PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak

Desert Spyder
02-15-2014, 10:59 PM
My 2010 RT sprung an oil leak on the right side where I had to get a tow. It stunk real bad, the LOW OIL orange display came on. I wonder if its the water pump shaft seal. I hear thats a popular item lately. Anybody else have the same problem?

Of course, the 2014's can't have oil leaks either. Can they? hehehehe

Jeriatric
02-15-2014, 11:03 PM
How many miles on the clock?

NancysToy
02-15-2014, 11:04 PM
Sounds like the oil pressure sending unit. The warning is low oil pressure, and the sender is on the right front of the engine. Oil passing back to the muffler or exhaust pipe creates the stink. Simple fix, relatively inexpensive. If you have added an aftermarket oil pressure sender and gauge, they often break, resulting in a bad leak there an no oil pressure being sensed. The OEM senders have been known to blow out or break, as well as weep, too.

Blue Star
02-15-2014, 11:19 PM
My 2012 had an oil leak from the water pump, but not as bad as you described. I was able to ride it, and just add as needed. Had to put a flat cardboard box under to keep the oil from staining the cement, as the spot was about an inch or two round.

Desert Spyder
02-15-2014, 11:49 PM
How many miles on the clock?
42,000+ Jerry

Desert Spyder
02-15-2014, 11:51 PM
Sounds like the oil pressure sending unit. The warning is low oil pressure, and the sender is on the right front of the engine. Oil passing back to the muffler or exhaust pipe creates the stink. Simple fix, relatively inexpensive. If you have added an aftermarket oil pressure sender and gauge, they often break, resulting in a bad leak there an no oil pressure being sensed. The OEM senders have been known to blow out or break, as well as weep, too.

Scotty, I simply knew you would send the encouraging word.

Desert Spyder
02-16-2014, 03:09 PM
Good news! I pulled the plastic fired her up and the oil was leaking from the oil pressure sending switch. A $12 part. Didn't know anything was that cheap on BRP. But it can stop a $30,000 machine. How many people have had this same problem I wonder?

NancysToy
02-16-2014, 03:33 PM
Good news! I pulled the plastic fired her up and the oil was leaking from the oil pressure sending switch. A $12 part. Didn't know anything was that cheap on BRP. But it can stop a $30,000 machine. How many people have had this same problem I wonder?
It's not too common, but it has been reported a few times. It seemed to be more prevalent up through 2010 than with more recent production years.

DrewNJ
02-16-2014, 05:05 PM
Makes sense being at the sender. It wouldn't be spewing or blowing from the water pump shaft seal as there is no real oil pressure on that area of the case. It would just drip from any oil slung by the internal gear on the end of the shaft.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Gordy
02-16-2014, 08:52 PM
I have had to replace 2 oil pressure sensors on my 2010 rts in 52000 kms

Desert Spyder
02-16-2014, 11:26 PM
I have had to replace 2 oil pressure sensors on my 2010 rts in 52000 kms

Two??!!

Desert Spyder
02-20-2014, 12:07 AM
Replaced the oil pressure sender switch today. Over two hours to take off and replace the tupperware, a side trip to get the proper socket: 15/16 to put the new one on, 21 mm to take the old one off...way to go BRP, 3 minutes to replace the switch. Now what to do with the extra bolts. Checked the oil: its full. What????!!!!

Jeriatric
02-20-2014, 02:04 AM
:thumbup: Good to hear you're runnuing again, as well as adding to your tool collection. Gotta love it....:roflblack:

NancysToy
02-20-2014, 01:05 PM
Replaced the oil pressure sender switch today. Over two hours to take off and replace the tupperware, a side trip to get the proper socket: 15/16 to put the new one on, 21 mm to take the old one off...way to go BRP, 3 minutes to replace the switch. Now what to do with the extra bolts. Checked the oil: its full. What????!!!!
Oil leaks usually look a lot worse than they are, in terms of volume. Oil will try to spread to a layer a molecule or two thick, so a little goes a long way. It would be surprising if an oil leak at the sender lost a vast quantity...unless the sender actually broke off. The "LOW OIL" warning means low oil pressure, not low oil level. It is not surprising that your level is still OK.

Desert Spyder
02-20-2014, 10:58 PM
Oil leaks usually look a lot worse than they are, in terms of volume. Oil will try to spread to a layer a molecule or two thick, so a little goes a long way. It would be surprising if an oil leak at the sender lost a vast quantity...unless the sender actually broke off. The "LOW OIL" warning means low oil pressure, not low oil level. It is not surprising that your level is still OK.

You are quite correct Scotty. I would rather see a puddle of antifreeze than a teaspoon of oil under the bike. I just remember some of the clunkers I drove around leaking oil. My wifes dad was a professional mechanic and he had puddles of oil, transmission fluid, etc under his truck and he didn't seem too excited by it.

Oil sure spreads all over the bike at 70 mph.

NancysToy
02-21-2014, 07:44 AM
You are quite correct Scotty. I would rather see a puddle of antifreeze than a teaspoon of oil under the bike. I just remember some of the clunkers I drove around leaking oil. My wifes dad was a professional mechanic and he had puddles of oil, transmission fluid, etc under his truck and he didn't seem too excited by it.

Oil sure spreads all over the bike at 70 mph.

My dad was a master mechanic, too. He always said "Oil is cheap, overhauls cost money." (Those were the days.) Having been raised on a steady diet of Brit bikes (and a few V-twins), oil leaks don't worry me much.....unless they spew oil on the rear tire. :roflblack:

Desert Spyder
02-21-2014, 09:50 AM
Back in the day recycled Valvoline ruled the day. Lol. Synthetic? Never heard of it.

NancysToy
02-21-2014, 01:39 PM
Back in the day recycled Valvoline ruled the day. Lol. Synthetic? Never heard of it.
:roflblack: Back in the days when I was in college I had a '54 Chevy with a leaky rear seal. It would lose a gallon or two of oil a week commuting up a big hill to school, between what it burned and what it leaked. I worked at a gas station, so I either used re-refined oil at 10 cents a gallon, or scavenged the drainage from the cans we used for oil changes to get me by. That stuff didn't even have a uniform viscosity rating, much less additives or synthetic anything. BTW, that old six banger didn't even have an oil filter...they were optional back then. Thanks for the memories.

Gordy
02-21-2014, 07:06 PM
Two??!!

I carry a spare now

Dan_Ashley
02-21-2014, 10:58 PM
:roflblack: Back in the days when I was in college I had a '54 Chevy with a leaky rear seal. It would lose a gallon or two of oil a week commuting up a big hill to school, between what it burned and what it leaked. I worked at a gas station, so I either used re-refined oil at 10 cents a gallon, or scavenged the drainage from the cans we used for oil changes to get me by. That stuff didn't even have a uniform viscosity rating, much less additives or synthetic anything. BTW, that old six banger didn't even have an oil filter...they were optional back then. Thanks for the memories.
sometime in the middle part of the last century When I was first in college, I had an almost worn out little 2 door import car. The thing developed an over-active oil pump and woul blow oil out of the dip stick tube. I couldn't afford to fix it, so I took a couple of hose clamps and a section of old garden hose and attached the hose to the dip stick tub and to a hole I drilled in the oil cap. I no longer had oil blowing out of the engine, it just re-routed itself back into the engine. I drove it like that for about two years--maybe 25,000 miles. The car finally committed suicide when the engine froze up completely. Maybe I should have studied auto mechanics instead of statistics....

Desert Spyder
02-22-2014, 12:06 AM

:yikes::yikes::yikes: Don't forget the toilet paper filters

NancysToy
02-22-2014, 07:24 AM

They were aftermarket or optional. My $50 Chevy was strictly as-delivered, OEM. Most of those accessory filters were not full-flow filters anyway, they only received a portion of the oil flow, from a tee in the line...fairly usless, except for wiping your butt.

Dan_Ashley
02-22-2014, 10:18 PM

they still sell them: http://www.frantzoil.com/catalog/item/4746217/8215268.htm