PDA

View Full Version : Spyder pre-production test range

Buelldog
08-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Does anyone know if BRP has a testing facility in the southeast or southwest ,U.S.A.??Harley tests their new motors at a test track in Arizona under all air temp extremes......I wonder if BRP did the same with the SPYDER/ROTAX cooling system ???From all the complaints and concerns about running hot and from my own observations ......the current production cooling system is borderline sufficient when the air temp is below 90 and you are not stuck in metro area stop and go traffic.When the temps hit 90 plus and you are stop and go.....keep your fingers crossed cause she is getting hot!!BRP really needs to address this issue and future test their cooling systems efficiency in the desert!!I am lucky I ride in a pretty much rural area but when I drop in to the city heat starts cranking up pretty fast....this is a negative for the SPYDER.
Brake Squeel, air box oil leak, and weak cooling system......
other than that THIS TOY is fantastic!!:yikes:

TonyMac
08-06-2008, 08:51 PM
I don't know but I sure hope so. I really hope they come up with a retro fit of a larger fan, relay that turns the fan on sooner, or something as living here in South Texas, 95+ is most of our year and I've said it before, I'm as nervous as a prostitute in church at every light waiting for the heat gauge to creep to 6 or more bars :yikes:

Even this morning, we were enjoying an 08:00 AM temperature of only 73 degrees thanks to tropical storm Edouardo and I still hit 5 bars going to work.

Although they create a lot of heat, I don't see my Harley brothers :pray: when at stop lights in the summer

AMTJIM
08-06-2008, 09:15 PM
There are a few things about this machine that don't make sense to me. Why such high RPMs in 5th, we have 75 mph roads is another issue.

J-Dub70
08-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Yes - they have a facility in Melbourne Florida, south of Daytona. They did extensive testing here with the Spyder prototypes.

SpyderMark
08-07-2008, 06:55 AM
I really hope they come up with a retro fit of a larger fan, relay that turns the fan on sooner, or something as living here in South Texas, 95+ is most of our year and I've said it before, I'm as nervous as a prostitute in church at every light waiting for the heat gauge to creep to 6 or more bars

Has your Spyder ever overheated? That is, the temp light on the instrument cluster illuminated, or the computer entered "limp mode?"

I've heard much discussion about "all the problems" Spyders have with "running hot," and many seem concerned with the number of bars they see on the temp gage, but not too many have reported actual overtemps.

I do recall a discussion on another forum regarding the high-temp testing of the Spyder. IIRC, the poster (who claimed inside info) said BRP test riders jammed all over the desert southwest at all kinds of speeds to test the Spyder cooling system.

There is an admonition in the SOG not to sit in traffic with the fan running during break in, but nothing mentioned about AFTER break in. I say if the overtemp light isn't on, and you're not in limp mode, don't worry about it; it's working the way it's supposed to. If it IS running hotter than it's supposed to, you'll burn the engine up and BRP will replace it under warranty.

Regards,

Mark

aubierules
08-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Has your Spyder ever overheated? That is, the temp light on the instrument cluster illuminated, or the computer entered "limp mode?"

I've heard much discussion about "all the problems" Spyders have with "running hot," and many seem concerned with the number of bars they see on the temp gage, but not too many have reported actual overtemps.

I do recall a discussion on another forum regarding the high-temp testing of the Spyder. IIRC, the poster (who claimed inside info) said BRP test riders jammed all over the desert southwest at all kinds of speeds to test the Spyder cooling system.

There is an admonition in the SOG not to sit in traffic with the fan running during break in, but nothing mentioned about AFTER break in. I say if the overtemp light isn't on, and you're not in limp mode, don't worry about it; it's working the way it's supposed to. If it IS running hotter than it's supposed to, you'll burn the engine up and BRP will replace it under warranty.

Regards,

Mark

well said

spyderbitten
08-07-2008, 07:45 AM
well said

:agree:

TonyMac
08-07-2008, 08:57 AM

Regards,

Mark

No. The temp light has never been lit and I've never been in "limp mode". I'm still in break in period and have stayed away from known hard core traffic jams. Some Texas lights are just really long and at 5:30 PM at 100 degrees the temp gauge goes high and it makes me uncomfortable.

I like your advise though and will trust those engineers know what they're doing.

spickus
08-07-2008, 09:48 AM
the current production cooling system is borderline sufficient when the air temp is below 90 and you are not stuck in metro area stop and go traffic.When the temps hit 90 plus and you are stop and go.....keep your fingers crossed cause she is getting hot!!

I almost took a picture of my gauges Saturday. I was sitting at a red light in Spanish Fort Alabama, the thermometer read 108 and the engine temp would flicker between 4-5 bars (depending on whether I was sitting at a light or driving to the next red light). I don't think the cooling system is inadequate. Neither my fathers Spyder nor mine overheat when the temperature on the asphalt is above 100. I do believe people when they say they have a problem overheating but I disagree that it is because the cooling system is inadequate.

NancysToy
08-07-2008, 11:17 AM
This whole issue confuses me a bit. Most temperature gauges, at least these bar type gugaes, normally run about half way up the gauge, plus or minus a bar. For the Spyder, that means 4-6 bars, with five bars optimal. I see nothing wrong with that. I will grant you that the thermostat seems to open at three bars, so in cold weather it tries to maintain at only three. That may then seem "normal", but it is really the minimum. Going to five or six may seem "hot" but it certainly doesn't seem to cause harm. Discomfort on your legs, maybe... I agree with Mark, run her til she blows! Oops, there's the old drag racer coming to the surface again. If this becomes an issue, I suspect BRP will issue a programming update to kick the fan in sooner. That should be all that would be required.
-Scotty

vwatso
08-07-2008, 11:48 AM
But then how long is the wait for a new engine?

Way2Fast
08-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Yes - they have a facility in Melbourne Florida, south of Daytona. They did extensive testing here with the Spyder prototypes.

BRP's facility is actually in Palm Bay, FL. The Spyder was driven all over FL during testing, in heavy traffic and during the heat of summer without overheating issues. The problem, as I see it, is many owners are not used to sitting "on top" of an engine where the heat can be readily felt.

Most air cooled motorcycle engines get a lot hotter than the water cooled Spyder mill and don't overheat. Actually, many don't even come with a temperature gauge so the rider has no idea of what the operating temperature is.

I wouldn't worry about the Spyder's engine temperature unless it goes into limp mode or the radiator boils over.

Richard

hondaman
08-07-2008, 07:08 PM
I agree,my can-am outlander feels like it runs hot in the summer sitting still.but it never overheats.It did one time and that was because I had mud in the radiator,and pulling a rail buggy.When it did the check light came on and went into limp mode.Turned off for 10 min and all was good after that.So I wouldnt worry unless you feel limp mode.

BRPjunkie
08-07-2008, 07:33 PM
I agree, sometimes too much information is just that. Motorcycles (air or water cooled) have no display of engine temps and we never think about it. BRP has years of experience with Rotax engines in all sorts of applications and even at 6 bars with the engine at 230 degrees, I'm not sure that is harmful. Let the engine experts weigh in on that debate.