PDA

View Full Version : Terrible mileage on my 214 RTS

caw001
02-04-2014, 06:08 PM
I've heard and read many times that the fuel mileage will go up after breakin... So when exactly does the fuel mileage begin to get a little better?

Mine is not fully broken in, but I've got 300mi on my 2014 RTS and am averaging just a hair over 100mi per tank... PER TANK! Not good, not even bad, but freaking horrible...nojoke

3 Wheel Addict
02-04-2014, 06:10 PM
That's worse than the V-twin got! :yikes::yikes:

Illinois Boy
02-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Something is seriously wrong with that picture...:yikes:

Bob Denman
02-04-2014, 06:25 PM
You're a bit shy on specifics... :shocked:
EXACTLY how far did you go on each fill-up, and exactly how much fuel did the bike take each time?
And; did you fill it all the way up, or just stop at a predetermined dollar amount? :dontknow:
Sorry; gotta ask this stuff... :D nojoke

xcopnyc
02-04-2014, 06:32 PM
I have a 2012 RTL 32-33 mpg. Today I was at the Honda shop A fellow from PA said he uses shell & it improved his mileage. I'll see on Thursday.:gaah:

SpyderAnn01
02-04-2014, 06:39 PM
I've heard and read many times that the fuel mileage will go up after breakin... So when exactly does the fuel mileage begin to get a little better?

Mine is not fully broken in, but I've got 300mi on my 2014 RTS and am averaging just a hair over 100mi per tank... PER TANK! Not good, not even bad, but freaking horrible...nojoke

Wow, that is horrible. The one I am riding had 1,300 miles on it when I got it and i have put on another 4,000 + and I can't say that I have seen a marked improvement but I am probably averaging 34 mpg. I just had the 3,000 mile service done last week and I didn't see any improvement in mpg after that either.

Let us know what you figure out.

bluestratos
02-04-2014, 06:42 PM
How many gallons did it take to fill the tank?

SpyderAnn01
02-04-2014, 06:46 PM
How many gallons did it take to fill the tank?

I was thinking the same thing.

SMOKEYG
02-04-2014, 06:57 PM
I HAVE AN 2012 SPYDER RT & I GET ABOUT A 100 MILES PER TANK AS WELL??? AND ITS WORST AT HIGHER SPEEDS ON THE HIGHWAY

Chupaca
02-04-2014, 06:58 PM
there must be something wrong in the calculation method fueling process or the fact it's only a 214..:roflblack: But you should be getting better than that. 300 miles is nowhere near broken in and if true you used three tankfulls. This would be about 16 mpg. Makes me suspect the first statement. The only other thing is the neighbors are getting great mileage...:roflblack:

crazyspyder
02-04-2014, 07:10 PM
I average about 26 mpg.... downhill about 28 ! DOES anyone know for sure how many gallons it takes to fill when you run out off gas- I ran out of gas and I could
swear it only took 4.6 gallons?:dontknow:

spacetiger
02-04-2014, 07:12 PM
Lacking any details, a guess might be one of the cylinders isn't firing; that would account for a drop in mileage by about 1/3.

Bob Ledford
02-04-2014, 07:18 PM
You're a bit shy on specifics... :shocked:
EXACTLY how far did you go on each fill-up, and exactly how much fuel did the bike take each time?
And; did you fill it all the way up, or just stop at a predetermined dollar amount? :dontknow:
Sorry; gotta ask this stuff... :D nojoke

Also is. That one or two up?

Town or city".

