PDA

View Full Version : Front tire wobble from brake rotor warpage

Texascanuk
02-09-2014, 02:45 PM
Our 2012 RT has about 2500mi on it and has developed a front tire wobble between 44-48MPH at constant speed. We checked the steering alignment and looked for missing wheel weights that could indicate an out of balance issue. Nothing out of the ordinary and the front tires are not cupped. What we did notice though, is that the front tires will not spin on their own momentum when the tire is lifted off of the ground. The right side rotates about 1/2 the way round then stops, the rotor is dragging at that point until the other 1/2 rotation is complete. The Left side requires constant force to turn the wheel. So it looks like the brakes are dragging!! I removed the wheel and noticed that with the wheel lug nuts loose the wheel will spin freely but as soon as I put some torque on the lug nuts the rotor binds again. I still have 1 year of warrantee so I'm going to ask the dealer to take a look at it and figure out if the brake calipers are sticking and may need replacing and possibly replacing the warped brake rotors.

Any other ideas or symptoms others have had with the front rotor/caliper?

spyderbirds
02-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Many have found that the front tire wobble is due to the stock Kenda tires. Several battled this on new spyders and found that replacement of tires was the answer.

Not implying that's what is going on with yours, but I think most spyders have the rotor drag a bit at points while spinning with the wheel off the ground.

Motorcycledave
02-09-2014, 02:56 PM
If you have a warped rotor you will feel the brake pedal pulsate..

Our 2012 RT has about 2500mi on it and has developed a front tire wobble between 44-48MPH at constant speed. We checked the steering alignment and looked for missing wheel weights that could indicate an out of balance issue. Nothing out of the ordinary and the front tires are not cupped. What we did notice though, is that the front tires will not spin on their own momentum when the tire is lifted off of the ground. The right side rotates about 1/2 the way round then stops, the rotor is dragging at that point until the other 1/2 rotation is complete. The Left side requires constant force to turn the wheel. So it looks like the brakes are dragging!! I removed the wheel and noticed that with the wheel lug nuts loose the wheel will spin freely but as soon as I put some torque on the lug nuts the rotor binds again. I still have 1 year of warrantee so I'm going to ask the dealer to take a look at it and figure out if the brake calipers are sticking and may need replacing and possibly replacing the warped brake rotors.

Any other ideas or symptoms others have had with the front rotor/caliper?

Texascanuk
02-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Remember that sensation when you were in the mountains and used the heck out of your brakes and warped the rotors? I think that is what is happening here, the rotors heat up and warp causing the pulsation. What's not clear is why it goes away over 50MPH. Maybe that's not the cause? Maybe after another couple thousand miles that pads will wear in a bit and give some clearance.

Chupaca
02-09-2014, 03:14 PM
It does not seem to be rotor problems. If the brakes were dragging you would be getting warnings same as if you ryde with your foot on the brake pedal. You would also have lurching at slow speeds or pushing the roadster. If bad enough you would have burn spots on the rotors. I would have the dealer look into it because there may be some alignment issue in the braking system or the shocks or tires. You seem to have checked the balance and tire pressure part already. Hope you get to the bottom of this soon and let us know... :gaah:

NancysToy
02-09-2014, 05:29 PM
.....If the brakes were dragging you would be getting warnings same as if you ryde with your foot on the brake pedal......
I disagree!

jtoro1
02-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Adjust front tire pressure to 20 psi it helped me

BajaRon
02-09-2014, 09:31 PM
I disagree!

:agree: with your disagreement! It's not the same thing. The computer knows when you are riding the break because the peddle tells on you. The computer has no way of knowing when the brakes are dragging on their own.