PDA

View Full Version : DPS PROBLEMS ON 2010 RT AC

Bmac
02-16-2014, 06:38 PM
I have been getting orange light DPS problem so I tried pulling codes by pushing the three buttons at once. I got a PO551 and PO552 Does anyone know what this problem is and what I can do to correct it ? THANKS

spyderbirds
02-16-2014, 06:52 PM
2010 shop manual lists the service action for both of these codes is "External troubleshooting not possible. Replace DPS"

Do these code go away or reset?

When do you get them?

I would however start by double checking battery voltage and connections at battery and ground before I replaced DPS.

NancysToy
02-16-2014, 07:00 PM
Was your DPS ever replaced under the recall? If not, it should be. If it was already replaced and you do not have an extended warranty, I'm afraid it will be on your dime. In either case you need to see your dealer ASAP. The original DPS problems could cause loss of steering control in some cases.

Spydel
02-16-2014, 08:12 PM
The spyder error code lookup table I have shows P0551 as DPS Torque sensor open and P0552 as DPS Torque sensor shorted to gnd.

Chupaca
02-16-2014, 08:29 PM
The best is have it checked out. They will be able to tell you by vin# if it was changed as well as what may be wrong with it now. It may just be an adjustment I hope so... :thumbup:

NancysToy
02-16-2014, 08:37 PM
Replacement of the steering torque sensor (or magnet) alone may be possible, but the DPS unit should be replaced if the recall work was never done.

Bmac
02-16-2014, 09:43 PM
Replacement of the steering torques sensor (or magnet) alone may be possible, but the DPS unit should be replaced if the recall work was never done.

The dealer I bought my spyder is no longer selling spyders.But the new dealer I am working with now shows that it was changed out while I owned it . But I did not get anything saying it was. Do you think the new dealer can tell if it has been changed because I don't think it was. I do have extended warranty so I should be able to get it fixed. THANKS

SpyderAnn01
02-17-2014, 02:09 AM
The dealer I bought my spyder is no longer selling spyders.But the new dealer I am working with now shows that it was changed out while I owned it . But I did not get anything saying it was. Do you think the new dealer can tell if it has been changed because I don't think it was. I do have extended warranty so I should be able to get it fixed. THANKS

The part may have some kind of numbering that would identify it but I wouldn't worry with the extended warranty you should be okay.

Bmac
02-17-2014, 08:52 AM
Was your DPS ever replaced under the recall? If not, it should be. If it was already replaced and you do not have an extended warranty, I'm afraid it will be on your dime. In either case you need to see your dealer ASAP. The original DPS problems could cause loss of steering control in some cases.

Will rideing with your foot on the brake pedal have anything to do with the DPS system ? Seems like I read this some where but cannot find it now.

bruiser
02-17-2014, 10:29 AM
Riding with your foot on the brake pedal will give you limp mode, not DPS code. Get thee to the dealer.

NancysToy
02-17-2014, 03:00 PM
Will rideing with your foot on the brake pedal have anything to do with the DPS system ? Seems like I read this some where but cannot find it now.
Riding with your foot on the brake will result in limp mode, and sometimes reuslts in VSS and DPS warnings, but it will not yeild those fault codes.

Cambello
02-26-2014, 07:00 AM
Riding with your foot on the brake will result in limp mode, and sometimes reuslts in VSS and DPS warnings, but it will not yeild those fault codes.

Taking on board all that has been said above, and just to move to another angle on this. If the voltage going to the DPS unit is so critical and cleaning the electrodes can reduce these faults from occuring, where should you take your readings from when installing a volt meter when removing the fuel gauge for an alternative? If by placing the cables to the battery you get a direct reading of the TRUE VOLTAGE, that might not be the reading you would be getting by taking a reading somewhere else. And surely the purpose of a Volt Gauge is to understand what is the true voltage to the instruments,
So rather than have a Volt Gauge and a Clock on your dash would it not be better to have a Volt gauge and an Amp meter?
Just a thought!!!

macgyver 55
05-10-2014, 10:07 PM

I have problem with my 2010 rts just had code at dealer when it went they said it was shorted to ground the torque steering control what was the recall and was my bike in the recall dealer said the steering box is very expensive Can I ride this bike with out power steering or will it throw me in the ditch ????

macgyver 55
05-11-2014, 12:18 PM
where do i find out about this and is my bike included 2010 rts