PDA

View Full Version : Eco Mode/shift coaching

SllimG
02-10-2014, 10:51 PM
My shift indicator doesn't seem to work very well. Sometimes the indicator comes on at 2000 rpms, then it will be 3500 rpms, then 3000, etc. About half the time it will never even come on, regardless of how high you take the rpms. It is sporadic, unpredictable, and has no rhyme or reason to it. Anyone else experiencing the same? Unless something is wrong with mine, it is a pretty worthless feature.

SpyderAnn01
02-11-2014, 12:11 AM
Eco mode does not give you the upshift arrow if it feels that you are in a rapid acceleration. I was trying to find where that was written but I'm sorry I can't find it.

I forced myself to run in Eco Mode for almost an entire tank of fuel (142 miles) I really don't like it and probably will not use it often.

SllimG
02-11-2014, 12:35 AM
Eco mode does not give you the upshift arrow if it feels that you are in a rapid acceleration. I was trying to find where that was written but I'm sorry I can't find it.

I forced myself to run in Eco Mode for almost an entire tank of fuel (142 miles) I really don't like it and probably will not use it often.

I wondered if that was the case so I tried slow smooth acceleration and it didn'tseem to make a difference. I will have to play with that some more and see. Thanks!

stevedfive
02-11-2014, 01:12 AM

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?61713-Eco-Mode-and-Shifting-RPM&highlight=mode

den1953
02-11-2014, 07:49 AM
Whenever I do get my first Spyder RT, I probably won't use the ECO Mode as it sounds like it's a driver distraction that doesn't yield much in the way of extra mpg. That's just an observation based on owner posts I've read on this forum so far.

Bob Denman
02-11-2014, 08:29 AM
I can't WAIT to try it out... ;)
But that's just me! :D
I'm always trying to find that last little bit, of hidden mpgs... :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
02-11-2014, 11:31 AM
There is a more to it than just a shift light. It is very obvious that in ECO mode the engine mapping is less "sporty".

In ECO the shift points are easy to hit without the shift light after some practice.

Not sure where the MPG fall or if the better throttle response is more preferred.

ECO mode while on cruise control seems to work well.

PK

For me, if I have the cruise control on, I'm going highway speeds (70+) and I don't think that Eco mode does anything for you at those speeds.

Chupaca
02-11-2014, 01:34 PM
I did hear from the start that the eco mode does little as to fuel economy. Kind of a look good for the epa go green folks and has some effect on very slow touring. Tester I spoke with said that he found little benefit...but have yours checked may have some loose connection...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
02-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Either that; or it's the loose "nut behind the bars", that's causing all of the ruckus! :roflblack: :joke:

ARtraveler
02-11-2014, 03:06 PM
When and If there is a new :spyder2: RT in my life, I will probably not use the Eco Mode at all. I had a car with it and found it to be useless, as well as a distraction. Once again, most of us don't buy the :ani29: for its gas economy.

I do like the reports of a couple more miles per gallon being reported in "normal" operation, but that is not the selling point making me want a 2014 RT. Its the engine, its the engine. :yes::yes:

Bob Denman
02-11-2014, 06:01 PM
I do like the reports of a couple more miles per gallon being reported in "normal" operation, but that is not the selling point making me want a 2014 RT. Its the engine, its the engine. :yes::yes:

It's that marvelous new heart that the Tin Man is wearing! :2thumbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRd3K6LkhWs&noredirect=1

900Dave
02-11-2014, 08:57 PM
I can't WAIT to try it out... ;)
But that's just me! :D
I'm always trying to find that last little bit, of hidden mpgs... :thumbup:

If it is as lame as the ECO on my 900 ACE on my Ski doo all you will do is try it once for a very short time and then pretend it is not there. Not sure of the 14 RT setup but I also have a standard & sport mode. I rarely even use the standard, I run in sport 99% of the time and I have got at or above the manufacturer rated fuel mileage at times.

SllimG
02-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Either that; or it's the loose "nut behind the bars", that's causing all of the ruckus! :roflblack: :joke:

That is most likely the case!!

Bob Denman
02-12-2014, 08:25 AM
If it is as lame as the ECO on my 900 ACE on my Ski doo all you will do is try it once for a very short time and then pretend it is not there. Not sure of the 14 RT setup but I also have a standard & sport mode. I rarely even use the standard, I run in sport 99% of the time and I have got at or above the manufacturer rated fuel mileage at times.
Sooo... don't use it! :shocked:

As for me; I kind of dig, a fun challenge! :D

SpyderAnn01
02-12-2014, 10:49 AM
I got better gas mileage on this last tank of gas not using Eco mode. Both tanks were on similar roads, etc.

maliamd
02-12-2014, 11:07 AM
I haven't tried the Eco mode on my 14. I don't have any interest in the Eco Mode. I want to feel and ride the bike and decide when to shift.

ulflyer
02-12-2014, 02:58 PM
I think you will learn to shift up quickly for normal take offs. Either the ECO will teach you to do that, or you learn yourself.

At first, coming from a "shift at 4-5000K" twin, I tended to run the Triple up more than needed. Now, its just snick, snick, snick. Third and fourth gear moves you out smartly if you need to. Six pulls down to 3000 or so without strain unless you try to get on it, in which case shift down to fifth.

I'm also letting it shift down itself most of the time, whereas on the twin I always shifted down to keep the rpm's up. Don't have to do that now. :clap:

SllimG
02-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Rode about 200 miles today. Tried very slow and steady acceleration and the shift indicator still doesn't come on more than half the time. It's ok, I don't like the function anyway so I won't be using it. I noticed the picture Lamont posted show to shift at 1800 from 1st to 2nd, 1950 from 2nd to 3rd, and 2200 3rd and up. Mine won't let me shift at rpms' that low. It usually has to be around 2350 or 2400 before it will shift.

bluestratos
02-12-2014, 10:30 PM
Back in the day a lot of cars had a shift light, it was driven by vacuum pressure so it was not very smart. I wonder what drives the light in the 14's? Is there real science behind it? I use it to a degree but I find it really tries to get me in top gear at very low rpms. (6th gear at 40-45). It still drives fine and my first tank mileage was pretty good at 33.8.

Bob Denman
02-13-2014, 09:01 AM
I'll bet you a nickel, that it's NOT hooked up to a vacuum line anymore! :D
The computers are probably reading throttle positioning, fuel and ignition settings, mph, the color of the car in front of you, and even checking for overdue Iibrary books! :shocked: