PDA

View Full Version : RECEIVED BRP RACK AND BACKREST

spyderbitten
08-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Got the rack and backrest installed last night. GF sat on :spyder:, said

it felt good, but it was to late for a ride. Will test it out tonight.

I personally, am quite dissappointed in this particular accessory.

Fit and finish is not what i expect from BRP. No amount of adjusting gets

the play out of the backrest. I resorted to 2 stick on vinyl bumpers

(used on cabinet doors) to get the backrest to firmly latch in the rack

with no play. At over $700 this should not be neccessary. There are two

slip in brackets with nuts welded on them that slide into slots and then

the bolts go through the rack and bolt to the frame. One of these nuts

had no threads cut into it. Mind you, the nuts are welded to a bracket,

so you can't just use another nut. On top of all this it still only comes

in silver. Looks crappy on my yellow :spyder:. For $700 I wish I would have

spent it elsewhere, but the GF can ride safe now and that's my main

concern. Everyone thinking about this rack/backrest try to get a look

at one b-4 you order.

BRPjunkie
08-07-2008, 11:09 AM
I know I have posted this before, but everyone with a sport rack/backrest needs to know that with it on, you can't remove the inside lens torx screws when you need to replace the tailight bulbs. Unless you can squeeze your hand into a very narrow opening to get out the bulb holder and bulb, you have to remove the rack to change a light bulb. That is another design defect that should not happen in a $650 accessory. Dealer installed my rack and whatever problems he encountered I don't know, but there is no play in mine and the design makes passengers very secure (ask my 82 year old mother) and changing from backrest to luggage rack in less than 30 seconds is a nice feature.

bjeffrey
08-07-2008, 11:37 AM
I installed the rear rack and also had problems. Besides the installation directions, 2 of the nuts attached to the slide in plate where angled so the bolts would not go in :cus:. I eventually got 1 in okay but the other was forced in.

The parts are a bit pricey but other than that I am happy; the backrest is tight, it comes off easy enough, and most important my :bowdown: wife is alot more comfortable.

PE2817
08-07-2008, 03:26 PM
You can replace the tailights bulbs with the rear rack in place. It is harder to do, but is possible. I have done it.

BAZMAN
08-07-2008, 05:22 PM
i ordered the rack and backrest from RPM Motorsports in Denver. it was scratched, and looked kind of "Rube Goldberg" to me, so i sent it back the was great they gave me all my money back plus shipping. my personal opinion is if we all sent them back they would probably make something better. so i am waiting for someone to make one with chrome, and be able to use the backrest and rack at the same time. sorry it should read dealer was great.

BRPjunkie
08-07-2008, 07:41 PM
I agree, you can replace the bulb if you have a small hand or very long fingers as I had to do it. I just think that anyone with a sport rack needs to check out the bulb replacement before they have to do it so that they wiill know what is in store. It is not an easy task.

mrb
08-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Be happy with $700 we pay $1200:dontknow:

effgjamis
08-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Be happy with $700 we pay $1200:dontknow:

Hummm I wonder what the money exchange rate is??
Au vs US ......

docdoru
08-12-2008, 05:13 AM
1.00 AUD = 0.87 USD
1.00 USD = 1.15 AUD