PDA

View Full Version : New Utopia Back Rest

ulflyer
02-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Back rest has been installed by Utopia and is on the way back. I sent it to them on Monday for R&D and today is Friday. Thats quick service. Will be here by tuesday and by then our 6" of snow should be gone. :D Picture is a little dark but it looks like a nice match of the gray.

Cruzr Joe
02-14-2014, 01:51 PM
Is it adjustable?

price?

thanks

cruzr joe

ulflyer
02-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Joe, its adj forward and back with a set screw that you can reach back and adj as you ride; I do that on long hauls to give my back a position change. It can manually be adjusted up some if you prefer with holes in the metal bars. I ask him to set mine all the way down as I need max support in my lower lumbar. Even with that I usually wear a kid belt padded in the back.

Look up his web site: Utopia.com

There is diff prices depending on cover material. Vinyl like mine is about $239 I think. Mine was a freebie as it was used for him to R&D the brackets for the '14. :D

Magdave
02-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Back rest has been installed by Utopia and is on the way back. I sent it to them on Monday for R&D and today is Friday. Thats quick service. Will be here by tuesday and by then our 6" of snow should be gone. :D Picture is a little dark but it looks like a nice match of the gray.

Very :doorag: The first official aftermarket Farkle for 2014 owners and you knew it would be Utopia ( sorry Ron you almost beat him :thumbup: but you are still in developement right?) an it looks great and adds adjustability that doesn't exist with BRP's. Now for the price....... You know it will be much less than $500. I love mine.

Magdave
02-14-2014, 03:56 PM
One tip I have is my Utopia seemed to wobble a little left and right no matter how tight the screw was between the height adjustable pieces. What I did to fix it was 1 small piece of double sided adhesive between the 2 pieces and tighten. It is solid as a rock now.

ulflyer
02-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Very :doorag: The first official aftermarket Farkle for 2014 owners and you knew it would be Utopia ( sorry Ron you almost beat him :thumbup: but you are still in developement right?) an it looks great and adds adjustability that doesn't exist with BRP's. Now for the price....... You know it will be much less than $500. I love mine.

I'm guessing about $239 for one like mine. Heres the web site but prices are not posted yet for the '14: http://www.utpr.com/

cognaccruiser
02-15-2014, 11:23 AM
I've had Utopia back rests on 2 bikes and they have always been great. Good quality and good service and their prices are realistic. Good to know they have developed one for the new Spyder.

Gary

spyderbirds
02-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Good to know the Utopia is now available for the new seat!

ulflyer
02-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Just looked and he has some info and price list:

http://www.utpr.com/spyderrt14.html

Cruzr Joe
02-15-2014, 06:08 PM
look at the photos and read the instructions carefully. :dontknow:

Cruzr Joe

ulflyer
02-15-2014, 06:26 PM
look at the photos and read the instructions carefully. :dontknow:

Cruzr Joe

What doncha know? Maybe I can explain?

spyder-dude
02-15-2014, 06:55 PM
Very nice! Utopia is a great company and yes that was fast!

Cruzr Joe
02-15-2014, 07:01 PM
What doncha know? Maybe I can explain?

Not anything for sure, going to try the factory one on someone else's Spyder first, not sure about the cut in the seat, with the factory back rest you can reclose the hole if you decide to.

Now mind you, I had the Utopia on my other Spyders and really liked them, so I am not saying anything bad about them, but want to try one from the factory first.

Cruzr Joe

Tango
02-15-2014, 07:36 PM
With the 2014 RT, do they make the backrest to slide in? Like the stock backrest. :pray: Their site doesn't say. :hun: Tom :trike:

spyder-dude
02-15-2014, 07:39 PM
I bought the stock BRP backrest for my 2014 and returned it because it is too far forward for me and wasn't adjustable. Also it retails for $449 compared to the utopia which is $269. I loved my previous utopia.

Cruzr Joe
02-15-2014, 08:37 PM
I bought the stock BRP backrest for my 2014 and returned it because it is too far forward for me and wasn't adjustable. Also it retails for $449 compared to the utopia which is $269. I loved my previous utopia.

Exactly why i want to try the factory one first, some love it some don't, not sure which one i will be.:roflblack::roflblack:

Cruzr Joe

SpyderAnn01
02-15-2014, 11:15 PM
They had the 2014 seat when they made the backrest, right? That is a picture of the 2014 RTS seat with the Utopia backrest on it. I love that the Utopia is two toned, unlike BRPs which is only in black. But I liked the BRP as it is larger and seemed to hit me in just the right spot. I had a Utopia on my old Spyder and it always seemed to hit me in the wrong spot.

I do love the price on the Utopia compared to BRP.

ulflyer
02-16-2014, 08:19 AM
They had the 2014 seat when they made the backrest, right? That is a picture of the 2014 RTS seat with the Utopia backrest on it. I love that the Utopia is two toned, unlike BRPs which is only in black. But I liked the BRP as it is larger and seemed to hit me in just the right spot. I had a Utopia on my old Spyder and it always seemed to hit me in the wrong spot.

I do love the price on the Utopia compared to BRP.

Ann, Tango: the pic on his web site is my seat that I sent out for him to R&D. He felt he couldn't use the underneath attachment that BRP built into the seat as it was patented so he used the same type brackets he's used all along, including cutting a slot just behind the tab that is on the seat, to install his bar; mainly because if he used the existing BRP holes it would make his seat sit too far forward because of the way it attaches to the backrest. This sounds clear as mud doesn't it? Hard to explain. Will let you all know next week how it works as its on the way and should be here tuesday.

stevedfive
02-16-2014, 10:21 AM
BRP makes a two tone backrest. Someone here posted a pic of theirs.

Cruzr Joe
02-16-2014, 11:04 AM
BRP makes a two tone backrest. Some on here posted a pic of theirs.

:agree:, yep, they sure do. They make solid or multi colored.

Cruzr Joe

SpyderAnn01
02-16-2014, 11:48 AM
:agree:, yep, they sure do. They make solid or multi colored.

Cruzr Joe

Where did you find this? The catalog only shows solid black for the driver. Yes, the passenger backrest is two toned.

jcthorne
02-16-2014, 12:49 PM
Just make sure to check you shipment from Utopia carefully that all the parts and pieces are included. Don't wait until you try to install it. Now my bike sits waiting for Utopia to send the rest of the parts to install our backrests.

Magdave
02-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Just make sure to check you shipment from Utopia carefully that all the parts and pieces are included. Don't wait until you try to install it. Now my bike sits waiting for Utopia to send the rest of the parts to install our backrests.

Missing one plastic piece is not going to stop you from mounting it. It can be added later.

stillriding
02-16-2014, 03:46 PM
Where did you find this? The catalog only shows solid black for the driver. Yes, the passenger backrest is two toned.
​The black/grey backrest is listed as grey. I have one on a Spyder that hasn't been ridden yet!

ulflyer
02-16-2014, 04:19 PM

JC....thats my seat show on their web site. The backrest is already installed for me. I've had excellent, and fast, emails with Bob, owner of Utopia. Whats missing on yours?

jcthorne
02-16-2014, 06:12 PM
Bob already emailed and told me the same thing Magdave did. Install the back rest now and he will send me the boots this week. Easy to install after the fact. Sorry, I was just a bit frustrated on multiple Spyder fronts this weekend. Folks here helped. Love the back rest!

harrypottar
02-16-2014, 09:05 PM
Bob is a great guy to work with, he made me some custom hush, hush things which I'm not allowed to take about. I have his utopia on my 12 and love it. I put the removable bracket on so that when my wife's rides with me it gives her more room.

Bob will work with you to get what ever you need done...:thumbup:

Harry

ulflyer
02-17-2014, 07:29 AM
Talked again with Bob at Utopia and he's decided on a different and easier way to install the backrest using the existing hole and different underneath mounting brackets. I think it can most likely be done without removing the seat. This will make it a real easy install.

HOWEVER, (Isn't there always a "however"?) he needs another seat to work out the plan he has in mind.

If any of you want to send your seat to him and possible get a good discount....thats up to you and him to work out...send him an email.

I have no gain from any of this other than I find him to be a nice guy who accommodated my needs and I'd like to return the favor.:D

Cruzr Joe
02-17-2014, 09:50 AM
I can't do without my seat so i cant send it but i think he is on the right track to make something work with the recloseable hole that is already there, i will be interested to see what he comes up with.

cruzr joe

ulflyer
02-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Here's what it looks like installed. Pretty poor picture as sun was too bright today.

Cruzr Joe
02-18-2014, 08:37 PM
One more thought that you might want to pass on to Utopia

The BRP Backrest can not be detached unless you can open the seat, good safety item ( the release is under the seat.)

Last year at Owners Event in Maggie Valley someone got their backrest stolen at the event.

Cruzr Joe

Cruzr Joe
02-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Here's what it looks like installed. Pretty poor picture as sun was too bright today.

That looks a lot better than the first picture :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe

ulflyer
02-19-2014, 06:25 AM
That looks a lot better than the first picture :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe

I pass on your comments Joe. Don't know whether he's planning a quick release or not. Mine isn't and I wouldn't want it to be. Heres a better pic of my bike that Bob doctored up and put on his web site:

http://www.utpr.com/spyderrt14.html

Bob Denman
02-19-2014, 08:44 AM
Looking GREAT!!! :2thumbs::clap::firstplace:
Noew for the questions... :opps:
Does the Utopia backrest use the OEM mounting holes in the seat?
I see that they are matching the current seat colors only; do they have other colors available?
(Thinking about finding a way to add some Cognac color to the OEM seat... and backrest! ;))

SpyderAnn01
02-19-2014, 08:47 AM
Darn, I just shipped off my last extra seat before I read this. :sour: I would have gone for this as I love big discounts! Now if only the seat that the Post Office lost in January would show up I could go for it.

