PDA

View Full Version : Air filter

va2djd
02-16-2014, 09:34 PM
Does any body have info about air filter or air box? New K&N filter? Or Bajaron Type? For 1330 ace

ulflyer
02-17-2014, 08:33 AM
This might open a can of worms for K&N owners so I've put my flame retardant suit on, but some years ago I read a comprehensive test (no, I don't recall where I read this) comparing K&N with various other types, pleated paper like is usually used in OEM's, and oiled foam. I had been using K&N's in my vehicles and bikes untill then. The test showed that pleated paper was the best, oiled foam second, and K&N last. K&N gets their claim of more power from the fact that it lets in more air thru its porous material.

More air, more dirt. I don't use them anymore.

OTOH, I doubt any of us will keep our bikes long enough for it to make a difference, so if it makes you feel good to use K&N, then do so, as thats really all that matters. :D

ulflyer
02-17-2014, 07:30 PM
I have read the article. The test was done with a Mazda Miata and was fairly well controlled. I believe it lives on Bob Is The Oil Guy website.

On the flip side, I run a K&N in my 2 stroke KTM250exc dirt bike, but have removed the K&N from my 2010 Tacoma. Found like others, the Tacoma can be prone to picking up small amounts of filter oil onto the mass air sensor.

All that said, I was having a look at the 1330 and will likely buy a K&N for the Spyder.

PK

If you find one that fits the 1330 I expect others will be interested as well.

jcthorne
02-17-2014, 07:35 PM
This might open a can of worms for K&N owners so I've put my flame retardant suit on, but some years ago I read a comprehensive test (no, I don't recall where I read this) comparing K&N with various other types, pleated paper like is usually used in OEM's, and oiled foam. I had been using K&N's in my vehicles and bikes untill then. The test showed that pleated paper was the best, oiled foam second, and K&N last. K&N gets their claim of more power from the fact that it lets in more air thru its porous material.

OTOH, I doubt any of us will keep our bikes long enough for it to make a difference, so if it makes you feel good to use K&N, then do so, as thats really all that matters. :D

Agree completely. Ford sold quite a number of replacement turbochargers on diesel pickups thanks to the poor filtration of K&N Filters. Modern synthetic media pleated disposable air filters are much more efficient than the older paper ones, there is no longer a significant improvement in air flow going to the oiled gauze filter than there once was. K&N is in the same category as Slick 50, fuel line magnets and those split end v-power spark plugs. The only improvement in performance is the lighter weight in the owners wallet. Reduction in lifespan of the engine is easily measured in increased silicon in the oil analysis. Just say no.

ldlexpress
02-18-2014, 08:45 AM

I guess someone should have told my 2001 Goldwing. I put 250,000 miles on it. Had a K & N filter from day one. Engine never burned oil and had never been apart when I sold it. Cheers, Larry

ulflyer
02-18-2014, 11:00 AM
I guess someone should have told my 2001 Goldwing. I put 250,000 miles on it. Had a K & N filter from day one. Engine never burned oil and had never been apart when I sold it. Cheers, Larry

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: You could probably have run kerosene instead of gas and no air filter at all and still got that much miles on it. Those critters just won't quit. :D

ldlexpress
02-18-2014, 03:13 PM
Probably true. However I put 80000 on a 76 Honda 550, 90000 on a 79 Honda 750, 100,000 on a 86 Yamaha Venture Royal all running K & N filters. Not to mention my 66 Chevelle Malibu convertible that I raced for 3 years. Anyway they have worked well for me. Cheers, Larry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD