PDA

View Full Version : Accessory Fuse Panel-

bluestratos
02-17-2014, 10:52 AM
Here is the accessory fuse panel I designed for the Spyder 14, it mounts in the left side access panel where the old oil reservoir used to be. I has 3 relays, 10 accessory fuses that go hot when the bike is running and 4 hot all the time. I am feeding this from the alternator lug which is the common wire to the battery +. Since the bike is comprised of 4 major modules (1-motor and frame, 2-frunk, 3-dash and 4-rear trunk) I include disconnects at each. The fuse assembly has a water tight cover as well.

Signal wires to the relays are 16 gauge, key controlled fuses are 14 gauge and 2 of the four hot fuses are 12 gauge. The main feed is 10 gauge for accessory, the hot all the time fuses have individual runs to the source.

This is just the first step of course, from the main 6 and 20 terminal disconnects I will be running groups of wires as need to various modules, again each will have its one disconnect so any module can be removed by simply disconnecting the appropriate harness exactly as the manufacture has done.

I will try to get some pictures as the work progress.

Randy3

nhoj
02-17-2014, 12:03 PM
Since the bike is comprised of 4 major modules (1-motor and frame, 2-frunk, 3-dash and 4-rear trunk) I include disconnects at each. The fuse assembly has a water tight cover as well.

Really nice job. What is the make of that fuse/relay panel ??
John

eddieshep999
02-17-2014, 02:03 PM
For those new Spyder owners esp those getting the 2014 model and about to start to add all those electrical extras
Look at this as it does not require any fuses

PDM60 Digital Power Distribution Panel with USB Programming Cable

Quick Overview

State of the art digital circuit breaker module protects all of your electrical gadgets without fuses. Easy and fast installation!

See their website :-

http://www.rocketmoto.com/index.php/rowe-electronics-pdm60-power-distribution-module-digital-circuit-breaker-panel.html

bluestratos
02-17-2014, 03:26 PM
The panel is made by Bussman sold by Dell City. I seen many prefabricated panels and if a person is intimidated or, does not the time then they are great even if not the perfect fit. I like to design my own systems for a multitude of reasons, i.e. to fit a certain location, to mix and match fused circuits as needed, to ensure I have enough fuses to control all my needs, to fully understand my wiring layout, and to include relays and diodes as I see fit.

Wiring gives me great pleasure as well, I used to wire hotrods for shows and boats for people that wanted it done right. I was always well compensated for my labor as well which never hurt. The on thing I have learned is to never cut a corner as sooner or later problems will occur that can drive you nuts or cause a lot of damage.

Yup.. so much fun to be had :-)

bluestratos
02-24-2014, 12:55 PM
Here are some shots of my fuse panel installed on the 14. As you can see it fits nicely in the left side access panel so if I have to access a fuse it requires no tools. In one picture you can see the new Bad Boy horn I installed via a short alum. bracket. This allows it to bolt back into the original location for the stock horn. The larger relay you see is for the horn and it is triggered by the original horn switch and fed by a 20 amp hot all the time circuit. I have 4 hot all the time fuses, 10 ignition controlled fuses and 3 more relays, one of which is controlled by the yellow wire you see that taps off of a wire that is only hot with the bike running and is protected with a diode to prevent spikes from the relay.

The red block is a 50 amp quick disconnect, followed by a master fuse which taps the alternator wire that goes to the battery. Once I had it all done every thing tucks away cleanly, I just left things out for the pictures. The little black box takes the 6 guage wire and allows me to run power to the fuse panel.

The fuse block comes off with 2 screws and the relay that makes 3. I can remove the entire relay by disconnecting 3 main connectors as well. This way the bike can be torn apart for any service without cutting wires. From here any wires that go to one of the main bike modules with also have quick disconnects so I can, say, remove the frunk or dash with a simple disconnect

DJFaninTN
02-24-2014, 01:03 PM
nice job :thumbup:

bluestratos
02-24-2014, 10:08 PM
I moved my 6 fuse to the #7 location today and got my power outlet in the rear trunk to go hot so I can now trickle charge again :-)