Cruzr Joe
02-19-2014, 09:21 AM
I see that they are matching the current seat colors only; do they have other colors available?
(Thinking about finding a way to add some Cognac color to the OEM seat... and backrest! ;))

Bob

Put your glasses on and read from the beginning. The first one of these they did cut a hole in the seat, after some comments and suggestions the new one that they want to try will be through the existing hole with the replaceable cap.

Cruzr Joe

Cruzr Joe
02-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Darn, I just shipped off my last extra seat before I read this. :sour: I would have gone for this as I love big discounts! Now if only the seat that the Post Office lost in January would show up I could go for it.

Ann:

You had a spare 2014 seat (the one with the hole) ???

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
02-19-2014, 11:06 AM
Bob

Put your glasses on and read from the beginning. The first one of these they did cut a hole in the seat, after some comments and suggestions the new one that they want to try will be through the existing hole with the replaceable cap.

Cruzr Joe
That's where I was getting confused... :shocked:

I THOUGHT that's what I was reading... it just wasn't sinking in all that well today... :opps:

Wednesdays... and it's snowing again back here too! :gaah::cus::gaah::cus:

Cruzr Joe
02-19-2014, 02:30 PM
That's where I was getting confused... :shocked:

I THOUGHT that's what I was reading... it just wasn't sinking in all that well today... :opps:

Wednesdays... and it's snowing again back here too! :gaah::cus::gaah::cus:

Sorry .............................. It's 62 degrees here. :shocked:

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
02-19-2014, 02:33 PM
:gaah: I'm starting to NOT like you... :gaah:
4 inches more "white misery", got laid upon us today... :shocked:
Mother Nature sure needs her butt kicked; that's for sure! :banghead:

Cruzr Joe
02-19-2014, 02:36 PM
:gaah: I'm starting to NOT like you... :gaah:
4 inches more "white misery", got laid upon us today... :shocked:
Mother Nature sure needs her butt kicked; that's for sure! :banghead:

:yikes:, i am a retired cop not a weather maker.

Don't shoot the messenger. and all those other good sayings :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Cruzr joe

Bob Denman
02-19-2014, 02:48 PM
:shocked: I'm thinking of forgetting about the Limited, and picking up a couple of snowmobiles this Saturday...
That way it'll stay 75, and sunny... FOREVER! :shocked:

ulflyer
02-19-2014, 03:12 PM

Bob, mine doesn't use the OEM holes, but he's now decided he wants to re-engineer the bracket so that it does. This means he needs another seat to work with. This is a good opportunity for some of you in the frozen north to send him your seat!

I assume until then, he will provide brackets like is used on mine which, for me fits perfectly and look pretty much like the bracket I had on my '11 with a Utopia. I rode 150 miles with it today and wouldn't change a thing.

As to color, he says send a snipping off the underside and he can match it. Assume he's referring to those seats with other colors, but I would expect he'd accommodate you if you have a specific color in mind.

Bob Denman
02-19-2014, 03:15 PM
Thanks! :thumbup:

stevedfive
03-01-2014, 11:30 AM
Ordered one for the '14 today. :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
03-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Ordered one for the '14 today. :thumbup:

The one that uses the OEM hole or the one that you have to cut a hole in the seat for??

Cruzr Joe

stevedfive
03-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Well, the website says is a simple bolt on. If it's the cut the seat install and he is not going to make a bracket for the existing holes, then I will have it made for myself to use with the utopia backrest.

Cruzr Joe
03-01-2014, 05:59 PM
Well, the website says is a simple bolt on. If it's the cut the seat, I will just send it back and wait for the other one to come put.

I agree, don't want to cut another seat. Post some photos when you are done.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
03-01-2014, 08:09 PM
What is the pricing on these backrests for the 2014 models?

stevedfive
03-01-2014, 10:48 PM
$250

Bob Denman
03-02-2014, 10:18 AM
:shocked: Wow! That'd be a couple of sawbucks saved for another farkle... :thumbup:
(Authorized; of course! :D)

Tango
03-02-2014, 12:54 PM
:shocked: Wow! That'd be a couple of sawbucks saved for another farkle... :thumbup:
(Authorized; of course! :D)

I agree, Utopia it will be. :firstplace: Tom :trike:

Bob Denman
03-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Friday; right?? :thumbup: :D

Cruzr Joe
03-03-2014, 02:05 PM
i also will go with the Utopia if it uses the original Hole in the seat.

Cruzr Joe

ulflyer
03-03-2014, 02:40 PM
i also will go with the Utopia if it uses the original Hole in the seat.

