PDA

View Full Version : ??? SPARK PLUG ???

SPYD3R
02-14-2014, 02:42 PM
OK, let's talk SPARK PLUGS.....
with 38,000 on mine, i feel it's time to replace them...
is there any one spark plugs that is better than the rest? :hun: or are they all mostly the same when it comes to the ROTAX engines....??? :ohyea:
suggestions are welcomed... :chat:
thx.... :thumbup:

boomerkc
02-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Go to BajaRon's page from the Forum page and he'll give you the information you're looking for, you can buy and he'll ship ASAP to you.

Jim

SPYD3R
02-14-2014, 02:59 PM
Go to BajaRon's page from the Forum page and he'll give you the information you're looking for, you can buy and he'll ship ASAP to you.

Jim

thx Jim;
ok, BAJA RON has two:
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs for All Spyders
DCPR9EIX (Colder Plug) - RS/GS/RSS - $17.00 a set Delivered
DCPR8EIX - (Hotter Plug) - All RT's (Can be used in all Spyders) - $17.00 a set Delivered
of the two above - which is better: COLD or HOT...??? and WHY is that...?

price is right, and NGK is an excellent plug... but is there any1 out there that has another suggestion...? different brands maybe...

Chupaca
02-14-2014, 03:03 PM
Iridium plugs are the way to go. There are others and cheaper but you have a rather sofisticated engine why risk plug failure...:thumbup:

BajaRon
02-14-2014, 03:28 PM
thx Jim;
ok, BAJA RON has two:
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs for All Spyders
DCPR9EIX (Colder Plug) - RS/GS/RSS - $17.00 a set Delivered
DCPR8EIX - (Hotter Plug) - All RT's (Can be used in all Spyders) - $17.00 a set Delivered
of the two above - which is better: COLD or HOT...??? and WHY is that...?

price is right, and NGK is an excellent plug... but is there any1 out there that has another suggestion...? different brands maybe...

Many people have the wrong idea about "Hotter" vs "Colder" spark plugs thinking that Hotter means a Hotter more powerful spark. Strength of spark is about how much of the energy produced by the coil actually reaches the center electrode of the spark plug and has little to do with the temperature range of the spark plug (all things being equal).

The heat range of the spark plug simply tells you how much heat is retained by the spark plug as opposed to how much heat the spark plug sheds off to the cylinder head. So a hotter spark plug simply remains hotter than a colder spark plug.

The rule of thumb is to run the coldest spark plug you can get away with and not have fouling issues. One reason BRP went to the hotter spark plug in the RT, and later to all models in 2013, is that there were many riders lugging their RT engines. This lugging caused fouling of spark plugs. A hotter plug resists fouling better than a colder spark plug. It's easier to change the heat range of the spark plug than to get owners to ride their Spyder as designed.

Though you can run the hotter plug in any non-ACE 1300 Spyder, I recommend running the colder plug in the 2008-2012 GS/RS/RSS Spyder unless you tend to lug your engine. Then I recommend not lugging your engine.

SPYD3R
02-14-2014, 07:04 PM
Many people have the wrong idea about "Hotter" vs "Colder" spark plugs thinking that Hotter means a Hotter more powerful spark. Strength of spark is about how much of the energy produced by the coil actually reaches the center electrode of the spark plug and has little to do with the temperature range of the spark plug (all things being equal).

The heat range of the spark plug simply tells you how much heat is retained by the spark plug as opposed to how much heat the spark plug sheds off to the cylinder head. So a hotter spark plug simply remains hotter than a colder spark plug.

The rule of thumb is to run the coldest spark plug you can get away with and not have fouling issues. One reason BRP went to the hotter spark plug in the RT, and later to all models in 2013, is that there were many riders lugging their RT engines. This lugging caused fouling of spark plugs. A hotter plug resists fouling better than a colder spark plug. It's easier to change the heat range of the spark plug than to get owners to ride their Spyder as designed.

Though you can run the hotter plug in any non-ACE 1300 Spyder, I recommend running the colder plug in the 2008-2012 GS/RS/RSS Spyder unless you tend to lug your engine. Then I recommend not lugging your engine.

Ron;
i ride at high RPM's.... nothing less than 4000... i'd like to know: how often should these plugs be replaced? would it be by miles, or by time...?
Dan P

Bob Denman
02-14-2014, 07:20 PM
Get yourself the "colder" plugs from Ron... :thumbup:
You'll be VERY happy with the outcome! nojoke

retired1
02-14-2014, 07:56 PM
If you are still using the original wires, I'd also order a pair of Ron's wires.

fastfraser
02-14-2014, 09:33 PM
If you are still using the original wires, I'd also order a pair of Ron's wires.

:agree: Trying to get the boots off the plugs you will damage the wires for sure. Get the BajaRon wires and plugs.:thumbup:

BajaRon
02-14-2014, 09:58 PM
Ron;
i ride at high RPM's.... nothing less than 4000... i'd like to know: how often should these plugs be replaced? would it be by miles, or by time...?
Dan P

Replace them by miles. Unfortunately, so few have worn out a set of the IX Iridium spark plugs that I still do not have a good feel for when they need to be replaced. My estimate is that they will last at least 30k. But my guess is that many have gone farther that this.

pellcitypete
02-15-2014, 08:53 AM
Replace them by miles. Unfortunately, so few have worn out a set of the IX Iridium spark plugs that I still do not have a good feel for when they need to be replaced. My estimate is that they will last at least 30k. But my guess is that many have gone farther that this. Thanks for the info. :thumbup: I didn't know the difference between hot & cold. I friend once told that a day you learn something new is a day not wasted. Thanks to you an others I have few wasted days :thumbup:

pellcitypete
02-15-2014, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the info. :thumbup: I didn't know the difference between hot & cold. I friend once told that a day you learn something new is a day not wasted. Thanks to you an others I have few wasted days :thumbup: P.S. love your sway bar & helm links.:2thumbs:

bruiser
02-15-2014, 11:34 AM
How to tell the difference between a hot and cold plug. Hot plugs have a shorter ceramic insert. Conversely, colder plugs have a longer insert. That insert is the part that actually touches the metal threaded portion of the plug, not the insulation nose. High powered electronic ignitions can put out as much as 100,000 volts at the plug tip.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/image/chartheatratingflowpath-2.gif

SPYD3R
02-15-2014, 12:46 PM
How to tell the difference between a hot and cold plug. Hot plugs have a shorter ceramic insert. Conversely, colder plugs have a longer insert. That insert is the part that actually touches the metal threaded portion of the plug, not the insulation nose. High powered electronic ignitions can put out as much as 100,000 volts at the plug tip.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/image/chartheatratingflowpath-2.gif

Bruiser;
thx for this info.... good to know....
and thx for your 20 yrs service... :bowdown: most appreciated... :thumbup:
Dan P
Easley, SC

bruiser
02-15-2014, 05:32 PM
You are welcome on both counts sir.