopefully SS and anodized. Is that possible?

---leo---

Director
08-18-2008, 02:05 PM
The bin said stainless steel, but they are black, so hopefully SS and anodized. Is that possible?

---leo---

I have never had any RAM bolts rust, and I have been using RAM mounts for years.

Bruce

frleo
08-18-2008, 02:21 PM
I have never had any RAM bolts rust, and I have been using RAM mounts for years.

Bruce

The screws RAM sent were the wrong size/pitch - had to buy larger ones at local hardware. The bin SAID SS. Hope so.:opps:
---leo---