Cruzr Joe

Joe, email him and ask. I know he was looking for another seat to engineer to use the existing slot rather than having to cut the seat behind the slot like mine. For me tho, it worked out great as it gave me a bit more butt bumper which provides better lumbar support for my particular issue.

stevedfive
03-03-2014, 02:52 PM

I just got an email from Bob (Utopia). His new bracket uses the existing hole and you don't have to remove the seat to do the install. It uses the existing four nuts in the bottom of the pan. He sent me some pics and it looks real good. Very, very happy with the purchase. Can't wait for it to arrive. So order up, ladies and gentlemen. The longer you wait to order, the longer you wait for the backrest.

lwrydr
03-03-2014, 03:21 PM
I have a Utopia backrest that I got from a guy on here. I had it installed by a upolstery shop because I did not want to cut the seat myself. Cost me $40 bucks for that.
I took it off today because around town I sometimes ride 2-up and it does not leave enough room for some passengers. I am going to go look for some sort of quick
release bolt thingy for it. When I go on trips I will put it back on.

pwilbarger
03-03-2014, 04:27 PM
I have a Utopia backrest that I got from a guy on here. I had it installed by a upolstery shop because I did not want to cut the seat myself. Cost me $40 bucks for that.
I took it off today because around town I sometimes ride 2-up and it does not leave enough room for some passengers. I am going to go look for some sort of quick
release bolt thingy for it. When I go on trips I will put it back on.

Utopia has quick-out bracket as an option. The install is pretty easy. The hardest part is getting the bolts aligned with the bracket holes with the seat on.

https://www.utpr.com/moreitems.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stevedfive
03-07-2014, 12:23 AM
The Utopia backrest for my '14 RTS was shipped today! :yes:

Bob Denman
03-07-2014, 08:24 AM
:congrats: We'll just need to see the proof of it, once it's on your bike! :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
03-07-2014, 08:55 AM
The Utopia backrest for my '14 RTS was shipped today! :yes:

Gotta have a photo or it ain't real :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
:bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq:
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
03-07-2014, 09:02 AM
:agree: :nopic: :D

bodymanpainter
03-07-2014, 10:15 AM

I just got an email from Bob (Utopia). His new bracket uses the existing hole and you don't have to remove the seat to do the install. It uses the existing four nuts in the bottom of the pan. He sent me some pics and it looks real good. Very, very happy with the purchase. Can't wait for it to arrive. So order up, ladies and gentlemen. The longer you wait to order, the longer you wait for the backrest.

Just ordered ours last night, should ship on March 17th.

lookerjdc
03-07-2014, 07:27 PM
I am waiting for a call from Utopia

I called them yesterday and spoke with then regarding purchasing just the backrest pad (don't need mounting hardware as I already purchased an Ultimate TallBoy seat for my 2014 RTS but I don't really like their backrest, BUT, Ultimate does sell a mounting kit for the Utopia backrest to fit on their seat so..... )

now I just need to hear back from Utopia about the cost of purchasing just the pad.....

stevedfive
03-13-2014, 12:54 PM

Only took 15 mins to install. Wow!

Bob Denman
03-13-2014, 12:58 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_55.gif :2thumbs:

lookerjdc
03-14-2014, 10:40 PM
I got a return call from Utopia and they have agreed to sell me just the backrest (without all the hardware that I don't need since Ultimate Seats has a bracket to allow the installation of the Utopia backrest)

:yes::yes::yes:

my Ultimate Tall Boy 2 tone seat and the Utopia backrest

a heavenly ride is coming

:yes::yes::yes:

Bob Denman
03-16-2014, 05:18 PM
:congrats: :nopic:when it arrives? :2thumbs:

stevedfive
03-27-2014, 03:56 PM
installed

Bob Denman
03-27-2014, 05:24 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_55.gif lookin' pretty darn nice!! :2thumbs:

lookerjdc
04-09-2014, 06:18 PM

thats the Utopia backrest on my new Ultimate seat

not too shabby and very comfortable

spyder-dude
04-09-2014, 08:20 PM
Where did you get the adapter to mount the utopia on the Ultimate seat? I need one!!!!!!!

lookerjdc
04-10-2014, 06:53 AM
Ultimate sells them

so I traded back in my Ultimate back rest, bought the adapter from Ultimate, and then called Utopia and pleaded with them to sell me just the pad, not mounting hardware and they (Utopia) were kind enough to sell me just the pad

spyder-dude
04-10-2014, 08:11 AM
Actually I found out that if you already have the ultimate backrest you can just unmount the adapter and put onto utopia. :)

lookerjdc
04-10-2014, 09:37 PM
Actually I found out that if you already have the ultimate backrest you can just unmount the adapter and put onto utopia. :)

well.... that just might open up a new sales option for Utopia/Bob....