PDA

View Full Version : Install Ken's race filter and fuel pressure mod.

spyder13
08-07-2008, 09:00 PM
I installed Ken's race air filter and fuel pressure modifire today. Haven't riden yet but will tomorrow. Idles good rev's guick. If anybody orders the kit be sure to order the gauge too. I didn't and tried digital tire gauge. won't work. I borrowed one from work to set fuel pressure. Sure looks clean when the plastic covers are off now.

Bimjo
08-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Just out of curiosity, how much noisier is the intake over the stock airbox? I realize you haven't ridden it yet, but an initial impression and then a post ride impression would be appreciated. :)

bigdave18629
08-11-2008, 01:11 PM
I would be interested in knowing what type of performance gains you experience. I have an aftermarket pipe now and am debating about buying the normal filter replacement or the racing filter and fuel pressue regulator. May even wait a little while and see what come out for reprogramming the computer.

spyder13
08-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Ok I have had a chance to ride it. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a difference in performance. It pulls a lot harder up to and above the power band. There is some noise to put up with. Not a bad thing though. Sorta sounds like the cold air set up on the import cars. Not hard to do. worth the money and time to add to the Spyder.

NEXUS
08-11-2008, 07:22 PM
I installed Evoluzione's Fuel Pressure Modifier kit and the Race Airflow System this past weekend.

As far as the new intake sound I like it. It does growl a little when you get down on it.

All I can say is WOW jest like spyder13 it made a huge difference all the way through the power curve.

This really surprised me. I did about 150 mile test this weekend pulled the plugs out few times
to see how they looked- ended up with 62 lb of fuel pressure.

Even the cruise control going up to the mountains it never lugged like it used to to keep up to the desired
setting it just stayed at the setting and powered through quite a different feel.

Another thing that I noticed with that huge airbox gone I have noticed a slight reduction
in the engine temperature bars. I wouldn't say it's drastic but it makes a difference.

This was so far the best upgrade yet I'd like to know how much horsepower this added to the engine?

At least it may seemed substantial, I would've liked to have done and engine dino test before and after just to see.
(After bypassing the Nanny of course)

It was like my Spyder was half asleep and now it's Wide Awake. http://www.can-amtalk.com/forums/uploads/post-830-1218408883.gif

Nexus :2thumbs:

BOHICA
08-13-2008, 05:18 PM
i just installed evo's race filter and fuel pressure mod...haven't had a chance to road test yet.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee177/kenbelt/M0010381.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee177/kenbelt/M0010380.jpg

bigdave18629
08-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Wow, two people raving about the mods and it looks good too. Too bad you can't see it with the covers on.

Any worries about the Nanny or any backfires?:2excited::congrats::yes:

Lamonster
08-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Looks good. I may do something like this down the road. I want to see what you guys think a month from now. :spyder:

Oldfart
08-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Sounds like a great mod, have you had a chance to check the fuel consumption as yet. I could not live with a big increase in running costs but I suppose you cannot have it both ways.....

Questions
08-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Ok, thats it. now you got my attention where do I find this Evoluzione's fuel pressure kit and race airflow system?

BOHICA
08-14-2008, 03:20 PM
here ya go... http://www.evoluzione.net/

bigdave18629
08-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Did you use the O2 sensor as well or just the intake and fule pressure set up? what pipe are you running?

spyder13
08-15-2008, 09:41 PM
I have Ken's o2 modifier. I am running a Micron Carbin fiber right now. Going to try my LeoVince back on with baffle out to compare

bigdave18629
09-15-2008, 09:57 AM
OK you have had some real riding time now, what do you think of the mods? Are they worth the money?

spyder13
09-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Yes worth the money. No more hesitations,popping or surging or sputtering. Has great improvement on accelleration. I can get 30 maybe 31 MPG if I can stay out of the throttle. The only thing to warn you about is the noise. Not bad to me but might annoy some.

AMTJIM
09-15-2008, 03:44 PM
I may have missed the description, but whats the hose that comes with it...Oil breather?

bigdave18629
09-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Yes worth the money. No more hesitations,popping or surging or sputtering. Has great improvement on accelleration. I can get 30 maybe 31 MPG if I can stay out of the throttle. The only thing to warn you about is the noise. Not bad to me but might annoy some.

Thanks, noise is probably not an issue for me this is a toy not a cross country machine for me.

boogllasti
09-15-2008, 06:22 PM
I've been running the whole setup (o2 Mod, Race Airflow, Fuel Mod, Hindle) for about a month now - and the difference is frankly AMAZING. :thumbup:

My off the line starts are almost scary now!

The throttle response is so smooth throughout the whole range - it is a totally different bike.

Pros:

Runs smoother
Runs Cooler
Runs faster
No more oil in airbox
No more airbox
Easy Access

Cons:

You have to cut the stock regulator in half.
Noise - it is MUCH louder.

I highly recommend using a Dremel to cut the regulator - and clean her up well afterwards! I'll be ordering a replacement stock regulator just to have around in case the need arises to switch back to the stock setup.

I have this thing about being able to return my Spyder back to stock if I ever want (or need) to - think warranty issues.;)

I'm also going to make an insulated box to surround the new filter, with large cold-air vents feeding it from both sides of the Spyder. Picture a Y shaped device with the filter being at the bottom of the Y and the cold air intakes feeding from the tops of the Y.

That should cut down on the noise - and get cold air into the system.

For the performance minded rider - these mods are a MUST have.

I'm also considering getting a Veypor VR2 so I can get an idea of just how good the Spyder is doing.

Sopher
09-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Silly question: Can you show me a pic of the regulator that needs to be cut in half?

boogllasti
09-16-2008, 11:04 PM
I can't show you a photo, but if you go to http://evoluzione.net/evo-cycle.htm you can see one.

Go to Instructions and scroll down. Fuel mod under Can-Am.

If you also look in the photo someone posted here, the fuel regulator is the part that has the black 'topper' part on it with a vent tube feeding into it.

bigdave18629
09-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Are you going to add scoopps to the top of the side panels to get the air in the way Lamont did or are you planning something else?

boogllasti
09-17-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm going to do something very similar to what he did. I had a buddy modify some carbon fiber vents for me - but he didn't quite understand what I wanted and they are too large to fit.

I found some boat vents similar to the ones that Lamont used that might work.

I'm building a Y-shaped airbox to separate the upper portion of the engine compartment from the lower and then have whatever vents I install feed into the upper box portion - which will contain the race airflow setup.

Part of my reason for this is to get cool air in, and part is to quiet things under the hood down a bit.

spyder13
09-17-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm working on trying to use the fog light holesfor cold air inlets. Have a good idea. Will post when I finish.

one2doo
09-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Looks Great let us know how it works?:congrats:

DragonSpyder
09-19-2008, 07:47 PM
Just finished the Race Airflow kit and Fuel pressure modifier.

I just picked a Fuel pressure somewhere in the middle of the range others are using. The good news is "THE SURGE IS GONE". The low end is so much more responsive and my pipe is clean for the first time since getting the machine. I do not notice much additional noise from the airbox being removed. If you have a pipe then the noise is not an issue.

I'm not sure if it's alot faster but it is much more driveable and responsive. You can take my windshield, backrest, pipe and heck you can even take my seat off before this is coming off my Spyder.

I'm located near Rochester, NY. If you are local and need a hand with this mod I would be more than happy to help out.

spyder13
09-19-2008, 09:43 PM
After adding tubes from fog light holes to air filter it got even stronger. Raced a V-ROD today 2 times on street. First time rode his a** through 3rd gear and was dead even,he could not pull away from. 2nd time from light he jumped first , I wasn't ready but went anyway same thing through 3rd gear neither could pull on each other. I quit after 3rd gear to many cops around in the area all the time. i thought it was preaty good staying with a V-ROD.

ratspyder
09-21-2008, 10:53 AM
I also live in deltona fla. , would like to meet up with you to see mods. thanks ratspyder.

jeuchler
09-21-2008, 02:28 PM
After adding tubes from fog light holes to air filter it got even stronger...

spyder13

As one :doorag: law-abiding citizen to another, could you post some photos of the tubing set up from the fog light holes? I'm considering this mod based on all of your recommendations above.

It is pretty cramped in there...I'd like to see the routing that worked for you.

spyder13
09-21-2008, 05:05 PM
I just have a temp set up right now. Waiting on parts I ordered to make it perminet. 2 1/2 inch tubing and elbow hare to find.

DragonSpyder
09-21-2008, 09:28 PM
I was looking at the filter tonight and I think the best way to get air to it is under the headlights. If you cut slits under the lights you won't need tubes to get it to the filter as it will flow directly onto the filter. May want to put in something to close it off incase of rain though. I may try this and will report back.

Sopher
12-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Any new info on this mod? Pictures?
Cold air intake tubes?

details please!

SpyderDog65
12-06-2008, 11:09 AM
I wonder if I added these items if it would make me new venom exhaust not back fire anymore ? It don't backfire a lot mostly when its cold really and I freakin love the badass sound it makes over that stock piece of crap it sounds hella sweet when u downshift it almost sounds like a pair of rienharts lol. And I think it added a bit more hp, cause it sure made a difference in the way it gets off :)

Red se5 6spoke rims,1inch riser,venom exhaust by motad,mono seat cover, carbon fiber se5 bar inserts,kurykyn grips w/throttle boss,kurykyn pegs,nmn trypleplay taillights,nmn fender tips,gel seat pad

Donzo
12-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Wow, two people raving about the mods and it looks good too. Too bad you can't see it with the covers on.

Any worries about the Nanny or any backfires?:2excited::congrats::yes:

I am just glad that the motor is not complicated and full of hoses...:doorag:

LDFIREWORKS
12-06-2008, 11:17 PM
SOUNDS GOOD PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT:cheers:

Spyderman62
12-07-2008, 10:13 AM
maybe a dumb question, but here goes. I like the look of the Race Airflow kit and Fuel pressure modifier, but am wondering if the gains indicated will be noticed without changing my pipe or messing with the o2 sensor. Thinking alng the lines of thought that the ecm is still operating with the factory parameters, ie o2 sensor, pipe, back-pressure, coolant temp and so on, would just the Race Airflow kit and Fuel pressure modifier make enough difference to justify the cost? Also, is the miledge drop if at all, significant? Thanks in advance

Greg H.
12-09-2008, 09:31 AM
I'm giving consideration to this intake system, as well. I'm thinking that if I buy this, I might add the Fuel Pressure Modifier Kit at a later time. Will there be much of a difference? Or; is that an essential part to this system?

Thanks!!

DragonSpyder
12-10-2008, 08:09 PM
I installed mine all at the same time. However, I have backed off the pressure to stock setting and it runs fine. I have also put the O2 sensor back in and it runs good. Running the Race filter without an aftermarket exhaust would work fine as well.

If you add the pressure modifier you will notice the Spyder pulls harder as you up the pressure. If you run the O2 sensor blockoff it starts to get a bit too rich on the low-end above 60Lbs. However, if you leave the O2 sensor in you can run the pressure much higher and it pulls harder on top.

5280 spyderman
12-10-2008, 09:34 PM
I put this Kit on my Spyder last July and all I can say is that it will eat up a H-D V-Rod and a BMW R1200RT. It does make a lot of clatter but wow on the go side.
Bill in Denver

Lamonster
12-11-2008, 07:03 AM
I wonder if there were any flow numbers produced for this setup. There's only so much air the throttle body's will suck and I can't see it being a dramatic difference in flow compared to Ken's free flowing stock replacement. Was there a comparison to his free flowing filter?

Even so the air that you are pulling now is as hot as can be and would not be near as dense. I've shot temps with my gun as high as 230 degrees under there. This setup with a cold air feed would do much more for you than just getting rid of the airbox. If you could get ambient air to the throttle bodys that would be the ticket. :doorag:

DragonSpyder
12-11-2008, 08:15 PM
I have ran mine without the plastic on and there was not a noticeable difference. Once the airbox is removed there is not only more room for the air to circulate but the air from the front scoops gets pushed towards the filter.

The best solutions would be to cut some holes under the headlights as they are directly in front on the filter. You would probably want to put in a slide of sorts in case of rain.

Lamonster
12-11-2008, 08:24 PM
I have ran mine without the plastic on and there was not a noticeable difference. Once the airbox is removed there is not only more room for the air to circulate but the air from the front scoops gets pushed towards the filter.

The best solutions would be to cut some holes under the headlights as they are directly in front on the filter. You would probably want to put in a slide of sorts in case of rain.

If you have a temp gun shoot the inside and tell me what your air temp is. There is no way that it's even close to ambient. I've talked to the BRP guys about this and they said that their testing showed as much as 230 degrees under that cowling. They used a temp prob while driving.

Here's some good reading for you tech guys. http://www.rscycles.com/tech_articles/air_density.htm

kliff
01-12-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm working on trying to use the fog light holesfor cold air inlets. Have a good idea. Will post when I finish.

Sooooooo, :nopic: