PDA

View Full Version : GASOLINE ADDITIVES

SPYD3R
02-09-2014, 02:10 PM
we've talked alot on this website about 'GAS'... what grade octanes, etc etc etc....

how about ADDITIVES...? :ohyea:

do any of you use, on a regular basis, such things as Carb/Injector Cleaners or anti-ethonal treatments?
i use the STA-BIL Marine Furmula (blue) @ every tank full which supposedly helps negate the water content of this garbage fuel we are forced to use. i also use the STP Carb & Injector cleaning fluid about every couple months or so... 1 bottle usually last me about 4 fill-ups...

just wondering if any of you use such additives, and what are the results that you've seen... i have to say, that with 39,000 miles, i have had ZERO issues with the fuel system on mine '09 RS, and i run 87 octane exclusively..... :yes:

spyderbirds
02-09-2014, 02:18 PM
I run the Startron enzyme fuel treatment with every tank of ethanol I have to use. During periods of infrequent riding I even use the startron in regular gas. Spyder resides in garage of 5th wheel with the washer dryer, I use the startron in that case to combat any possible condensation in tank. It has yet to sit idle for more than two weeks.
In our generator fuel tank I do use the Stabil.

wyliec
02-09-2014, 02:21 PM
Here's one of the threads where members gave their opinions on additives.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?59119-Startron-amp-ethanol-fuel&highlight=additives

I use 87 octane (usually with ethanol) in my '08 GS and no additives. My spyder runs fine. I get around 32mpg.

I do use sta-bil in the winter when the spyder is napping.

Magdave
02-09-2014, 02:23 PM
STP is junk and worthless. Only 2 worth having are Techron and Seafoam. Both are pricey for a reason...they work.

fispyder
02-09-2014, 02:46 PM
I've used stabil in boats for years. Didn't in my RTS with 38000 miles on it until it started spuddering on start up last summer. After 2 tanks it stopped spuddering. Now I'll use it every 2/3 fill ups. I also run 87 octane non ethonal gas (station close by) on trip I run what is availbe.

Chupaca
02-09-2014, 03:29 PM
if you use a good gas with additives in it you are fine. I do run seafoam from time to time but not constantly. If you are using noname cheap fuel those mentioned can help....:thumbup:

bruiser
02-09-2014, 04:06 PM
There are a few occasions when an additive may be beneficial to use. Just so you don't think that all additives are evil, these are a few worthy specimens, although don't expect them to improve gas mileage or performance.
Gas additives can take the form of oxygenates (alcohol or ethers), which can reduce the carbon monoxide expelled into the air by your vehicle. Octane boosters and anti-knocking agents sometimes work, but if you need to use them to have a smooth running engine, then there is a problem with your engine that needs a mechanics attention.
Fuel stabilizers and antioxidants can be helpful if you do not use a vehicle very often, as these will help the gas from getting old and stale and subsequently performing sluggishly. Fuel system cleaners can also be helpful on occasion to clean-up harmful build-up and keep your engine running as it should.
Fuel cleaners will not give your vehicle anymore power or fuel efficiency that they were meant to have, so don't let their tricky advertising fool you. Gasoline additives can also be used to inhibit corrosion and lubricate the upper cylinders, although in general these should not be necessary under most circumstances.
Fuel efficiency cannot be bought in a bottle, it is something that must have come with your vehicle in the first place. Don't use these additives as band aids to fix real problems that need either a mechanic, or perhaps a different vehicle all together.

Having said that, I do use Sta Bil or StarTron because of the ethanol in our fuel.

Highwayman2013
02-09-2014, 04:43 PM
I have used stabil,startron, and sesfoam and they all seem to work as advertised. It would be nice to get e0 gas where I live.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-09-2014, 05:19 PM
I have never been much of a believer ( if at all ) in additives. However I do use Marine Startron (which I can get on-line in Qt. size real cheap ) because of the Ethanol in the gas. I don't use it in my truck but Yes in the Spyder, lawn tractor, chain saw, snow blower etc........JMHO......Mike :thumbup:

SPYD3R
02-09-2014, 05:35 PM
I have never been much of a believer ( if at all ) in additives. However I do use Marine Startron (which I can get on-line in Qt. size real cheap ) because of the Ethanol in the gas. I don't use it in my truck but Yes in the Spyder, lawn tractor, chain saw, snow blower etc........JMHO......Mike :thumbup:

:gaah: SNOW BLOWER......??????? :shemademe_smilie: :dg2:

what's a Snow Blower Mike....???? :roflblack: :ohyea: :bowdown:

Bob Denman
02-09-2014, 05:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jClXTCwfPzo

Magdave
02-09-2014, 06:10 PM
There are a few occasions when an additive may be beneficial to use. Just so you don't think that all additives are evil, these are a few worthy specimens, although don't expect them to improve gas mileage or performance.
Gas additives can take the form of oxygenates (alcohol or ethers), which can reduce the carbon monoxide expelled into the air by your vehicle. Octane boosters and anti-knocking agents sometimes work, but if you need to use them to have a smooth running engine, then there is a problem with your engine that needs a mechanics attention.
Fuel stabilizers and antioxidants can be helpful if you do not use a vehicle very often, as these will help the gas from getting old and stale and subsequently performing sluggishly. Fuel system cleaners can also be helpful on occasion to clean-up harmful build-up and keep your engine running as it should.
Fuel cleaners will not give your vehicle anymore power or fuel efficiency that they were meant to have, so don't let their tricky advertising fool you. Gasoline additives can also be used to inhibit corrosion and lubricate the upper cylinders, although in general these should not be necessary under most circumstances.
Fuel efficiency cannot be bought in a bottle, it is something that must have come with your vehicle in the first place. Don't use these additives as band aids to fix real problems that need either a mechanic, or perhaps a different vehicle all together.

Having said that, I do use Sta Bil or StarTron because of the ethanol in our fuel.
:agree: One addition take is these bikes burn oil it is well known. The valves , especially the exhaust, will get gunked up That is the reason to occasionally use a quality additive like Techron or Seafoam. If you use Texaco all the time it already has Techron in it and I did in my Corvettes just because of that. I also would add a bi monthly dose to a fill up. Corvette intakes are know (LS1) to suck a lot of oil into the intake just like our bikes probably do. I do believe they are needed as preventative maintenance. :thumbup:

Spyder4Tess
02-09-2014, 06:56 PM
I don't think additives will remove burnt on deposits from valves.

SPYD3R
02-09-2014, 07:31 PM

some people say "save your $, additives like STP are junk"... however, if your engine is old with carbon build-up, and you only start then to use them, they won't be of any benefit... if used on a regular basis from the start of a new vehicle, they will keep your engine running a lot cleaner...
i've built drag race engines for over 4 decades, and most, NOT all, of these additive do work... so keep in mind when you purchase a new vehicle of any kind that you need to start immediately or not at all...

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-10-2014, 12:16 AM
:gaah: SNOW BLOWER......??????? :shemademe_smilie: :dg2:

what's a Snow Blower Mike....???? :roflblack: :ohyea: :bowdown:

It's something that blows snow :yikes: :pray: :dontknow: :hun: :agree: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:........................Mike :thumbup:......................When I move to Tenn. I'll leave it in Vt.

Dan_Ashley
02-10-2014, 12:22 AM
In Southern California a snow blower has nothing to do with frozen precipitation. ...just sayin....

SpyderAnn01
02-10-2014, 12:30 AM
I seem to remember Lamont trying to drink his fuel additive. He mistook it for a 5 Hour Energy Drink.

Jeriatric
02-10-2014, 12:33 AM
Known in some circles as gear head cologne.

Tango
02-10-2014, 09:53 AM
In my area the only top tier gas is a BP station 23 miles away. I bring all my vehicles there to fill up whenever possible. And that's most of the time.:thumbup: All vehicles get Techron at every oil change. :clap: The generator gets marine Stabil. :firstplace: Startron is not readily available anywhere near me. :banghead: Tom :trike:

Bob Denman
02-10-2014, 09:56 AM
I seem to remember Lamont trying to drink his fuel additive. He mistook it for a 5 Hour Energy Drink.

...And his valves have NEVER been cleaner!! :thumbup: :roflblack:

Magdave
02-10-2014, 10:31 AM

As a fuel system additive, Sea Foam helps, clean carburetor jets, clean passageways, clean fuel injectors, clean deposits, stabilize fuel for up to 2 years, control moisture and adds lubricity to fuel.

http://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-motor-treatment/