PDA

View Full Version : I ran out of gas today

Blue Star
02-10-2014, 10:29 PM
Did 208.5 miles from full to empty, and took about 6.516 gallons to fill up. I know this is not a good indicator, as riding conditions vary, and I only did this experiment once. This trip was without the ECO mode on, shifting for the most part @ 2900 rpm, all but about 30 miles on the freeway going 70 – 75 mph. This tank gave me an average of 32.15 mpg, with my overall average at 31.89, so I guess I can’t complain. I just thought I would go further before it ran out.
Just some info, 2014 RT, the fuel needle did not go below the E symbol, I was in 6th when it died, but only downshifted to 3rd when I stopped, and gave NO warning that it was out of gas; it just died. If you want to know what it is like just hit the kill switch while going down the street, same thing. I wish I would have got a picture of the fuel indicator, but I did not. Fuel light came on at 171.5 miles.

Also, Cruise was on, but not set.

BajaRon
02-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Fuel injected engines usually just quit with no warning. Not like the good old days with carburetors where you might be able to nurse them along for a little ways.

SNOOPY
02-10-2014, 10:37 PM
Not good running out of gas on a fuel injected motor. Glad to took the hit for the rest of us. Lol

3 Wheel Addict
02-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Hope your mileage picks up a bit because that around the range my V-twin is getting. Good to know about it just stopping. Does the 14 still have the low fuel light??

SpyderAnn01
02-11-2014, 12:00 AM
I ran a full tank on eco mode and wanted to shoot myself to put me out of my misery! I got 32.73 mpg which I didn't think was all that great. I didn't get to run a full tank due to the unavailability of fuel where I was riding. This was for 142 miles

Jeriatric
02-11-2014, 12:07 AM
I ran a full tank on eco mode and wanted to shoot myself to put me out of my misery!

:roflblack: I hear that!

Texas
02-11-2014, 12:14 AM
Hmmmm..... Maybe BRP didn't increase the tank size for 2014 ?? :dontknow:

Based on the ride-to-empty information you provided, and the mileage I got yesterday (39.57), this means I could have gone 257.84 miles on a tank. This is interesting because BRP claims:

Ride for up to 252 miles at 62 mph (406 km at 100 km/h)* on one tank

Seems to be right on.

Chupaca
02-11-2014, 02:32 AM
Good to have an idea of the range you can get. I always use one tripmeter as a guide...!! :thumbup:

Benggolf
02-11-2014, 03:29 AM
Good to have an idea of the range you can get. I always use one tripmeter as a guide...!! :thumbup:

I do the same thing. Never trust the fuek gauge. :roflblack:

Blue Star
02-11-2014, 04:01 AM
Not good running out of gas on a fuel injected motor. Glad to took the hit for the rest of us. Lol

Demo test bike, :yes: so I did not mind

Hope your mileage picks up a bit because that around the range my V-twin is getting. Good to know about it just stopping. Does the 14 still have the low fuel light??

Yes it does. It came on at 171.5 miles. I forgot to put that in, but added it.

I ran a full tank on eco mode and wanted to shoot myself to put me out of my misery! I got 32.73 mpg which I didn't think was all that great. I didn't get to run a full tank due to the unavailability of fuel where I was riding. This was for 142 miles

I do not use that ECO mode either, as it drive me crazy too. I have done four tanks with the ECO mode and my average is 32.54 mpg.

SNOOPY
02-11-2014, 05:41 AM
:thumbup:

den1953
02-11-2014, 07:38 AM
Whenever I do finally take the plunge on a new RT (any version of it) then I could expect to be looking for a gas station anywhere from 180 to 200 miles (200 being the extreme limit). I would expect that riding two-up or against a headwind or in hilly terrain would reduce that figure significantly just as it does on my Victory Cross Country. Sounds like the ECO Mode only gets about 4 tenths or so more mpg so maybe not worth taking your eyes off the road to stay within it's shifting guidelines. I often just shift by the sound and feel of my motorcycles without paying strict attention to a tachometer anyhow. Doesn't sound like the 250 miles of range that BRP advertises is very realistic, kind of like the EPA mpg estimates on the stickers of new cars & trucks. I was hoping for something closer to 40 mpg like Texas reported, hope he is right!!

Bob Denman
02-11-2014, 08:19 AM
"Blue"
Thanks for performing this experiment for us! :clap: :thumbup:
The fact that you went over 35 miles on "The LIght" :shocked: , adds some comfort...

Cruzr Joe
02-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Did 208.5 miles from full to empty, and took about 6.516 gallons to fill up. I know this is not a good indicator, as riding conditions vary, and I only did this experiment once. This trip was without the ECO mode on, shifting for the most part @ 2900 rpm, all but about 30 miles on the freeway going 70 – 75 mph. This tank gave me an average of 32.15 mpg, with my overall average at 31.89, so I guess I can’t complain. I just thought I would go further before it ran out.
Just some info, 2014 RT, the fuel needle did not go below the E symbol, I was in 6th when it died, but only downshifted to 3rd when I stopped, and gave NO warning that it was out of gas; it just died. If you want to know what it is like just hit the kill switch while going down the street, same thing. I wish I would have got a picture of the fuel indicator, but I did not. Fuel light came on at 171.5 miles.

Also, Cruise was on, but not set.

Thank you, that is good to know.

Cruzr Joe

Mets79ST2013
02-11-2014, 08:52 AM
What is the range on a 2013 ST-S? if you have the information because it feels to me that I fill up go for a ride maybe 2 hours and I have to get gas...

3 Wheel Addict
02-11-2014, 09:28 AM
BRP did increase the tank size slightly because they removed the "dent" that the 13 exhaust pipe ran next to. Also mileage numbers are a mysterious thing based on your riding style so do take them to heart. My 13 RT/S got a best of 34 mpg on a long ride with the Cincinnati Spyder riders group and that is because I'm a conservative "tour rider" I like to hang on the back roads and ride at reasonable speeds and look around, not hammer it from point A to point B.

Oklahoma Spyder
02-11-2014, 09:52 AM
I think its all about speed. Blue star was running 73 average. BRP was saying around 63 mph like state highways (except in Texas) I will tell you the difference will be huge.

den1953
02-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Most of the time I ride on back roads and secondary highways with a 55 mph speed limit and I generally limit myself to no more than 60 on them. Interstate highways are a completely different matter. Ohio raised the limit from 65 to 70 mph last year and I was used to maintaining 70 to stay out of trouble but now have to do 75. I still routinely get passed a lot by people doing 80 to 85 mph. I'm still on two wheels an I'm not comfortable doing 80 mph much less 85, especially with my wife on back. I would hope the added stability of the Spyder might make things better on the superslab although I'd rather be on the slower, less traveled roads for the most part.

Bob Denman
02-11-2014, 10:09 AM
Me too! :thumbup:

schnauzermom
02-11-2014, 10:15 AM
Wondering if there is going to be a break in period and the mileage will improve over time?
That's what happened with my 2011 RT. Started out with about 25mpg, increased to 30-33 mpg now. Can't remember how long it took, have 7100 miles on bike now. Maybe after 5000 miles? Just a thought.

Bob Denman
02-11-2014, 10:41 AM
They always get better; over the time and miles... :thumbup:

bruiser
02-11-2014, 10:48 AM
As was said many times before, mileage is going to vary. In ideal conditions @ 62 mph., you mightget 252 miles on a tank.

Nils888
02-11-2014, 10:54 AM
I ran a full tank on eco mode and wanted to shoot myself to put me out of my misery! I got 32.73 mpg which I didn't think was all that great. I didn't get to run a full tank due to the unavailability of fuel where I was riding. This was for 142 milesI know your pain!!! I only made it though 1/2 a tank with ECO mode on. Boring!!!!

