PDA

View Full Version : 1 Motorcycle Trailers Greenville, SC

sjcpanther
02-09-2014, 10:26 AM
Rode 2-1/2 hours to Greenville, SC yesterday to bring back my new pull behind trailer. Read some great reviews on this trailer. The price was inline with other comparable aluminum trailers, so I decided to give Danny a call. He answered all my questions, and even threw in some additional items, like a spare tire and a cooler with rack. It comes standard with cargo light, cargo net, license plate holder with light, cover and coupler lock.

Danny was great to deal with, and even assembled the trailer for me. Even came in on a Saturday to accomodate my schedule.

Picture below of the trailer hooked up to my Spyder.

Other than the chain with hook coming off several times going over bumps in the road, I had no issues. I simply wrapped the chain around the tongue to secure it, and it stayed put.

No issues on the way home. Very smooth pulling, even at 75 MPH on the interstate. Didn't even know it was back there! :)
Now I'm ready to start my year of longer trips. :yes:

Highly recommended if you are in the market for a reasonably priced pull behind trailer.

usn97ret
02-09-2014, 10:38 AM
I have the 18 cu ft version of that trailer from Danny. Mine was shipped to Colorado and it was very easy to put together. @sjcpanther - I had the same problem with the hooks popping out of the trailer hitch holes when I hit big bumps so I now use sturdy carabiner hooks to hold the chain & hooks to the trailer hitch.

The model is called the "Escape" and there are four variants....Heres their website: http://www.1motorcycletrailers.com/

Update: I should have specified "screwlock carabiner".

sjcpanther
02-09-2014, 10:45 AM
That's awesome. Thanks for the carabiner hooks suggestion. I was going to have to try to find a way to secure the hooks on there. Great idea!

Magdave
02-09-2014, 11:07 AM
That's the one on my radar and that is what my bike looks like so I can see exactly what may be in store for me. How about the wiring what did you have to do to accommodate it? Thanks:thumbup:

Oldmanzues
02-09-2014, 11:23 AM
I would advise if you use carbiner hooks, they are real and will take the load. Some are for show only. This is a chain conector from hardware store or Home Depot. they have actual rating on them. They come in different sizes. I use on all my trailers including the Spyder Hauler.
I can not seem to p[ost a pic with my vwery limited skill at this
It is a oval shaped "ring" with a threaded part to unscrew to put the chain on nad hook to tow vehicle

sjcpanther
02-09-2014, 11:47 AM
That's the one on my radar and that is what my bike looks like so I can see exactly what may be in store for me. How about the wiring what did you have to do to accommodate it? Thanks:thumbup:

That's part of what I discussed with Danny on the phone before I ordered the trailer. I told him that the Spyder has a 4 pin square connector. His comes standard with a 4 pin flat connector. He said he would re-wire his to accommodate the 4 pin square.

I literally did nothing except plug it in and tested the lights and turn signals. All worked great. Danny did everything. Just tell him what you have and he can hook you up.

sjcpanther
02-09-2014, 11:49 AM
I would advise if you use carbiner hooks, they are real and will take the load. Some are for show only. This is a chain conector from hardware store or Home Depot. they have actual rating on them. They come in different sizes. I use on all my trailers including the Spyder Hauler.
I can not seem to p[ost a pic with my vwery limited skill at this
It is a oval shaped "ring" with a threaded part to unscrew to put the chain on nad hook to tow vehicle

I think I know what you're talking about. I've seen those with the screw ends.

So those handle more load than the ones that just spring together at the end?

spyderbirds
02-09-2014, 12:00 PM
:congrats: on the trailer, the black goes with any color bike :thumbup: We had a black Aluma we pulled behind our Blue RT

Dan McNally
02-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Thanks for posting that! It looks like a good deal. Here is a link to a solution to the chain hooks bouncing off . . . be sure to get one that has the appropriate strength to hld the gross weight of your trailer. http://www.curtmfg.com/Category/125/Quick%20Links

Mt-man
02-09-2014, 12:06 PM
Nice looking trailer , what size is it ? :cheers:

sjcpanther
02-09-2014, 12:27 PM
I got the 14 cu ft. trailer.

Inside bed dimensions are 48" long x 28" wide x 18" High.

Plenty of room.

Bob Denman
02-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Very nice... :clap: :thumbup:
Thanks for the link to them! Now I can start bugging the missus for "authorization"... :shocked: :D

Dragonfly
02-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Just got mine from MiniTrailersUSA http://minitrailerusa.com/nomad-trailer.htm they look almost identical and come in 14, 18 and 32cubic feet. Did not have all tose extras but then again I paid $50.00 less that what is listed. The wiring comes with the standard 4 flat plug, bought a 4 square and flat 4 female and made my own transition. Lights work great. :yes:

ValCruzSpyder
02-09-2014, 05:43 PM
Very nice... :clap: :thumbup:
Thanks for the link to them! Now I can start bugging the missus for "authorization"... :shocked: :D

Bob, I just showed my wife the website, and she is still admiring the "Escalade" trailer. Now, all I have to do is convince her that we "really need" this. :pray::pray:
Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!

Trickie Dick
02-09-2014, 09:34 PM
I've had my trailer for 3 years now and really like it except for the safety chain problem. I finally got one a set of these and it solved the problem. They are self coiling so they don't drag. $14.22 at Amazon. :thumbup:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PT9FHF5GL.SX500_SY395_CR,0,0,500,395_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_SX500_SY395_CR,0,0,500,395_SH20_.jp g

sjcpanther
02-09-2014, 10:04 PM
I've had my trailer for 3 years now and really like it except for the safety chain problem. I finally got one a set of these and it solved the problem. They are self coiling so they don't drag. $14.22 at Amazon. :thumbup:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PT9FHF5GL.SX500_SY395_CR,0,0,500,395_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_SX500_SY395_CR,0,0,500,395_SH20_.jp g

Excellent idea. Thanks!

currin20fan
02-09-2014, 10:23 PM
I too have the same trailer except its white. I really like it.

SNOOPY
02-09-2014, 10:26 PM
Thanks for posting that! It looks like a good deal. Here is a link to a solution to the chain hooks bouncing off . . . be sure to get one that has the appropriate strength to hld the gross weight of your trailer. http://www.curtmfg.com/Category/125/Quick%20Links

I'm not too crazy about these type hooks, they get clogged w/ dirt too easy, they stretch sometimes over time and get hard or impossible to open. :dontknow:

These usually work well, but over time the catch device may get rusted or bent.

I like galvanized chain or cable w/ marine shackles for strength and longevity.

example...

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Rigging-Supplies-Hardware/Screw-Pin-Bow-Shackles-Stainless-Steel

bruiser
02-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Been looking at that trailer too. just need to find the coins for trailer and hitch.

Texas
02-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Congratulations on the new trailer :clap: Time to start making those summer vacation plans!

Pandy
02-10-2014, 02:27 PM
That's exactly what I did and who I bought mine from as well. Most satisfied overall, not his fault I ran the tires bald. That's what happens when you use one.
Patrick

Chupaca
02-10-2014, 08:03 PM
sounds like great folks, awesome set up you have now. Thanks for the link..!! :thumbup:

cyclelover63
02-10-2014, 08:12 PM
I bought the "Escalade" a couple years ago and took it to Durango,Co to the owners event..I had the same trouble with the chains...I just squeezed them together with a channel locks and they never came off once there and back..

Trickie Dick
02-10-2014, 10:32 PM
I'm not too crazy about these type hooks, they get clogged w/ dirt too easy, they stretch sometimes over time and get hard or impossible to open. :dontknow:

These usually work well, but over time the catch device may get rusted or bent.

I like galvanized chain or cable w/ marine shackles for strength and longevity.

example...

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Rigging-Supplies-Hardware/Screw-Pin-Bow-Shackles-Stainless-Steel

Well I've only had it for a couple of years an so far so good. If it does get dirty:yikes:or clogged:hun:, then I guess I can afford to replace it since it cost less than a tank of gas. That kind of takes care of the longevity issue as well.
To each his own.

NancysToy
02-10-2014, 10:53 PM
There are a number of ways you can resolve the problem with the open hooks:

Quick Links
Spring Snaps
Quick Snaps
Chain Hooks w/ latches

A visit to the hardware store or a trailer shop will yield several solutions. I prefer the spring snaps.

Questions
02-11-2014, 12:48 AM
How much do they weigh empty ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjcpanther
02-11-2014, 07:48 AM
How much do they weigh empty ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

170 lb empty for the 14 cu ft (which is what I bought).

The 18 cu ft weighs 190 lb empty.

ValCruzSpyder
02-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Tonight, I received a call from the owner (Danny). Put him on speaker so he could address the few questions I had about his trailers. My wife was listening in on the conversation. (That was the idea!!!!) Danny is a very knowledgable guy. He knows his product. I think this is exactly what I needed to close the deal with my wife. Am I a bad person??? For all it's worth...I am still waiting for her to give me the "go ahead"!!! Keep your fingers crossed!! I'll keep you all updated. For those of you that said I should go ahead and make the purchase without getting the green light from her...how comfy is the bed in YOUR spare bedroom? That's what I'm dealing with. I'll just wait for her to say "yes" or "no".;) It tends to keep the home a little more happy(er). Happy wife, happy life!!

Cruzr Joe
02-12-2014, 08:46 PM

That is great, thanks for the post.

Cruzr Joe

rogerb
02-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Another cure for the hooks coming out is to have the hooks facing the opposite way. The ends facing back not forward like in the original picture. Since my son pointed this out to me I haven't had any problems on trailer. Nice trailer congrats.