PDA

View Full Version : Adding Heat to a Stock Seat

Texas
02-06-2014, 12:19 PM
This question could apply to any Spyder for that matter, but of course I am really wondering if anyone has added heating elements to their stock RT seat. The 2014 stock seat is very comfortable to me, so I have no interest in upgrading the seat to another. Has anyone done this, or thought about doing this? This is definately something I would like to pursue.

Bob Denman
02-06-2014, 12:34 PM
I think that Motorcycle Dave does that...
Throw out a PM to him, and double-check though; my memory is the second thing to go, and I forgot what the first one was! :shocked:

Here's a link to his site...
http://www.motorcycledave.com/

Chupaca
02-06-2014, 12:35 PM
have not seen it. Heating pad added perhaps. Taking the seat apart to install heating elements may end up changing the comfort you like. Don't know if the materials in your stock seat are suitable. Not having or ever used this don't know how effective they are. I have never had a problem with my butt or palms for that matter getting cold. Now fingers and knuckles, thighs and knees are another story..those that have made a mod like this will no doubt let you know...:thumbup:

cuznjohn
02-06-2014, 12:41 PM
eat lots of beans i do and it works great

Rando
02-06-2014, 12:49 PM
This is what I purchased. I'm extremely happy with it!

http://www.thepropad.com/heated-gel-seat-pads/

acinpcola
02-06-2014, 01:20 PM

Rando, what size did you order? Thanks

Bob Denman
02-06-2014, 02:06 PM
eat lots of beans i do and it works great

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_12.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_12.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_12.gif Just be careful... 82861

Rando
02-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Rando, what size did you order? ThanksThis is the one I purchased.

http://www.thepropad.com/touring-vinyl-heated-gel-seat-pad/

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?44598-the-ultimate-seat-pad!&highlight=Seat

cabodan
02-06-2014, 06:17 PM
Where do you wire it to or can you wire to heated grips

spyderjim
02-06-2014, 07:56 PM

http://www.thepropad.com/heated-gel-seat-pads/What size did you get?

szohar
02-06-2014, 10:22 PM
Roger,

How hard is to install it on the OEM seat?

Do you have to disassemble to cushion.

Texas
02-07-2014, 01:17 AM
Great post Roger! So I have a few questions:

For one, are the included switches waterproof? If so, I'm hoping the size of them will fit in locations I already have in mind. For the passenger seat, there is a round hole cover just below the left grip (above the saddlebag). The driver location would be where the switch cluster is in the center. There is a blank rectangular cover where I would hope to put the switch.

Second, Do the pads affect the comfort of the seat, and do the pads move around in any way under the skin?

Also, do you know how many watts each one of them use when they are on full power?

I must say the price is very attractive. How can one think of not putting them on for that price?

Texas
02-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Well Roger, you sold me! I'm going to do exactly the same thing you did, with the additional of adding heat to the driver's backrest. When I'm done, this will give me the best heat setup I've ever had on a bike, as my other ones only provides heat on the seating surfaces and not the backrests. I already ordered the heating elements, and I will add the fact that the elements are made of cabon fiber. Being made of carbon fiber, they should be stronger, more flexible, thinner, and provide more even heat and be a bit more efficent; so I thank you for the link. I actually ordered from a different link that gives me four pads and two controllers for just $49!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PJ334G/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When you click on the link, it looks like they changed the price already. I think it is only $45/with shipping now. This will probably end up being the cheapest, best bang for the buck farkle I'll ever end up doing on my RTS. Thanks again for getting me started on this Roger!

chipshotin
02-09-2014, 05:56 PM
This question could apply to any Spyder for that matter, but of course I am really wondering if anyone has added heating elements to their stock RT seat. The 2014 stock seat is very comfortable to me, so I have no interest in upgrading the seat to another. Has anyone done this, or thought about doing this? This is definately something I would like to pursue.

my dealer added a heat trace to both pilot on co pilot seat with independent toggle switches for bout 250 bucks ...well worth it for those cold mornings going to work or as today the Frost Ball run....

Texas
02-19-2014, 10:25 AM
Well, I purchased the kit on Amazon for about $50. It arrived, and I cut them to size for the seat, driver backrest and passenger backrest. I took apart the seat and backrests, inserted the pads, and will get the RT put back together tonight. The pads came with Hi/Low switches, which fit perfectly for the passenger control, but for the driver control, I ordered (and it arrived yesterday) a retangular rocker switch to fit in the center cluster. I should have the entire project wrapped up by the weekend for just over $60. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Bob Denman
02-19-2014, 12:23 PM
:2thumbs:
Question:
What type, and length staples will you use to button things back up?
(My biggest fear: taking the seat apart... and not being able to get it back together! :yikes:)

Texas
02-19-2014, 02:47 PM
:2thumbs:
Question:
What type, and length staples will you use to button things back up?
(My biggest fear: taking the seat apart... and not being able to get it back together! :yikes:)

That is the question that was never answered to my satisfaction, which would have been "with replacement staples, same as stock". So here's the deal, the stock staples are a light duty, .25" with a crown of I think about .25". Now as far as I can tell, these staples cannot be found in the public sector of the U.S. The boys in Canada might be using that staple to bind every known product ever produced, but apparently Canada has not shared with the U.S. their source for the staples.

That being said, I ended up using my heavy duty staples that are .25" with a .625" crown. The key is to make sure the staple is .25" in depth (so it doesn't end up poking through the seat). However, the heavy duty staples do not like to penetrate the seat pan. If you have a solid push on the gun so that it is very firmly against the pan; you stand a chance of a "ok" tack. However, the pan is curved, I was doing mine on a carpeted floor which has give, yada yada...I have results I'm not happy with. On top, the seat looks great! You can't tell that I took it apart.