SpyderAnn01
02-11-2014, 11:22 AM
While I believe that 252 miles on a tank will be a stretch for most of us, 200 to 225 is a more realistic goal. Every time that I have been able to ride until the fuel light came on it has been at 170+ miles which left me with approx. 1 1/2 gallons of gas. The test Spyder that I am on now has over 5500 miles on it and it has had the first service. I have not noticed any increase in fuel mileage though since I started riding it at 1,300 miles.

BajaRon
02-11-2014, 11:38 AM

Other than the obvious dangers of losing power without warning in traffic, there really isn't any danger of damaging the engine of a fuel injected system any more than doing the same thing in a carbureted engine. To get going again you just add fuel to the tank and you're up an running with no issues.

Some confuse fuel injected diesel with fuel injected gasoline systems. Diesel is a whole 'nother ball game. Though you won't damage a diesel engine by running out of fuel. You can't just put diesel in the tank and drive away like you can with a gasoline injected engine.

The only real possible down side of running out of fuel in the Spyder is that, like most modern fuel injected engines, the electric pump in the fuel tank is cooled by the fuel itself. Just like in a car, if you run your fuel real low all of the time it can cause the fuel pump bearings to overheat eventually requiring it to be replaced.

I am guessing as to this aspect on the Spyder based on similar systems in cars and trucks.

jcthorne
02-11-2014, 11:52 AM
So the 14s are getting 1 maybe 2 more mpg than the 13s and coupled with a half gallon larger tank go 25 more miles per fill up in real life. Hmm, not nearly as big an improvement as was boasted.

Riding with a group last weekend, running between 65 and 70 but it was curvy back roads so not constant speed by any means, my fuel light came on at 158 and I filled up at 172 using 4.9 gallons. I did not spend time getting every last drop in so say it could have fit another quart and divide by 5.2 gives 33mpg. I don't have an eco mode and am a bit ham fisted with the throttle as my wife will attest. Does not sound like that big a difference to me.

I think I am going to keep looking at adding an aux tank below the saddle bag on the right. Looks like a 2.5gal spun aluminum tank may just fit. That would take my range well past 200.

ARtraveler
02-11-2014, 03:19 PM
The specs in the owners manual say the new tank is supposed to be 6.9 gallons--compared to the 6.6 gallons on the previous models. 6.5 actual fill on running out of gas sounds about right. I also remember reading "somewhere" that when the fuel light goes on you have about 1 gallon left. (YOUR ACTUAL RESULTS MAY VARY--OF COURSE:roflblack:).

Thank you for being one of the beta testers--it gives us some ballpark information. My "best" on the old style tanks was 5.8 gallons at 184 miles. I did not run out of gas--but did run out of courage to go farther.

flybuddy
02-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Thank you for being one of the beta testers--it gives us some ballpark information. My "best" on the old style tanks was 5.8 gallons at 185 miles. I did not run out of gas--but did run out of courage to go farther.

Pretty close

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?53467-200-miles-on-one-tank-of-gas&highlight=Miles

Blue Star
02-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Whenever I do finally take the plunge on a new RT (any version of it) then I could expect to be looking for a gas station anywhere from 180 to 200 miles (200 being the extreme limit). I would expect that riding two-up or against a headwind or in hilly terrain would reduce that figure significantly just as it does on my Victory Cross Country. Sounds like the ECO Mode only gets about 4 tenths or so more mpg so maybe not worth taking your eyes off the road to stay within it's shifting guidelines. I often just shift by the sound and feel of my motorcycles without paying strict attention to a tachometer anyhow. Doesn't sound like the 250 miles of range that BRP advertises is very realistic, kind of like the EPA mpg estimates on the stickers of new cars & trucks. I was hoping for something closer to 40 mpg like Texas reported, hope he is right!!

I went on a 553 mile round trip to Las Vegas and back, fully loaded, two-up, and it really did not effect my mileage that much. Three tanks averaged 32.29, 24.36, and 33.60. The low of 24.36 was going up two mountains that reached an elevation of over 4000 feet. I do not think riding two-up hurt that much with my mpg.

"Blue"
Thanks for performing this experiment for us! :clap: :thumbup:
The fact that you went over 35 miles on "The LIght" :shocked: , adds some comfort...

I wish I had done this before, so it would have been more assuring for me too. Other than this last tank (experiment) my longest tank was 201.3 miles. Just glad I got gas when I did instead of 4 mile further :yes:

What is the range on a 2013 ST-S? if you have the information because it feels to me that I fill up go for a ride maybe 2 hours and I have to get gas...

Don't know, but maybe someone with a 2013 will jump in. I had a 2012 before, and never went past 127 miles with it.

BRP did increase the tank size slightly because they removed the "dent" that the 13 exhaust pipe ran next to. Also mileage numbers are a mysterious thing based on your riding style so do take them to heart. My 13 RT/S got a best of 34 mpg on a long ride with the Cincinnati Spyder riders group and that is because I'm a conservative "tour rider" I like to hang on the back roads and ride at reasonable speeds and look around, not hammer it from point A to point B.

My average on my 2012 was 29.85 mpg, but like Wheel Addict said, riding style can change things. I wish I could do it again, but time limits me.

I think its all about speed. Blue star was running 73 average. BRP was saying around 63 mph like state highways (except in Texas) I will tell you the difference will be huge.

:agree:

Wondering if there is going to be a break in period and the mileage will improve over time?
That's what happened with my 2011 RT. Started out with about 25mpg, increased to 30-33 mpg now. Can't remember how long it took, have 7100 miles on bike now. Maybe after 5000 miles? Just a thought.

My test bike had 4707 miles when I got it, and is now over 7300.

I know your pain!!! I only made it though 1/2 a tank with ECO mode on. Boring!!!!

Once you hit 6th gear the ECO mode don't make a difference, but going so slow until I get to 6th makes me feel not safe. On Sunday I was talking to a BRP Tech about the Spyder's ECO mode, and how by twisting the throttle you can over-ride the ECO light. I mentioned that it makes it difficult to use when it works sometimes, and not others. He told me on the snow mobiles you cannot over-ride the ECO unless you turn it off.

While I believe that 252 miles on a tank will be a stretch for most of us, 200 to 225 is a more realistic goal. Every time that I have been able to ride until the fuel light came on it has been at 170+ miles which left me with approx. 1 1/2 gallons of gas. The test Spyder that I am on now has over 5500 miles on it and it has had the first service. I have not noticed any increase in fuel mileage though since I started riding it at 1,300 miles.

:agree: 200 miles is my limit now, but I knew from about the first third of a tank that it will be a short mileage tank. Out of 14 fill-ups, I have had the fuel light on 8 times, so my average is 175.81 miles for the light to come on.

The specs in the owners manual say the new tank is supposed to be 6.9 gallons--compared to the 6.6 gallons on the previous models. 6.5 actual fill on running out of gas sounds about right. I also remember reading "somewhere" that when the fuel light goes on you have about 1 gallon left. (YOUR ACTUAL RESULTS MAY VARY--OF COURSE:roflblack:).

Thank you for being one of the beta testers--it gives us some ballpark information. My "best" on the old style tanks was 5.8 gallons at 184 miles. I did not run out of gas--but did run out of courage to go farther.

Your welcome, and it is funny. I read how others get high mpg on their bikes, but I have never been able to get high mpg on either on my three bikes. Always on the low to middle range.

gwritesel
02-12-2014, 12:51 AM

Being the age I am my butt runs out of miles before the tank does.:D

Rid'nrandy
02-12-2014, 08:43 AM

I agree. I know with my Goldwing, the mpg difference was significant when you are running above 3,000 rpms versus maintaining your engine speed below 3,000 rpms. :agree: