PDA

View Full Version : milage issue

Questions
02-05-2014, 09:23 PM
I have a 2012 rt. It seems to be running fine but the mileage has dropped from 33mpg to 24mpg almost over night. Not riding any different. The dealer put it on the computer and updated it but it didn't help. There were no error codes either. I am baffled. Has anyone had this problem.

NancysToy
02-05-2014, 09:48 PM
Typically this indicates an ignition problem...usually a bad plug wire. I suggest replacement with a set of BajaRon plug wires...much better than OEM.. I'd also replace the spark plugs at that time. Other possibilities include a bad coil or faulty ECM.

crazyspyder
02-05-2014, 09:58 PM
:shocked:naw , I have the 2012 RT as well and have not had this issue. if it's under warranty - let the tech have the head ache!:banghead:

NancysToy
02-05-2014, 10:06 PM
:shocked:naw , I have the 2012 RT as well and have not had this issue. if it's under warranty - let the tech have the head ache!:banghead:

They may not address it under warranty unless the problem is obvious or hasd other symptoms. I was told BRP considered anything between 16 and 40 to be acceptable mileage for the RT.

spacetiger
02-05-2014, 10:15 PM
How many tanks of gas have you run through getting 24 mpg; just 1 or several? It might be possible its the gas if it has only been 1 tank.

Jerry

Chupaca
02-05-2014, 11:53 PM
what kind of mileage do you have on the roadster. Scotty is right, also make sure to give it time (several tankfuls) what with weather change and distance of your rydes and where your ryding also can affect your mileage...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
02-06-2014, 07:58 AM
Bad wires, or bad gas... :shocked:
Both are pretty easy to fix; once you know which one it is... :thumbup:
I'd pop for the wires, in order to rule that them out. They are definitely worthwhile! nojoke

OJ UK
02-06-2014, 08:12 AM
Bad wires, or bad gas... :shocked:
Both are pretty easy to fix; once you know which one it is... :thumbup:
I'd pop for the wires, in order to rule that them out. They are definitely worthwhile! nojoke

.....and I think BajaRon can help with the wires!! Hope you get it sorted out! :thumbup:

Questions
02-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Typically this indicates an ignition problem...usually a bad plug wire. I suggest replacement with a set of BajaRon plug wires...much better than OEM.. I'd also replace the spark plugs at that time. Other possibilities include a bad coil or faulty ECM.

thanks for the info I'll give it a try. Where can I get the plug wires?

Questions
02-06-2014, 10:09 AM

How many tanks of gas have you run through getting 24 mpg; just 1 or several? It might be possible its the gas if it has only been 1 tank.

Jerry

I have run several tank fulls.

Questions
02-06-2014, 10:14 AM
what kind of mileage do you have on the roadster. Scotty is right, also make sure to give it time (several tankfuls) what with weather change and distance of your rydes and where your ryding also can affect your mileage...:thumbup:

I have 14000 plus. I am driving in Florida right now however I came down from New Hampshire in Dec. It seemed to start after my last oil change. I didn't have this problem last year going from one state to the other. Going to try the wires and plugs.

wyliec
02-06-2014, 11:25 AM
For those that said plug wires, wouldn't you feel the engine breaking up, especially under hard acceleration?

bmwlarry
02-06-2014, 11:58 AM
​This happened on my BMW K1200LT and it turned out to be a bad O2 sensor.

Bob Denman
02-06-2014, 12:01 PM
BajaRon sells the Plug Wires... :2thumbs:
He's a site sponsor, and can set you up, with what you need.

OJ UK
02-06-2014, 02:16 PM
thanks for the info I'll give it a try. Where can I get the plug wires?

Go to the Home Page scroll down a little and click on BajaRon. He's a great guy to deal with and everything he sells
has been proven by riders' experiences. :thumbup:

ThreeWheels
02-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Have you paid any attention to the temperature readout ?
Does the temperature indicator show the engine as cold even though it's been running for a while and you can feel the heat ?
Often times, a bad temperature sensor makes the ECM think the engine is cold so it pours in tons of gas to enrich the mixture sort of like the old choke mechanism.
Especially if you had the Spyder serviced. Perhaps it's just a wire that got accidently knocked off the sensor.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee

Questions
02-06-2014, 04:50 PM
They may not address it under warranty unless the problem is obvious or hasd other symptoms. I was told BRP considered anything between 16 and 40 to be acceptable mileage for the RT.

I check the air filter today and it is clean so I am going to try plugs and wires. I was looking at it today and I can see one plug but not the other. I am assuming that the intake has to be removed to get to the front cylinder. Is there a service manual available for these?

Questions
02-06-2014, 05:14 PM
Have you paid any attention to the temperature readout ?
Does the temperature indicator show the engine as cold even though it's been running for a while and you can feel the heat ?
Often times, a bad temperature sensor makes the ECM think the engine is cold so it pours in tons of gas to enrich the mixture sort of like the old choke mechanism.
Especially if you had the Spyder serviced. Perhaps it's just a wire that got accidently knocked off the sensor.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee

The temp gage appears to be working fine and when the dealer put it on the computer there were no codes so I would say the temp sensor is ok. But thanks for the input and I especially appreciate the guarantee. LOL

Sarge707
02-06-2014, 05:29 PM
The temp gage appears to be working fine and when the dealer put it on the computer there were no codes so I would say the temp sensor is ok. But thanks for the input and I especially appreciate the guarantee. LOL

Replacing the Plugs and wires on a RT is a "Bear" of a job as many have said before me!
Just be warned its Not a easy job for the average Spyder owner?nojoke

Good Luck and I would get the Online Manual!

Bob Denman
02-06-2014, 05:58 PM
:agree: Having the Shop Manual handy; is just a bit more than "suggested"... :shocked: nojoke

Yazz
02-06-2014, 06:29 PM
I check the air filter today and it is clean so I am going to try plugs and wires. I was looking at it today and I can see one plug but not the other. I am assuming that the intake has to be removed to get to the front cylinder. Is there a service manual available for these?

Checking your plug wires is easy. Take the side panel off where you found the spark plug. In a darkened room, turn on the engine. Look for light arcing from the wires and listen for a snapping sound.

Arcing and snapping = bad plug wires.

Bob Denman
02-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Arcing and snapping = bad plug wires.And THAT means; A trip to Ron's... :thumbup:
But we're hoping that you see nothing! ;):thumbup:

Yazz
02-06-2014, 07:18 PM
And THAT means; A trip to Ron's... :thumbup:
But we're hoping that you see nothing! ;):thumbup:

Hoping you don't see anything either!

Just a simple test and you can cross plug wires off your list of things that might be wrong.;)

MikeinGA
02-06-2014, 09:59 PM
I have a 2012 rt. It seems to be running fine but the mileage has dropped from 33mpg to 24mpg almost over night. Not riding any different. The dealer put it on the computer and updated it but it didn't help. There were no error codes either. I am baffled. Has anyone had this problem.

When I bought my 2011 RS-S SE5 new I got 34 mpg at 1000 miles, at 3,000 miles it went down to 26 mpg. When I took out the stock air filter it had a lot oil on it. I changed the air filter to a K&N air filter and replaced the spark plugs and the spark plug wires that I bought from BajaRon. The gas mileage went up to 36.8 mpg. I did a lot of other mods, now I get 41 mpg on the highway and 38 on the mountain roads.

Mike

doug1950
02-08-2014, 12:40 PM
When I bought my 2011 RS-S SE5 new I got 34 mpg at 1000 miles, at 3,000 miles it went down to 26 mpg. When I took out the stock air filter it had a lot oil on it. I changed the air filter to a K&N air filter and replaced the spark plugs and the spark plug wires that I bought from BajaRon. The gas mileage went up to 36.8 mpg. I did a lot of other mods, now I get 41 mpg on the highway and 38 on the mountain roads.

Mike

Mike other then the filter and plugs and wire what else did you do to get that type of mileage ?????????????????????:yikes:

MikeinGA
02-11-2014, 05:40 PM
Mike other then the filter and plugs and wire what else did you do to get that type of mileage ?????????????????????:yikes:

Here it is Doug:

Better Gas Mileage for my 2011 RS-S
1. Check the front and rear wheel alignment and correct if not aligned.
2. Clean fuel system. I use Seafoam twice a year. In the fall and spring.
Stabilize gas that contains alcohol. I use Marine Stable,
at 1/2 oz. per 5 gallons of gas.
3. Use 89+ octane gas.
4. Tire pressure that are correct for your Spyder.
5. Synthetic motorcycle oil. I use Amsoil 10-40 synthetic motorcycle oil. There
are a lot of brand names on the market to choose
from.
6. Air filter. I use a K&N air filter in my 2011 RS-S
7. A catch can. This is a filter to keep the dirty oil out of the air box
and the engine throttle bodies.

This is Bajaron's oil catch can setup.

1. Universal glass fuel filter. It does come with hose barb fittings but none were used. (to bulky)
2. Foam, Foam installed & the fuel filter & gasket that I removed from the fuel filter.
3. The new setup connected to the engine. (Be sure not to cut the vent hose to short.
easy fix if you would happen to though)
To sum it up, it is a very cheap & easy mod to keep the oil out of the air box.
My only consideration in the process that I didn't do was to take the nut ends of the filter to the grinder & make them round,
so the trip into the hose would be smoother, but I didn't & all went well. The below are how to pics.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5891&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1311883552
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5895&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1311883552
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5896&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1311883552
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5897&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1311883552
8. Riding techniques.

1. When pulling out without traffic, get to speed by shifting at 5,000 rpm's.
2. When on highways run the rpms at 5,000 to 6,000 to maintane speed.
3. When on other road run the rpms above 4,500 to keep in the engines powerband.
4. When starting a cold engine, let it warm up for 1 or 2 minutes.
5. When ridding do not let your gas tank go below a 1/4 of a tank of gas.
When you get less that 2 gallons in the tank the gas will stat to evaporate at a high
rate and the gas/alcohol starts to separate. If the Spyder stopped and engine is hot the gas will
start to boil.
9. Spark plugs and wires. Use Iridium spark plugs and custom ignition wires, I got mine from BajRon and
they are high quality parts.

That's IMHO.