PDA

View Full Version : 2014 trip meter - display question

Jeriatric
02-08-2014, 01:47 AM
Dave took delivery of his spyder today and we got together over coffee to discuss first impressions. Which quite simply went like this. "It's really different". Not in a negative tone but most likely a tone very similar to what many of us may have uttered after our first ride.

He asked a question neither myself or the dealer had an answer for.

Why does the trip meter mileage reading at the bootom of the display flash between the mileage reading and a little orange spyder. I'm stumped.....:dontknow:

Do you know?....................anything to do with eco mode:read:

SpyderAnn01
02-08-2014, 01:57 AM
What? Mine doesn't switch between anything unless the trunk is open. Are you talking about when he is riding it or when it is stopped?

Jeriatric
02-08-2014, 02:06 AM
What? Mine doesn't switch between anything unless the trunk is open. Are you talking about when he is riding it or when it is stopped?

"Riding or stopped." That was my first question too. Per Dave it did it the entire ride home. A hundred miles worth. I saw it myself, but must say it was parked then. But, I have no reason to doubt him. This isn't his first rodeo.

NancysToy
02-08-2014, 09:40 AM
On the previous Spyders, since the 2012 update that reduced limp mode incidents, it indicated a warning. The entire screen usually goes orange when you stop. It reverts to an orange box alternating with the trip meter on my 2011. Is the check engine icon or other warning lit? The check engine no longer relates just to the engine...it can also be triggered by DPS warnings and other functions that used to trip limp mode. Perhaps the 2014 is the same. I'd have it checked on BUDS by the dealer.

Purple Guy
02-08-2014, 09:52 AM
maybe one of the cargo doors are slightly ajar?

:agree:
That would be the easiest place to start.
I'd just open and closes each door and see if that fixes the problem.
If nothing else if it doesn't change you've eliminated that scenario...

Cruzr Joe
02-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Jerbear:

i went out to my 2014 RTS and was able to create the same scenario if i did not close one of the cargo departments properly, it did not appear to be open but it was. i properly closed all compartments and the flashing light quit.

Cruzr Joe

billybovine
02-08-2014, 10:50 AM
I did a quick scan of the 2013 ST, RT and the 2014 RT owners guides and they all mention that fault messages, symbols are displayed in the trip meter location. But I was surprised that there was no guide to the symbols that could be displayed and what they could mean.

Jim&Teresa
02-08-2014, 11:00 AM
That happened to me on one of my first rides on my 2012 RT Limited. My side saddlebag door came open. Check all your latches to make sure they are totally shut.

Good luck!

SpyderAnn01
02-08-2014, 11:15 AM
I thought that when the cargo doors are open, in addition to the small icon in the trip meter, you get a warning on the big part of the screen.

caw001
02-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Dave took delivery of his spyder today and we got together over coffee to discuss first impressions. Which quite simply went like this. "It's really different". Not in a negative tone but most likely a tone very similar to what many of us may have uttered after our first ride.

He asked a question neither myself or the dealer had an answer for.

Why does the trip meter mileage reading at the bootom of the display flash between the mileage reading and a little orange spyder. I'm stumped.....:dontknow:

Do you know?....................anything to do with eco mode:read:

I have only seen this on my 2014 when my rear trunk was not latched...

Cruzr Joe
02-08-2014, 11:18 AM
I thought that when the cargo doors are open, in addition to the small icon in the trip meter, you get a warning on the big part of the screen.

If the cargo door is open you get the full screen, but if you close it and it does not close completely then just the little spyder logo will appear and flash

cruzr joe

Jeriatric
02-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Will pass the info to Dave and will report back. :thumbup:

Update: Failure to properly close the rear trunk.

NancysToy
02-08-2014, 12:26 PM
You do when stopped, but when moving you only see the small orange box. I have been surprised by that a few times...didn't notice the orange box while riding, then saw the whole display light up when I parked...knowing full well that I must have neglected to close the lid when I left the store ten minutes earlier.

Bob Denman
02-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Been there... done that... got the sign for it... :opps:

ARtraveler
02-08-2014, 04:08 PM
It also sounds like cargo door to me.