PDA

View Full Version : MAN what a day-

Lamonster
08-04-2008, 05:44 AM
I started off feeling a little sick when I left Cheyenne yesterday so I wasn't sure how far I was going to make it.:sour: Tuned out it was going to be one of those days.

My first issue is my cruise control quit working and I'm not sure why. Man you sure get use to having that thing on a long trip.

Next I lost all the air in my air ride. I must of got a piece of dirt or something in it but the last 900 miles or so is going to be on a hardtail.

Next it was hot, real hot. Most of the trip through Utah was in the 100+ range and that was really taking it out of me. I stopped for some gas and to get a room about 500 miles into the trip and the power was out in the whole town because of the heat. The good news is I did have another 2 gal. of fuel that I brought with me and the next town was suppose to have fuel. I drove another 14 miles out of the way and guess what, that town lost it's power too. So now I'm getting real low and not sure if I'm going to make it. I stopped at the next town and their power was out too. So now I know I'm going to run out I just don't know where. There are cars and bike parked all over the place and I knew I was next. I dropped it down to 50 mph on the highway and I just made it over the last hill and coasted in to the last fuel stop on 80. I had .3 gals left so I ran it about as far as I ever have. wound up driving another 200 miles so I'm about 100 miles outside of Vegas right now.

That was a 700+ day and I hope the last leg of my trip will go better. Keep me in your thoughts.:doorag:

SpyderMark
08-04-2008, 06:56 AM
I started off feeling a little sick when I left Cheyenne yesterday so I wasn't sure how far I was going to make it.:sour: Tuned out it was going to be one of those days. That was a 700+ day and I hope the last leg of my trip will go better. Keep me in your thoughts.:doorag:

Dude,

If you could just make it to the top of Donner Pass you could coast the rest of the way into CA!

Seriously, take it easy and stay hydrated -- you're supposed to be having fun!

Good luck,

Mark

Magic Man
08-04-2008, 07:17 AM
I told you to RIDE SAFE yeasterday morning when you left. You never listen to me! LOL :D

Really take it easy there is no reason to beat yourself.

Getting the the extra gas for inthe trailer can when you were here was a good idea though.:thumbup:

MM

sleepman
08-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Dude,

If you could just make it to the top of Donner Pass you could coast the rest of the way into CA!

Donner Pass, now that's probably the last place I'd want to run out of gas.:yikes:

Seriously though, ride safe.

captainryder
08-04-2008, 08:51 AM
An awesome trip! :2thumbs:

But those 700 - 1000 mile "day" trips have to be taking a toll. Of course I'm sure you've been messing up your yellow rear fender with those cute little state souvenier decals. You should have about six or eight by now. Is there room for the five or eight more you'll be collecting? :joke:

By the way, when you see the Pacific Ocean, your GPS should tell you there is no more road west. :clap:(West rhymes with R E S T )

Perhaps we need a new mod, a saddle bag that coverts into a spare fuel tank... (for those who want to really ride, ride, ride, ride).

Spydertm
08-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Lamonster, It was a pleasure meeting you at Sturgis. You and every other owner are the best ambassadors that Spyder could ever ask for! Yesterday we were so busy and did over 130 demo rides. Today we look to be even busier. I would like to personally invite any Spyder owner at Sturgis to come to the demo site!! We love having you there!!! Thanks again, Todd

Greg H.
08-04-2008, 09:54 AM
700 miles in a single day! Wow! That's a lot! But, overall; sounds like a great time. I cannot imagine the heat out there this time of year!

Take good care! And, thanks for all the great reports, Lamont! :clap:

Spydroe
08-04-2008, 09:54 AM
When you do finally get back home at least you can look forward to a nice tri-tip dinner. Ride safe, roknroe.

Spydroe
08-04-2008, 10:24 AM
:yes:Hey Lamont, if your headed back home on wed, thurs, or friday maybe I could meet up with you somewhere. If you came up the coast from SD I could meet you over at Johns in Grover Beach and we could get you a real tri-tip sandwich and you would have a place to stay. If you came I-5 or 99 I could meet you too and have a place to stay. We could be the talk of the town with are Bushtec trailers in tow, don't you know and csmead is also here with her yellow spyder. You would also have a place to do any work/ oil change you may need to do. Let me know.

Mosa
08-04-2008, 10:29 AM
hey LeMont... whataday indeed... suggestion... I know yer an earlybird morning person, try riding at late nite/early morning to beat the heat... just stay on interstates to ensure U have gas stops...

Good luck Brutha!

Mosa

ataDude
08-04-2008, 10:37 AM
700 miles in a single day! Wow! That's a lot! But, overall; sounds like a great time. I cannot imagine the heat out there this time of year!

Take good care! And, thanks for all the great reports, Lamont! :clap:

He ran 1,175 in a single day not too long ago. :clap:

Take care, Lamont!

Greg H.
08-04-2008, 10:48 AM
He ran 1,175 in a single day not too long ago. :clap:

Take care, Lamont!

Wow! :yikes: I cannot imagine driving 'even' a car or truck that far in one day! I told myself a few years back after making the Memphis to Dallas trip a number of times (475 miles), that's the limit for me!

And, I remember in 1987, driving over 600 miles in a single day between Dallas and El Paso. That was terrible! And, part of reason for that is there is nothing to see on that route! :(

spyder3rdr
08-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Hey Lamonster , you called me hardcore ... You have that title ALL to yourself !!! Ryde safe and we are all wishing you the best !!!

pphantom538
08-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Fare thee well.

spyderrider44
08-04-2008, 08:13 PM
:chill: Lamontster i hope tommorw is a better day for you. Good luck on fixing the air ride that has to be bad hardtailing it at least the higway out of Vegas is good at least the last time i rode it . Wish you were going to be closer to me (central Ca.) Modesto, would love to meet you.
Ride safe and hope you stay healthy,also.:2thumbs:

Lamonster
08-04-2008, 10:08 PM
I told you to RIDE SAFE yeasterday morning when you left. You never listen to me! LOL :D

Really take it easy there is no reason to beat yourself.

Getting the the extra gas for inthe trailer can when you were here was a good idea though.:thumbup:

MM

I went about 220 miles before getting fuel so without that can I would have ran out a long time before. :shocked:

Lamonster, It was a pleasure meeting you at Sturgis. You and every other owner are the best ambassadors that Spyder could ever ask for! Yesterday we were so busy and did over 130 demo rides. Today we look to be even busier. I would like to personally invite any Spyder owner at Sturgis to come to the demo site!! We love having you there!!! Thanks again, Todd

It was good to meet you too Bro. I was torn about leaving but I was there all week and it was time to roll. I hope you have a great turnout and you tell them about SpyderLovers.com :doorag: Thanks again for everything.:spyder:

:yes:Hey Lamont, if your headed back home on wed, thurs, or friday maybe I could meet up with you somewhere. If you came up the coast from SD I could meet you over at Johns in Grover Beach and we could get you a real tri-tip sandwich and you would have a place to stay. If you came I-5 or 99 I could meet you too and have a place to stay. We could be the talk of the town with are Bushtec trailers in tow, don't you know and csmead is also here with her yellow spyder. You would also have a place to do any work/ oil change you may need to do. Let me know.

I would love to Bro but I don't see me heading north right now. I have a lot of stuff packed into this week. Hope to we can hookup next time. :doorag:

hey LeMont... whataday indeed... suggestion... I know yer an earlybird morning person, try riding at late nite/early morning to beat the heat... just stay on interstates to ensure U have gas stops...

Good luck Brutha!

Mosa

When I pulled in last night it was still 92 degrees at 9:30pm :shocked:
It was cooler this morning though. :doorag:

Hey Lamonster , you called me hardcore ... You have that title ALL to yourself !!! Ryde safe and we are all wishing you the best !!!

Hey I'm sure you would have been right there with me Bro, :doorag:

:chill: Lamontster i hope tommorw is a better day for you. Good luck on fixing the air ride that has to be bad hardtailing it at least the higway out of Vegas is good at least the last time i rode it . Wish you were going to be closer to me (central Ca.) Modesto, would love to meet you.
Ride safe and hope you stay healthy,also.:2thumbs:

I got the air to hold for about 30 miles at a time so it wasn't too bad.

