PDA

View Full Version : Shifting 1st to 2nd

araknd
02-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Hey there,
Does anyone has issues with a hesitation when shifting from 1st to 2nd?

Cruzr Joe
02-19-2014, 10:06 PM
Hey there,

On what??????????

Give us some clues

Cruzr Joe

jwulf74
02-19-2014, 10:13 PM
On the red RTS, yes the last couple of times we have gone out. usually weeks in between and cold out... after that initial shift it is normal.

The lag in between 1st and 2nd is severe... like throw you forward and then wonder if the bike died... and then power comes back and off I go.

araknd
02-19-2014, 10:13 PM
Hey there,

It usually happens on the first shift where I'm at higher rpms, rather than slower starts...if that makes sense. I can leave my house and the maximum speed limit is 35, but when I get to the hwy and go from 1st to 2nd it hesitates..a lot, before kicking in.

NancysToy
02-19-2014, 10:20 PM
We need more info. SE or SM? What rpm are you shifting at? Are you truning at the time? Are there any possible traction issues? Are you holding the throttle steady when you shift? (if an SE).

araknd
02-19-2014, 10:25 PM
On the red RTS, yes the last couple of times we have gone out. usually weeks in between and cold out... after that initial shift it is normal.

The lag in between 1st and 2nd is severe... like throw you forward and then wonder if the bike died... and then power comes back and off I go.

Yep, that's what I experience.

araknd
02-19-2014, 10:34 PM
I have the semi auto 2012 RT, I was not on a curve and the rpm was about 4.5... Just guessing on that one.

1020webster
04-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Hello again--I picked up somewhere here that I might be letting off the gas when shifting between 1st to 2nd, you know like you do when shifting a manual transmission car. So, I checked it out; it seems this was my problem. I have been making a conscious effort to keep the throttle on when shifting 1st to 2nd and voila--no problem. Whenever I do have a problem, it's always because I let off the gas. So at least that is explained/solved. :ohyea:

Hi - I'm experiencing difficult with getting my 2013 RT SE to shift from first to second--it's just very hard to do--I really have to hit it and still it sometimes won't go the first time. I also sometimes experience difficult with going from Reverse to Neutral to First.

khromegal
04-25-2014, 10:17 PM
I read your post and realized that was what I was doing. Having come off a VTX and used to shifting. Only have had it a week so still getting used to it. Glad you asked the question Thanks:clap:

ThreeFeet
04-26-2014, 10:09 AM
It usually happens on the first shift where I'm at higher rpms, rather than slower starts...if that makes sense. I can leave my house and the maximum speed limit is 35, but when I get to the hwy and go from 1st to 2nd it hesitates..a lot, before kicking in. My 2010 RTS with 37xxx mi has periods of stupidity where it will race like crazy from first then slam into second. had the problem a long time ago and guess it's back. Doesn't do it all the time and beginning to think it's MY problem not the bike. But due for a service so will have Cowtown check it out.

pajara2
07-16-2014, 09:42 AM
Sorry if this is a derail but it's kinda related. I'm new to my 2012 RTs SE. I hold the throttle steady from 1 to 2 and shift about 5k. Sometimes it backfires. Is this something I'm doing? Or do I need to adjust timing or something? Any input appreciated.

Magdave
07-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Sorry if this is a derail but it's kinda related. I'm new to my 2012 RTs SE. I hold the throttle steady from 1 to 2 and shift about 5k. Sometimes it backfires. Is this something I'm doing? Or do I need to adjust timing or something? Any input appreciated.

Hijacking this thread will not help you. You need to start a new thread and ask you own question.:thumbup: