PDA

View Full Version : Three wheeled mutant trike

bruiser
02-20-2014, 07:02 PM
That's what the guys at Top Gear called the RT.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/can-am-spyder-rt-road-test-2014-02-19

Bob Denman
02-20-2014, 07:08 PM
At least they've noticed us... :thumbup:

ARtraveler
02-20-2014, 07:49 PM
I thought the review was pretty good. :thumbup:

spydaman60
02-20-2014, 08:03 PM
not a bad review! some of the comments after, left a little to be desired!!

NancysToy
02-20-2014, 08:14 PM
I kind of like the term...although "three-wheeled" and "trike" are redundant terms. I think I prefer "mutant trike" to "tadpole trike" or "reverse trike". Maybe we have found our moniker. I can't wait to wear the T-shirt. :roflblack:

spydaman60
02-20-2014, 08:22 PM
I kind of like the term...although "three-wheeled" and "trike" are redundant terms. I think I prefer "mutant trike" to "tadpole trike" or "reverse trike". Maybe we have found our moniker. I can't wait to wear the T-shirt. :roflblack:mutant triker does have a nice ring to it!!!:roflblack::roflblack:

otter28169
02-20-2014, 08:31 PM
I love the people whom are posting aboutthe price and not wanting one. I wonder how many of them have driven one.

dave92253
02-20-2014, 09:05 PM
" mutant trike " must have my friend silk screen it on a tshirt for me.............. but wait. what tshirt do I wear when I ride my Honda goldwing trike... hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

spacetiger
02-20-2014, 09:26 PM
I noted the final recommendation (driven by cost) to go for the RS - then suggesting slighter better performance will be gained. I thought this was an interesting thing to say given the new drive train is only in the RTS.

Jerry

NancysToy
02-20-2014, 09:45 PM
" mutant trike " must have my friend silk screen it on a tshirt for me.............. but wait. what tshirt do I wear when I ride my Honda goldwing trike... hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Trikellac?

Flanker
02-20-2014, 10:58 PM
At least it was the real Top Gear and not the lame :cus: sophomoric US version. They probably woulda done some clever bleep like take a trip on a completely clapped out Spyder while wearing a clown suit, with a Holstein cow riding two up with them.

NetJunkie
02-20-2014, 11:08 PM
I noted the final recommendation (driven by cost) to go for the RS - then suggesting slighter better performance will be gained. I thought this was an interesting thing to say given the new drive train is only in the RTS.

Jerry

But I bet the RS/RS-S is still faster. That new engine is good for low end torque and pulling trailers..not for higher end acceleration. That plus the extra weight and the RS-S is still the sport bike.

Bob Denman
02-21-2014, 08:15 AM
At least it was the real Top Gear and not the lame :cus: sophomoric US version. They probably woulda done some clever bleep like take a trip on a completely clapped out Spyder while wearing a clown suit, with a Holstein cow riding two up with them.

And then they would have had to try and jump it off of a cliff, or crash it into a barn... :gaah:...on fire!!

GeoffCee
02-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Trikellac?

Trike-u-like? ;)

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-21-2014, 11:35 AM
These people are really really CAR guys......So all in all, I think it was a very good review. Had they been comparing all the other Trikes ( ex-cept BMW ) I think they would have been even more impressed .........JMHO....Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
02-21-2014, 03:11 PM
Trike-u-like? ;)

I was thinking Trike + Cadillac

otter28169
02-21-2014, 04:12 PM
But I bet the RS/RS-S is still faster. That new engine is good for low end torque and pulling trailers..not for higher end acceleration. That plus the extra weight and the RS-S is still the sport bike.

I agree. The added torque and HP will make it closer to the RS "sport" feel. It will not make it more of a sport ride than the RS. It is still heavier, has more aerodynamic drag, and is geared for the low end grunt needed for comfortable 2 up touring.

And let's be honest, when BRP finally pulls their collective head out of their :cus: and puts a hotter motor in the RS-S, there will be an even bigger performance gap.

Just sayin'............

spacetiger
02-21-2014, 08:05 PM

Netjunkie,

I agree with you - and the author is saying it too. I take that as a complement to the V engine drivetrain.

But, I suspect the new engine can be given a different S/W program and new cams and would be a significant improvement to the RS/ST bikes. There is no substitution for cubic inches; you have about a ~33% increase in displacement.

Jerry

otter28169
02-21-2014, 08:29 PM
Netjunkie,

I agree with you - and the author is saying it too. I take that as a complement to the V engine drivetrain.

But, I suspect the new engine can be given a different S/W program and new cams and would be a significant improvement to the RS/ST bikes. There is no substitution for cubic inches; you have about a ~33% increase in displacement.

Jerry

So you do not believe in turbos?
The replacement for displacement is increasing the volume of air, so that you can increase the amount of fuel.

Just sayin'............

NetJunkie
02-21-2014, 08:42 PM
Netjunkie,

Jerry

We've already seen in other applications that the existing V can put out more power. That's what many of us RS/RS-S owners want. I don't want the heavier triple. I want NO more weight added to my RS-S..I want less. Give me the extra power from the V and shave some weight.

spydaman60
02-21-2014, 09:28 PM
We've already seen in other applications that the existing V can put out more power. That's what many of us RS/RS-S owners want. I don't want the heavier triple. I want NO more weight added to my RS-S..I want less. Give me the extra power from the V and shave some weight.i'll second that!!!:clap::clap:

Dan_Ashley
02-21-2014, 09:38 PM
Trikellac?
Trike-aholic

spacetiger
02-22-2014, 12:18 AM
So you do not believe in turbos?
The replacement for displacement is increasing the volume of air, so that you can increase the amount of fuel.

Just sayin'............

I do believe in turbo's, but the engine/bike packaging makes this a challenge; where do you put the turbo? I think you are probably looking at under the bike where the catalytic converter is. I would say that isn't the best location for the turbo because it would be sitting low in the chasis (IMHO) and the distance would be a bit long from the head.

A superior option (IMHO) would be to install a nitrous oxide kit. You could put the bottle in the frunk and route the fuel/NO lines without too much trouble. I think adding the injectors are not too difficult either. You will need a different fuel and ignition controller, but there are options out there to have a dual mode system. You should have one riding mode with no NOS and then be able to flip the switch and instantly add another 25% power with NOS,extra fuel. The additional weight might still push 20-25lbs. You could make it less by using a smaller NOS bottle.

So, working out a NOS kit should be within the skill set of some of the riders out there where as the turbo addition would be a lot tougher and expensive. I am also sure you would have a good chance that others might buy the NOS kit you pull together.

Jerry