It was very hot today too and I got about a block from home and the Spyder went into limp mode. My guess is it was just hot. After a trip to the car wash it was fine. I think the Spyder has a cooling issue that I'm going to work onwhen get back home. My plans are to put my stock shock back on for the trip home and then figure out what the deal is. For now it's time to chill in Dago.:thumbup:

trikester
08-05-2008, 10:46 AM
I got the air to hold for about 30 miles at a time so it wasn't too bad.

It was very hot today too and I got about a block from home and the Spyder went into limp mode. My guess is it was just hot. After a trip to the car wash it was fine. I think the Spyder has a cooling issue that I'm going to work onwhen get back home. My plans are to put my stock shock back on for the trip home and then figure out what the deal is. For now it's time to chill in Dago.:thumbup:[/quote]

Lamontster - I'm guessing from your recent posts that the Saturday ride from Santa Ysabel (Julian ride) is no longer on your to do list. Smokester needs to know that the ride is off, also.

I have my Spyder here at my Anza-Borrego Desert cabin (Canebrake) and will probably do some rides from here this week if it doesn't get too hot. Right now we have a possibility of thunderstorms.

Have a great rest of your epic trip!

Frank (Trikester)

Lamonster
08-05-2008, 10:51 AM
I just rode 900 miles the way it is now so a ride to the Mountains is still on for me. I don't get discouraged that easy Bro. :doorag:

Lamontster - I'm guessing from your recent posts that the Saturday ride from Santa Ysabel (Julian ride) is no longer on your to do list. Smokester needs to know that the ride is off, also.

I have my Spyder here at my Anza-Borrego Desert cabin (Canebrake) and will probably do some rides from here this week if it doesn't get too hot. Right now we have a possibility of thunderstorms.

Have a great rest of your epic trip!

Frank (Trikester)

dltang
08-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Hey Lamont,
Glad to hear your ride is going well (mostly). Keep it safe and continue to have that great attitude and enjoy yourself. You are riding in one day (sometimes two) what we rode for a weekend. That is amazing. I give you credit, I don't think my butt could do it. Anyways, you are in my prayers and say hello to all the new spyder friends you make along the way.
Deb

Lamonster
08-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Hey Lamont,
Glad to hear your ride is going well (mostly). Keep it safe and continue to have that great attitude and enjoy yourself. You are riding in one day (sometimes two) what we rode for a weekend. That is amazing. I give you credit, I don't think my butt could do it. Anyways, you are in my prayers and say hello to all the new spyder friends you make along the way.
Deb

Thanks for the prayers Deb. :doorag::thumbup:

trikester
08-05-2008, 04:00 PM
I just rode 900 miles the way it is now so a ride to the Mountains is still on for me. I don't get discouraged that easy Bro. :doorag:

OK, I'll see you in Santa Ysabel at noon Saturday. We can ride to the Hideout for lunch (on me), then up to Julian and kick around there for awhile. :cheers: At that point I'll probably head back down the mountain to my desert place but you could continue south on the Sunrise Highway (stays up in the mountains) to Interstate 8 and back to SD if you want to. :)

I hope Smokester is still on for this ride I haven't heard from him in awhile and he doesn't accept e-mails through the forum. Maybe you could contact him.

Frank

Lamonster
08-05-2008, 05:01 PM
OK, I'll see you in Santa Ysabel at noon Saturday. We can ride to the Hideout for lunch (on me), then up to Julian and kick around there for awhile. :cheers: At that point I'll probably head back down the mountain to my desert place but you could continue south on the Sunrise Highway (stays up in the mountains) to Interstate 8 and back to SD if you want to. :)

I hope Smokester is still on for this ride I haven't heard from him in awhile and he doesn't accept e-mails through the forum. Maybe you could contact him.

Frank
Well things are up in the air again Bro. My Spyder is stuck in "Limp Home Mode" and I don't think even a little blue pill will fix this one.:(

I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer here to see if they can come pick me up and hope they can fix it before Sat.:dontknow:

tatt2r
08-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Well things are up in the air again Bro. My Spyder is stuck in "Limp Home Mode" and I don't think even a little blue pill will fix this one.:(

I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer here to see if they can come pick me up and hope they can fix it before Sat.:dontknow:

what happens when spyder goes into limp home mode ... doesnt sound good ???

Lamonster
08-05-2008, 06:30 PM
what happens when spyder goes into limp home mode ... doesnt sound good ???

In my case the Spyder won't do over 40mph and I had to call a tow truck to haul me into Fun Bike Center. Good thing I have AAA:doorag:

dltang
08-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Don't forget to have them check something as simple as a new instrument cluster. That was my entire problem with my Spyder. Installed a different cluster and all the problems went away. Keep us posted and I hope everything turns out okay and that it is a quick and easy repair.

Lamonster
08-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Don't forget to have them check something as simple as a new instrument cluster. That was my entire problem with my Spyder. Installed a different cluster and all the problems went away. Keep us posted and I hope everything turns out okay and that it is a quick and easy repair.

Did you have the same issues? ABS failure/ Check DPS/ Limp home mode?

dltang
08-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Did you have the same issues? ABS failure/ Check DPS/ Limp home mode?

It started out with just the check engine light. By the time I got to the dealership the second time all of the above came on. Funny thing was, nothing seemed wrong with the spyder. It was running just fine and not giving me any troubles or making any noises. It went into limp mode last thing as I pulled into the actual service area. Had the dealership been any further away, I would have had to limp all the way there. It is just an idea. I don't know if you were having any other problems with your spyder or not or if it just went into all these failure modes. Sure hope you get to the bottom of it quickly.

Lamonster
08-05-2008, 09:48 PM
It started out with just the check engine light. By the time I got to the dealership the second time all of the above came on. Funny thing was, nothing seemed wrong with the spyder. It was running just fine and not giving me any troubles or making any noises. It went into limp mode last thing as I pulled into the actual service area. Had the dealership been any further away, I would have had to limp all the way there. It is just an idea. I don't know if you were having any other problems with your spyder or not or if it just went into all these failure modes. Sure hope you get to the bottom of it quickly.

Mine would steer hard when it would throw the error. I just hope that it will do the samething when it's at the dealer and they can know for sure they fixed it.

Mad Matt
08-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Hmmmmm......

Mine is at the dealer right now and had all those symptoms...are we seeing a pattern here?? Mine did not go into limp home mode, it just up and died in the middle of the road. Then it would only run for a minute or so and just cut off. We were getting a Can Bus error at the dealer when they hooked it up to the computer. They said they found a bad relay...waiting on parts now....

Being mostly a Honda rider, I am not used to sitting on the side of the road broke down and watching Harleys ride by.....

Mad Matt:mad:

Greg H.
08-06-2008, 05:47 AM
Hmmmmm......

Mine is at the dealer right now and had all those symptoms...are we seeing a pattern here?? Mine did not go into limp home mode, it just up and died in the middle of the road. Then it would only run for a minute or so and just cut off. We were getting a Can Bus error at the dealer when they hooked it up to the computer. They said they found a bad relay...waiting on parts now....

Being mostly a Honda rider, I am not used to sitting on the side of the road broke down and watching Harleys ride by.....

Mad Matt:mad:

Sorry to hear of your situation, Lamont. And, yours too, Matt!

Sounds like maybe a case of too much technology?:dontknow: Typically, motorcycles don't just stop running, do they? Or, go into 'Limp Mode'?! That's a bit scary to me. Interesting that BRP even has such a message. But, I suppose with all the 'technology' that the Spyder has (VSS, ABS, DPS, etc,,,), it's needed - just in case. :( But, it sure doesn't give me a warm and cozy, knowing that I could be on a trip, and all of a sudden, the Spyder just stops dead. :mad: I mean; when is the last time you ever saw a Honda Goldwing, or any other bike for that matter, just stopped on the side of the road? Of course it happens if the gas tank is dry. It's a rare occurrence, however.

Oh well; since I discovered it, I have thought the Spyder, an Exotic! And, like most exotic cars, they aren't the same animal as they typical Honda, etc,,,. :shocked:

NancysToy
08-06-2008, 06:55 AM
I have been broken down beside the road, even with my BMWs. In fact, the Beemer community has a strong support system in place for just this eventuality. It boils down to miles...if you ride enough, you will break down. (In the case of my old Triumph, if you even thought about riding...) Motorcycles come with a toolkit for a reason, unfortunately. Too bad this one doesn't come with a diagnostics laptop. :) All we can do in these situations is to have road service available, and hope for the best. I hope you aren't stranded, Lamont. We'll all keep our fingers crossed for you.
-Scotty

aubierules
08-06-2008, 07:40 AM
Lamont.....man u ARE hardcore! I cant imagine riding so long in that heat, being sick, and having all the mechanical problems to boot...Dont push yourself past the point of fun, unless of course, fun for u is seeig how much u can torture yourself! ;) be safe!!:2thumbs:

Greg H.
08-06-2008, 08:57 AM
I have been broken down beside the road, even with my BMWs. In fact, the Beemer community has a strong support system in place for just this eventuality. It boils down to miles...if you ride enough, you will break down. (In the case of my old Triumph, if you even thought about riding...) Motorcycles come with a toolkit for a reason, unfortunately. Too bad this one doesn't come with a diagnostics laptop. :) All we can do in these situations is to have road service available, and hope for the best. I hope you aren't stranded, Lamont. We'll all keep our fingers crossed for you.
-Scotty

I know.... it can happen. :sour:

And, you know we're thinking about you Lamont. ;) Please keep us posted.

Spydroe
08-06-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm sure you tried disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it. Johns went into limp mode and what it turned out being was a bad key switch.

Questions
08-21-2008, 12:36 AM
While you were on your long distance trek, I had an iron butt ride on the M109R from Reno to Prescott to see Big Joe. Left Wed 8th, got to Prescott AZ around midnight after visiting Lake Mead, then we worked on my Air Ride, chatted about business and then I rode up to the Grand canyon South Rim before getting some sleep in Kingman AZ. Left Friday am got to Willow beach on the Colorado river where it was 117 degrees! I parked the bike got off and walked into the river with boots, mesh riding pants and just floated out there for 10 mins to cool off! RELIEF!

By the time I got back to the bike, the Kewlmetal outside temp gauge had gone past 120 degrees, past the F at the bottom and was on it's way to the -20 degree mark!!! 2 miles up to the main road and I was bone dry again!
http://i3.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/06/b0/0d6d_1_sbl.JPG

I quick ride along the Strip in Vegas and hosing myself down at each gas station, and putting ice in my gloves and helmet liner. I got home with over 1700 miles done on the trip at 1:30 am Saturday am. You were due to see Big Joe on the Saturday - sorry I couldn't stick around to shoot the breeze!! After all that, the air-ride leaked on the way back after changing the valve body and the pipes and checking the shock. It looks like the air is escaping from the front chamber into the rear chamber forciing it down, so Joe is going to swap out the shock - can't beat Kewlmetal for customer service!!

:2thumbs:

Lamonster
08-21-2008, 02:28 AM
Sorry I missed you and sorry about your air ride trouble. Mine turned out to be some bad grease in the ram. :sour: They are great folks to work with and just my luck they are good friends too. :doorag:

I was hot on the whole trip so I hear ya on that one. I had one day that I was cool and that was the rain day.

By the way after we left Big Joe said he had a Goldwing guy stop by the shop that did 11,000 miles in 11 days :shocked::yikes:

Now that's some crazy riding.:thumbup::doorag:

While you were on your long distance trek, I had an iron butt ride on the M109R from Reno to Prescott to see Big Joe. Left Wed 8th, got to Prescott AZ around midnight after visiting Lake Mead, then we worked on my Air Ride, chatted about business and then I rode up to the Grand canyon South Rim before getting some sleep in Kingman AZ. Left Friday am got to Willow beach on the Colorado river where it was 117 degrees! I parked the bike got off and walked into the river with boots, mesh riding pants and just floated out there for 10 mins to cool off! RELIEF!

By the time I got back to the bike, the Kewlmetal outside temp gauge had gone past 120 degrees, past the F at the bottom and was on it's way to the -20 degree mark!!! 2 miles up to the main road and I was bone dry again!
http://i3.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/06/b0/0d6d_1_sbl.JPG

I quick ride along the Strip in Vegas and hosing myself down at each gas station, and putting ice in my gloves and helmet liner. I got home with over 1700 miles done on the trip at 1:30 am Saturday am. You were due to see Big Joe on the Saturday - sorry I couldn't stick around to shoot the breeze!! After all that, the air-ride leaked on the way back after changing the valve body and the pipes and checking the shock. It looks like the air is escaping from the front chamber into the rear chamber forciing it down, so Joe is going to swap out the shock - can't beat Kewlmetal for customer service!!

:2thumbs: