PDA

View Full Version : Disability Adaptations

Fat Crip
02-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Hi folks,

I'm new here and in the process of buying a new and unregistered 2013 STS from a dealer in London. However, as my avatar alludes to, I am disabled. Following a spinal injury 10 years ago, I am a C3-C5 tetraplegic (in the US I believe you'd say quadriplegic) and pretty badly paralysed down my right side, but rather less so on my left. I'm trying to get all of the controls moved to the left side. The firm I'm dealing with have done a shift of the fly-by-wire throttle to the left before and believe they can do this, though at a price - £1,250 ($2,000), but have never added a second, left foot operated brake (as in the video below) before. Can anyone here help with how it is done, please?

Eric

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy9G6Icmsgg

Bob Denman
02-12-2014, 06:08 PM
:welcome: I have absolutely no information, that will aide you in this project; I just wanted to say that I admire your drive... :2thumbs: :clap:

cuznjohn
02-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Hi folks,

I'm new here and in the process of buying a new and unregistered 2013 STS from a dealer in London. However, as my avatar alludes to, I am disabled. Following a spinal injury 10 years ago, I am a C3-C5 tetraplegic (in the US I believe you'd say quadriplegic) and pretty badly paralysed down my right side, but rather less so on my left. I'm trying to get all of the controls moved to the left side. The firm I'm dealing with have done a shift of the fly-by-wire throttle to the left before and believe they can do this, though at a price - £1,250 ($2,000), but have never added a second, left foot operated brake (as in the video below) before. Can anyone here help with how it is done, please?

Eric

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy9G6Icmsgg

the gentleman in the video is on here and goes by the name of henning, i would try to contact him and see if he can help you out

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?61759-Hope-this-video-can-motivate-other-Spyderlovers-Thanks-to-all-here&highlight=Henning

cptjam
02-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Just fantastic, and a part of the Spyder attraction! Great job on the mods, and great driving! I love that video, and am glad it inspires you. If I can help, just ask! Cheers! Moving the throttle is easy enough. The left side brake is one option - a left side hand brake and a left foot throttle is easier. Contact ISCI (see the home page for an address) and ask Jeff or Darrell if they can put a left side hand brake together for you. I know they can! If it were a cable throttle, very easy to fit a gas pedal. On the fly by wire, still pretty easy. Any fab shop can make a pedal, and then connecting a strong return spring is simple to do. Even with shipping and taxes, you can put this together for less than 2 grand, and start enjoying the freedom riding gives you. On a normal motorcycle, the throttle and brake are operated with the right hand. You could easily train yourself to use the left!

SpyderLady
02-17-2014, 09:06 PM
Please check out the forum here for enabled Ryder's. They may have lots of assistance there for you. I know if one lady that only has one arm and we gave another great Ryder who is paralyzed from the chest down.

Keep on keeping on!

spacetiger
02-17-2014, 09:14 PM
I was just over in Edinburgh, will keep an eye out for you if I am out that way again.

Try this site, there are some riders over there that might be able to help; this board [Spydern mit Handicap] has several articles:
http://www.spyderfahrer.de/portal/index.php?board=69.0

Good luck!

Jerry

Fat Crip
02-20-2014, 02:55 PM
I got an email today from Ian at GS Jet Tech in London with pictures of my left hand brake being fitted... not long now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ARtraveler
02-20-2014, 03:05 PM
Check out the forum here for Enabled Spyderlovers. There may be some helpful information for you.

Mick N
08-09-2015, 06:02 PM
The Man and his Machine are both Amazing! You are an inspiration!