PDA

View Full Version : I am curious as to why so many

MidTNDawg
02-17-2014, 06:18 PM
go directly to BRP when problems arise. Why do you not have your dealer fight your battle(s)? I am genuinely interested.

Bob Denman
02-17-2014, 06:37 PM
Good question! :shocked:
This points to another issue:
Do you trust your dealer to have your best interests at heart, when things go "pear-shaped" on you? :dontknow:

cuznjohn
02-17-2014, 07:03 PM
when your dealer doesn't know about any problems and say's your bike does not run hot but BRP say's it runs hotter than it should, than the dealer becomes out of the loop for me

SNOOPY
02-17-2014, 07:18 PM
If I was having the issues some on this site were having, I'd go to the source too.

Chupaca
02-17-2014, 07:26 PM
I do believe most go to the dealer first. Sometimes the dealer fights for you sometimes they only say they have dealt with brp. You nay have seen the amount of threads dealing with dealers. There are very few dedicated dealers for brp products and they have more going on with other brands and types. Tech's are more dedicated to the bikes they ride as those off brands like spyders...in some cases folks have gotten better results going to brp direct. But you are right, you should first work with your dealer and then move on up....:thumbup:

Pennyrick
02-17-2014, 07:34 PM
go directly to BRP when problems arise. Why do you not have your dealer fight your battle(s)? I am genuinely interested.

Doug:

I believe it is because the BRP dealer network in the USA is so weak. There are some very strong dealers situated throughout the country but in some areas we have owners who are 50 to 100 miles away from their nearest dealer. In other areas we have multiple dealers but experiences of buyers (and others), have driven owners away from them if problems develop that aren't handled quickly, correctly or, handled at all.

To my knowledge there are no BRP company stores and I don't believe there are any dealers who handle the BRP line exclusively. So it isn't like visiting your local Ford or Chevy dealer for some satisfaction where the dealer and product are closely aligned. Most BRP dealers (with some notable exceptions) can do quite well on their Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis, Victorys and Triumphs and kind of treat the Can Am products as a small add-on that can become a PITA if something goes wrong.

I suspect that dealers sometimes have as much difficulty in dealing with BRP as some of the frustrated owners that post stuff on SpyderLovers do.

In my case, I think my dealer (Mountain Motorsports) is great. I have purchased seven motorcycles/ATVs from them including three Spyders. My dealings with BRP have also been excellent. I had problems with my 2011 RT that were handled well by Carlo Viola when he was with them and then later by Chrystelle LaChance. Based on my experiences I am amazed at some of the stuff that has happened to folks that I read about on this site.

jcthorne
02-17-2014, 07:38 PM
I went to the dealer first. The dealers are clueless and have no desire to get a clue. The bike is sold and BRP does not pay enough for warranty work to make a profit therefore there is no incentive to do so. BRP's dealer network is VERY weak and poorly supports the product. There are exceptions, just wish one of them was much closer to Houston.

JKMSPYDER
02-17-2014, 07:48 PM
Yes, there are a few dealers that deal exclusively in BRP products. I was lucky enough to find Extreme Propulsion in Cartersville, GA. They sell and service only BRP products. They have treated me great after I bought my '13 ST-S there last year. I can't say enough about D K Ledgerwood the owner, his wife Sharon, Sean and Paula on the floor, and Jessie the certified tech. I have no complaints. They are a first class outfit IMO.

xcopnyc
02-17-2014, 07:53 PM
I took my 2012 RTL in for a leak. Dealer told me nothing was leaking. Two days later I called again & spoke to the service mgr. who lives near me. He stopped at my house on his way home from work & could tell by the spots on my garage floor the problem water pump. Dealer did a good job.

So Many Roads So Little Time:yes:

Questions
02-17-2014, 07:58 PM
Is there a Post / list somewhere of US Spyder dealers and how they are rated perhaps in terms of Service? Though I am looking in NH / Northern Taxachusetts, really I could purchase ANYWHERE as long as I get the bike / price I am looking for. BUT SERVICE on it is KEY. Especially since I have very poor mechanical skills.:sour:

JKMSPYDER
02-17-2014, 08:08 PM
Ask Deanna777. She lives in VT. Maybe she could recommend a good dealer in the area.

Can-Again
02-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Perhaps a list would help. The dealer I purchased my ST-S hadn't done the 2013-8 recall to mine when they sold it to me last month(even though it is a federal offense to do so) I had asked specifically about having the recall work done before I purchased it and was told that it was completed. Needless to say I won't go back to them or the other 2 local dealers(for other reasons).
I drove 1 1/2 hours to go to ASK Powersports in Grove City, OH. They treated me great. Explained everything, completed it while I waited, and thanked me for my business. I highly recommend them and will purchase from them from now on.

Ed

MidTNDawg
02-17-2014, 08:38 PM
For many years, I have bought my cars at the dealer where I would get the best service. Prices can be negotiated so there is little difference. And if I am not going to get service, I don't care about low price. Often multiline dealers, and this includes motorcycles, have more clout with the mfr because they are not dependent on one line. The mfr has several ways to "punish" a dealer other than pulling their contract.

If the dealership does not go to bat for the customer, if they do not carry the most used parts, if they do not have factory trained techs, why in the world would you buy from them? And I mean all of these traits.

Another thing, every customer represents a higher percent of the dealer's customers than their percent of the Manufacturer's customers.

I am sorry some are unable to depend upon, trust your dealer. And no, BRP does not have the network they should, but I feel some should be finding another dealer. It is the dealers job to represent the customer, make them do it. Much more could be said, but I think this is enough.

flaggerphil
02-17-2014, 10:52 PM
Good question! :shocked:
This points to another issue:
Do you trust your dealer to have your best interests at heart, when things go "pear-shaped" on you? :dontknow:

I've found mine to be completely trustworthy, fortunately. Of course, it's my second dealer...the first was not...

ARtraveler
02-17-2014, 11:33 PM
I am also in the camp believing that the dealer should be the first to go to when a problem arises. Others have mentioned that there are a few dealers who just don't care, and don't want to help with a problem. Some dealers have been less than truthful from the start. Some of these dealers are no longer selling :spyder2:'s. It is important that you have a dealer that will go to bat for you in the event an issue requires intervention from BRP. You can get help as to where the good dealers are by just asking on the site. There was a list--but I am not sure if it has been kept current. Information a year or so old, is not necessarily good.

The bad dealer situation can happen with any product--but we do hear a lot about it on this site.

3 Wheel Addict
02-17-2014, 11:45 PM
I think for the most part the dealers out there do very well for regular service but fail when the heat gets turned up. A lot of people are getting tired of hearing the same old stuff that is used to move you along on your way, sayings like "they are all that way" or "it's performing at factory standards" gets to be old hat. I for one have been preached these sayings from the dealer as well as the BRP customer service. I know on my previous trips to my dealer about the 13 heat issues my salesman kept telling me that I'm the only one complaining about the heat on my 13 RT/S but the parts people have told me there are people waiting in line to get the latest recall done for the heat.... how can that be if I'm the only one?? When your dealer comes through with that kind of help your best bet is going to be the factory or so you hope.

dndfindley
02-17-2014, 11:59 PM
Perhaps a list would help. The dealer I purchased my ST-S hadn't done the 2013-8 recall to mine when they sold it to me last month(even though it is a federal offense to do so) I had asked specifically about having the recall work done before I purchased it and was told that it was completed. Needless to say I won't go back to them or the other 2 local dealers(for other reasons).
I drove 1 1/2 hours to go to ASK Powersports in Grove City, OH. They treated me great. Explained everything, completed it while I waited, and thanked me for my business. I highly recommend them and will purchase from them from now on.