RTVIPER
02-04-2014, 07:23 PM
I run my tank until the light comes on and no bars (digital readout) are showing on fuel indicator. I put 5.9 gallons in one fill up.:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yike s:

NancysToy
02-04-2014, 07:29 PM
The first question I would ask would be how are you filling it. Inserting the nozzle too far can cause incomplete filling, and reduce your range. the only way to really gauge mileage is by filling it the same way each time and calculating the miles per gallon. The 2014 should do somewhat better in mileage than the old versions...and with a bigger tank should have more range. If your mpg is significantly low when calculated, see if you can get the dealer on your side to investigate. They usually don't look at mileage under warranty unless it is abysmal, but a good dealer will try to solve it for you.

bruiser
02-04-2014, 07:32 PM
I average about 26 mpg.... downhill about 28 ! DOES anyone know for sure how many gallons it takes to fill when you run out off gas- I ran out of gas and I could
swear it only took 4.6 gallons?:dontknow:

There is only 6 gallons of usable gas. On empty with the fuel light on I can usually put in 4.9, If I run it an extra 20 miles after the fuel light comes on I put in 5.5 gals. My question is, did you run it completely out, or to empty by the gauge?

Blue Star
02-04-2014, 07:40 PM

My test spyder now has 7000 miles on it, my fuel light comes around 182 miles, and the average fill up is 6 gallons.

ARtraveler
02-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Fuel mileage can be all over the place depending on many factors. The tank capacity on the 2014 RT is 6.9 gallons. We have not yet determined the actual usable gallons involved. Many people have reported 170+ miles before the fill up light goes on. Most are also reporting 34 or so mpg.

Previous reports on pre-2014 machines have shown average 30-31 mpg. That has also been my experience over four different :spyder2:'s and 90,000 + miles.

The recommendation to fill the same way each time is right on. The most I have ever put in a tank was 5.8 gallons and that was at 185 miles on the tank. (31.8 mpg). When filling I always run the gas almost up to the O ring but do not fill beyond that point. I zero the trip meter and am then ready for the next go around. I calculate mpg by taking miles driven on the trip meter divided by number of gallons put in. I go to the nearest 10th on mileage and gallons. I use the digital gas gauge and the fill up lights usually come on between 140 and 150 miles on the trip meter.

If you are already following this procedure, then there may be something wrong with the :ani29:. Based on what you have said, I recommend the above procedure for the next couple tanks or so.

Texas
02-04-2014, 08:01 PM
100 per tank????? You must be at full open throttle 98% of the time. I got 177 miles on my first tank and only needed 5 gallons when I filled up (35 MPG). I haven't ridden since, but I believe I can top that mileage on my second tank. I am shooting for low 40's (I'm thinking about 42 MPG), which I'll be content with, considering my other two bikes average 48 and 51 MPG. If you're looking for better mileage, my suggestion is to put it in ECO mode, keep it at 55 MPH or less and anticipate stop lights and immediately let off the throttle; coasting to the light. I promise you much better mileage.

-Texas

Texas
02-04-2014, 08:06 PM
There is only 6 gallons of usable gas. On empty with the fuel light on I can usually put in 4.9, If I run it an extra 20 miles after the fuel light comes on I put in 5.5 gals. My question is, did you run it completely out, or to empty by the gauge?

When I filled up on my first and only tank so far, I put in a even 5 gallons (saw it bubbling at the top, so I stopped) and the fuel light had never even come on. There were still two bars showing.

Nils888
02-04-2014, 08:52 PM
I am getting around 29mpg. I go around 140 miles between fill up's. 4.7 to 4.9 gallons every time I have fill up so far. I have only used ECO mode once.
all the rest of the time was riding 2 up on canyon roads.

happyspyder2039
02-04-2014, 09:04 PM

Mine is not fully broken in, but I've got 300mi on my 2014 RTS and am averaging just a hair over 100mi per tank... PER TANK! Not good, not even bad, but freaking horrible...nojokewinter time fuel can have extra water that can cause crappy gas. Might be that you just got a batch of bad gas.. Also how long do you let the bike idle before or after ryding can have an effect on things. I suggest you try shell station on next fuel up. Also Pick up bg44K from a Napa store its a bit pricey but will clear things up if you got bad gas & check tire pressures

SpyderAnn01
02-04-2014, 09:15 PM
He just posted on Facebook that the Spyder broke down and won't turn over. He has lights and radio but it won't crank. He's having it towed.

