PDA

View Full Version : Silver Platinum Satim care

pjweimer
02-20-2014, 05:00 AM
When I picked up our 2014 RT-622 trailer yesterday one of the shop techs asked if I was aware of the considerations necessary for the proper care of it's finish. The trailer and the 2014 RT Limited I picked the weekend prior are Silver Platinum Satin. He said that he had just read a service bulletin regarding the proper care of the satin finish paints. One can only use a mild detergent and water... no wax, no polish, no cleaner, nothing but mild detergent and water. The use of other products "could result in the paint becoming splotchy".:yikes:

Kind of stuck his comment in the back of my mind and went about getting the trailer strapped down for transport (roads were way too sloppy to tow it and the dealer still has not received the hitch). Before I left for home the tech's comment boiled back up to the surface and I went back in to find him. I wanted a print out of that service bulletin but I could not find him anywhere.:banghead:

Need to call him later today and have him fax that bulletin to me.

Special care needed for the satin finish! Still would not have deterred me from buying it. Linn and I both loved our 2012 Pearl White RT Limited but we really fell for this Silver Platinum.:yes::yes:

Our new 2014 RT Limited
Linn and Ed, the Service Manager

The RT-622 before unstrapping it

SpongeBob
02-20-2014, 10:04 AM
You're right ... page 138 in the owner's manual.

"Do not wax or polish on matte surfaces."

Thanks for pointing this out. I had to rinse mine yesterday after riding in the snow run-off and was considering applying a liquid polish.

Bob Denman
02-20-2014, 10:09 AM
:shocked: This is important information, and we need to try and help inform anyone with a satin finish bike about it... :2thumbs:
Even thought it's in the manual! :gaah:

Oldmanzues
02-20-2014, 10:35 AM
I thought there was a big thread about this on here. Lots of very good information as I recall.
Oldmanzues

Route1motorsports
02-20-2014, 11:33 AM
The denim/matte finish needs special care when cleaning. Do not use any quick detailer or any wax based cleaners. Harley has been putting out Matte/Denim finsihes for years now. In my personal experience (10+ years working for HD & 1 Year with BRP) i HAVE FOUND Cycle Care's "ruff cut" to be an optimal detailer for denim finishes.

pjweimer
02-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Thanks to specific reference to the operator's guide! I'll check at the Iron Pony to see it they stock the Cycle Care product.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

pjweimer
02-20-2014, 02:21 PM
So I called Cycle Care and talked with Jerry, one of the techs, for about twenty minutes regarding the RuffCutt product. He convinced me that he was knowledgeable about the needs for satin paint care and its maintenance requirements. Seems this company formulates products strictly for motorcycles and has quite a tight following. Bottom line, I ordered RuffCutt and am eager to see how it performs.:yes:

ARtraveler
02-20-2014, 02:35 PM
:shocked: This is important information, and we need to try and help inform anyone with a satin finish bike about it... :2thumbs:
Even thought it's in the manual! :gaah:

Good idea to keep people informed of the special needs on the satin finish. I also believe it was mentioned in an earlier thread.

Manuals--page 138?--"we don't need no steenking manuals" is probably what goes on a lot. Not my favorite read when it sometimes takes pages and pages to get to the good stuff. I have always read mine--sometimes months ahead of the actual :spyder2: purchase--but that's me. :roflblack:

sharp
02-20-2014, 03:39 PM
Flash Gordon said he uses soap and detailer from Chemical Guys and it works well