But I am a perfectionist. If you look underneath at the staples, they aren't the same size as originals, they don't look like a robot did them, etc... But it works. Like our other bikes, this one now has heated seats, and that was the one requirement from my wife when I purchased the RT. For about $60, I think dollar for dollar, it will be the best farkle I'll ever have on the RT; and for those who have the time and patience, I highly recommend it. I know Roger will attest to the value of it, and while it takes a fair amount of time to do, the smile on my wife's face makes it all worthwhile.

SNOOPY
02-19-2014, 02:49 PM
I'm not sure I get this thread? I thought the RT seats were getting hot on their own? :yikes:

Lol

Texas
02-19-2014, 03:05 PM
I'm not sure I get this thread? I thought the RT seats were getting hot on their own? :yikes:

Lol

Apparantly that is a feature they left off of the 2014s. Maybe in 2013 BRP thought they were doing everyone a favor by adding that feature; but since no one liked it, they got rid of it :joke:

Texas
02-20-2014, 08:37 AM
I spent the better part of last night just getting the stock seat mounted back on the RT. I'm convinced that when BRP engineers designed the mounting points of the seat, their intention was for the user to not be able to remove the seat, and if they did, to make it impossible to be reinstalled by the user (sort of like the security screws on a cable TV box).

Now that I have reinstalled it successfully, I hereby certify myself as a Spyder RT Seat Installer. This being said, there was no time or patience left at the end of the night to do the electrical work that needs to be done to make the heat activate, however, I did pop the center blank cover where the switch cluster is (as this is where I'm installing a matching rectangular rocker switch) to find that those BRP scoundrels only left a .5" hole there. So I already know that tonight will be spent to carefully cut a rectangular hole here to accommodate the new switch.

Bob Denman
02-20-2014, 08:43 AM
"T",
Quarter-inch... Thanks! :thumbup:
Time to decide if I can gather up enough bravery, for this sort of thing... :shocked:

Texas
02-20-2014, 12:26 PM
Good luck Bob. It isn't what I would consider to be a hard project. It is more time consuming than anything else, but I'm sure the second you hit that heat switch so you can keep riding another hour or more, it will all be worth it. :thumbup:

Texas
02-20-2014, 02:24 PM
Thanks Roger. I wonder how many of us there are now.

Texas
02-21-2014, 01:48 PM
I wrapped up this project late last night. Roger, my question for you is do you feel a lot of heat from these units (like with a traditional heated seat), and do your seats heat up quickly? Do you feel any noticeable heat on the low setting, or do you always use the high setting?

The reason I ask; even though I tested the pads before I installed them, and felt them heat up, just turning them on for 5 minutes while sitting in the garage with the key on accessory (RT was not started), I felt a light amount of heat, but it didn't feel anywhere as hot as my stock BMW or Triumph seats (I don't know if those seats are traditional wire or carbon fiber).

Motorcycledave
02-21-2014, 09:16 PM
I stock and sell the Heat Demon seat heaters you can install yourself it is easy.
Kit Features, Independent Heat Control for each seat warmer, Hi / Lo rocker switch
30 watt carbon fiber seat warmers
Easy do it yourself installation
Reverse Polarity and short circuit protection
Low Voltage auto shut off feature
DC Direct Power Port rated at 10 Amps
Switch can be mounted to the seat or in the body

And now you know the rest of the story.... "sounds like Paul Harvey" :thumbup:
Ride Safe
Dave

Motorcycledave
02-21-2014, 09:21 PM
They are great and they work well until some one steals it :yikes:while your inside having coffee or ?????

Texas
02-21-2014, 11:12 PM
very rarely do I ever have them on high and then it's not for long.

Are you sure they were powered up with the key on?

Yes, they were powered up, lights on, key on accessory, but the engine was not started (maybe it needs to be to deliver the proper current flow). Maybe I just didn't give it long enough. This weekend we'll test it on our rides.

SNOOPY
02-22-2014, 08:11 AM
Yes, they were powered up, lights on, key on accessory, but the engine was not started (maybe it needs to be to deliver the proper current flow). Maybe I just didn't give it long enough. This weekend we'll test it on our rides.

I would guess that anything that draws higher amps like a heating device is on the side of the system that requires the engine running so that it doesn't draw down and kill the battery.

Only high amp draw item that usually is not are headlamps on most vehicles, I guess for safety reasons.

Texas
02-23-2014, 11:11 PM
Well, we went out on a nice ride Saturday. I told my wife to turn her seat on, and see how long it takes to get warm. I turned mine on as well. Within 30 seconds I felt a significant amount of heat, my wife also said that her seat was getting quite warm as well. Was this because the bike was running, going done the road at 45 mph, or what? I don't know, but they work, and they work well. :thumbup:

NancysToy
02-23-2014, 11:39 PM
Well, we went out on a nice ride Saturday. I told my wife to turn her seat on, and see how long it takes to get warm. I turned mine on as well. Within 30 seconds I felt a significant amount of heat, my wife also said that her seat was getting quite warm as well. Was this because the bike was running, going done the road at 45 mph, or what? I don't know, but they work, and they work well. :thumbup:
It depends on how you wired it. The Spyder has a load shedding relay that controls several circuits, of the engine must be running to energize those, you can't merely turn the key on. If you use one of those circuits to feed the accessory or to trigger an auxiliary fuse block, the connected loads will need to have the engine running to work.