NetJunkie
02-04-2014, 09:20 PM
If you're looking for better mileage, my suggestion is to put it in ECO mode, keep it at 55 MPH or less and anticipate stop lights and immediately let off the throttle; coasting to the light. I promise you much better mileage.

-Texas

That sounds like an awful way to ryde. :p

Guzzi
02-04-2014, 09:28 PM
1st fillup on my 2014 RT LIMITED. Warning light on at 180 miles. Gassed up at 185 miles. Took 5.649 gallons. 1st tank at 32.8 mpg. Pretty damn good, compared to my 2012 RTS which only averaged 27.6 mpg for 14000 miles. I'm pleased!!! :spyder2:

Nils888
02-04-2014, 10:06 PM
He just posted on Facebook that the Spyder broke down and won't turn over. He has lights and radio but it won't crank. He's having it towed.Where on facebook?

NancysToy
02-04-2014, 10:30 PM
He just posted on Facebook that the Spyder broke down and won't turn over. He has lights and radio but it won't crank. He's having it towed.
Kill switch? Foot not on the brake with Spyder in gear?

SpyderAnn01
02-04-2014, 11:15 PM
Kill switch? Foot not on the brake with Spyder in gear?

I had asked about the foot on the brake and that wasn't it but I just checked back and it looks like it was the kill switch

Knarfoh
02-04-2014, 11:34 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?59375-2012-Spyder-RT-S-SM5-Gas-Mileage-Chart

Bob Denman
02-05-2014, 08:17 AM
Did you notice how quickly this OP's initial question got sidetracked into everybody else telling how great or lousy their mileage was?
And we STILL haven't heard back from OP...

StanProff
02-05-2014, 08:17 AM
I routinely run 150 miles or so before getting gas on my 2010. I have gone over 160 just to see if it will (had a small rotopax can in the frunk just in case) I go by the odometer and pay NO attention to the low fuel light. It is easy to be quick on the draw and start looking for gas when the low light comes on. I see no way a Spyder is only going to get 16 miles to the gallon. If the bike is hitting on all cylinders there is a problem with the math.

Dan_Ashley
02-05-2014, 10:28 AM
Did you notice how quickly this OP's initial question got sidetracked into everybody else telling how great or lousy their mileage was?
Nope. Didn't notice that. Did you?

Nils888
02-05-2014, 10:37 AM
And we STILL haven't heard back from OP...sounds like the OP had other issues.:yikes:

Spyder Tony
02-05-2014, 11:12 AM
I had asked about the foot on the brake and that wasn't it but I just checked back and it looks like it was the kill switch

Yes, it was just the kill switch. I met him up where he was stranded & got him back up & going. Good news is he now knows to be sure the kill switch is in the "on" position prior to starting. Something that most of us have done in the beginning:gaah:

BRPcare
02-05-2014, 12:08 PM
... am averaging just a hair over 100mi per tank... PER TANK!...nojoke

Hello caw001,

You should definitely be getting better mileage than that. Please contact me via PM here or email at brp.care@brp.com ; I'd like to get more details (ie how much gas you are putting in the vehicle, driving style, etc) in order to solve this for you.

Bob Denman
02-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Yes, it was just the kill switch. I met him up where he was stranded & got him back up & going. Good news is he now knows to be sure the kill switch is in the "on" position prior to starting. Something that most of us have done in the beginning:gaah:
I wonder if THAT little tidbit, will end up on FaceBook? :dontknow: :D

Cruzr Joe
02-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Sounds like he is a newbie that needs some help in figuring out how to get the most bang for his buck on a Spyder, he needs someone to help him so he can enjoy the ride.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
02-05-2014, 12:46 PM
He's found the right place; let's hope that he takes advantage of the vast amount of accumated information contained here... :thumbup:

Blue Star
02-05-2014, 05:44 PM

Been there, done that :opps:

Bob Denman
02-05-2014, 06:08 PM
We all probably "Own that sign..." :opps:

caw001
02-06-2014, 01:14 AM
I love all the speculation due to lack of detail! :cheers: Sorry about that....

I have to say I did not start paying attention to the statistics until my 3rd fill (one at the dealer, and two myself).

Both times I filled up It took "about" 4.5 gallons (didn't pay attention). The first time was at 98 mi. (this one got my attention). The second was somewhere around 200. This was all in town stop and go driving, and being the owner of a brand new Spyder I have to admit I may have been a little heavy throttled at times as I have been ryding atop a magnificent beast.

The third time I filled it I decided I needed to figure out how to reset the trip meters so I could get the real facts and I did just that. I did some freeway driving to and from work and I am currently at 335 total miles and a 1/4 of a tank as it sits level in my garage. That's about 130 miles on 3/4 of a tank. So if you do the math on that, things are not looking so bad. I will take her for a spin tomorrow and refill again to get an accurate mileage burn.

I also have never waited to see the fuel light come on (quite frankly, didn't know there was one). Once I cross the black 1/4 tank marker I have been refilling because I just felt like It was going to burn that last bit of gas faster than I expected.

Yep its new, there is learning to be had. I've been trying the eco mode, but it seems that it always wants me in 6th gear. In stop and go driving that's not always possible to make that stretch and feel like you are doing the motor any justice.

We'll see how things go over the next couple tanks as the newness wears off. Does the "I just want to grab the throttle and GO!!!" feeling ever go away? I sure hope not...

caw001
02-06-2014, 01:17 AM
I wonder if THAT little tidbit, will end up on FaceBook? :dontknow: :D

It did... I owned up to it...

caw001
02-06-2014, 01:19 AM

Sorry, been working and dealing with an idiot kill switch issue... lol.... I provided all the details just now...

szohar
02-06-2014, 01:45 AM
I guess there are two main reasons:

You only did 300 miles, check this again after 4,000 miles (next week).
You are in California, with as many clicks on the pump you will get, you will be missing at least 1 gallon, every time I am out of California I can get more then 160 miles on my 2012 RT, in California the most I ever got was 134 miles.

caw001
02-06-2014, 02:26 AM
I guess there are two main reasons:

You only did 300 miles, check this again after 4,000 miles (next week).

Correct! That's why I asked about when I would start seeing better mileage beyond break in mileage admitting that I knew 300 was low... Not sure about the California generalization, but once I fill next time I should have a definite more accurate reading of the mileage. Paying attention helps... :)

Bob Denman
02-06-2014, 08:11 AM
Thanks for filling in some of the blanks! :thumbup:
Do you use the trip odometers to figure out your mileage between fill-ups? :dontknow:
(If I'm not the most anal-retentive person on the Planet; I feel sorry for the one that it... :opps:)
Pick one of them...A, or B.
At each fill-up; note the mileage and actual gallons...
Zero that odometer...
Do the Math; at your leisure.
;)
It'll allow you to keep an accurate picture of your fuel usage at your fingertips. (Or in your pocket anyway! :D)

Hawk
02-06-2014, 09:22 AM
Also keep in mind as someone stated. If you put the nozzle all the way in and stop when it clicks the first time, your not totally filling the tank. My method is to put it all the way in, let it go until it stops, then pull the handle out until there is about 2 inches of nozzle in the neck of the tank. Slowly fill it until I see the fuel just barely starts to splash out of the vent holes.

SpyderAnn01
02-06-2014, 11:20 AM

I have to say I did not start paying attention to the statistics until my 3rd fill (one at the dealer, and two myself).

Both times I filled up It took "about" 4.5 gallons (didn't pay attention). The first time was at 98 mi. (this one got my attention). The second was somewhere around 200. This was all in town stop and go driving, and being the owner of a brand new Spyder I have to admit I may have been a little heavy throttled at times as I have been ryding atop a magnificent beast.

The third time I filled it I decided I needed to figure out how to reset the trip meters so I could get the real facts and I did just that. I did some freeway driving to and from work and I am currently at 335 total miles and a 1/4 of a tank as it sits level in my garage. That's about 130 miles on 3/4 of a tank. So if you do the math on that, things are not looking so bad. I will take her for a spin tomorrow and refill again to get an accurate mileage burn.

I also have never waited to see the fuel light come on (quite frankly, didn't know there was one). Once I cross the black 1/4 tank marker I have been refilling because I just felt like It was going to burn that last bit of gas faster than I expected.

Yep its new, there is learning to be had. I've been trying the eco mode, but it seems that it always wants me in 6th gear. In stop and go driving that's not always possible to make that stretch and feel like you are doing the motor any justice.

We'll see how things go over the next couple tanks as the newness wears off. Does the "I just want to grab the throttle and GO!!!" feeling ever go away? I sure hope not...

No, it never goes away. I have decided that on my current tank of fuel I will use the Eco Mode for the entire tank. It makes me feel like I'm a 90 year old driving a huge Buick 30 mph in the left lane. I almost always take off too fast and that overrides the Eco mode but I'm trying.

Bob Denman
02-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Ann,
Retrieve your seat belt; it's hanging out the bottom of the closed door, and is throwing sparks! :shocked:

Pirate looks at --
02-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Yep happened to me about 3 weeks into my bike. I was on aRyde sponsored by a dealer and as we were leaving the darn thing would not start, couldn't figure it out. Asked one of the employees to assist and they hit the kill switch into the on position, and BAM it started right up:banghead:

cuznjohn
02-06-2014, 12:50 PM
of us have forgotten to put the kickstand down when getting gas or getting off the bike, 2 wheels

Yazz
02-06-2014, 01:23 PM
of us have forgotten to put the kickstand down when getting gas or getting off the bike, 2 wheels

Did that a couple times when wasps flew down the back of my jacket. :opps:
Another is leaving your bike parked in 1st gear, then starting it up without holding in the clutch. :gaah:

jwulf74
02-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Or cussing and spitting and getting real mad because the $!&%$! thing won't go in reverse. Had to push it out of the garage just so we could go for s ride on our only 40 degree day in Jan... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Wife then asks...did you hold the R button while down shifting?

:opps:

Won't forget that for a while...

bluestratos
02-06-2014, 02:52 PM
If you use Fuely to track you fuel consumption it will provide an over all average. I love to ride my bike.. I mean ride fast and hard so I have dropped my 2011 near 20, my best was 32 if I recall. My over average is 27 which is a mix of every thing, trailer, 2 up, fast twisties and scenic drives. I am looking forward to see what my 2014 will do over time but I know it will be better, not that I was unhappy with 27 mpg either.

ARtraveler
02-06-2014, 03:01 PM

This was posted in #18 and may have got lost in the shuffle.

"The recommendation to fill the same way each time is right on. The most I have ever put in a tank was 5.8 gallons and that was at 185 miles on the tank. (31.8 mpg). When filling I always run the gas almost up to the O ring but do not fill beyond that point. I zero the trip meter and am then ready for the next go around. I calculate mpg by taking miles driven on the trip meter divided by number of gallons put in. I go to the nearest 10th on mileage and gallons. I use the digital gas gauge and the fill up lights usually come on between 140 and 150 miles on the trip meter.

If you are already following this procedure, then there may be something wrong with the :ani29:. Based on what you have said, I recommend the above procedure for the next couple tanks or so."

The use of the fuel gauge 1/4 left indicator is probably not the most accurate way to determine remaining fuel in the tank.

cuznjohn
02-06-2014, 03:07 PM
what i had posted b4 about my gas mileage and i am averaging 27 MPG

BikerDoc
02-06-2014, 03:53 PM

Mine is not fully broken in, but I've got 300mi on my 2014 RTS and am averaging just a hair over 100mi per tank... PER TANK! Not good, not even bad, but freaking horrible...nojoke Something is seriously wrong with your individual bike if that is the case.. I have ridden close to 5000 miles with the 2014 RT LTD and i get 200 miles a tank routinely

Spyder Tony
02-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Hello caw001,

You should definitely be getting better mileage than that. Please contact me via PM here or email at brp.care@brp.com ; I'd like to get more details (ie how much gas you are putting in the vehicle, driving style, etc) in order to solve this for you.

I don't mean to hijack this thread OR divert it from it's original topic of average MPG on 2014's, but I have to say that I am impressed with the speed at which a BRP representative stepped in.
Not that it's any of my business, but i'd love to know what the conversation between the OP and BRP consisted of...not verbatim, just the gist of the conversation. Might entail some useful nuggets of info for other 2014 owners.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

SpyderAnn01
02-06-2014, 05:30 PM
Did that a couple times when wasps flew down the back of my jacket. :opps:
Another is leaving your bike parked in 1st gear, then starting it up without holding in the clutch. :gaah:

When I had to switch back to the 2011 SM last week I couldn't figure out how to start it. Forgot to pull in the clutch.

Bob Denman
02-06-2014, 06:54 PM
:shocked: Gee...
That almost sounds like a good reason, to pop for the, "ESSIE"! :D

SpyderAnn01
02-06-2014, 06:57 PM
:shocked: Gee...
That almost sounds like a good reason, to pop for the, "ESSIE"! :D

No, it just means I'm getting old and forgetful.

Bob Denman
02-06-2014, 07:22 PM
:D I sure doubt that!! :D

caw001
02-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Also keep in mind as someone stated. If you put the nozzle all the way in and stop when it clicks the first time, your not totally filling the tank. My method is to put it all the way in, let it go until it stops, then pull the handle out until there is about 2 inches of nozzle in the neck of the tank. Slowly fill it until I see the fuel just barely starts to splash out of the vent holes.

I did lift the nozzle out to make sure it was full...

mlrhsvdoc
03-19-2014, 12:12 AM
I HAVE AN 2012 SPYDER RT & I GET ABOUT A 100 MILES PER TANK AS WELL??? AND ITS WORST AT HIGHER SPEEDS ON THE HIGHWAY

I have a little over 9.5K mi. and get 0nly 28+ MPG

sassoman
03-19-2014, 07:27 AM
We have around 800 miles on our 2014 RT and so far have been averaging a little over 34 mpg riding two up.

caw001
03-19-2014, 09:13 AM
Update: So I'm averaging about 28mpg on my Spyder now. 2014... Still not great. Hoping it gets better. Most of my driving is freeway driving, so I would think it would be better....

- Chris

Hawk
03-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Update: So I'm averaging about 28mpg on my Spyder now. 2014... Still not great. Hoping it gets better. Most of my driving is freeway driving, so I would think it would be better....

- Chris

Well at least that is more inline of what you should get. I am getting a little more, some even more. Freeway driving is not the best for fuel economy (you would think it would be, like a car). Unless your driving 55 on the freeway, that is. If your like me and ride 80 + or - a few MPH, you will probably only get around 28-32. Also depends on windshield a bit. If you keep it all the way up, less MPG. I try to lower mine to the point the wind is just going over my head. Its only about an inch or two, but it changes the angle slightly of the windshield from all the way up.

Look at my Fuelly below. The last 5 fuel ups were mostly interstate going to Daytona and back. I got 26 one tank.

pwilbarger
03-19-2014, 10:32 AM

Been there, done that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mlrhsvdoc
09-28-2014, 11:32 PM
Thanks for all the input, I did good milage calculations from tank to tank and then it wasn't good. However now I'm 30 to 34, except at the 75 to 80 open road down to 22 to 24!
started to add the enzyme for the alcohol contant, and of course hi test. I do trips and around town. thanks for your help, Mike

mindman
09-29-2014, 07:32 AM
Definitely something wrong here! On our ride yesterday, we got - get ready - 48 MPG!!
Now here's what I've noticed:
For Spyderquest earlier this month it was rainy and very windy on our way to the host hotel. We were on the highway moving at about 70-75 MPH. We were also pulling the trailer. You could actually feel the wind slowing down the Spyder (we have a 2014 RT-L). We got 31 MPG. Same thing on the way back home. Heavy winds, highway speeds over 65 MPH, and the trailer.

The weekend after Spyderquest we went camping in Maine. Same thing: Rain, heavy winds, highway over 65....again....31MPG.

This past weekend's trip was all back roads. Long easy cruising at speeds varying between 40 and only rarely up to 60. Not too many lights...just long country roads. We did the entire 217.4 mile trip on 4.5 gallons. No lie.

As you can see there are a lot of variables that can affect mileage. If your travel profile looks more like our "lousy" mileage, that could be the problem. If not, then I'd suspect something mechanical maybe.

We have a little over 3,000 miles on our RT-L so just out of break in period. Before this our high mileage mark (same exact route as the 48 MPG trip this weekend) was 41MPG.

Hope this helps a little

MexSpyder
10-09-2014, 12:49 PM
My spyder just went thru 10,000kms. I actually think the mileage got worse after the whole filter and oil service. I used to be able to ride for about 220 kms on a tank when I went to my ranch on highway at speeds of 150 to 180 km/h . The ranch is 102 kms from the city. Now I get to the ranch with 1/4 left in the tank. I was lookin forward to the mileage getting better but got the contrary..

MexSpyder
10-09-2014, 12:53 PM
By the way, I noticed when I ride it in rain the mileage gets better. I think the water cools down the bike and that helps. Because when the bike gets hot on high speeds , the bike starts smelling like gas.

ARtraveler
10-09-2014, 12:53 PM
My last tank was 36.47 (36 mpg). Normal, 40-41. I am attributing the lower mileage to the colder temperatures outside. My car always gets less mpg in the winter. Another possibility, winter grade gas?

My driving techniques and my fill-up procedure has not changed.

cmungen
10-09-2014, 12:58 PM
fill to same level all the time, then devide miles traveled by the gallons.
I drive it fast and dont care about milage. i average 30mpg in first 2k miles.

carl

BajaRon
10-09-2014, 02:50 PM
My spyder just went thru 10,000kms. I actually think the mileage got worse after the whole filter and oil service. I used to be able to ride for about 220 kms on a tank when I went to my ranch on highway at speeds of 150 to 180 km/h . The ranch is 102 kms from the city. Now I get to the ranch with 1/4 left in the tank. I was lookin forward to the mileage getting better but got the contrary..

What weight oil did they use? Regular, blended or synthetic? It can make a difference.

joebryanjr
10-09-2014, 03:36 PM
I have been disappointed that I have not broken the 40MPG mark. I average about 38+. 2014 RTS SE6. Around town and out on country roads.

Perhaps you are riding the 2014 like a 2012 with higher revs in lower gears. Just a guess.

Bob Denman
10-10-2014, 07:51 AM
My last tank was 36.47 (36 mpg). Normal, 40-41. I am attributing the lower mileage to the colder temperatures outside. My car always gets less mpg in the winter. Another possibility, winter grade gas?

My driving techniques and my fill-up procedure has not changed.

Yup! :thumbup: The cooler, denser air that's going in the bike, requires a denser charge of fuel. (More of it! :D).

BajaRon
10-10-2014, 08:11 AM
Yup! :thumbup: The cooler, denser air that's going in the bike, requires a denser charge of fuel. (More of it! :D).

True, but colder, denser air combined with the added fuel is more efficient. The net result should be giving you BETTER fuel mileage. Otherwise, everyone would be ducting the intake air off the exhaust manifold. This is why car manufacturers go to so much trouble to duct ambient air to the intake.

Bob Denman
10-10-2014, 08:36 AM
It does produce more power... but I've yet to see a vehicle that didn't get a little bit better fuel mileage, once the temperatures climbed. :D
Perhaps it's because we're cold; we're in a hurry to get the trip over with, and are stoking the fires more vigorously? :dontknow: