PDA

View Full Version : A little over 34,000 to go

Pennyrick
02-08-2014, 11:33 AM
This marks my one thousandth post so it is clear that I am rapidly gaining on Bob D.

I tried to think of something significant to post about as I looked at my Spyder this morning but decided to just post a photo of it sitting in the drive celebrating it's second birthday this weekend. Two year's old and just turned 20,000 miles.

Yesterday I visited the dealer and tried on a 2014 for size. A lot of things I like but the brushed chrome didn't turn me on. It looked as though someone just sprayed it with aluminum paint. As you can tell from my '12, I like chrome. The seating seems lower than my stock seat did on the '12 but about the same as the Ultimate I now have installed.

I like to rev substantially higher than the '14 needs and would miss the sound of the twin. Setting up our trailers to work with the '14's would also cause some headaches and we use them a lot.

So, we will stay with what we have.

Notice how I cleverly talked myself out of spending about forty grand to trade up to two RT Limiteds and trailers?

Chupaca
02-08-2014, 12:28 PM
great shot of your roadster. I really like the clean look with just an accent pinstrpping. Have to agree with you with trading up at this time. This is my first V twin but only because it is a high rpm motor do I love it. Have dealt with parallel twins, singles, inline fours, flat fours, V fours, triples and really like this rotax engine. Ryde on my friend I'll be out there as well...be safe..!! :thumbup:

NancysToy
02-08-2014, 12:30 PM
I like to rev substantially higher than the '14 needs and would miss the sound of the twin.
I was thinking about this myself the other day. Between the BMWs and the Spyders I am quite used to revs. I'm not sure I could adjust to a low rpm multi too quickly.

Setting up our trailers to work with the '14's would also cause some headaches and we use them a lot.
??? Why is that? Other than the connector, depending on what year hitch/harness you have, what is the difference?

spyderbirds
02-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Your ryde looks fantastic, lots of us in the same boat, I cant find a reason to not ryde our current spyder for all it is worth.

Heck I'm still tweaking it so I cant start over yet!

Ivorspyder
02-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Your ryde looks fantastic, lots of us in the same boat, I cant find a reason to not ryde our current spyder for all it is worth.

Heck I'm still tweaking it so I cant start over yet!
I agree.I have just turned 26000 miles on my 2012 RT.The bike is running great.I have the bike exactly as I want it.We are looking forward to a month long trip in Colorado ending at The Owners Event.

ivor

Magdave
02-08-2014, 01:27 PM
great shot of your roadster. I really like the clean look with just an accent pinstrpping. Have to agree with you with trading up at this time. This is my first V twin but only because it is a high rpm motor do I love it. Have dealt with parallel twins, singles, inline fours, flat fours, V fours, triples and really like this rotax engine. Ryde on my friend I'll be out there as well...be safe..!! :thumbup:

:agree: I like clean lines not a bunch of stickers and it is a beauty. I do not like white that much but yours makes me think about how they can look good :doorag:

BikerDoc
02-08-2014, 02:32 PM
I switched my trailer over from my 12 to my 14 with very little effort so I also don't understand your problem there..

Pennyrick
02-08-2014, 02:33 PM
??? Why is that? Other than the connector, depending on what year hitch/harness you have, what is the difference?

Scotty:

My wife's trailer was the one she bought with her 2010 RT and mine was bought for my 2011 RT SM. We had them repainted to match the 12's when we bought them but my understanding was that in 2013 the trailer wiring changed dramatically and that the older model trailers were not compatible. If it is just a matter of changing out a plug then one of my arguments for not buying new machines just got defeated.

(I still don't like the brushed aluminum trim and the black wheels though.)

Bob Denman
02-08-2014, 02:46 PM
:congrats: on getting to 1,000 posts! :thumbup:
And your bike looks SuWeet!! :thumbup:

NancysToy
02-08-2014, 03:36 PM
Scotty:

My wife's trailer was the one she bought with her 2010 RT and mine was bought for my 2011 RT SM. We had them repainted to match the 12's when we bought them but my understanding was that in 2013 the trailer wiring changed dramatically and that the older model trailers were not compatible. If it is just a matter of changing out a plug then one of my arguments for not buying new machines just got defeated.

(I still don't like the brushed aluminum trim and the black wheels though.)

Trailer recap.....

2010 - Trailers wired 6-wire (functions like 5-wire) with separate turn signals. Harnesses have 9-pin connector.
2011 - Trailers revert to 4-wire w/o separate turn signals. Harnesses remain 9-pin but utilize 4-wire functionality
2012 - Same as 2011
2013 - Trailer connector changed to square-4. Integral trailer module changed to modular unit with inlet and outlet harnesses.

The 2010 trailers will work on the later 4-wire systems (due to being 6-wire to begin with). The separate turn signals will not function. Changing the connector, making an adapter, or splicing in a second connector may me necessary to mix and match systems. The only combination that causes problems is using a 2011 or later trailer with a 2010 module...the turn signals may not function at all. That's OK, there aren't too many 2010 modules that still function, most of them failed.

ARtraveler
02-08-2014, 03:52 PM
This marks my one thousandth post so it is clear that I am rapidly gaining on Bob D.

I tried to think of something significant to post about as I looked at my Spyder this morning but decided to just post a photo of it sitting in the drive celebrating it's second birthday this weekend. Two year's old and just turned 20,000 miles.

Yesterday I visited the dealer and tried on a 2014 for size. A lot of things I like but the brushed chrome didn't turn me on. It looked as though someone just sprayed it with aluminum paint. As you can tell from my '12, I like chrome. The seating seems lower than my stock seat did on the '12 but about the same as the Ultimate I now have installed.

I like to rev substantially higher than the '14 needs and would miss the sound of the twin. Setting up our trailers to work with the '14's would also cause some headaches and we use them a lot.

So, we will stay with what we have.

Notice how I cleverly talked myself out of spending about forty grand to trade up to two RT Limiteds and trailers?

:congrats: on post 1000. You present a good argument. Thank you. I needed that. Your white RT with the pinstripping is beautiful. :thumbup: