PDA

View Full Version : Risers vs. bars

COSpyder
08-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Can anybody who has raised their bars, either with a riser or new bars such as the kewl metal bars, weigh in on the differences once they have ridden a few miles with the new mod? I know Lamonster loves his risers, how about someone with the bars, or others with risers? I know the MM risers aren't in yet, but other have fabricated their own. I am just curious how much they change the riding position and if they help much.

Lamonster
08-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Besides telling you what you already know I can tell you that all but one guy loved the feel of the new risers and could tell just by sitting on the bike that it makes a huge differance. I don't see how the Corbin backrest would even work without a riser or bar pullback. I would have never made a 1200 mile day ride without mine.

ataDude
08-08-2008, 08:36 AM
And, I have the Kewl Metal set-up. The first was the 5" rise handlebars with the 1" BRP riser. Yesterday, I added the 7" handlebars and removed the BRP riser for a net gain of 1".

Keep in mind, the original handlebars had some rise... about 3" to my aging eyes. The 7" bars without the BRP riser pretty much max the throttle cables out on a full left turn.

I absolutely love the up-and-back arrangement. It provides a more upright riding position which my back needs. My estimates are that 7" bars provide a 3" up, and 3" back position.

Between the bars and the aftermarket seat, I'm sitting "in" the bike rather than "on" it.

Good stuff.

Lamonster
08-08-2008, 09:01 AM
And, I have the Kewl Metal set-up. The first was the 5" rise handlebars with the 1" BRP riser. Yesterday, I added the 7" handlebars and removed the BRP riser for a net gain of 1".

Keep in mind, the original handlebars had some rise... about 3" to my aging eyes. The 7" bars without the BRP riser pretty much max the throttle cables out on a full left turn.

I absolutely love the up-and-back arrangement. It provides a more upright riding position which my back needs. My estimates are that 7" bars provide a 3" up, and 3" back position.

Between the bars and the aftermarket seat, I'm sitting "in" the bike rather than "on" it.

Good stuff.

That's some good info. To me it feels more like a cruiser than a fourwheeler now. :doorag:

bigdave18629
08-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Keep the info coming, this is good stuff!! I am 6' 7" and am trying to make up my mind on a seat, risers, and highway pegs. Nothing is comfortable at stock when you are my height.

LaughingHeart
08-08-2008, 09:56 AM
I also have the Kewl 7" pull back bars with the 1" riser block. The bars are now up and pulled toward me allowing me to sit upright when I ride. I need that to relieve my back, and my arms. It is working great for me. Next is a custom seat for me, this one is way too hard!

Brandy
08-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Can someone please post a pic of the pull back bars?

Thanks!

ataDude
08-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Can someone please post a pic of the pull back bars?

Thanks!

Click here:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=42913&postcount=35

Brandy
08-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Is there such a thing so that I can keep the stock center console? Not to be rude, but I like the looks of the stock console better but am looking for a lot more "rise" in the bars.

bjt
08-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Is there such a thing so that I can keep the stock center console? Not to be rude, but I like the looks of the stock console better but am looking for a lot more "rise" in the bars.

Then you need the NoMagicNeon risers, like lamonster has.

dltang
08-08-2008, 08:31 PM

That is what Evan from nomagicneon is selling. They are a riser that allows you to keep your center console. He is going to try to get them shipped out next week I believe. Once I get mine installed, I will post photos. I am sure that I will enjoy my ride even more than I already do once I have these risers.

Brandy
08-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Do you know if the Kewlmetal riser will pull the bars back a bit?

bjt
08-08-2008, 11:56 PM
I believe that the bars can be rotated in the Kewlmetal center piece. However, their system requires that you replace the Spyder stock center piece. Are you changing your mind about keeping the stock center piece?

Brandy
08-09-2008, 11:01 AM
No, I still want to keep the stock center console. Just trying to figure out how to make the ryde more comfortable because I don't get very far down the road before the burning starts in my neck and shoulders.
Thanks for all your input!

dltang
08-10-2008, 12:41 AM
No, I still want to keep the stock center console. Just trying to figure out how to make the ryde more comfortable because I don't get very far down the road before the burning starts in my neck and shoulders.
Thanks for all your input!

Brandy, another thought for you. When I was having problems with neck and shoulder pain and burning, I went to a lighter helmet. I never realized how heavy my helmet was until I started shopping for a different one. I now have the HJC Carbon Fiber and it has made a huge difference in how I feel, especially after a longer ride. Of course I am sure the risers are going to be great and make the ride even better.

Brandy
08-10-2008, 10:01 AM
A new helemet....that's a good thought, but there's now way my hubby will let me get another one, I already have 3...hehe. Just got a new one this year. I do have a carbon fiber one, but it doesn't have a face shield. I had it when I had my Shadow, but it had a windshield and my Spyder has the stock shield, so there's not enough protection for me to go open face.

But yes, a higher riser will definitely help.

ataDude
08-10-2008, 10:08 AM
A new helemet....that's a good thought, but there's now way my hubby will let me get another one, I already have 3...hehe. Just got a new one this year. I do have a carbon fiber one, but it doesn't have a face shield. I had it when I had my Shadow, but it had a windshield and my Spyder has the stock shield, so there's not enough protection for me to go open face.

But yes, a higher riser will definitely help.

Based on your description, I'll bet either riser will do the job. In addition to "up", you also need to move the bars "back" a bit... in my case, about two inches back was the magic number.

The ideal riding position for me is more upright, with the elbows slightly bent when my hands are on the bars. I'll bet it's the same for you.