Ed

I purchased my first Spyder a few years ago from a dealer not that far from you in Findlay, OH, located on I-75. I live in TN but after doing research on Cycletrader no one could touch the deal offered by American Powersports in Findlay. I drove the 8 hrs to Findlay in my F-150 with a trailer. The product was as advertised and they honored the deal. They then asked me to stay an additional two hours so they could do the recall on the DPS and for my wait they bought me lunch. I trailered it 8 hrs back home and never had a problem with it (2009 GS).

den1953
02-18-2014, 11:16 AM
That's my local dealer!! Yes he is good, the service is great and he'll deal. I've bought 3 motorcycles from him, a 2003 Yamaha Royal Star Venture, a 2007 Yamaha Roadliner "S", and a 2012 Victory Cross Country. When I do go to my first Can AM Spyder, he'll be the one selling it to me. Yes I think he's that good!!

anthony422
02-18-2014, 11:23 AM
My Dealer in upstate NY... a joke, will only help you if they aren't busy or it wont cost them a nickle :gaah: I questioned the heat issue and feel i was black listed once the sale was made.......next

Jeriatric
02-18-2014, 11:41 AM
When to contact BRP - their guideline.

http://www.brp.com/en-us/customer-service

Magdave
02-18-2014, 11:53 AM
When to contact BRP - their guideline.

http://www.brp.com/en-us/customer-service

I have a technical question. Should I call BRP?
Your authorized BRP dealer is the first line in answering technical questions. If you’ve already contacted your dealer and they were not able to provide a satisfactory response to your question, you can contact BRP and we’ll find an answer for you.

And that is why many quit asking the dealer they have no answers.....but then ask BRP a tech question they tell you to see a dealer. Circle Jerk at it's finest. :banghead:

Harvey
02-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Doug:

I believe it is because the BRP dealer network in the USA is so weak. There are some very strong dealers situated throughout the country but in some areas we have owners who are 50 to 100 miles away from their nearest dealer. In other areas we have multiple dealers but experiences of buyers (and others), have driven owners away from them if problems develop that aren't handled quickly, correctly or, handled at all.

To my knowledge there are no BRP company stores and I don't believe there are any dealers who handle the BRP line exclusively. So it isn't like visiting your local Ford or Chevy dealer for some satisfaction where the dealer and product are closely aligned. Most BRP dealers (with some notable exceptions) can do quite well on their Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis, Victorys and Triumphs and kind of treat the Can Am products as a small add-on that can become a PITA if something goes wrong.

I suspect that dealers sometimes have as much difficulty in dealing with BRP as some of the frustrated owners that post stuff on SpyderLovers do.

In my case, I think my dealer (Mountain Motorsports) is great. I have purchased seven motorcycles/ATVs from them including three Spyders. My dealings with BRP have also been excellent. I had problems with my 2011 RT that were handled well by Carlo Viola when he was with them and then later by Chrystelle LaChance. Based on my experiences I am amazed at some of the stuff that has happened to folks that I read about on this site.
We purchased our 2013 RT Ltd from Lake Norman Power Sports in Cornelius, NC because they handle only BRP products. They do not service any other products of any type, only BRP. They are also a small minority owned business of a lady and her two daughters. We have been very happy with them.

Bob Denman
02-18-2014, 01:08 PM
I will always go to the dealer first...:thumbup:
While doing a LOT of online research at the same time... ;)

If and when discrepencies arise; that's when I'd look to BRP for answers.

bruiser
02-18-2014, 01:40 PM
The company I worked for manufactured and sold specialized equipment. We, as techs, were factory trained. When a new tech was hired he attended two weeks training at the factory, then follow on training with an established rep. We also attended yearly meetings for business updates and new equipment training. We were also able to make decisions on warranty, but if ever there was a question, we had our own warranty department to default to. We carried high use parts on our service trucks which were automatically ordered by a program on our computers. All trucks were equipped with computers that were linked with the mainframe at our main office. Yes, we did have issues with parts sometimes being backordered, or receiving the wrong parts. That was maddening. The company is worldwide. We had 600 techs in North America alone. The old "we service what we sell" was true with our company.