PDA

View Full Version : How to install the kuryakyn ISO grips

finless
02-13-2014, 02:07 AM
More farkle today.

I decided to try another way to install these which turned out MUCH easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJTF1mGsh8M

Enjoy,
Bob

Y Rider
02-13-2014, 07:25 AM
Looks like an easier method of install for these grips. :thumbup: Did you use the 6180 model of Kuryakyn grips?

DR Buck
02-13-2014, 09:23 AM
Great idea about splitting the rubber first. Wish I had thought of that. I'm afraid the packing peanuts might deteriorate and collapse. A better option is to put something solid in there. I used wood. I took my hole saw and cut a 1" circle of 2x4 and then cut it to length, I then wrapped it with vinyl electric tape to make it snug. Since then I came up with even an easier idea. Just cut a piece of 1"PVC pipe and wrap it with electric tape.

finless
02-13-2014, 09:34 AM
I kind of pre-collapsed the packing peanuts and packed in more than you think :)
I was going to make something but got lazy. Great idea about the PVC pipe!

They are not 6180 but KUR-6183. Made for the Goldwing GL1800.

Bob

DJFaninTN
02-13-2014, 01:31 PM
surprised you didn't add the Throttle Boss on the ends. I kind of like the way it looks and finishes it off.

MouthPiece
02-13-2014, 02:29 PM
I see you had tennis shoes this time instead of flip flops. <smile> Seriously, Bob, you produce a very good DIY for all of us. It is greatly appreciated. Job well done.

Chris

Purple Guy
02-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Great Vid Bob, Thanks for posting that for us!

GRIPMAN
02-14-2014, 01:52 AM
More farkle today.

Enjoy,
Bob
video Bob.
Joseph

DR Buck
02-14-2014, 09:13 AM
surprised you didn't add the Throttle Boss on the ends. I kind of like the way it looks and finishes it off.

I added the throttle boss and a pair of the Kuryakyn helmet locks to my installation.

finless
02-14-2014, 12:19 PM
I did add the helmet locks but am confused on the throttle boss. I don't see what it is used for?
The grips are so long and I keep my hand as far inside as you can so I would not even be able to reach the boss.
But what is it's purpose? Sorry to sound dumb on that but I don't get it's purpose especially when we have cruise control?

Bob

coz
02-14-2014, 04:41 PM
good job on the video bob. it would be mostly pointless when you have c.c. not having c.c. myself, i use a crampbuster, throttle rocker on my throttle, which is the same thing as the throttle boss. the throttle boss looks really good with those grips though.:thumbup:

rick_w
02-14-2014, 05:31 PM
More farkle today.

Enjoy,
Bob

Great idea on splitting the rubber inserts. Since these are designed for a Gold Wing they are just a little tight and a real bugger to get together without using a clamp.
This may help a few people that are on the edge and not sure if they can install these. Makes it look easy now.
To bad you didn't have the paddle up there to trim to show everyone how it's done.
Thanks,
Rick

finless
02-14-2014, 05:41 PM
To bad you didn't have the paddle up there to trim to show everyone how it's done.
Thanks,
Rick

The paddle?

Edit: Ah OK I know what you mean. The SE shift paddle!
Sorry mine is a SM so no paddle to show how to trim. But tell you what if ever I do install these for a friend or something on a SE, I will shoot that part.

By the way Rick, all the stuff I added recently and video'd was from you! Great prices buddy!

Bob

rick_w
02-14-2014, 05:52 PM
The paddle?

Edit: Ah OK I know what you mean. The SE shift paddle!
Sorry mine is a SM so no paddle to show how to trim. But tell you what if ever I do install these for a friend or something on a SE, I will shoot that part.

By the way Rick, all the stuff I added recently and video'd was from you! Great prices buddy!

Bob

Give Teresa a call, she will take care of whatever you need next time.
Rick

mcaccamise
02-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Great vidio Bob i also added the grips for spyder fitment and they came with a black pvc filler to cut to size for each grip and the throttle boss is a great for resting your palm on for crusing also my grips are a bit shorter so the hand fitment with the throttle boss is verry comfortable,just rest your hand on the grips and go.
PS my iso grips were for a RSS as a complete replacement of the old rubber grips though still enough room for the heat strip to keep my hands warm in these fridgid florida winters LOL ride on my friends.
Mike:doorag:

spyderrock
02-17-2014, 11:09 AM
great video, and thanks for taking time to shot a how to:clap::clap:. Splitting the rubber makes perfect sense and makes it a very easy install.

Magdave
02-17-2014, 11:29 AM
Even just cutting one side of the rubber would work too. Another well done job Bob. I have the grip puppies myself and know what you mean about them wearing in especially in the hot sun. :thumbup:

Magdave
02-17-2014, 11:55 AM
One other question Bob do the grip heaters work as well as before with that grip on ? I know it is probably a non issue in CA but just wondering.

finless
02-18-2014, 02:18 PM
One other question Bob do the grip heaters work as well as before with that grip on ? I know it is probably a non issue in CA but just wondering.

With the grip puppies the grip heaters still worked very well!

However with these they do not heat up as much. They are longer and that extra metal sticking out gets cooled by the wind thus they do not get as hot. If your stopped they do get hot it just takes a little longer to heat up. But again when doing 65 on the freeway they dissipate a lot of the heat. Take your hand off for a few seconds and they really cool down and take a while to heat up again.

I have been using my grip heaters in the early morning here is Ca. and while they still work they for sure don't work as well as before.

Bob

AFace
04-03-2014, 07:17 PM
I assume that there has to be a area ground out on the metal part of the grip that lines up with the paddle? Am I correct or is there any adjustment of the paddle to solve problem. Thanks for the video!!!

P.S. I went back and found further instructions that indicate to shave a little off the paddle using a Drymel grinder or something. That's what I will do. Again Bob thanks for you very helpful videos.:clap::clap::2thumbs:

finless
04-03-2014, 09:40 PM
I assume that there has to be a area ground out on the metal part of the grip that lines up with the paddle? Am I correct or is there any adjustment of the paddle to solve problem. Thanks for the video!!!

P.S. I went back and found further instructions that indicate to shave a little off the paddle using a Drymel grinder or something. That's what I will do. Again Bob thanks for you very helpful videos.:clap::clap::2thumbs:

Your welcome! Sorry I could not do a video on the shifter as I have a SM5 not a SE5.

Bob

kubie
04-27-2014, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the Vid. It was just what I needed to see. I had been wandering about grips for a while now! I Just PMed you a Question.

In Advance
Thank You
Kubie

remark2013
11-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Now that you have had the Grips installed for a good while, how are they holding up, IE any issues come up with cutting the rubber part as opposed to using the clamp method? I just ordered a set and am curious, thanks in advance, Kent.

finless
11-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Absolutely NO issues at all with this install method. I have put on at least 6K miles since installing these.

Bob

remark2013
11-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Awesome news, thanks once again Bob.

finless
04-26-2015, 12:15 PM
I get a lot of questions about these grips and the heaters.

Also lots of talk about using handlebar helmet locks.

Since I am doing some MOTO-Blogging recently, I decided to have a little chit chat about these on my ride into work that should answer some questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waPrWFcEYZU

Bob